Joseph Heller Picture This

Dan Rhodes Anthropology

Sun Tzu The Art of War

I also bought another book that I realised today I already have. *rolls eyes*

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done that. I own 2 copies of 1984 by George Orwell because I forgot that I already had it.

:) I also have two copies of 1984, but that's intentional (I love the cover art of both editions).

I went to a book sale today and bought a few books:

Angela Carter The Passion of New Eve

Astrid Lindgren Karlson Flies Again

Claudine Monteil The Beauvoir Sisters

I received a new book in the mail today:

Wendy Jones The Thoughts and Happenings of Wilfred Price, Purveyor of Superior Funerals

Yes, it has one of those cutesy, long titles (which I'm generally getting very sick of), but I read a good review of it a while back and have been waiting for it to come out in paperback.

Now, I have a major gripe with the title. My copy doesn't have a comma after 'Price'. What the :censored:? Unless 'Purveyor of Superior Funerals' is part of Wilfred's surname, there should be a comma! How frustrating! Was this a slip up or intentional? Either way, it's unforgivable! Is a comma that much of a nuisance to include in the title? Will adding a comma change it from 'cutesy long' to 'cutesy way too long'? No! Put the goddamn comma where it should be! Hmph. :irked:

I may have to take a point off the book before I even read it.

I received a new book in the mail today:

Wendy Jones The Thoughts and Happenings of Wilfred Price, Purveyor of Superior Funerals

Yes, it has one of those cutesy, long titles (which I'm generally getting very sick of), but I read a good review of it a while back and have been waiting for it to come out in paperback.

Now, I have a major gripe with the title. My copy doesn't have a comma after 'Price'. What the :censored:? Unless 'Purveyor of Superior Funerals' is part of Wilfred's surname, there should be a comma! How frustrating! Was this a slip up or intentional? Either way, it's unforgivable! Is a comma that much of a nuisance to include in the title? Will adding a comma change it from 'cutesy long' to 'cutesy way too long'? No! Put the goddamn comma where it should be! Hmph. :irked:

I may have to take a point off the book before I even read it.

Oh bless .. that's the editor coming out in you :D I would NEVER have noticed it. I feel I should apologise here Kylie for my terrible punctuation .. must drive you nuts :friends0: Nearly all my reviews start with a Waterstone's Synopsis .. and until recently I never ever put a apostrophe in it. I think it was only after reading the hoo-haa about them dropping the apostrophe that I realised it should have one :smile2: There's no hope for me .. you must love me anyway :blush: I will try to make it up to you in other ways (you accept chocolate .. right? :D)

:giggle2: I was going to assure you that you have nothing to worry about, but then I noticed the offer of chocolate. So now I'm considering feigning outrage at all of your posts (I'm sure you understand ;)).

But really, I'm much easier-going about things like posts on forums. It's only professional documents that I get riled about. I never even noticed the Waterstone's apostrophe or lack of in your reviews. I'm too keen to read your review to bother with the non-review stuff. :)

Following on from this post I made last year...

Just came here to ramble on about some terrific books news I just found out...Walter Moers has recently published a new book in Germany! It's a sequel to The City of Dreaming Books (which I haven't read yet, but I know I'm going to love). This one's called The Labyrinth of Dreaming Books. I can't wait until it's translated into English! :biggrin: There's a synopsis of the book on this blog. Moers is such a creative, brilliant writer (hint hint - go and read him if you haven't already!)

I've just found out that The Labyrinth of Dreaming Books will be published in early November this year. :D I'm so excited! I thought it would perhaps be a couple of years before it was translated into English.

TLoDB is the latest in Moers' Zamonia series. I haven't read them all, and indeed wasn't even sure of the correct order of the books (I don't think it matters what order you read them) so I just did a bit of scrounging around and realised the second book, Ensel und Krete (based on Hansel and Gretel) hasn't been translated for some reason. :( The order of books is:

1. The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear

2. Ensel und Krete

3. Rumo & His Miraculous Adventures

4. The City of Dreaming Books

5. The Labyrinth of Dreaming Books

I had been planning on reading The City of Dreaming Books next (simply because it's about books!), but maybe I should go with Rumo. I currently have all of Moers' books in large paperback format, but I certainly won't be waiting for the paperback of the latest book! They're probably easier to read as hardbacks anyway, given their size.

What do I spy with my very own eyes? Somebody's been book shopping :giggle:

Joseph Heller Catch as Catch Can

Joseph Heller Picture This

Well I couldn't really expect you to not buy these at some point, I know you like Heller.

Dan Rhodes Anthropology

Rhodes gets the thumbs up from me, too :giggle2:

Sun Tzu The Art of War

Jealous! I so want to read this so I can debate like Rory and Paris :cool:

Jared Diamond Why is Sex Fun?

If you need a book to tell you why, I think it's a lost cause.... :giggle:

David Malouf Johnno

He's Australian, of course you had to get the book!

LM Montgomery Chronicles of Avonlea

LM Montgomery Further Chronicles of Avonlea

Wohoo for Montgomery! I'm not sure which books these are, I've probably not read them. I don't think that many of her novels have been translated into Finnish, so I never had a chance to read these as a kid. I wonder if these are the books that Road to Avonlea is based on, as well as the Story Girl book (which I didn't particularly enjoy).

Astrid Lindgren Karlson Flies Again

I don't think I've read the book, or at least I don't remember it. All Lindgren books are amazing, though!

Claudine Monteil The Beauvoir Sisters

Mega jealous! I had no idea there were sisters, too. Should make interesting reading! :)

I love the sound of the title. And yeah, I agree, there have been a whole lot of cutesy long titles around for a while now, and I kinda know what you mean by them getting pretty tiring, but I can't help but like them anyways. I'm totally intrigued by this, only because of the title. I should google the book, since you've given us no indication what the novel is about, but a rather long rant post on some missing comma or something... :giggle: Before you gasp with horror and annoyance, I agree, I would be mega annoyed if I saw a copy of that without the meaningful, purposeful comma. I can't believe people in the book publishing business can be so oblivious to common knowledge and grammar!!

I was asked to review Willard Price, so I've just started it. I'm not bothered by the title as they tend to be a separate entity - how many completely ignore capital letters, for example. :) The title is also the 2nd chapter heading, and they have it correct there.

I finished reading Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children today. Awesome book! I didn't realise it was going to be left so wide open for a sequel, even though I knew one was in the works.

Now for my usual rambling...

<deleted incorrect anecdote>

Problem: I'm missing my copy of Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman by Haruki Murakami. :( I looked everywhere for it a few weeks ago when I was cross-checking my library books with my online lists. :( I even pulled all the books out of several bookcases to see if it had fallen (read: pushed by Jasper) behind some other books. I'm slightly worried it accidentally ended up in a bag of books I gave to a shop, but I don't see how it would have ended up anywhere other than on my shelf.

Thanks Chesil...but now I'm embarrassed. I was just looking at my shelves again and realised it's not Sputnik Sweetheart I'm missing (that's sitting on my shelf, snug as a bug). It's actually Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman. :blush2: Same problem, different book!

I've edited my original post so I don't embarrass myself further. :giggle2:

I finished reading Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children today. Awesome book! I didn't realise it was going to be left so wide open for a sequel, even though I knew one was in the works.

Wohoo for liking the book, I hope it's brought your mojo back billionfold!! :)

Lol for having first written about Sputnik Sweetheart, then noticing error, editing, and making me confused because I read your posts in order and was mighty baffled :D

So sad about the copy gone missing :( :( Maybe it'll turn up somewhere, someday? Maybe evil Shel ate the book?

Angela Carter The Passion of New Eve

Hey, just noticed you've got this :) I read, and really really enjoyed The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter and have always been interested in her other works. The title of this alone intrigues me enough to want to read it :P would love to know if you've read any other Angela Carter and what you thought, if you have :)

I don't think I've mentioned this yet...

I officially resigned from my job at the bank a couple of weeks ago! I've been on leave for the past 5 months while I tried out my editing job full time. I was due to go back tomorrow. So today is officially my last day as an employee. I worked there for 12 years, so it was rather strange walking through the building knowing I wouldn't be back...except I will, because I have to go back in to hand in my pass and say goodbye to some people.

I went in for a farewell lunch with my workmates a couple of days ago. They gave me a very low-key farewell, which I appreciated, because they know I'm rather shy and hate to be the centre of attention. Usually the whole department would have an afternoon tea (about 40-50 people) and there'd be speeches and a presentation, but there's no way I could do that! It was awkward enough with just my workmates (about 9 people). They still gave a little presentation and I had to make a small speech (I sucked) and then they gave me one of those huge cards that everyone signs. I didn't want to open it because I thought I might cry, but they insisted because there was something in there...a $75 book voucher! What awesome workmates. :) Needless to say, they're well aware of what a book nerd I am. :blush2:

I couldn't imagine saying final goodbyes to everyone, so I just refused to do it. :giggle: I have a couple of really good friends there and I'll definitely make the effort to go in for lunch every now and then, and I think I'll still be invited to the occasional night out that we recently started doing together. :)

I think I'm mostly compartmentalising it and not thinking too much about what I've given up—friends, an easy job with a good, stable income—in favour of a job with no human contact, where I have to work much harder for less money and an unstable income. I rang my Mum today and she questioned whether I had been drinking an energy drink (I hadn't) because I guess I sounded all wound up and excited. Well, after days of talking to no one but a cat and getting no response, wouldn't you be excited to talk to someone who talks back? ;)

Anyway, for all the bad points I just listed, I absolutely love the job, which is what matters the most. I can sit around in my jammies all day (if I want to - I don't often do it) and I can work my own hours and take on as much work as I want. And no more 3-hour 'round train trips into the city with rude, loud people! Hooray!

Thanks Steve! I didn't know you had a cat! Boy/girl? Name? Colour?

Jasper only talks when he's hungry. Most of the time when I talk to him, he looks at me like I'm a damn fool - probably wondering when I'll cotton on to the fact that he can't talk back to me.

post-3835-0-07357900-1341414384_thumb.jpg

Aw, Jasper's cute :D

Pixie's a girl, she's 6 years old, and she always looks grumpy when I take photos of her, like this one when I woke her up :giggle2:

Pixie2.jpg

She likes sleeping in flowerpots :lol: