Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks - BBC Adaptation

Janet

:lol:

Fingers crossed! I like Call the Midwife that's on just before it, so Sunday night viewing could continue to be perfect in the absence of Sherlock!

I'm recording Call The Midwife as I still haven't read the book yet, I was going to read it next but a library book had to take priority as someone else has pre-ordered it, I'll get to it next!!! :smile:

I loved the book, but I couldn't get into this. :( I gave up after about half an hour.

I'm struggling with it too Janet, it's very wooden and doesn't remotely express the emotion within the book, I'll watch the rest of the first episode tomorrow but I feel I may give up too, such a shame :-(

I missed the start and saw the last 10 minutes pre war before it cut to the trenches, it did seem very wooden and lacked the passion of the book, I remember the love scenes being quite racy were there actually any in the adaptation??

Maybe it was good I missed it then judging by th luke warm reaction on here! I loved that book, it reduced me to tears at the end I think.

I found this very slow-going too. It seemed to want to just present frozen tableaux of idyliic French life before the war and the stares into the camera were getting on my nerves. I find Redmayne's quite disconcerting to watch - although I think Isobel is very pretty.