Frankie reads 2012

frankie

The Marriage Plot

by Jeffrey Eugenides

From Amazon:The new novel from the bestselling author of Middlesex and The Virgin Suicides.

Brown University, 1982. Madeleine Hanna, dutiful English student and incurable romantic, is writing her thesis on Jane Austen and George Eliot – authors of the great marriage plots. As Madeleine studies the age-old motivations of the human heart, real life, in the form of two very different men, intervenes.

Leonard Bankhead, brilliant scientist and charismatic loner, attracts Madeleine with an intensity that she seems powerless to resist. Meanwhile her old friend Mitchell Grammaticus, a theology student searching for some kind of truth in life, is certain of at least one thing – that he and Madeleine are destined to be together.

But as all three leave college, they will have to figure out how they want their own marriage plot to end.

Thoughts: Middlesex is a great novel and I was expecting quite a lot from this new novel by Eugenides. It was very readable and I got hooked right from the start, and I loved reading about Madeleine's thoughts on literature and books she read. I was also moderately drawn to the characters of Leonard and Mitchell, and I was curious to see what would happen to them all by the end of the novel. I wasn't quite pleased with the ending, which I suppose to away from the rating. Not something I would re-read, and I book I'm happy I didn't buy, but for a one-off it's enjoyable enough. Bring on the next novel, Eugenides!

4/5

Edit: Talk about the books that were mentioned in the novel. This is not spoilery, but I will put it in spoilers anyways:

- I've added Roland Barthes's A Lover's Discourse on my wishlist, because of the novel

- Franny and Zooey was mentioned

- Mitchell had a copy of A Moveable Feast by Hemingway!

- Madwoman in the Attic by Gilbert and Gubar was also mentioned. I should really finally look into it.

- Madeleine got interested in Elizabeth Gaskell

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When God Was a Rabbit

by Sarah Winman

From Book Depository: 1968. The year Paris takes to the streets. The year Martin Luther King loses his life for a dream. The year Eleanor Maud Portman is born. Young Elly's world is shaped by those who inhabit it: her loving but maddeningly distractible parents; a best friend who smells of chips and knows exotic words like 'slag'; an ageing fop who tapdances his way into her home, a Shirley Bassey impersonator who trails close behind; lastly, of course, a rabbit called God. In a childhood peppered with moments both ordinary and extraordinary, Elly's one constant is her brother Joe. Twenty years on, Elly and Joe are fully grown and as close as they ever were. Until, that is, one bright morning when a single, earth-shattering event threatens to destroy their bond forever. Spanning four decades and moving between suburban Essex, the wild coast of Cornwall and the streets of New York, this is a story about childhood, eccentricity, the darker side of love and sex, the pull and power of family ties, loss and life. More than anything, it's a story about love in all its forms.

Thoughts: This was a quirky novel. I found the first part of it very fascinating, Elly's friend Jenny Penny was a really interesting character and I was fully absorbed in the story. There was a rabbit in the novel, of course, and it drove me mad trying to figure out what the title meant and I couldn't wait to find out for sure. The latter part was somewhat disappointing: I didn't want Elly and Jenny Penny to grow up, I wasn't interested in what happened to them later on in life. But I suppose that's just me, and I'm sure it'll hold other people's interest.

3/5

Before I Go To Sleep

by S. J. Watson

From Amazon: Every day Christine wakes up not knowing where she is. Her memories disappear every time she falls asleep. Her husband, Ben, is a stranger to her, and he's obligated to explain their life together on a daily basis--all the result of a mysterious accident that made Christine an amnesiac. With the encouragement of her doctor, Christine starts a journal to help jog her memory every day. One morning, she opens it and sees that she's written three unexpected and terrifying words: "Don't trust Ben." Suddenly everything her husband has told her falls under suspicion. What kind of accident caused her condition? Who can she trust? Why is Ben lying to her? And, for the reader: Can Christine’s story be trusted? At the heart of S. J. Watson's Before I Go To Sleep is the petrifying question: How can anyone function when they can't even trust themselves? Suspenseful from start to finish, the strength of Watson's writing allows Before I Go to Sleep to transcend the basic premise and present profound questions about memory and identity.

Thoughts: I picked this up because it was recommended on here, and the blurb sounded fascinating, but I honestly doubted a little if this could be a great read. How could the story work, how will the story be narrated if the main character's mind is rebooted every day? Well, Watson proved me wrong, I think it's brilliant what she had come up with and how she executed the novel. I was very much hooked to the novel and couldn't stop reading.

I would strongly recommend this to anyone. It reminds me of Sister by Rosamund Lupton, but I won't say in which ways so as not to spoil anything.

4/5

When God Was a Rabbit

by Sarah Winman

Thoughts: This was a quirky novel. I found the first part of it very fascinating, Elly's friend Jenny Penny was a really interesting character and I was fully absorbed in the story. There was a rabbit in the novel, of course, and it drove me mad trying to figure out what the title meant and I couldn't wait to find out for sure. The latter part was somewhat disappointing: I didn't want Elly and Jenny Penny to grow up, I wasn't interested in what happened to them later on in life. But I suppose that's just me, and I'm sure it'll hold other people's interest.

3/5

It wasn't just you, I thought the same. I didn't like it once they grew up and I'd been loving it up until then so :( Before I Go to Sleep sounds like a great read, will jot it down .. thanks frankie :)

Ihmispedot

by Micael Dahlén

Aside from Manson, out of the other people I've only heard of Issei Sagawa, and that is one disturbing case. Not only for what he did but also that he was released and is living as a free man despite being guilty as sin. I've seen an interview with him and it just creeps me out.....and I probably shouldn't have just googled images with Safe Search set to moderate. Not very 'moderate' viewing. :eek:

It's interesting about those people attributing certain qualities to 'Jane' or 'John' depending on how they killed. It must be quite awkward answering questions like that - I'd be worried what they would do with that information and if they could use it against me. :giggle2:

With the dating profiles, did he go into detail about the responses they got (where they said they had killed a person), and what kind of things people asked of them?

I wish it was available in English as it sounds like my kind of book!!

When God Was a Rabbit

by Sarah Winman

I've had this one on my wishlist forever. I've heard it compared to Mark Haddon who I also like. I just need to get my TBR list down a bit. :blush2:

Before I Go To Sleep

by S. J. Watson

I really liked this book. It kept you on your toes and the twist was brilliant. Have now also added Sister to my wishlist.

It wasn't just you, I thought the same. I didn't like it once they grew up and I'd been loving it up until then so. Before I Go to Sleep sounds like a great read, will jot it down .. thanks frankie

I'm so very glad to hear that, because I thought there was something not right with me for not enjoying the whole novel all the way through. Not a pleasant feeling! :( It's a real shame such a good, promising book changed its course.

You're welcome, I'm happy to pass on the good word :D I hope you enjoy BIGtS!

Aside from Manson, out of the other people I've only heard of Issei Sagawa, and that is one disturbing case.

Dahlén started the book with his case, and I tell you, it was hella disturbing, like you said, and I'm one who's read a lot of true crime stuff. I guess we should be happy he only had one victim, but the things he did to her are so vile.

Not only for what he did but also that he was released and is living as a free man despite being guilty as sin. I've seen an interview with him and it just creeps me out.....and I probably shouldn't have just googled images with Safe Search set to moderate. Not very 'moderate' viewing.

Exactly! I couldn't believe it when I read it. And what's more, he's become somewhat of a celebrity in his country. I can't remember what Dahlén wrote about it in the book, but I think a lot of people want to meet him in person and he gets a lot of mail from people asking to meet them. This is from wikipedia on the subject:

"Sagawa now lives in Tokyo and is a minor celebrity in Japan. He was often invited as a guest speaker and commentator throughout 1986-1997. He has also written restaurant reviews for the Japanese magazine Spa. In 1992, he appeared in Hisayasu Sato's exploitation film Uwakizuma: Chijokuzeme (Unfaithful Wife: Shameful Torture) as a sadosexual voyeur.

Besides books about the murder he committed, Sagawa wrote a commentary book Shonen A in 1997 on the Kobe child murders of 1997, when a 14-year-old referred to in the media as "Seito Sakakibara" and "Boy A" ("Shōnen A") killed and decapitated a child and attacked several others.

Despite this early freelance work, Sagawa can no longer find publishers for his writing and has been rejected from over 500 different places of employment. Each job application requires writing his resume out in longhand. He was nearly accepted by a French language school because the manager was impressed by his courage to use his real name, but employees protested and he was rejected. In 2005, his parents died. He was prevented from attending his parents' funeral, but he repaid their creditors and moved into public housing. He received welfare for some time but no longer does so. In an interview with Vice magazine in 2009, he expressed suicidal thoughts and said that being forced to make a living while being known as a murderer and cannibal was a terrible punishment."

Freaking unbelievable!

It's interesting about those people attributing certain qualities to 'Jane' or 'John' depending on how they killed. It must be quite awkward answering questions like that - I'd be worried what they would do with that information and if they could use it against me.

:D The next thing they'd do, they would check out your other private details, like the purchases you make in a bookstore (true crime titles...) and what kind of books you borrow from the library (again, true crime titles...) :D Bobbly, you're on thin ice! :giggle2:

With the dating profiles, did he go into detail about the responses they got (where they said they had killed a person), and what kind of things people asked of them?

Unfortunately I can't remember :( I was taking down notes when reading the book, but there was just too much interesting information that I couldn't write it all down.

I wish it was available in English as it sounds like my kind of book!!

It's a darn shame it's not translated into English, I know he's published some other books, as he is "author and professor of economics and teaches at the Center for Consumer Marketing at the Stockholm School of Economics, Sweden" (wikipedia). The other books by him are about economics.

I've had this one on my wishlist forever. I've heard it compared to Mark Haddon who I also like. I just need to get my TBR list down a bit.

I like Mark Haddon, too! :) I don't know if I would compare Winman's novel to Haddon's work, though, but that's neither here nor there, I think you should go ahead and acquire a copy (any copies available in the library?) and see what you make of it yourself :)

I really liked this book. It kept you on your toes and the twist was brilliant. Have now also added Sister to my wishlist.

I really didn't see the twist coming, it was brilliant as you say! Yay for adding Sister to your wishlist, that's a really good novel, too!

Oh wow, you do have a lot of reviews to catch up on.

Yeah, I wasn't lying :D 6 more reviews to go....

Edit: Oh and bobblybear: oh dear, are there pics on the net of the crime scene in the Sagawa case? I can only imagine how horrifying they are. I had a serious issue with people posting crime scene pics all over the net, it's so disrespectful towards the victims and their family and loved ones :(

Dahlén started the book with his case, and I tell you, it was hella disturbing, like you said, and I'm one who's read a lot of true crime stuff. I guess we should be happy he only had one victim, but the things he did to her are so vile.

I know, it just turns my stomach. I can't believe anyone would publish his books, and also doing restaurant reviews is beyond bad taste. Why on earth would any sensible level-headed person take a food recommendation from a self-confessed cannibal? And does he expect sympathy for not being able to find employment? Ugh! :censored:

What I can't understand is how he did some of the most extreme things to his victim, and yet hasn't committed more murders. Usually people who do things like that keep on killing until they are caught. I don't recall him saying anything about it in the interview I saw, and I can't watch another interview with him because he's just vile.

:D The next thing they'd do, they would check out your other private details, like the purchases you make in a bookstore (true crime titles...) and what kind of books you borrow from the library (again, true crime titles...) :D Bobbly, you're on thin ice! :giggle2:

:giggle2: Makes me think of Se7en, when Morgan Freeman says that the FBI have been keeping track of who borrows certain red-flagged books from libraries. :lurker:

Unfortunately I can't remember :( I was taking down notes when reading the book, but there was just too much interesting information that I couldn't write it all down.

That's ok. Believe me I understand, I forget so much stuff after I finish a book, even if I found it so fascinating. :thud:

Edit: Oh and bobblybear: oh dear, are there pics on the net of the crime scene in the Sagawa case? I can only imagine how horrifying they are. I had a serious issue with people posting crime scene pics all over the net, it's so disrespectful towards the victims and their family and loved ones :(

Yeah, the problem is there are pictures of anything on the net these days and certain websites that do nothing but host these pictures. I can read about these true crime events but I think pictures would get stuck in my head forever. I only googled his name and hit images to see if he was the same person I was thinking of (he's quite odd looking I think), and there were quite a few extremely graphic pictures. If that's what google lets through a Moderate Safe Search I'd hate to see what comes up with Safe Search turned off!!

I know, it just turns my stomach. I can't believe anyone would publish his books, and also doing restaurant reviews is beyond bad taste. Why on earth would any sensible level-headed person take a food recommendation from a self-confessed cannibal? And does he expect sympathy for not being able to find employment? Ugh! :censored:

I know, it's just revolting how he's managed to do food critiquing for different publications. It's frigging unbelievable! The thing that combined all of the killers in the Dahlén book was that they get a lot of fan mail and that was also unbelievable. First of all, I'd be scared to write to any criminal in case they got out and got the idea to come and visit me. And second, how does a person become infatuated with a person who's killed people? And not only that, but had maybe mutilated the body/bodies, sexually abused them and even eaten them?! Of course these people can't be quite right in the head... but still, it's quite beyond me.

What I can't understand is how he did some of the most extreme things to his victim, and yet hasn't committed more murders. Usually people who do things like that keep on killing until they are caught. I don't recall him saying anything about it in the interview I saw, and I can't watch another interview with him because he's just vile.

I agree, usually when a person's done something like this they don't hesitate to do it again and again. I think it's quite rare that Sagawa hasn't done it again. I wonder why that is. And what the people who study these things have to say about it.

:giggle2: Makes me think of Se7en, when Morgan Freeman says that the FBI have been keeping track of who borrows certain red-flagged books from libraries. :lurker:

Coincidentally I just watched this movie in December! I wonder if it's true, that all libraries keep some kind of record of books that are seen as of dubious nature and the people who borrow them. I remember when I was starting my first day at the library and I went through the rules and guidelines of employees with the boss and she said we aren't allowed to comment on what people read: that is, if a friend of mine would borrow a book that discusses motherhood and pregnancy, I'm not to make any comments and make any conclusions and start talking about her having a baby. I almost wanted to tell her not to worry: I've borrowed a few true crime books from the library and I know it doesn't mean I'm a blood thirsty killer in the making :D

Yeah, the problem is there are pictures of anything on the net these days and certain websites that do nothing but host these pictures. I can read about these true crime events but I think pictures would get stuck in my head forever. I only googled his name and hit images to see if he was the same person I was thinking of (he's quite odd looking I think), and there were quite a few extremely graphic pictures. If that's what google lets through a Moderate Safe Search I'd hate to see what comes up with Safe Search turned off!!

I have to confess, after our previous posts I googled him and saw the pics you must be referring to. Oh my... That was pretty darn bad! Also, the first picture that came up was a picture of Sagawa, crouching in the nude, having a fork and a knife in hand, as if he were just about to feast on something (and we can only imagine what...). That was bloody disturbing!

Vapaaksi psykopaatin otteesta

by Aud Dalsegg & Inger Wesche

Thoughts: This book was about psychopaths and basically how to get rid of them. How to rid them of one's life and how to not let them have any effect on you. A lot of the stuff I already knew, I guess I've read enough about psychopathy to know what it's basically about, and there wasn't much that was new for me. The case studies kept it interesting and for that I will give the book...

2/5

The Bat

by Jo Nesbø

From Amazon: Before Harry took on the neo-Nazi gangs of Oslo, before he met Rakel, before The Snowman tried to take everything he held dear, he went to Australia. Harry Hole is sent to Sydney to investigate the murder of Inger Holter, a young Norwegian girl, who was working in a bar. Initially sidelined as an outsider, Harry becomes central to the Australian police investigation when they start to notice a number of unsolved rape and murder cases around the country. The victims were usually young blondes. Inger had a number of admirers, each with his own share of secrets, but there is no obvious suspect, and the pattern of the other crimes seems impossible to crack. Then a circus performer is brutally murdered followed by yet another young woman. Harry is in a race against time to stop highly intelligent killer, who is bent on total destruction.

Thoughts: Bloody hell, this was my first Nesbø book and when I went over to Amazon to get a synopsis, it bloody well spoiled a few things for me and mentioned a person named Rakel! Why the heck would they write such a 'synopsis' for a book that is actually the first in the series? Imagine if you had never read a Nesbø novel before (I can, I'm one such person!) and read things like that. :rolleyes:

Well anyways. A lot of people on here have praised Nesbø's novels to high heavens, and I've been aware that they didn't start the translation of the series into English with the first novel, but the ... I don't know how manyeth. I know I know, I was told the first few novels were very likely to be rubbish because it's not until now that they've been translated into English, but good old me thought if I'm going to start reading a thriller/detective series, I might as well start with the first novel because I can: they've been all translated into Finnish.

Well... I would've been better off had I listened to the people who told me to start with the first novel that was translated into English. I was at first engaged in the novel because it was set in Australia, but everything else was just a mess. I didn't care for any of the characters, or the happenings, or ... anything. I somehow managed through the novel but I wasn't really sure, in the end, what had actually happened and why. And whodunnit and such and such. A huge disappointment.

1/5

The Bat

by Jo Nesbø

I would've been better off had I listened to the people who told me to start with the first novel that was translated into English.

Well, I hate to say I told you so. Oh, wait, no I don't :P

:giggle2:

The thing that combined all of the killers in the Dahlén book was that they get a lot of fan mail and that was also unbelievable. First of all, I'd be scared to write to any criminal in case they got out and got the idea to come and visit me. And second, how does a person become infatuated with a person who's killed people? And not only that, but had maybe mutilated the body/bodies, sexually abused them and even eaten them?! Of course these people can't be quite right in the head... but still, it's quite beyond me.

It is very worrying - I do wonder what goes on in these people's heads that they can be impressed with someone who has done such things. And then I wonder if people like that have any friends. If one of my friends started talking like that, I think I'd have to take a step backwards. These criminals also get married while in prison, something that I just can't comprehend. What must be missing in someone's life for them to want to be married to a serial killer?!!

Coincidentally I just watched this movie in December! I wonder if it's true, that all libraries keep some kind of record of books that are seen as of dubious nature and the people who borrow them. I remember when I was starting my first day at the library and I went through the rules and guidelines of employees with the boss and she said we aren't allowed to comment on what people read: that is, if a friend of mine would borrow a book that discusses motherhood and pregnancy, I'm not to make any comments and make any conclusions and start talking about her having a baby. I almost wanted to tell her not to worry: I've borrowed a few true crime books from the library and I know it doesn't mean I'm a blood thirsty killer in the making :D

Most of the books I have read on true-crime and been purchased, but then if I have paid by credit card they could still have my details on some database somewhere. One never knows! :giggle2: That's quite interesting that you were told not to comment on what people read. I suppose when I think about it, I don't ever recall a librarian commenting on any book I was borrowing. It's probably something to do with over the top political-correctness, or that the library may get sued if you make the wrong comment!

I have to confess, after our previous posts I googled him and saw the pics you must be referring to. Oh my... That was pretty darn bad! Also, the first picture that came up was a picture of Sagawa, crouching in the nude, having a fork and a knife in hand, as if he were just about to feast on something (and we can only imagine what...). That was bloody disturbing!

Yeah, I'd love to know where that picture came from - it freaks me out. It looks like he's crouching over someone's legs, so I don't know if that was his victim (doubt it) or some pose he pulled for a magazine? Yes, those pictures were horrific; hopefully her family have never seen them; I think they are about as graphic as you could get. :7_mad:

How To Talk To a Widower

by Jonathan Tropper

From Amazon: Doug Parker is a widower at age twenty-nine, and in his quiet suburban town, that makes him something of a celebrity—the object of sympathy, curiosity, and, in some cases, unbridled desire. But Doug has other things on his mind. First there's his sixteen year-old stepson, Russ: a once-sweet kid who now is getting into increasingly serious trouble on a daily basis. Then there are Doug's sisters: his bossy twin, Clair, who's just left he husband and moved in with Doug, determined to rouse him from his Grieving stupor. And Debbie, who's engaged to Doug's ex-best friend and manically determined to pull off the perfect wedding at any cost.

Soon Doug's entire nuclear family is in his face. And when he starts dipping his toes into the shark-infested waters of the second-time around dating scene, it isn't long before his new life is spinning hopelessly out of control, cutting a harrowing and often hilarious swath of sexual missteps and escalating chaos across the suburban landscape.

Thoughts: I think I first ran into a Tropper novel when I was working at the library and somebody returned a copy of This Is Where I Leave You. I wanted to instantly borrow it but thought I had too many books borrowed already, and decided to get it some other time. When I was ready for it there were no copies in the library so I got How To Talk To a Widower instead.

Serves me right not to write a review straight after finishing a novel! I can't remember one single thing about the novel, except for what it says up there ^ But I did enjoy the novel quite a lot and it made me want to read more by Tropper, indeed. This was my first book by him and it didn't disappoint: decent authorship when it comes to the writing and a good plot that moves on at a suitable pace. Decent characters and the lot.

4/5

It is very worrying - I do wonder what goes on in these people's heads that they can be impressed with someone who has done such things. And then I wonder if people like that have any friends. If one of my friends started talking like that, I think I'd have to take a step backwards. These criminals also get married while in prison, something that I just can't comprehend. What must be missing in someone's life for them to want to be married to a serial killer?!!

Well they have to be cuckoo in the head, right? I mean I can't for the life of me imagine that any sane person would want to start up any kind of affair with a convicted killer. And I have to say that if one of my friends started gushing over a killer, I'd be well worried and try to set the person's head straight and if it didn't work, I don't know if I would want to continue being friends with that person. I don't want to be in any way associated with or connected with criminals of that calibur.

I was watching some reality show on love in prisons, or something like that. In some female prison there was this woman who was instantly attracted to a new prisoner and started wooing her. Long story short, they started a relationship, and in this prison they actually allowed the pair to move into the same cell, as a couple. This is what they allow them to do, when they've established that both are willing and it's not like the other person is dominating the other and making the other person do things unwillingly.

In the same document there was this South American prison... I can't remember, maybe it was in Brazil. In that country, they actually allow inmates who are married to have conjugal visits every two weeks (or was it once a week, well anyway), for one hour at a time. Bloody hell!

That was a bit beside the point and what you originally talked about, but I just remembered that and thought it was all interesting.

Most of the books I have read on true-crime and been purchased, but then if I have paid by credit card they could still have my details on some database somewhere. One never knows! That's quite interesting that you were told not to comment on what people read. I suppose when I think about it, I don't ever recall a librarian commenting on any book I was borrowing. It's probably something to do with over the top political-correctness, or that the library may get sued if you make the wrong comment!

Oh bobbly, be careful, or they might be coming to take you away! :o:giggle: I'm sure Reuben will set them straight if they dare try!

I think the guidelines about how we can't comment on, for example, pregnancy books are to keep us in check so we won't cross any boundaries and people can keep their privacy. I think it was more to do with anything that could be taken in a personal way. I have had a few librarians comment on some loans, but they were just general fiction. One was a book by Sofi Oksanen, one of the most successful Finnish authors, who's books are always on loan and I'd been on the long queue of reservers. And the other books was a Harry Potter book. But the comments were positive, I don't think a librarian is allowed to say anything negative about the books someone's borrowing :D I know I wouldn't do that, even if no one's told me not to do it.

Yeah, I'd love to know where that picture came from - it freaks me out. It looks like he's crouching over someone's legs, so I don't know if that was his victim (doubt it) or some pose he pulled for a magazine? Yes, those pictures were horrific; hopefully her family have never seen them; I think they are about as graphic as you could get. :7_mad:

I didn't see him crouching over someone's legs, but maybe I wasn't looking close enough. Mind you, I didn't want to, if you know what I mean!! A disgusting picture, such bad taste.

Do you know what I started thinking about, what with the Internet and the possibility of posting all kinds of pics online? Well, sometimes I feel like these days kids have no common sense. They'll take a picture of anything and post it on their FB or wherever and I think that sometimes they just don't stop to think for a second that once they've posted a pic online, it's there for good. Anyone can copy it and start spreading it.

And the things kids take pictures of these days... You remember when we didn't have any digital cameras? We had to take the film rolls to the shop to get the pictures developed and we knew some person of the staff would see everything we took pictures of. I think for most people that was enough to keep themselves in check. These days kids don't have that to think about, they can do whatever they want and no adult will be there to see.

I think there was a case in the States a few years ago when a woman had been driving a car and she crashed it, and someone who'd pulled over had taken pics of her body that was in a really bad shape, and posted them somewhere. I don't remember if this was a case where the relatives saw the pictures before they were even told by the authorities that their daughter had been in an accident and died. Maybe not. But that could easily happen!

Some people seem to have no moral sense or any kind of sense.... :banghead:

/stops rant.

Edit: I did a bit of googling and no, the family didn't find out about it via Internet. Here's the case I was referring to if anyone's interested.

Edit again: Oh wow, I'd forgotten how the story went, I just read this: "However, photographs of the scene of Catsouras' death were taken by California Highway Patrol officers as part of standard fatal traffic collision procedures. These photographs were then forwarded to colleagues, and were leaked onto the Internet."

So it's not really kids who don't have common sense these days, it's other people, too, and sometimes professionals who should know better!

I read How To Talk to a Widower a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it! I want to read more by this author!

I feel the same way, let me know if you pick up something else by him and like it! :) I'm also definitely going for some of his other books. :yes:

How To Talk To a Widower

Serves me right not to write a review straight after finishing a novel! I can't remember one single thing about the novel, except for what it says up there ^

4/5

:giggle2:

Oh frankie! That happened to me a lot last year - that I just stopped writing reviews in the end :hide:

But glad you enjoyed the book :friends3:

Oh frankie! That happened to me a lot last year - that I just stopped writing reviews in the end :hide:

Oh, it would be so tempting to stop writing reviews... :giggle: But I've sworn to myself I would always write at least a little something of each book I read. And I've tried to realise that not every review has to be up to a certain standard: and what is that standard to begin with? There are no standards! This is a forum for people who love books, this is not something I do to pass exams and get grades on for some course at the uni.

Sometimes less is more :giggle:

Oh, it would be so tempting to stop writing reviews... :giggle: But I've sworn to myself I would always write at least a little something of each book I read. And I've tried to realise that not every review has to be up to a certain standard: and what is that standard to begin with? There are no standards! This is a forum for people who love books, this is not something I do to pass exams and get grades on for some course at the uni.

Sometimes less is more :giggle:

Oh no - please don't stop. I didn't mean to say that at all :friends3:

I just got lazy last year, I suppose :P

And yes, sometimes less is more :D

Oh no - please don't stop. I didn't mean to say that at all :friends3:

I just got lazy last year, I suppose :P

And yes, sometimes less is more :D

Don't worry, I'm not going to, I didn't take it that way :D I just have a few reviews to write, still, and I've been stressing over them, and I think it was good that you and I spoke, I feel like I have some perspective on writing reviews again and I won't fear it so much!

I was actually coming back here because I'd forgotten to add that I wish you hadn't stopped writing the reviews, I hope at least this year you continue to write them so we can read them and know more about the books you are reading :):friends3:

Virginia Woolf

by Nigel Nicolson

From Amazon: Virginia Woolf's life as part of the avant-garde Bloomsbury Group has captured the imagination of millions. Now Nigel Nicolson, the distinguished son of British writers Harold Nicolson and Vita Sackville-West (Vita was one of Woolf's closest and most intimate friends) threads his personal reminiscences through the narrative of her life. In so doing, he paints an astonishing portrait of one of the most remarkable women in history. Nicolson recalls childhood times with Woolf: from her walk around his ancestral home as she planned ORLANDO to her writing of the modern classics MRS. DALLOWAY and A ROOM OF ONE'S OWN. Virginia Woolf probes keenly her stance on women's issues and the nature of war, drawing new connections between the woman and the literary genius.

Thoughts: I've become quite interested in Virginia Woolf, thanks to poppyshake and willoyd, and when I saw a copy of this at the library I thought I'd go for it. It felt like a pretty safe way to start reading about her, as the book is quite short (at least compared to the biography by Hermione Lee), and I also liked it that it was written by Nicolson, the son of Vita Sackville-West, who was personally acquainted with Virginia.

I would definitely recommend this as the 'gate-way drug' to Virginia Woolf :giggle2: The book was easy to read, and it outlined Virginia's life and her career. I found out about her and Leonard having their own press (which I might've known about before, but I'd forgotten it in that case) as well, and all sorts of other interesting details. It confirmed my beliefs that Virginia is someone I want to read more about, and I definitely want to give her novels a try. I've read To the Lighthouse some years ago, and eventhough I found it somewhat interesting, I have to say it was sometimes quite out there: I had problems staying 'connected' to the narration, sometimes I didn't know where I was and where the narrator was, and who it was. I read the novel in Finnish and I think this was a rookie mistake, and I'm going to re-read the novel in English some day.

And I most certainly want to read her novels in the order she wrote them, so I can try to make out what kind of progress she made as an author. Maybe that is too much of a challenge for me, I might have problems even 'getting' the novels, but one must always try! :)

4/5

The Lions of Al-Rassan

by Guy Gavriel Kay

Blurb: Over the centuries, the once stern rulers of Al-Rassan have been seduced by sensuous pleasures. Now King Almalik of Cartada is on the ascendancy, adding city after city to his realm, aided by his friend and advisor, the notorious Ammar ibn Kairan - poet, diplomat, soldier - until a summer day of savage brutality changes their relationship forever.

Meanwhile, in the north, the Jaddite's most celebrated - and feared - military leader, Rodrigo Belmonte, and Ammar meet. Sharing the interwoven fate of both men is Jehane, the beautiful, accomplished court physician, whose own skills play an increasing role as Al-Rassan is swept to the brink of holy war, and beyond....

In a magnificent setting, hauntingly evocative of medieval Spain, The Lions of Al-Rassan is both a brilliant adventure and a deeply moving story of love, divided loyalties, and what happens to men and women when hardening beliefs begin to remake - or destroy - a world.

Thoughts: As some of you might already know, I don't do fantasy. It's difficult, there are dragons, and alternative realities, and you have to use your brain! Okay, so I have read the Harry Potter series (love it), the first book in the Thursday Next series (love it), The Brothers Lionheart (love it), Fire & Hemlock (love it), but those are neither here nor there, everyone gets them. They are not true fantasy. True fantasy is hard and beyond me. Period. Besides, I like real people with real problems, hopes and dreams. I don't need any whacky business.

Some of you also know that Karsa Orlong (the SF & fantasy loving member on here) and I agreed to do a reading challenge: he would compile a list of five sci-fi/fantasy novels he's loved for me to try and read, and in return I would compile a list of 'normal' books I've loved for him to read. To get out of our comfort zones and to broaden our horizons, and all that. The Lions was not on the list, but A Song of Arbonne was, by the same author. I didn't choose that one as my challenge read but I thought maybe some day I'll try a GGK book... Maybe Tigana, if anything.

Anyhow. Come November 2012, and I get a package in the mail, and it turns out it's a surprise Birthday present for me. When I saw which book was in the package, I thought this must be Karsa's doing... Nobody who knows me would send this kind of a book to me as a present. At the same time I'm excited and intrigued by the book, but also a bit horrified. What if I never get to actually reading it, and what if I hate it?

I never really planned to read it so soon. But one night in December I was looking through the bookcases, thinking which book to start reading in bed before going to sleep. Nothing seemed to interest me, so I picked up The Lions, just for the hell of it. I went to bed and started leafing through the first pages. There was a map and a list of characters. At this point I'm overwhelmed: I've always felt that if a book has a list of characters, the author knows the reader will have a problem with the variety of them and is trying to give the reader an easy way into the book. Well, I study the map very closely despite my non-like of maps, and I study the list of characters. Very closely.

Hesitantly I start reading the prologue, and I discover: this is readable. There are no dragons! Oh, but there's a sword... Oh but the sword has its use, it's not just there for heroic waving about. Hm, this is readable. I read some pages before falling asleep. The next day I feel like I want to know what happens next, and eventhough I'd only thought I'd leaf through the book a bit to see what it's like the previous night, I feel like I want to continue with the story. And I catch myself reading on and on and before I know it I'm well into the book and I know I'm actually going to finish it!

What can I say about the book... It was nothing I expected it to be. It was easy to read, even for someone like me. It was engaging! I noticed that these aren't just 'fantastical weirdos' but these are the real people with real problems I like to read about. I felt I was there with them, as the story moved on. The different characters... Jehane was the strong woman I admire and would like to be myself. I wanted to desperately know how she would cope with everything, how she would make it in a man's world. I had plenty to choose from for other favorites, too. Ammar was mysterious and playful, Rodrigo was more of a figure to respect and look up to but exuded his manliness and was someone I would blush to look at when passing. Lain Nunez stole my heart, and if I were any younger I would swear my love to Alvar de Pellino... Oh dear, I'm to say right now that the book is not a Harlequin novel! It's just me...

Moving on. I know Karsa has said GGK's books are very lyrical, and I have to agree with him. I don't have any examples, but it was beautiful to read and it flowed like polished gems through ones fingers.

And yet, the book had its comical points, too! I never expected the book to be funny. I mean laugh-out-loud funny. But it was! The funniest bits had to do with Alvar de Pellino and Rodrigo's two sons. I won't spoil anything for you by giving examples.

But it was also serious. I actually cried when reading the book, too. I never expected to be so engaged with the novel, the events and the destinies of different characters. I've always felt that I can't read any 'sword-fantasy': men in arms, waving their swords about, proving their manhood. But now I realised that it's not for theatrical effect, but rather people fighting for what they believe in. That's not to say I condole violence, of course, but there was a meaning behind the swords.

What I liked about the novel (besides all the points I've already made) is the way GGK goes into some situations. The reader is introduced to this new band of people, and then there comes a new band of people and the two interact, and the reader is wondering who these people are. A bit later GGK reveals that the newcomers are actually our friends from before, and it all clicks and makes sense. This is done every now and then and at first I didn't see it coming, but then I got the gist of it. But again, when I thought I had it all figured out, there comes a few new surprises...

I don't know what more to say about the novel. The writing was impressive, as was the cast of characters and the plot. In this novel you will find cruelty and evil and wickedness. Treachery, lies and deceit, and hedonism. But you will also find gentle, pure hearts, goodness and wisdom. And people with ideals they will fight for.

Thank you Steve for the book, I really, really enjoyed reading it, and you have managed to broaden my horisons! :flowers2: I'm definitely going to read more of GGK's books in the future :)

5/5

The Lions of Al-Rassan

by Guy Gavriel Kay

What a great review, Sari - worth the wait! :D

Okay, so I have read the Harry Potter series (love it), the first book in the Thursday Next series (love it), The Brothers Lionheart (love it), Fire & Hemlock (love it), but those are neither here nor there, everyone gets them. They are not true fantasy. True fantasy is hard and beyond me. Period. Besides, I like real people with real problems, hopes and dreams. I don't need any whacky business.

Whacky business :D I think those books all count as fantasy. I'm guessing by 'true fantasy' you mean High Fantasy, Epic Fantasy, swords and sorcery stuff, so yeah, I know what you mean :smile:

I never really planned to read it so soon. But one night in December I was looking through the bookcases, thinking which book to start reading in bed before going to sleep. Nothing seemed to interest me, so I picked up The Lions, just for the hell of it. I went to bed and started leafing through the first pages. There was a map and a list of characters. At this point I'm overwhelmed: I've always felt that if a book has a list of characters, the author knows the reader will have a problem with the variety of them and is trying to give the reader an easy way into the book. Well, I study the map very closely despite my non-like of maps, and I study the list of characters. Very closely.

Do you know, I never look at the character lists. I guess it just doesn't occur to me that it could put someone off, but I can totally see what you mean now.

Oh dear, I'm to say right now that the book is not a Harlequin novel! It's just me...

:lol:

Thank you Steve for the book, I really, really enjoyed reading it, and you have managed to broaden my horisons! :flowers2: I'm definitely going to read more of GGK's books in the future :)

You're welcome! I'm so glad you enjoyed it :D

The Casual Vacancy

by J. K. Rowling

From Amazon: When Barry Fairbrother dies unexpectedly in his early forties, the little town of Pagford is left in shock. Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty façade is a town at war. Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils…. Pagford is not what it first seems. And the empty seat left by Barry on the town’s council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen. Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations? Blackly comic, thought-provoking and constantly surprising, The Casual Vacancy is J.K. Rowling’s first novel for adults.

Thoughts: I'd read The Casual Vacancy thread on here and before I got the book from the library I had read that surprisingly many people had difficulties with this book. I don't know if this is because they had the Harry Potter books at the back of their head, at least un/sub-consciously, or if they genuinely just didn't enjoy the novel. Before I picked up the book I'd decided I would take it as it comes, and see what happens.

I enjoyed the huge variety of different characters and how their lives and pasts and secrets were unravelled throughout the book. I guess with my previous read I'd figured I need to keep close track of who's who and I think it helped with this novel, too. I have to say, though, that I wasn't feeling the book the way I had hoped: I guess I'd expected it to be more the sort of novel of a very idyllic small village with people in flowery hats. The old kind of British village, perhaps not the way it really is (I am Finnish so how would I know what it's really like) but at least the way I imagine it to be. A bit like in Major Pettigrew's Last Stand and/or Mr Rosenblum's List. In this respect I was disappointed. It was a whole lot more modern than that. But I suppose that was a learning curb for me: I got to read what it can be like in the small towns of Britain today. There are the people on welfare, some of whom have social workers knocking on the door. Social workers who are great at their job but when it comes to their personal life, they don't have a clue.

Which leads to this point: I thought a lot of the characters were realistic and I liked it that there was a very varied spectrum of them. The cool and the uncool kids and the ones in between. The adults who want to gain power at the local council, and the ones behind and against them. And the ones who think it's all trivial, and that all that's missing in life is passion for the real things: and for this one person passion is one of the members in the band her daughter loves...

What's more, I didn't have any favorite characters, but in the case of this book I didn't mind: all the characters had their flaws and their good points, no matter if they were the 'good' people or the 'bad'. That's what it's like in real life, too.

As a novel I was expecting this to be a more funny one. It turned out that beneath it all it was rather serious, and even depressing. Many days after finishing the book I kept thinking about some of the characters and what happened to them. And how some things could've been prevented... If there weren't things such as bureaucracy, keeping up appearances, and even neglect of the person next to you.

I thought the novel was thought provoking. I know some people have said that it was very black and white and maybe even underlining of what is good and what is bad, but that's not what I got out of the novel at all. It wasn't an amazing novel, but it has stayed with me.

3/5