Michelle - 2012

Michelle

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My review of The Snow Child:

It’s 1920, and Jack and Mabel have moved to Alaska, to start a new life and leave their memories behind. However, Jack struggles to control the wild land, and Mabel struggles to forget the grief of her stillborn, and they seem to move further apart.

As the first snow falls, they find an unexpected closeness, and end up out in the snow, building a snowman.. or rather a snow girl. In the morning this snow girl has disappeared, and they start to catch glimpses of tracks, and a figure which looks like a small child.

Many reviewers are calling this book ‘magical’, and it does have that feel to it. The landscape and environment is vivid and harsh, and yet the snowy atmosphere adds it’s own magical touch. Eowyn never quite explains the child either, it’s left to the reader to decide if she has a real background, or a magical beginning.

This is a tale partly about Faina, the Snow Child of the story, but is also about Jack and Mabel, their new life, and their relationships. It’s about survival, grief, friendship and love, and it’s a simple but moving tale. Highly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Are you reviewing Shadow of Night Michelle? Lucky thing!! Is it looking as good as ADOW?

I am! I was really surprised that copies would be available, but the publishers were lovely. :) I've only just started it.. and it's huge!

I can't wait to hear what you think of it Michelle, I'm hoping it's going to be one of my reading highlights this year!

I'll be checking out your 'Fracture' review too as that's high on my wish list, I nearly bought it last week but I'm trying to read the books I have already first!

Two reviews done...

Heart Shaped Bruise by Tanya Byrne

Emily Koll is awaiting trial at a young person’s institute, although for what, we’re not told. She’s given a notebook (she insists she’s too old for a journal) which she eventually leaves on top of the wardrobe in her room.

Within the notebook, Emily shares with us an insight into life in the institute, and her sessions with Doctor Gilyard, alongside telling us what her life was like before. She tells us that everyone knows the Emily Koll from the papers, but not the real her.. not what her life was like, what was taken from her, etc.

It’s a format which works really well.. as her life and crime unfolds, we also see her reactions to being in the institute, and how she communicates with those around her.

I really don’t want to spoil the story for you, but Emily’s crime is one of revenge, despite the fact that she’s obviously conflicted by her feelings. She’s made out to be an evil character by the papers, but that’s not the impression her notebook gives – but then can you really trust all that Emily has to say?

This is a compelling, page turning read, and is disturbing in a subtle way. It’s memorable, and I think readers will develop different reactions to Emily.

The Last Echo by Kimberly Derting - http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/10078-the-bodyfinder-series-by-kimberly-derting/page__pid__296532#entry296532

The Traitors by Tom Becker

This is a story aimed at about 10+, depending on the level of reading. I would suggest that boys would enjoy it more, but there's enough to appeal to girls as well.

Adam betrays his friend, and is captured and sent to The Dial - a place which exists in a different dimension, and can only be reached through a time vortex. The unusual thing is that it only takes a small betrayal to be sent there, but the term of imprisonment is a few hundred years. And yet, back on earth, no one would notice, because the passage of time is different there.

Not much of the story is given over to the details of The Dial, and how it came to be, with the focus being on the inmates. There are nasty prison wardens, an escape committee, and a bunch of boys and girls who develop their own society.

It's a story of both betrayal and loyalty, with character development being about right for this age of reader. It has short chapters, and is well paced.

I'm not really sure about Fracture - I remember enjoying it whilst reading it, but when I started to think about a review, I realised I couldn't remember it - and that can't be a good sign, surely?

I've just flicked back through it, and yes, it was an interesting story. Delaney falls into ice, and by the time she's rescued, she should be dead. When she wakes up in hospital, the doctors are amazed that she's recovered so well. But Delaney knows something isn't right, as she finds herself drawn to people who are dying.

There's a romance going on, as is fund in most YA stories these days, and some tension provided by Troy, as we're never sure who he is, or what he's doing. The ending is satisfactory, and it seems to be nicely wrapped up.

So why did I find it so forgetful?!

I have some exciting news - I'm going to an event/signing in London in May, with Tanya Byrne, James Dawson and Kimberly Derting - and then I'm going to have tea with Kimberly afterwards! :D Having already read a a book by Tanya and Kimberly, I decided to look up James Dawson, and I've started reading Hollow Pike, which is brill so far.

I have some exciting news - I'm going to an event/signing in London in May, with Tanya Byrne, James Dawson and Kimberly Derting - and then I'm going to have tea with Kimberly afterwards! :D Having already read a a book by Tanya and Kimberly, I decided to look up James Dawson, and I've started reading Hollow Pike, which is brill so far.

How exciting!! Please pass on my regards to Kimberley :P I've really enjoyed The Body Finder series so far and I'm looking forward to my daughter being old enough to enjoy them too. I've not really heard of the other 2 authors, I'll look them up now!

Have a great day and report back asap!!! :smile:

Oh my, you are a lucky lady! Have a wonderful time!

Btw, I clicked on your link for the new D Harkness novel and almost made my first book buy in weeks! I feel a full browse coming on, that way I can order all at once ;)

I've finished Hollow Pike - great YA book, review to follow. I'm also enjoying Insurgent, but I don't think it's as good as Divergent. I often find middle books are a little slower, and this is still a great series, so I still recommend, and with the standard of writing, I think the third should be great.

I've had a busy few days on twitter, 'meeting' various publishers and authors. My wishlist has grown, especially in the YA category, and amazon took some money off me at the weekend! Some have been bought specifically to take with me on Saturday, to get signed for give aways - so stay tuned! :)

('ll be blogging about it in a bit, so will return with the link)