Michelle - 2012

Michelle

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a great time on Saturday Michelle, no one could say you've not put any research into it! :smile: (More books for my wish list! I'd not realised Kimberley Derting had started another series of books, so The Pledge is on there too!) :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

I've been busy recently with reading, reviewing, sorting competitions etc! I'm now up to 20 books read (or listened to) but I also have quite a few on hold. I'm trying desperately to prioritise review books, but I have some great books yelling at me from my recent TBR pile!

Great books on your read-list! I'm very anxious to read Divergent and Insurgent! And Kimberly Derting! Here there's only the first book published yet, so I'm waiting for more books to start reading!

And your wishlist has Julie Kagawa! Read it, it's very worthy! The Iron Fey series is beautiful and has some action, and Immortal Rules is very very good! =)

Divergent and Insurgent are brilliant. Do you mean you only have the 1st of the Body Finder series in Brazil? I thought the 4th book was the best. :)

Ops, I forgot to say the series name! Yep, there's only the first of The Body Finder series here. The second one is gonna be published this year, probably in august, when happens a big book fair here! ^^

I've been busy recently with reading, reviewing, sorting competitions etc! I'm now up to 20 books read (or listened to) but I also have quite a few on hold. I'm trying desperately to prioritise review books, but I have some great books yelling at me from my recent TBR pile!

You really do a lot Michelle. You are our heroine . We don't always get to talk to you much but we appreciate everything. :flowers2:

Wow Michelle, you are one busy women!! Thanks so much for setting this forum up and giving me a great way of sharing my passion. You must have met some great people, I am not jealous at all! Really, I'm not!

Andie x

Edited by Andie P

The Pledge - Kimberley Derting

Kimberley Derting is well known for her Body Finder series, but in her next series she brings something very different. The Pledge is a YA fantasy series, in a dystopian land controlled by female queens.

There is a very strict class system, with each class having it’s own language. To look at someone in a higher class when they are using their own language can result in death. Charlaina has a special ‘gift’ which means that she can understand every language, something she obviously has to be very careful to keep hidden.

In addition to this, there’s a magical element. The ruling queen has actually reigned for many hundreds of years, each time persuading a daughter to accept her soul. This has now come to an end, as there are no daughters, and male heirs mean nothing, and cannot inherit.

Charlaina’s life appears normal when we first meet her, apart from her ability – she has friends, attends school, puts up with bullying and helps her parents. This all begins to change when she’s taken to an underground club by her friend, and when she overhears Max, who speaks a language she’s never heard before.

From here, things soon change, and Kimberley has produced a fast paced story full of surprises. There’s a gentle romance story, but also some powerful scenes of war as things break down.

For me, the star of the book is Charlaina’s young sister, Angelina, as she’s just adorable.. and the relationship between the two sisters is powerful and heart-warming. It’s suggested that she’ll play a bigger role in the second book, so I’m hoping.

The story is complete in itself, but it’s also the first part in a trilogy – there’s a slightly darker feel towards the end of the book, and Kimberley has said there’s more darkness to come. The only thing I really struggled with was the combination of dystopia and magic, because they are two genres I’ve not seen together. The magical element is however necessary for the story progression, and I think it’ll seem much more natural by book two.

Kimberley Derting now offers two very different series for the YA market, both of which I feel can be enjoyed by older adults too. With the genres of thriller and now fantasy covered, I wonder what she’ll bring us next!

Hollow Pike - James Dawson

Hollow Pike tells the story of Lis London, a teenager who moves in with her older sister to escape bullying at her old school. When she’s befriended by the popular girls at her new school, she hopes she’ll get the new start she hoped for.

It soon becomes apparent however, that she’s drawn to three outsiders, and she has to make a decision between the two groups. However, when a prank ends horribly, she has to question everyone.

On one level, this is a tale about fitting in, friendship, finding out who you are, and dealing with the effects of bullying. James has captured the thoughts and actions of this age group, and he’s created some rather brilliant characters, especially Kitty and Delilah.

On another level is a murder mystery, which leads Lis to question who could be responsible, and who she can trust.

Finally, there’s a supernatural element – the witchcraft mentioned on the cover is essential to the story, but is subtly done. The writing is very atmospheric, and the tension builds to a crescendo at the end.

These various elements work so well together, it has a creepy feel without being too scary, and I would highly recommend it to fans of most YA genres – and there’s plenty to appeal to adults as well. It’s a contemporary tale which blends seamlessly with ancient tales of witchcraft, all brought together by some excellent writing.

James Dawson is another author I knew nothing about until invited to a Foyles YA event. I’m glad that changed, because Hollow Pike was one of my favourite reads this year, and I look forward to whatever comes next. It has been hinted that if Hollow Pike is popular enough, we may get to hear Kitty’s story next. That’s something I’d love to read, so please go ahead and buy!

;)

Currently reading:

Shadow of Night - Deb Harkness (proof)

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making - Catherynne M Valente

Currently listening:

Now You See Me - S J Bolton

Lots of other books and audiobooks are on hold and quite a few more have found their way to my house!

Just sat in bed with a coffee and finished The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (which I wish wasn't so long to type!).. it's quite a magical book, reminding me of Alice in Wonderland, Labyrinth etc. definitely impressed with that one! :)

Just sat in bed with a coffee and finished The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (which I wish wasn't so long to type!).. it's quite a magical book, reminding me of Alice in Wonderland, Labyrinth etc. definitely impressed with that one! :)

Is it a YA book Michelle or more of a surreal story? Would a grown up guy like it?

It's one of those books for kids which I think quite a few adults will like too. It's hard to describe, but it's not your average kids fairytale.. the world and the characters are rather different and interesting, there are dark undertones, some clever touches etc.

A Street Cat Named Bob - http://bcfreviews.wordpress.com/2012/05/29/a-street-cat-named-bob-by-james-bowen/

Also, Amy helped me review some kids books :)http://bcfreviews.wordpress.com/2012/05/29/childrens-books-by-maverick-publishing/

Reading: Seraphina by Rachel Hartman

Still reading!: Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness

Listening: Dead Scared by S J Bolton

A Street Cat Named Bob - http://bcfreviews.wordpress.com/2012/05/29/a-street-cat-named-bob-by-james-bowen/

Also, Amy helped me review some kids books :)http://bcfreviews.wordpress.com/2012/05/29/childrens-books-by-maverick-publishing/

Reading: Seraphina by Rachel Hartman

Still reading!: Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness

Listening: Dead Scared by S J Bolton

I have A Street Cat Named Bob on my TBR shelf after meeting Bob near Covent Garden, he is one cool cat, he even did his own book signings!

And you're STILL reading Shadow of Night!!! Maybe I should come around and do your ironing or something so you can get it read? Or is it taking longer as its not holding your interest?

Review of Starters by Lisa Price:

Dystopian books for teens are very popular at the moment, and also quite numerous, but this one is certainly different enough to offer something new.

It's set in a world where many people have been killed by a spore war. The only people who survived are the very old, and the young. The older generation, who are called The Enders have all the money and power, whilst many of the young, called The Starters, are hiding away, trying to survive.

Callie is persuaded to visit a secret facility where Starters rent out their bodies. The Enders are living much longer, due to medical advantages, and they pay a lot of money to borrow the body of a younger person. (Thankfully this is explained much better in the book!)

Unfortunately Callie's rentals do not go to plan, but after initial confusion, she begins to realise that there is a lot more going on. What follows is a well paced thriller, as Callie finds out who she can and cannot trust.

One of the real positives for this book is that although there's a second book planned, there's enough in this one to tell a story, and keep the reader satisfied. You'll still be hungry for that sequel though!

Chaliepud, I'm still waiting for you to turn up and do my ironing!

Review of Starters by Lisa Price:

Chaliepud, I'm still waiting for you to turn up and do my ironing!

Well, you didn't tell me where you live!!! :P Just seen you're in Kent, maybe send it with a courier and I'll get to it tout de suite! :smile: :smile: :giggle2:

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making - http://bcfreviews.wordpress.com/2012/05/31/the-girl-who-circumnavigated-fairlyland-in-a-ship-of-her-own-making-by-catherynne-m-valente/ I'm pleased to hear there are two more books planned in Fairyland, and I hope to get a sneak preview next year. :D

Some people will be pleased to know I'm over 400 pages into Shadow of Night - so far, I'd basically say that if you liked A Discovery of Witches, you should also like this one - so far it's all been set in the Elizabethan era, so the science has been removed, but the historical setting is interesting. As with the first, to me it's a slow pace, but things are really picking up now, with the focus very much on Diana.

I'm almost done with Shadow of Night - I have to say that personally I'm not as keen as the first book, but then I often find the middle book in a trilogy the slowest. However, I still think that anyone who loved the first book is still going to be happy with this one. :)

I'm also stalling a bit with Seraphina.. I've noticed I often do this in the middle of books, so it's no reflection on the book itself. It wasn't helped by the fact that I couldn't resist starting The Looking Glass Wars - this one has some mixed reviews, but so far I love the idea behind it! It's been out a while.. has anyone else read it? (Oh.. just realised by looking at amazon that it's yet another trilogy!)