Frankie reads 2012

frankie

I'm (again) so behind on my reviews that it's ridiculous! But as I've promised myself, I will write some sort of thoughts on each book I read on here, even if I have no real recollections of the books.

And such is, unfortunately, the case with this novel:

The Body of Evidence

Patricia Cornwell

From Amazon: A reclusive author, Beryl Madison finds no safe haven from months of menacing phone calls—or the tormented feeling that her every move is being watched. When the writer is found slain in her own home, Kay Scarpetta pieces together the intricate forensic evidence—while unwittingly edging closer to a killer waiting in the shadows.

Thoughts: It's really telling that even after reading that synopsis on Amazon I don't have the faintest recollection of what happened in the novel. Oh no, wait, yes. There was a foreign island of some sort... But I can't remember if that had really anything to do with the murder of Madison :rolleyes: When was there a time that I found Cornwell's books great thrillers/detective stories? Why do I really keep on going with this series. I don't even like the main character, the forensic person whatnots. Oh yes. Now I remember something additional: she's such a food snob! She started ranting about her sister and how she had bad manners or wasn't cultivated or what have you, and yet Scarpetta thinks a woman isn't a woman if she can't cook. Or something along those lines, I think. And she takes offence when she can't smoke inside offices. No, wait, I feel like I've ranted about this before, so all this was probably revealed in the earlier novel already.

Well, if that doesn't tell you how 'much' I appreciated reading this, maybe the rating will.

1/5

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear! Yes, just why do you keep on reading them? Maybe the next will be better?! :)

I think it's because I thought they were really great back in the late 90s when I was reading them the first time. And I hadn't read a lot of that sort of books before. And I want to know the back story (hehe, Back Story, oh Mitchell!) through and through, regarding Scarpetta. And now that I've said that, I don't even have any idea why I want to know it all because I quite dislike her :lol:

But I remember there being this particular villain in one of the books and I know he's featured in some of the other books as well, and I want to know the full story behind it all. And I guess I'm determined to read all the blimmin' books because I kept collecting them for two-three bloody years and I paid (well, not that good) money for them!

:giggle: Rant over!

I agree completely on the Scarpetta books...when I first discovered them I was hooked...couldn't wait to read the next...then my interested waned right around Point of Interest/Black Notice...the next couple were just unreadable....although I admit I picked up a hardcover copy of The Scarpetta Factor for a buck at a charity place...we'll see how that goes. (I too didn't care much for Scarpetta's ego) did you read any of Cornwell's other non-Scarpetta series/books? I read the first of the Andy Brazil....terrible terrible! I remember reading somewhere long ago that there were supposed to be some movies in the works, but I don't think anything ever came of them yet...I'll have to look into that...I'd be interested (based on earlier books anyway)

I looked around for a movie...supposedly there was something in the works a while back with Angelina Jolie linked to it....oh god help us!

Edited by Sofia

I agree completely on the Scarpetta books...when I first discovered them I was hooked...couldn't wait to read the next...then my interested waned right around Point of Interest/Black Notice...the next couple were just unreadable....although I admit I picked up a hardcover copy of The Scarpetta Factor for a buck at a charity place...we'll see how that goes.

I read the books so long ago that I can't really remember which ones I've already read, and how far along I am with the series. I think a lot of people who've liked the books have disliked the most recent ones, Cornwell's really not up to her previous standards anymore, that's what I hear.

(I too didn't care much for Scarpetta's ego)

It's weird that we still kept on reading eventhough we didn't like the main character... I mean there are so many series out there nowadays, with likable characters. Or at least interesting characters. But I suppose Cornwell had the advantage of being 'cutting edge' in the 90s. I don't know, but I assume she was one of the first authors to go forensic on her readers.

did you read any of Cornwell's other non-Scarpetta series/books? I read the first of the Andy Brazil....terrible terrible! I remember reading somewhere long ago that there were supposed to be some movies in the works, but I don't think anything ever came of them yet...I'll have to look into that...I'd be interested (based on earlier books anyway)

I've never wanted to even try any of her other novels, nope. And your thoughts on them aren't really persuading me to give them a try :D I have read her non-fiction book about Jack the Ripper case, that one I enjoyed quite a lot. I even bought my own (secondhand) copy. An interesting take on the infamous case.

I looked around for a movie...supposedly there was something in the works a while back with Angelina Jolie linked to it....oh god help us!

Why is Angelina Jolie ruining all the great and even not so great crime series?! She was cast as the female detective/police officer in Jeffery Deaver's The Bone Collector (the Lincoln Rhyme -series). Are there no other actors available?? Bloody hell.

~

I had a few friends over last weekend and earlier this week, and coincidentally both of them are avid readers and it was so nice to have book enthusiasts as guests. I got to show them my book cases :smile2:

First up was Sakari who really rarely visits me in Joensuu, so it was very special. And he spent the night, which is even more unusual and great! We had a lot of time to catch up and talk books. He actually works as some sort of a visual designer (hm, I have his business card, let's see what his official title is... 'store communication designer') for the biggest bookstore in Helsinki (and in Finland), Akateeminen kirjakauppa ('Academic bookstore'). The one I always visit when I'm in Helsinki, it's a three-store building with loads of titles in English <3 Anyway. He basically thinks about how to make the store and the books in the store appeal to customers and such. Isn't that great?

He told me one upsetting anecdote, though. They were going to have a dance performance in and about the bookstore, and the dancing crew was coming up with suggestions on how to incorporate books to the routine. Someone suggested they take out books and rip them apart. ! :o Sakari had gasped and told them (maybe even rather too politely and diplomatically) that books are NOT to be destroyed. a) the store is about selling books and b) books are fecking sacred!

I mean, can you believe it? Anyhow, he also told me about how the new J. K. Rowling book had arrived, and they put new books to the window displays and write out short introductions and recommendations. No one had actually read The Casual Vacancy (the week before Sakari actually texted me and asked me if I'd read the book, saying that if I had, I could write a small recommendation and it would be put on display with the novel) so Sakari sort of had to come up with something without having read the book. Can you imagine? :D

I also let him take a look at the books I'm going to give away (to charity or to the library free book trolley) to see if there was anything there he wanted. He took my Bridget Jones books (I'm keeping my English copies, obviously), the Anne Tylers (he's a fan), Mister God, This Is Anna and Miller's Tropic of one or the other. Yay, more books to haul over to the library! He was upset that I was going to get rid of a few Michael Cunningham books, especially without having read them, and in the end he convinced me to not give away Flesh and Blood.

Next up was Riikka, a fellow English major, Swedish minor from uni. She visits Joensuu maybe three times a year, but she's never had the time to come over to my apartment and visit me. So when she said she had 4 hours with me to spend, I immediately demanded she come and check out my crib :D I'd made Rocky Road and she liked it but found it too sweet for her, eventhough it was dark chocolate and not milk chocolate. Oh, and she also tasted Vegemite :D I've completely forgotten to tell Kylie. The Vegemite tasting came after she asked if I had any pics of Australia to show her, and I realised she's never actually seen any of the pics. She was mesmerized by the pics of the animals in the zoos, and by the picture of Kylie and me holding a tassie devil.

I was too busy to show her some of the books I'd borrowed from the library to show her my to-get-rid-of books, but I promised her later that I'd PM her the list and I could give her the books later this year when she comes to visit on her Christmas holiday. She looked at my bookcases and I immediately realised she might be interested in Tom-All-Alone's by Lynn Shepherd, and I think when she read the blurb and the recommendations on the book cover, she was even more fascinated by it than I'd hoped! Turns out she's seen Bleak House and absolutely loves the BBC production. She wrote the title down. I told her not to put the paper away, because she might be writing down some other titles... Which she did. She wrote down the following titles:

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Before I Go to Sleep

Hm, there were at least two others, but I can't remember which they were. Anyhow, it felt so great to be showing her books and seeing her being really interested in all of it! :) Coincidentally she's currently reading The Elegance of the Hedgehog herself, the one we read for reading circle this August. And, what's more, she's just read Fifty Shades of Grey :D She'd heard about the book, and about the really controversial reviews, and she thought she might as well read it, for the hell of it. I say good on her! :D

And on another note: I've just found out that two of the three English copies of The Casual Vacancy that the library has ordered for their collection have arrived at the library, and so now the first reservers have borrowed the books and the queue is getting shorter. Now all I need to do is find out if the new English titles have 2 or 4 weeks loan time, and then I can calculate when I could be expecting to get my hands on a copy! Wohoo!

I don't know why but your use of 'fecking' had me laughing out loud. Have you seen Father Ted?

No, but I think I've heard of him... Don't know much about it, though. Boy, it's easy to make you laugh, is it not? :D I don't even like to write 'fecking', it's so silly, but I'm not allowed to write it with 'u' either and it's just too brazen to write with 'u' and two 'k's :lurker:

Edit: Ah yes. I thought 'fecking' was a rather normal thing to say, and I didn't really see why it would catch your attention this time, so re-read my post and I used the word alongside 'sacred'. Hence the Father Ted reference, right? :D

I am very easily amused, the sillier the better. Father Ted has a rather potty mouthed alcoholic old priest called Father Jack (youtube him if you are curious) and he says it a lot. I just cant imagine someone with a Finnish accent saying it and thats what made me chuckle.

Sounds like a nice chap, this Father Jack :D

Hold on, I'll give you a great example of a Finnish accent...

's a 28 second thing. One of my favorite Finnish videos.

If you want something a little more detailed...

you go. A man making coffee. "I sniff my rose, very good taste"

The man with the coffee sounds a bit like Mika Hakkinen :) .. only Mika is easier on the eye.

What airheads those dancers must be to want to rip up books in a bookstore .. how on earth .. even in the name of art .. did they come to that conclusion? :o

Haha 'I highly recommend The Casual Vacancy because .. well .. because .. ermmm .. because it's bound to be fecking good innit' :D

Riikka has very good taste .. I'm just watching the BBC's Bleak House again .. and it's wonderful. I wonder what she will make of Tom-All-Alone's?

• 2 weeks later...

Bloody hell, Sofi Oksanen is coming to Joensuu! She's one of my favorite Finnish authors, she's written four books of which I've read the three earliest (I'm still to read her latest which came out a few months ago), and her novel Puhdistus was translated to English as well and it's been rather successful even on an international level. She's going to come to our local bookstore and she's going to be doing book signing and reading of her latest novel. I so have to go! I think I also need to buy her latest book, then.

I know there are a few people on the forum who've read Purge and have liked it, and I've bought a copy for a few friends on here... I wish more people would read the book :giggle:

I'm so excited! I have to get someone to go with me. *ponders*

Friday night... Don't want to sit home alone... So I'm off to a bar! With David Mitchell :wub: (the book :giggle2:) I'm going to Kerubi, a few of my pals are there to see a Finnish metal band, I'll be there (in a different room) to wait for the gig to end and see where the night leads us. Oh boy I'm really looking forward to reading Mitchell!! :wub:

• 3 weeks later...

Note to self:

FTBC:

The Top 50 Aussie Books as voted by you are:

1. Cloudstreet - Tim Winton TBR

2. The Book Thief - Markus Zusak read

3. A Fortunate Life - A.B. Facey

4. The Harp in the South - Ruth Park

5. The Power of One - Bryce Courtenay

6. Jasper Jones - Craig Silvey

7. The Magic Pudding - Norman Lindsay

8. The Slap - Christos Tsiolkas TBR

9. The Secret River - Kate Grenville

10. Picnic at Hanging Rock - Joan Lindsay

11. Seven Little Australians - Ethel Turner

12. My Brother Jack - George Johnston

13. My Brilliant Career - Miles Franklin

14. True History of the Kelly Gang - Peter Carey TBR

15. Eucalyptus - Murray Bail TBR

16. Power Without Glory - Frank Hardy

17. The Broken Shore - Peter Temple

18. Monkey Grip - Helen Garner

19. The Riders - Tim Winton

20. The Tree of Man - Patrick White

21. The Fatal Shore - Robert Hughes

22. Unreliable Memoirs - Clive James

23. The Tall Man - Chloe Hooper

24. The Man Who Loved Children - Christina Stead

25. The Dressmaker - Rosalie Ham

26. The Fortunes of Richard Mahoney - Henry Handel Richardson

27. The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith - Thomas Keneally

28. Capricornia - Xavier Herbert

29. Wake in Fright - Kenneth Cooke

30. Ransom - David Malouf

31. The Year of Living Dangerously - C.J. Koch

32. The First Stone - Helen Garner

33. Gallipoli - Alan Moorehead

34. Maestro - Peter Goldsworthy

35. The Monkey's Mask - Dorothy Porter

36. Wanting - Richard Flanagan

37. Come In Spinner - Dymphna Cusack & Florence James

38. Grand Days - Frank Moorhouse

39. 1788 - Watkin Tench

40. It's Raining in Mango - Thea Astley

41. Riders in the Chariot - Patrick White

42. Carpentaria - Alexis Wright

43. The Tyranny of Distance - Geoffrey Blainey

44. That Deadman Dance - Kim Scott

45. For Love Alone - Christina Stead

46. An Intruder's Guide to East Arnhem Land - Andrew McMillan

47. The Life - Malcolm Knox

48. The Watcher on the Cast-Iron Balcony - Hal Porter

49. Here's Luck - Lennie Lower

50. Visitants - Randolph Stow

Frankie

Interesting list -- thanks for posting it . The only one I've read is The Power of One. WOW,what a good book ! I'm surprised the other Courtenay books weren't listed. I've heard great things about his 3-part series-- I think the first is The Potato Factory ? Does that sound right ? Have you read it ?

I definitely need to get Cloudstreet too . That's another I've heard good things about .

Interesting list Frankie i have The Power of one, The Slap, The History of The Kelly Gang & The Tree of man on my TBR I also have Whitethorn by Bryce Courtenay so i really must bump him up to the top of the mountain as his books always seem to get good reviews.

• 2 weeks later...

'The stone was up in the ass of Timo'

I know, it gets me every time :D And surely you noticed the hand gesture as well? :D

There must be something in the Finnish sense of humour, Kimi Raikkonen has said some hilarious things to reporters over the years.

Perhaps... although I think that in this case it was just Grönholm expressing the situation as best as he could, I don't think he realised the implications at the heat of the moment :D

If you think Räikkönen is funny, you should know some of the things the Finnish javelin champion Seppo Räty has said, or the legendary ski jumper, Matti Nykänen :giggle2:

The man with the coffee sounds a bit like Mika Hakkinen .. only Mika is easier on the eye.

Oh yes, Mika is quite easy on the eyes :giggle2:

What airheads those dancers must be to want to rip up books in a bookstore .. how on earth .. even in the name of art .. did they come to that conclusion?

I don't know, I can't even bear to think about it... Some people have no common sense, I guess!

Haha 'I highly recommend The Casual Vacancy because .. well .. because .. ermmm .. because it's bound to be fecking good innit'

I agree! I actually had to start reading it because I have to take the book back to the library on 2.1. and who knows how busy I'll be during Christmas what with going to visit parents and rellies... I've only read about 30 pages of it but I'm already loving it :smile2:

Hi Frankie as the October thread is closed I thought i'd visit you on here. I did like The Art Of Racing but i didn't love it but i'll tell all on the reading circle thread

Thanks for getting back to me, Kidsmum! I'm happy you liked the book, eventhough you didn't quite love it :)

Frankie

Interesting list -- thanks for posting it . The only one I've read is The Power of One. WOW,what a good book ! I'm surprised the other Courtenay books weren't listed. I've heard great things about his 3-part series-- I think the first is The Potato Factory ? Does that sound right ? Have you read it ?

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with any of Courtenay's books :( I did have a copy of The Power of One some time ago but gave it away, before I found out about the list :rolleyes: Just my luck!

I definitely need to get Cloudstreet too . That's another I've heard good things about .

We had it as a Reading Circle book some months ago, but unfortunately I didn't get into the book. I think it was just bad timing for me, I wasn't in the mood for that particular book. I'm definitely going to read it someday :yes:

Hmmm, have added The Power of One to my wishlist, not sure I should look into all the others!!

It is a lengthy list :giggle2: I don't know if I'll ever make it through it, but I'm always looking for interesting challenges and lists, and of course this is close to my heart, being Aussie literature.

Interesting list Frankie i have The Power of one, The Slap, The History of The Kelly Gang & The Tree of man on my TBR I also have Whitethorn by Bryce Courtenay so i really must bump him up to the top of the mountain as his books always seem to get good reviews.

I think The Slap ought to be a good read, too, and The Kelly Gang! I was a bit astonished that Colleen McCullough's Thorn Birds didn't make it to the list.

As some of you know, I've been struggling with my computer for the past few months and haven't therefore been very active on here. I got a laptop as a combined Bday+Xmas pressie from darling parents today, so now I'm back with vengeance :D I have so much catching up to do, I have a lot of reading logs to read through, you people have been keeping busy with updating your logs, and I have all sorts of other unread posts to read through. And PMs and everything! On top of this, I think I have about 30-40 reviews to write before the end of the year if I want to start the New Year from a clean plate... :rolleyes: I don't know how I'll manage. But I'm so happy to be back for real :friends3: