Flu vaccine?

Lumo

I'm a practice nurse, so I've not only given loads, but have had one myself.. and I do so every year. :) For at-risk groups it's quite important, but for someone young and generally healthy not so much so. But, if you're interested, and happy to pay, it might stop you feeling rough and having time off work.

I got one for the first time last year, and I was so grateful to have a season without getting sick! I've been meaning to get it again this year. It's defnitely a good idea.

My Mum had it a couple of days ago and felt a bit rough for a while, she usually has one every year so not sure why this one has made her feel bad. She sat in a chair shivering all night and feeling achey but she feels better now.

I'm still debating whether to have it or not, on the one hand I might not get flu .. on the other hand whenever I do it's disastrous.

I had one this year, as although I am not in an at risk group, I could get one paid for by the council as I work in Community Services. My parents (both in their 70s), my husband (disabled after brain haemorrhage) and my 16 year old son (has had operations on both lungs) have all had one too.

I never used to bother, but since I started working on a respiratory ward and with swine flu rearing its ugly head, I started to have one annually. I am lucky because mine is paid for by the NHS and doubly lucky because the only after effect I've had was a really sore arm for a few days.

I'm mildly asthamtic and so eligable for one ,but haven't had one in years because I found tat eery time I DID get the jab, I got sick immediately afterwards with flu and then got it a second time as well, whereas if I don't have the jab, I get it once in the winter. yes, I' get pretty ill and end up in bed for a few days and taking a little time off work, but it's once instead of twice, so I figure I'm better off without it at the moment. I'm otherwise in pretty good health - I eat healthily and am always running around after Xan for exercise, so for now, this is what works best for me...

I got one today. While I am relatively young and probably at low risk, these in themselves won't stop me developing the flu if exposed to it, so I got the vaccine.

I did weigh up the possibilities of the vaccine itself in some way making me ill and the (quite likely) probability that without it I wouldn't get the flu anyway, but I decided it was still better to get the vaccine. I suppose in time I will see if that was a good decision or not...

I get it every year because my grands have upper respiratory issues as well as my preggo daughter. The Boy and I are in school so we are surrounded by germy people who don't wash their hands and sneeze, wheeze and cough over everything. Hubby is out in the elements everyday and subject to colds etc. We've all had the shot and feel better for it there was only a minimum pain from the shot. One year I did the inhaler and it knocked me out. I don't mind being knocked out when I don't have a butt load of papers to do. I don't mind a good "sick" when I have nothing else to do, it gives me a reason to slow down! :giggle2: But we generally do the shot to keep others in our immediate family healthy.

I'm getting mines soon, I have asthma (and also I had pneumonia when I was a teenager) and when I get the flu, its floors me (as it does to a lot of people) :hug:

Edited by Weave

I've not gotten a flu shot, and have never gotten one even though my doc reminds me every year when I get my physical. Knock on wood, but I haven't been sick or had so much of a cold in about 4 years, so I just haven't felt the need. I'm not asthmatic either. My mom is in her 70's though and her hub is 80 so they both get them every year.

I wouldn't, unless I was trying to get pregnant. It's just the flu.

edit: unless you've got something that makes it necessary, of course ^^ like weave.

Kell: the vaccine produces the symptoms of the flu, like Michelle said.

Edited by Hyzenthlay

Husband has a yearly flu jab as he is a diabetic and also because he always had a mind blowingly awful bout of flu whenever he did come down with it. Poor lamb. :(

I don't have the jab. I am generally healthy and am very lucky in that on the rare occasions I do get ill I have a day or two of utter cr*ppiness followed by a week of under-the-weather-rather-than-ill bleurghness.

I see the augment that it's just the flu, but there's a pregnancy, illness and quite a bit of travelling in my immediate family, plus I'm quite busy in the next six months, the possibility of being able to reduce the risks of adding an illness to the mix seems good. The same with the common cold, generally these don't knock me out too much and aren't a big deal, but I'd still try, wherever possible, to avoid getting one or giving one to someone else.

I think it really does depend upon personal factors. With illness, pregnancy and travel all abound, I would probably have the jab.

I live a quiet life, and have not had (grasping wood for luck as I type this) a bout of flu for years, and when I have it has been pretty mild.

I think it really does depend upon personal factors. With illness, pregnancy and travel all abound, I would probably have the jab.

I live a quiet life, and have not had (grasping wood for luck as I type this) a bout of flu for years, and when I have it has been pretty mild.

Glad to hear it Chrissy :hug:

I've not had my annual letter from my Dr to tell me they are offering the jab so I completely forgot about it.

Having had swine flu at the very start of the year, I really, really want this jab. I'm not going through that again any time soon and if there is the slightest chance this vaccine can help, I'll have it. (and I'm terrified of needles!)

Do you have to wait to be invited to get it or can you just go in? I should have one as I'm asthmatic.

I'm not certain how it works with the Dr but I think if you are in a high risk category you can just make a normal appointment and ask for it then.

Not being high risk I went to Boots, paid around £10 and left 15 minutes later with a tiny hole in my arm. A surprisingly good service from them.

Nice signature BTW. I read that book earlier this year - I found it excellent.