Cod, Mark Kurlansky

twixie

Subtitled 'Biography of the fish that changed the world', or something very similar.

I first picked it up out of interest in fishing and the dwindling resource it represents in today's world, and it didn't disappoint me.

Kurlansky writes in an informative yet interesting style, so even when presenting arguments you find yourself drawn into the book as if it is a story much lighter than what he is presenting.

Am just waiting for another of his, Salt, hopefully it will be as interesting as this.

He has done a number of other books, most notably one on the year 1968 and many of the 'world changing' events which took place.

Anyone read any of his work?

I read Cod a few years ago. I remember it was one of those books that I couldn't read in one go. I think I read about the first third then put it down for a few months and came back to it later. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy it, but there was just so much information to take in, and I found I couldn't read a lot in one go. It was a bit dry at times, but the subject was fascinating.