Your book activity in 2012

Kell

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been feeling down since my doggy got put down yesterday (wednesday) and had to get out of the house for a bit (lots of memories everywhere). I ended up buying more books that I don't really need, and three bookshelves that I needed for the books I do have.

So sorry to hear about your doggy, Devi. We lost ours several weeks ago, and it's such a shock. I kept looking for him in the house, convinced I could see him out of the corner of my eye. :cry:

Even though I have plenty of books to read, I couldn't resist a book slurge. I have ordered the following from Amazon:

'War Horse'- Michael Morpurgo

'We Bought a Zoo: The Amazing true story of a browken-down zoo, and the 200 animals that changed a family forever'- Benjamin Mee

'The Art of Racing in the Rain'- Garth Stein

'The Hunger Games'- Suzanne Collins

'I Capture the Castle'- Dodie Smith

In the menatime, I have just over 100 pages before finishing 'Wuthering Heights' by Emily Bronte. So far, it's not the sort of book that I was expecting, but it is still a very good novel.

Some good books here, especially The Hunger Games and The Art of Racing in the Rain. :smile:

So sorry to hear about your doggy, Devi. We lost ours several weeks ago, and it's such a shock. I kept looking for him in the house, convinced I could see him out of the corner of my eye. :cry:

-----

I haven't been reading anything since wednesday, been feeling bad for it too.

I have been feeling down since my doggy got put down yesterday (wednesday) and had to get out of the house for a bit (lots of memories everywhere). I ended up buying more books that I don't really need, and three bookshelves that I needed for the books I do have.

Picture and lists on the way, I will get to writing that list, I promise.

I don't know if I had said it earlier or not but I bought a few more books online, the site was having a clearance sale, and also bought another from BD.

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog Devi :console:

Some good books here, especially The Hunger Games and The Art of Racing in the Rain. :smile:

I have seen trailers for 'The Hunger Games' and I thought it looked intriguing. I think I would rather read the books than the watch the film though. I'm also looking forward to taking part in the forum's Reading Circle, which seems to be ''I Capture the Castle'- Dodie Smith.

I've just had a long ramble through Amazon's Kindle Spring Sale. :blush2:

I may have 'accidentally' bought a few books, but I did spend less than £10;

Love You More by Lisa Gardner

An Indian Housewife's Recipe Book by Laxmi Khurana

The Passgae by Justin Cronin

Harbour by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Instead Of A Book: Letters To A Friend by Diana Athill

The Traveller's Pocket Bible by Paul Jenner & Christine Smith

Devi, very sorry about your dog, I know how hard it is. :empathy:

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog Devi :console:

Thanks guys :(

----

I don't know if it's the book or what's been happening lately, but I can't seem to really get into the kingdom by Clive Cussler and grant Blackwood. I Am enjoying it but it doesn't seem to be sucking me in like other books.

I finished The Sealed Letter ~ Emma Donoghue this morning, it's written by the author of Room, which was brilliant, this book is very different but very good! It's set in Victorian London and is based on a real life scandal in 1864, forbidden love and a rare divorce case!

Now I've started The Cold, Cold, Ground - Adrian McKinty a police story set in Belfast in the 1980's, good so far :smile:

Finished The Woman He Loved Before (Dorothy Koomson), her best book since The Ice Cream Girls I think.

Starting Half of the Human Race (Anthony Quinn).

Ordered The Last Echo: Violet Ambrose is the Body Finder (Kimberley Derting)

(That's 17 books so far this year which makes means I've read 34% towards by target of books this year already!) :smile::readingtwo::smile::readingtwo::smile:

I needed a pick-me-up today, so I went shopping and bought:

John Carey (ed) The Faber Book of Utopias

Lian Hearn Across the Nightingale Floor

Joseph Heller Portrait of an Artist, as an Old Man

Lauren Liebenberg The Voluptuous Delights of Peanut Butter and Jam

Judith Lucy The Lucy Family Alphabet

Even though I have plenty of books to read, I couldn't resist a book slurge. I have ordered the following from Amazon:

'War Horse'- Michael Morpurgo

'We Bought a Zoo: The Amazing true story of a browken-down zoo, and the 200 animals that changed a family forever'- Benjamin Mee

'The Art of Racing in the Rain'- Garth Stein

'The Hunger Games'- Suzanne Collins

'I Capture the Castle'- Dodie Smith

In the menatime, I have just over 100 pages before finishing 'Wuthering Heights' by Emily Bronte. So far, it's not the sort of book that I was expecting, but it is still a very good novel.

Oooh, you bought The Art of Racing In The Rain. I'll probably never stop recommending this book to people; it's just lovely. Hope you enjoy it :)

I'm still reading Arlington Park, by Rachel Cusk, but only have about 15 pages left, so will finish it at lunchtime. I won't be sorry to see the back of it. It's a character driven story, without a single likeable character. I do think that Cusk can write beautifully at times, but this book did nothing really for me.

I have downloaded a few freebies over the weekend, I read two books The Firestone Crystal by Linda M. David and Death of a Salesman by Timothy Brooks.

On the kindle I started to read Sin and Sacrifice by Danielle Bourdon and also got Before We Say Goodbye by Louise Candish in the post.

Quite a bookish weekend :)

Oooh, you bought The Art of Racing In The Rain. I'll probably never stop recommending this book to people; it's just lovely. Hope you enjoy it :)

Thanks, I'm sure I will enjoy this. I saw Clare Balding talk about the book on 'My Life in Books' and I decided to read this.

Anyway, I have just finished reading 'Wuthering Heights' by Emily Bronte. I enjoyed this novel, but it's going to take me a few days to process the book in my mind before writing a review of it.

As I'm waiting for my copy of 'I Capture the Castle' by Dodie Smith (this month's BCF book circle read) to arrive, I want something short to read in the meantime. So, I am just about to start reading 'The War of the Worlds' by H.G Wells.

I can't recommend this book highly enough, its up there with the best books I've ever read. Everyone should read this 'Unbroken' by Laura Hillenbrand. She also wrote Seabiscuit ......sorry if this is in wrong section of forum

Synopsis:

On a May afternoon in 1943, an Army Air Forces bomber crashed into the Pacific Ocean and disappeared, leaving only a spray of debris and a slick of oil, gasoline, and blood. Then, on the ocean surface, a face appeared. It was that of a young lieutenant, the plane’s bombardier, who was struggling to a life raft and pulling himself aboard. So began one of the most extraordinary odysseys of the Second World War.

The lieutenant’s name was Louis Zamperini. In boyhood, he’d been a cunning and incorrigible delinquent, breaking into houses, brawling, and fleeing his home to ride the rails. As a teenager, he had channelled his defiance into running, discovering a prodigious talent that had carried him to the Berlin Olympics and within sight of the four-minute mile. But when war had come, the athlete had become an airman, embarking on a journey that led to his doomed flight, a tiny raft, and a drift into the unknown.

Ahead of Zamperini lay thousands of miles of open ocean, leaping sharks, a foundering raft, thirst and starvation, enemy aircraft, and, beyond, a trial even greater. Driven to the limits of endurance, Zamperini would answer desperation with ingenuity; suffering with hope, resolve, and humour; brutality with rebellion. His fate, whether triumph or tragedy, would be suspended on the fraying wire of his will.

I finished The kingdom by Clive Cussler last night, wasn't bad but it wasnt great either.

I started The Fifth Child, I don't know if it's just my copy but there seems to be missing words and mixed up sentences here and there.

After the depressing Arlington Park - which I was glad to finish yesterday - I decided to read Gregory Peck: A Charmed Life, by Lynn Haney. Gregory Peck is one of my favourite actors, and although I only started this bio last night, it promises to be a good read :)

After the depressing Arlington Park - which I was glad to finish yesterday - I decided to read Gregory Peck: A Charmed Life, by Lynn Haney. Gregory Peck is one of my favourite actors, and although I only started this bio last night, it promises to be a good read :)

I'm not a great lover of the autobiography but I would think that this will be a good read. I too loved Gregory Peck he always came across as an honest to goodness gentleman.

In between books right at the moment. I lost my Uncle last week and haven't really felt like getting into anything meaty as yet.

In between books right at the moment. I lost my Uncle last week and haven't really felt like getting into anything meaty as yet.

Sorry to hear about your uncle :(:hug:

Edited by Devi