June's Around the World Book Challenge

Talisman

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished My Name is Salma by Fadia Faqir for Jordan - easily one of the best books I have read this year - about a Bedouin woman fleeing the threat of honour killing after she becomes pregnant outside of wedlock.

• 1 month later...

I didn't get much reading done during my summer holiday to Iceland, being far too busy walking, but did manage to finish another Japanese book on the subject of autism - The Reason I Jump by Naoki Higashida. I work with adults experiencing autism and this book certainly helped me to understand their behaviour. It was written by a young Japanese boy who is quite high on the spectrum about his own experiences of this, and comes highly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished my first new country in a while yesterday - What is the What? by Dave Eggers for South Sudan. This is a remarkable tale where Dave narrates the story of a young South Sudanese man who during his country's civil war waked all the way to Ethiopia and ultimately Kenya, where he basically grew up in a refugee camp before finally being allowed entry to the US as one of the so-called "Lost Boys". Eggers has written a whole series of this type of book, and I get the feeling I shall be reading a few of them. Along with the book from Sao Tome, this is easily the best I have read this year.   

I finished what I thought would be my last Jason Smart book - Flashpacking through Africa this afternoon. This one covers no less than 17 countries - Morocco, Egypt, Senegal, The Gambia, Ethiopia, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, Kenya, Seychelles, Comoros, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana, South Africa, Swaziland and Lesotho. Most of these countries I have already done, but 6 of them (the ones in italics) I hadn't.

I thought I had now finished all of his books, but another one has just been published about his travels through the Indian subcontinent, which has been added to my wish list.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished The Ring Tone and the Drum: Travels in the World's Poorest Countries by Mark Weston at lunchtime today. This is one man's account of his travels through three of West Africa's poorest nations - Guinea Bissau, Sierra Leone and Burkina Faso and comes highly recommended.   

Edited by Talisman

Finished The Ring Tone and the Drum: Travels in the World's Poorest Countries by Mark Weston at lunchtime today. This is one man's account of his travels through three of West Africa's poorest nations - Guinea Bissau, Sierra Leone and Burkina Faso and comes highly recommended.   

Just read the Amazon description, sounds really interesting- especially with what is going on in the world right now.  Thanks- I have downloaded the Sample.  I think your reading challenge is really cool :smile:

How are the wedding plans going?

Everything is well in hand - 2 weeks from now I shall be a married lady ! :kissing:

That is so exciting!  By the way you typed it, it sounds like you are excited and happy- have a very special day (I hope you post all about it!)  It will be perfect.

I'm sure you've read India in your book challenge, but I've been timid in telling you about Behind the Beautiful Forevers..  It's about one of the slums in the shadows of Mumbai (non fiction), by Katherine Boo.  It was one of my favorites of last year and reads fast at 290 pages.  If you liked the Ringtone and the Drum, I just thought you might like it too :smile:

Edited by Anna Begins

Thanks. I will look it up. To be honest though (and I suspect this is another thread) I am knackered with the whole wedding thing. It has been a rough day at work (one of the clients who had been in the home an incredible 66 years died last night), and neither of us have been sleeping well, and to be honest, I think we have got to the point where we just want to get it over with.

Thanks. I will look it up. To be honest though (and I suspect this is another thread) I am knackered with the whole wedding thing. It has been a rough day at work (one of the clients who had been in the home an incredible 66 years died last night), and neither of us have been sleeping well, and to be honest, I think we have got to the point where we just want to get it over with.

I am so so so sorry.  I know you must get attached to your patients.

And I know what you mean about just getting the wedding over with.  I planned mine for 7 months!  And it wasn't even THAT much to put together, just seemed tiring to get everything organized, ya know?

I finished another African book at lunch time today - and it was another good one - Voodoo Slaves and White Man's Graves by Tim Coote. This one covered no less than five countries - Benin, Togo, Ghana, Burkina Faso and Mali.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have managed to complete a few more countries in the last few weeks - all African ones. Canoeing the Congo by Phil Harwood for Zambia and Congo and The Last Gift by Abdulrazak Gurnah for Tanzania. Both brilliant books but different in their own way.

Edited by Talisman

• 6 months later...

I have been neglecting the challenge a bit of late while I concentrate on writing rather than reading, but have managed to get through a few more countries in the past few months:

The Atlantis Gene by AG Riddle for Gibraltar

Only God Can Make a Tree by Bertram Roach for Montserat/St Kitts (highly recommend this one)

Surviving Paradise: One Year on a Disappearing Island by Peter Rudiak-Gould for Marshall Islands 

• 3 months later...

I have managed to complete another couple of countries in the past few months:

A Farm in the South Pacific Sea by Jan Walker for Tonga

The Blue Hour by Alonso Cueto for Peru

The Cost of Sugar by Cynthia McLeod for Suriname (highly recommend this one)

Wake by Elizabeth Knox for New Zealand

Andorra: A Novel by Peter Cameron for Andorra

Mangrove Roots Chronicles by Wanjiru Uhuru for Belize (another great read)

The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway for Bosnia

I didn't realise there had been that many !

• 1 month later...

I have managed to complete a few more countries in the last month:

Crowds, Colours, Chaos: Travels in India, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh: Jason Smart

Infidel: Ayaan Hirsi Ali (Netherlands/Somalia) - strongly recommend this one, as one of the best books I have read this year 

The Mutineer: A Romance of Pitcairn Island: Walter Jeffrey

The list then continues to get shorter. 

Edited by Talisman

• 2 months later...

I have completed a few more countries in the last few months:

The Yacoubian Building by Alas al Aswany for Egypt

Gabon by Marius Gabriel for Gabon

Meeting the Middle East by Jason Smart for Qatar, Oman, Bahrain, Kuwait and Iraq

Izas Ballad by Magda Szabo for Hungary

Rapid Fire Europe by Jason Smart for Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Malta, Monaco, Luxembourg, Vatican City, San Marino, Austria

Whispering Shadows by Jan-Philipp Sendker for Hong Kong

The Fan Tan Players by Julian Lees for Macao

Hiroshima by John Hersey for Japan