Once Upon A Time

Nollaig

Anyone here (aside from myself and Kell), watch this show?

It's an American fantasy/drama show starring Robert Carlyle and a host of actually-very-talented relatively-unknowns.

It's about a place in Maine called Storybrooke, populated by fairytale characters (Snow White, Prince Charming, Cinderella, Rumplestiltskin, Gepetto and Jiminy Cricket, Hansel & Gretal to name a few), who have forgotten who they are. The Evil Queen has sent them there as a punishment, to take away their happy endings. However one little boy has a storybook which tells how things are really supposed to be, he knows the truth - and has recruited the one person he knows can lift the curse, if she'll only believe in it and help him.

It alternates between two timelines - the history of the characters in their native Enchanted Forest before the curse and corresponding real-life events that occur in Storybrooke.

The continuity is fantastic - you start off not knowing who each of the Storybrooke citizens were in the Enchanted Forest, but on a (mostly episode-by-episode) basis, their identities are revealed, also revealing very surprising relations between the characters, and also jumping back and forth in the history timeline, with almost every episode having that wonderful pieces-suddenly-fitting feeling as some new revelation occurs. In addition, they are almost all darker and very original spins on the old fairytales, so it's all very fresh while also feeling familiar.

Personally I think the actors are fantastic, particularly Robert Carlyle as Rumplestilskin, but they really are all very very good.

Anyway, shameless plugging over, does anyone else here watch it, and if not have I convinced you? :D

I can vouch for how fab the series is and how brilliant Robert Carlyle is as Rumplestitlskin/Mr Gold. His manic giggle as the former is just creeptastic and his mildly threatening in an "I'm not threatening at all, honest" kind of way as the latter is perfect.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Michelle - I don't know if a second season has been confirmed, but I know most of the actors are on board with a second season, and I think there are plans for one. I honestly don't know WHERE this season is going to go.

The only mention of the series getting renewed has been in the article below where they say they're on the verge of issuing an early renewal for it (though a rep declined to comment). Hope its true, I love this show! At first it seemed a little slow going but now that feeling has turned into an 'I can't wait to see what happens next!' suspense.

http://tvline.com/2012/03/23/greys-anatomy-castle-revenge-once-upon-a-time-renewed/

• 1 month later...

I finished watching the first season last week and I really loved it! My favourite episode was the one with the Mad Hatter in it (I'm a big Alice in Wonderland-fan actually.) His quotes/lines were simply fantastic, along with his background story.

It's also nice how the creators didn't want to make everyone look black & white (like in the original tales, I guess?), so I could feel sorry for Rumplestilskin and sometimes even for The Evil Queen - or at least understand them and their messed up actions. Same goes for the seemingly good/innocent characters! They appeared a lot more real with their flaws and various problems.

I saw an ad for this on TV the other night. It'll be starting here soon and I'll definitely be checking it out. :)

Wow, I posted this in last January and the show only started here last week. That means they were plugging the show for 5 months before they aired it! Ridiculous.

Anyway, I've watched the first two eps now. It's a bit slow, but given Noll's extensive hype (;)), I'm going to keep watching it because I know it must get better. :)

I looooooooove it *_____*

Jennifer Morrison is great and, obviously, Robert Carlyle has my heart, too.

I forgot her name, but the one acting Red is gorgeous! S2

Also, the plot is very interesting and the connections between the characters and their two lives are intriguing and amazing.

I cried a lot when I saw the episode about Belle and the Beast. S2

The Beauty and the Beast episode broke my heart, and kind of ruined the original film haha! Now all I see is the OUAT story!

I'm not mad about Jennifer Morrison, and her character drives me nuts. She did for the entire season.

The whole series overall has massive ups and downs, and there was a point mid-season (just after B&tB, actually), where I thought it was doomed. Also wasn't entirely happy with the finale, but there were some fantastic episodes leading up to it. I agree with whoever said about the Mad Hatter being a great character - absolutely fantastic quotes out of him, I've them saved in a word document but I won't write them here!

Kylie, I was SOLD in the first two episodes, so I hope you do end up enjoying it :/

Noll, is it all going to be wrapped up by the end of the season, or will there be a further season?

It's wrapped up, yet left open in the most delicious way! ;)

Michelle - I don't know if a second season has been confirmed, but I know most of the actors are on board with a second season, and I think there are plans for one. I honestly don't know WHERE this season is going to go.

Season 2 will air in October this year (US schedule). HURRAH! :)

The Beauty and the Beast episode broke my heart, and kind of ruined the original film haha! Now all I see is the OUAT story!

Couldn't agree more, OUAT totally overwrote everything Disney & co. for me! Same goes for Red's story... I love the dark twists the creators use to give the eps some boost.

Couldn't agree more, OUAT totally overwrote everything Disney & co. for me! Same goes for Red's story... I love the dark twists the creators use to give the eps some boost.

The Red episode was fantastic. I was gutted we didn't see more of her character in use once we found out her full story, but I liked the attitude she adopted in later episodes. Very gung-ho, which is awesome.