Michelle - 2012

Michelle

56 books now read, list updated, will be back with any reviews I get written. :)

I've also added some of the books I've abandoned or put on hold in the 2nd post of the thread. I'll copy it here in case anyone has any thoughts.

The Mammoth Book of Best New SF 25 - will be ongoing for some time, lots of stories, tiny print!

Amity & Sorrow - Peggy Riley - on hold, must get back to.

Ash - James Herbert - started off fairly interesting, but then became rather over the top.

The Knife of Letting Go - Patrick Ness - this was an audio version, and I found the dog's voice very annoying - I may pick it up one day, but I fear it's put me off.

Grimm Tales - Philip Pullman - I'll be dipping into this for a while, rather than reading cover to cover (and what a gorgeous cover!)

Speaks The Nightbird - Robert McCammon (audio) - this was slow but enjoyable, but it reached a point where I lost interest. I may finish it one day.

City of Dragons: The Wild Rain Chronicles 3 - Robin Hobb (audio) - again, these are slow but very enjoyable, and I was looking forward to part 3. However, I don't think I was in the right mood, so it's gone aside for later.

Hero of Ages: Mistborn 3 - Brandon Sanderson (audio) - I think I made the mistake of listening to all 3 books almost one after the other. It's a long story, and about half way through this one I ran out of steam.

Girl Reading - Katie Ford - Abandoned

Into The Darkest Corner - Elizabeth Haynes - abandoned

All Fall Down - Sally Nicholls - Amazon vine review book, so I must get back to it!

Rivers of London - Ben Aaronovitch - I know, so many people like it, but it didn't grab me that much. I will re-try.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone on here read a James Herbert book recently - I think it was Ash. I know he didn't like it at all (although I can't remember who it was - maybe Steve?).

I'm in the "loved Rivers of London" camp. I'd have said this was 'your thing' if asked - maybe you'll get on with it at a later stage? :)

Please let me know what you both think of it. :)

I haven't got a copy yet, I couldn't find a second book in the "Buy one get one half price" offer that I wanted (which is bloody typical as I could never find a third book in Waterstone's 3 for 2 offers either . . .).

I read the book of The Knife of Never Letting Go but can imagine that an audio version might be difficult to listen to due to the nature of the story. I chose it for my book group a couple of months ago, and everyone who read it, absolutely loved it, including those who read a couple of pages and initially thought they would hate it, but persevered because it was a book group choice and ended up completely loving it, and thanked me for recommending it as it was something they would never have read it otherwise.

• 3 weeks later...

Pantomime by Laura Lam...

Pantomime is published by Strange Chemistry, a YA imprint, but I would definitely class it as ‘cross-over’, as there’s plenty for all ages.

In fact, this is a book which is generally hard to place within a genre, although I would imagine the sci fi element may become more prominent in subsequent books. It’s set in a world which is not our own, but very similar. It has a Victorian feel to it, but also gives the impression of being set in a future somewhere. The main setting is a travelling circus, complete with trapeze artists, clowns, and a freak show.

Most importantly this book is about the characters. Iphigenia – or Gene, as she prefers, is the daughter of a noble family, who’s much happier being a tomboy. She also has a secret which threatens to ruin her future. Micah is a runaway who joins the circus as a way to escape. Both are going through a journey, trying to understand just who they are, and find acceptance.

The surrounding characters are also fascinating and well written, with secrets of their own. These people all find their way into your mind and heart, and stay with you long after the book is finished. I’ve read some excellent YA books this year, but this one may just my favoutite. It’s hard to believe that it’s a debut book – I savoured every moment, and am impatient for the next book, to discover what else is awaiting in this rich world. Add it to your wish list!

I really hope you enjoy it. :)

I'm starting to get some review copies of books due out early next year - I've just finished Instructions from a Heatwave by Maggie O'Farrell, which was great, I love the way she writes. I've now moved onto The Man Who Rained by Ali Shaw, which is published in paperback soon. I also looked at a sample of Nicholas St North and the Battle of the Nightmare, which is one of the Guardian books Noll mentioned. It looked and read great, so I've bought it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Wed night I finished listening to the 5th Dark Tower book, bringing my total to 61 books. I've made a start on quite a few books, but I don't think I'll get anything else finished by the end of the year.

The Dark Tower has certainly been an interesting experience - they are quite odd books, but I think they suit audio well, and I'm really pleased that I can say I've read them. Well.. once I've finished, of course. :)