Life on mars

~Andrea~

I guess I haven't really thought that seriously about it, but I just felt like after all the time Sam spent in 1973, whether it be real of in his head, he felt more a part of it than he did 2006.

I think the jump off the roof must have occurred some time after him waking from the coma, because he wouldn't be back in meetings the week after going through something like that, and because his hair was complete (unless I missed a shaved patch) and that he probably decided that he didn't want to live.

It was a gamble for him. Who was to say that he wouldn't just die outright after jumping from a building, and never go back to 1973?

Back in 1973, yes, he betrayed them, but he also went back to save them, and he could have just walked away. He knew that despite his methods, Gene was basically a good cop, and that history shows that the racism/sexism in the force wouldn't have ended in 1973 just because Sam bought down one cop. Sam has the ability to make Gene think about right and wrong - he was always the moral voice, and Gene did listen to him, even if he didn't always agree or conduct himself in the right manner. Change takes time, and I believe that if 1973 was real, and Sam did go back, then he would be able to change things with Gene.

I suppose the test card girl could have been signifying Sam's death?

I guess for someone who remembers the 70s, albeit that I was only 7 in '73, it had great nostalgic value and I just enjoyed it as a bit of fun. Each episode was great (with Camberwick Green being the greatest of all), and I'm glad it only went on for two series.

I guess for someone who remembers the 70s, albeit that I was only 7 in '73, it had great nostalgic value and I just enjoyed it as a bit of fun. Each episode was great (with Camberwick Green being the greatest of all), and I'm glad it only went on for two series.

I was 8 in 73 and have such vivid memories of that time (plus I was brought up in Manchester, plus my best friend's dad was in the CID) so for me it was real nostalgia buzz and it was really well done and recognisable as the world I remembered. For me it was both a trip down memory lane and a bit of fun. I loved the comparison of then and now - quite topical at the moment and interesting that when he came back to now momentarily 73 seemed more normal.

i thought the last episode was awful

sad really. it answered questions, but in an unsatisfactory way. i've been addicted to this show and now feel a tad let down by it

Oh what a shame, I really enjoyed the last episode.

• 1 year later...

We missed this when it was on, and have just watched the last episode from the box set. All in all, I did enjoy the last one, but I wasn't exactly clear what had happened.

I did wonder if his mind had shown him what life would be like if he woke, and he therefore decided not to wake up, and let himself die.

But, according to this article, it was meant to be literal.. he really did wake up, then committed suicide.

Although that's pretty dark, I actually felt relieved that he went back to them, because I felt so involved in that life, and those characters.. if that makes sense?

But, according to this article, it was meant to be literal.. he really did wake up, then committed suicide.

Although that's pretty dark, I actually felt relieved that he went back to them, because I felt so involved in that life, and those characters.. if that makes sense?

I liked the ending too. Although I thought that

he had gone into another coma rather than committed suicide.

What was the article Michelle?

Andrea, I wondered that too, which is why I went searching to find out what was really meant. Sorry, I forgot to add the link.. it's here (read down a bit).

The first episode of Ashes to Ashes makes it all quite clear aswell.. have you seen it?

Ah I see. I hadn't interpreted it that way at all. Thanks for the link.

I caught a bit of Ashes to Ashes but didn't see the first episode. It didn't live up the Life on Mars for me and so I never bothered with it again.