How do you arrange your books into collections?

vodkafan

On my first Kindle I had totally different collections. On my new one I have simplified it somewhat.

Here is how I arrange them now :

1. Vampires horror paranormal

2. crime detective mystery

3. miscellaneous Genre dump

4. non fiction and popular science

5. Classics

6. Amazon freebie dump

7. memoirs and biographies

8. sci fi and fantasy

9. Anything Victorian

10.Popular contempary fiction.

The genre dump is for ones that I know I will only try one or two of a type.

The amazon freebie dump is so they are all together, so I can look back in a year and judge whether on the whole they are worth downloading.

Oh and by the way I don't add a book to a collection until after I have actually read it. So all those outside of collections become my TBR pile and I see them all the time.

How about you ?

I started out with different sections but then almost immediately simplified it to the following sections:

• Reading now
  • Classics to be read
  • Contemporary to be read
  • Finished

And that's it. :)

I started out with different sections but then almost immediately simplified it to the following sections:

• Reading now
  • Classics to be read
  • Contemporary to be read
  • Finished

And that's it. :)

That is simple. So it's either classic or contemporary for you, genre doesn't figure in it? Interesting.

Where would you place a book like say, Name Of The Rose, which is fairly recent?

That is simple. So it's either classic or contemporary for you, genre doesn't figure in it? Interesting.

Where would you place a book like say, Name Of The Rose, which is fairly recent?

I would pop it in contemporary. I class anything written pre-WWI as classic and anything after that as contemporary. Some might be modern classics; those in both sections may well have different genres (Dracula would be a classic, but is also a horror for example). I figured it was a way to make sure I actually read some classics. If I left all the books together or divided into genres, I'd be tempted ot stick with the same stuff all the time. This way I can make a conscious decision to pick up a classic. I may even alternate a contemporary with a classic each time. Obviously it depends on my mood, but we'll see how it goes. I read 30% of Agnes Grey tonight! :)

I have only a few collections:

Fiction

General non-fiction

Biographies and memoirs

Reference

Misc (which also inlcudes things which might fit into the above categories, but I want to hold somewhere else until I know if I like them).

I put a book in into the collection as soon as I download it, but think I might change that and also keep unread ones out of collections :-)

My kindle has the following;

Miscellaneous Fiction

Non Fiction

Young Adult

Sci Fi & Fantasy

Husband's Books (it's my kindle, but I collect for him too!)

Read (but not yet archived)

Currently Reading & To Be Read (bumped into and out of as my mood takes me)

Classics, Myths & Legends

Arrange my books?? I wouldn't know where to begin! They're just all over the house, in no sense of order at all. Very often I've fancied reading a particular book and had to hunt for it for half an hour or so :)

This is my system as well :smile: though I often find in the hunt for a particular book I find another I fancy reading...so happy days

On my Kindle, I have:

Classics

20th Century

Folklore

Poetry

Japan/Asia

Emile Zola (I downloaded most of the Rougon-Macquart series)

There's also a section specifically for my boyfriend with stuff he likes.

How about you ?

I have them in one of the following collections:

Classics

Fiction

Fiction read

-----------

Biography

Education

History

Reference

Science

Travel reference

Travel writing

------------

Samples

Arrange my books?? I wouldn't know where to begin! They're just all over the house, in no sense of order at all. Very often I've fancied reading a particular book and had to hunt for it for half an hour or so :)

Completely the opposite!

Bedroom second floor: Travel, Sport, Natural and Landscape History

Front first floor = Fiction, History, Outsize

Landing first floor = Biography, London, Dickens

Back, first floor = all other nonfiction (mainly Science, Language, Essays and Books), Woolf, Children, Traditional stories

Kitchen = Food!

Each section has its own organisation, so for instance Travel is subdivided into continents and then author name, whilst History is also based on continents but then chronologically.

Hmmmm - obsessive or what?!

Edited by willoyd

I have them in one of the following collections:

Classics

Fiction

Fiction read

-----------

Biography

Education

History

Reference

Science

Travel reference

Travel writing

------------

Samples

Completely the opposite!

Bedroom second floor: Travel, Sport, Natural and Landscape History

Front first floor = Fiction, History, Outsize

Landing first floor = Biography, London, Dickens

Back, first floor = all other nonfiction (mainly Science, Language, Essays and Books), Woolf, Children, Traditional stories

Kitchen = Food!

Each section has its own organisation, so for instance Travel is subdivided into continents and then author name, whilst History is also based on continents but then chronologically.

Hmmmm - obsessive or what?!

Impressive!! Never heard of anything like that. But you never said what books are stored in the toilet..?

On my (ye olde worlde) kindle you just click 'create collection' on the Menu page.

Once you have your collections sorted, go to your first book and 'right push' the navigation button.

This brings up options including 'add to collection' which you click, this takes you to your home page where all the folders are, and at each stop you can 'add to this collection'. :smile:

Edited by Chrissy

To be read/Currently reading

Fiction

Non-fiction

Chick-lit

Classics

Crime/Thriller

Fantasy

Historical fiction

Humour

Maths

Memoir

My Year With Jane Austen

Science

Short stories

Travel

Young Adult

Reference

Books can be in more than one collection, and are removed from the To be read/Currently reading collection once I've finished reading them. When it gets closer to the summer, I will also add a Holiday collection, where I start to think about which books I want to read when I go away (e.g. I love reading Stuart Maconie on holiday, so will be buying his latest before then, but keeping it out of the TBR collection so I don't get tempted to peek before we go!).

Edited by chesilbeach

Yep, I'm a geek! My favourite subject at school, and I'm still interested but only read the occasional book. I only have one book in it at the moment (all my others are paperbacks), but I'll be adding more from my wish list eventually.

Quite a few of us around - my Maths books are stored under 'Science' for the moment as I've not really built up either electronic collection much yet to justify separate ones.