Kylie's Reading List

Kylie

If you enjoyed Triffids, you should enjoy this one just as much. And f you haven't already, think about reading Chocky too - it's not just a kids' book...

In the early days of the forum, I bought an old box set of John Wyndham books from Kell. I wanted to read The Crysalids again, because I loved it at school.. but I really enjoyed all the books. :(

I looked up Chocky on Wikipedia and it sounds a bit scary for a kids book! Still, it looks pretty good. Thanks for the recommendation - I'll keep an eye out for it, as I will for other Wyndham books I don't have.

An excellent first Hardy.:D

Thanks Judy :thud: I've read a lot of good reviews about it on here.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to a Winter Magic Festival at Katoomba in the Blue Mountains today. There are quite a few good bookshops up there (a happy coincidence) so I thought I might get to look in a few. Seems most of them were closed because of the Festival but at least one shop had a book stall. $2 per softcover book so I got 14, much better than I thought would do! :(

Richard Adams: Watership Down

Ian Fleming: Diamonds Are Forever

Miles Franklin: My Brillilant Career

Helene Hanff: 84 Charing Cross Road

Hermann Hesse: Steppenwolf

Aldous Huxley: Point Counter Point

James Jones: From Here To Eternity

Elyne Mitchell: The Man From Snowy River

Robert O'Brien: Z For Zachariah

George Orwell: Animal Farm

George Orwell: 1984

Mario Puzo: The Godfather

John Steinbeck: The Winter Of Our Discontent

Charles Webb: The Graduate

I've read both Orwell books before, but I didn't have them in book form.

Different Seasons

Stephen King

Rating: 8/10

Published: 1982

Number of pages: 560

ISBN: 0751504335

Summary:

Different Seasons is comprised of four novellas, each completely different from the rest. The four stories are (with Stephen King's quotes included after the titles): Hope Springs Eternal - Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption, 'about an off-beat prison break'; Summer Of Corruption - Apt Pupil, 'an old man and a young boy locked up in a gruesome relationship based on mutual parasitism'; Fall From Innocence - The Body, 'a quartet of country boys on a journey of discovery'; A Winter's Tale - The Breathing Method, 'an off-the-wall horror story about a young woman determined to give birth to her child no matter what (or maybe the story is about that odd Club that isn't a Club'.

Comments:

I was mostly interested in reading this book because of Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption; The Shawshank Redemption is one of my favourite movies and I was interested in seeing how the book and the movie compared. I was surprised to find how similar they were - I had assumed that Hollywood would take a lot of liberties but a lot of the dialogue from the movie came straight out of King's story. So it's no surprise that I loved this novella. I think it's a brilliant story and a wonderful movie.

I found Apt Pupil to be really disturbing and couldn't wait to get it over with, which isn't to say it was a bad story, just that King did well to stir up my feelings of disgust and horror at these two terrible characters. I enjoyed The Body and the interrelationship between the characters. I've previously seen Stand By Me and enjoyed the movie, but didn't remember enough of the movie to interfere with the book. I liked the fact that the ending of The Breathing Method left many unanswered questions about the Club.

Overall, a really good read with some interesting and varied stories. When reading Rita Hayworth... and The Body, in particular, I had to keep reminding myself that this was Stephen King, the 'horror' writer. Highly recommended, even if you would usually avoid Stephen King, as there's next to no horror here.

Started: 11 June 2007

Finished: 22 June 2007

Different Seasons (at librarything.com)

I received more books from a friend I commute home with, who is trying to clear some space on his bookshelves. They all look like being great reads!

Angela Carter: The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories

Colette: The Claudine Novels (At School, In Paris, Married, And Annie

Michael Chabon (ed): All New McSweeney's Enchanted Chamber of Astonishing Stories (which comprises the following short stories)

Lusus Naturae - Margaret Atwood

What You Do Not Know You Want - David Mitchell

Vivian Relf - Jonathan Lethem

Minnow - Ayelet Waldman

Zeroville - Steve Erickson

Lisey And The Madman - Stephen King

7C - Jason Roberts

The Miniaturist - Heidi Julavits

The Child - Roddy Doyle

Delmonico - Daniel Handler

The Scheme Of Things - Charles D'Ambrosia

The Devil Of Delery Street - Poppy Z Brite

Reports Of Certain Events In London - China Mieville

The Fabled Light-House At Vina Del Mar - Joyce Carol Oates

Mr Aickman's Air Rifle - Peter Straub

Donna Tartt: The Secret History

Donna Tartt: The Little Friend

I'm not going to add these to my TBR list just yet. It has grown frighteningly long as it is, and the number of books I've read so far this year just looks pathetic in comparison :(

I bought some books that I've been wanting for a long time! I'm very happy with today's purchases :(

Jasper Fforde: The Eyre Affair

Jasper Fforde: Lost In A Good Book

Jasper Fforde: The Well Of Lost Plots (won this on eBay so don't actually have it yet)

Jasper Fforde: Something Rotten

Mark Haddon: A Spot Of Bother (thanks to this forum)

Maggie O'Farrell: After You'd Gone (thanks to this forum)

Kurt Vonnegut: Slaughterhouse 5

The three Jasper Fforde books were a very pleasant surprise. I had gone to a bookshop to pick up A Spot Of Bother, which I'd seen there recently, and thought I'd look around on the off-chance that there might be some Fforde's in stock (it's a 'bargain' bookshop so you never know what'll you find). They had three of them in stock, and it just so happened that there was an eBay auction ending shortly thereafter for the fourth book I needed to complete the set. I had to make a mad dash back to work, but I made it with a couple of minutes to spare! I tell you, this book buying business can be nerve-wracking sometimes! :thud:

This means that in the past week and a half, 35 books have come into my house! :D

LOL - I'm about to get the three Jasper Ffordes too - I've read the Jack Spratt ones and the first Thursday Next, so now I'm dying to get my mitts on the rest of them!

Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone

JK Rowling

Published: 1997

Number of pages: 223

ISBN: 0747532745

Summary (taken from blurb):

Harry Potter thinks he is an ordinary boy - until he is rescued by a beetle-eyed giant of a man, enrols at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, learns to play Quidditch and does battle in a deadly duel. The reason: HARRY POTTER IS A WIZARD!

Comments:

There's probably not much left to say about the Harry Potter books, so I'll keep it short and sweet. This is the first novel in the series and it's much shorter than the following novels, which is a bit strange considering this is our introduction to the world of Harry and his friends.

These books are great light reads and I think it's a shame that some people avoid them simply because they're so popular. The fourth book had been out for a couple of years before I finally read them and I'm so glad I did. It's not often you can get excited about the release of a book, and I love to see footage of kids and adults on TV all dressed up and waiting in line to get the next book. I don't think that's something we'll see again for a long time, if ever.

If you've been even mildly interested in reading these books but have refused to because you don't want to be like everyone else, well, it's your loss! Highly recommended!

Started: 22 June 2007

Finished: 26 June 2007

Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone (at librarything.com)

Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets

JK Rowling

Published: 1998

Number of pages: 251

ISBN: 0747538484

Harry Potter is a wizard. He is in his second year at Hogwart School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Little does he know that this year will be just as eventful as the last...

Comments:

Another thoroughly enjoyable Harry Potter book. Slightly longer and slightly dark than the first, this book sees Harry trying to find out who is behind the attacks on mudbloods, while most people suspect him.

I always enjoy Harry's chats with Professor Dumbledore at the end of the books - there's a pretty special relationship there. Incidentally, my favourite character is Professor Snape; I always enjoy his scenes with Harry too, especially in the later books (book 5, where Harry is studying Occlumency, and book 6 as well). I think he's going to figure prominently in the last book (hooray!).

I want to re-watch the movies before the next one comes out as well. As I recall, the kids seem to grow up a lot before the first and second movies, and their acting improved too :(

Started: 26 June 2007

Finished: 29 June 2007

Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets (at librarything.com)

The Time Machine

HG Wells (ebook on iPod)

Published: 1895

Number of pages: 128

ISBN: 0141439971

Summary (taken from amazon.com):

When a Victorian scientist propels himself into the year a.d. 802,701, he is initially delighted to find that suffering has been replaced by beauty, contentment, and peace. Entranced at first by the Eloi, an elfin species descended from man, he soon realizes that these beautiful people are simply remnants of a once-great culture - now weak and childishly afraid of the dark. They have every reason to be afraid: in deep tunnels beneath their paradise lurks another race descended from humanity - the sinister Morlocks. And when the scientist’s time machine vanishes, it becomes clear he must search these tunnels if he is ever to return to his own era.

Comments:

An enjoyable story about a nameless time-traveller's journey into the future and his search for the truth about humanity's fate. I liked Wells' interpretation of mankind's future rise and fall and I particularly liked the description of the earth as it appeared millions of years into the future. The Time Machine is also one of my favourite sci-fi movies (the 1960 version); very nicely done. I'm glad to have finally read this (short) book and would definitely recommend it to others.

Started: 26 June 2007

Finished: 30 June 2007

The Time Machine (at amazon.com)

Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban

JK Rowling

Published: 1999

Number of pages: 317

ISBN: 0747546290

Harry Potter, along with his best friends, Ron and Hermione, is about to start his third year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Harry can't wait to get back to school after the summer holidays. (Who wouldn't if they lived with the horrible Dursleys?) But when Harry gets to Hogwarts, the atmosphere is tense. There's an escaped mass murderer on the loose, and the sinister prison guards of Azkaban have been called in to guard the school...

Comments:

I like this book slightly more than the first two, particularly the whole time-turning part at the end (which I thought was done really well in the movie too). This book introduces Professor Lupin, a very likeable character, and also the hippogriffs, which will play an important role in an upcoming book. A jolly good read.

Started: 29 June 2007

Finished: 2 July 2007

Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban (at librarything.com)

I'm currently re-reading HPATPOA too. I noticed that Snape wanted the defence against the dark arts work in on the Monday morning, and it was the Monday mrning when Lupin said it wouldn't need doing!

And is that when Hermione was disappointed because she'd already done it? :hyper:

I've almost finished Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, possibly my favourite HP book. I'm up to the slightly scary graveyard scene.

I tried to re-read bok 6 a few months ago and didn't get very far. Have decided I'll save it for my 'moving' reading as I'll have had to return all my library books by then. I'm looking at 5-6 hours to just get as far as my parents followed by about 3 hours the following day to get to the new place (all by train) so it should be big enough to see me through all that!

Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire

JK Rowling

Rating: 9/10

Published: 2000

Number of pages: 636

ISBN: 0747550999

It is the summer holidays and soon Harry Potter will be starting his fourth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Harry is counting the days: there are new spells to be learnt, more Quidditch to be played, and Hogwarts castle to continue exploring. But Harry needs to be careful - there are unexpected dangers lurking...

Comments:

This is probably my favourite Harry Potter book. It's a fair bit longer than the first three, but not too long. Harry also hasn't gotten too irritating yet. I wish there wasn't so much about house-elves though; Dobby, Winky and Kreacher (in the next book) are all really annoying characters.

The Triwizard Tournament, and everything that comes about as a result of it, is entertaining reading. The novel is much darker and more scary than the previous books and there's never a dull moment.

Started: 2 July 2007

Finished: 6 July 2007

Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire (at librarything.com)

Goblet of Fire is my favourite HP book to date - it's so full of action and adventure with real thrills and spills along the way. It's where things really start taking a darker turn - really I think it's the turning point in Harry's life where he realises that he has to shoulder a great responsibility and there's the very real possibility that he could die in the process!

I found a couple of excellent second-hand bookshops today and couldn't resist (I've been good for a week and a half!). I've been after several of these (Asimov, du Maurier, Williams, Wylie) for ages.

Isaac Asimov: I, Robot

Wilkie Collins: The Moonstone

Wilkie Collins: The Woman In White

Daphne du Maurier: The Birds And Other Stories

Daphne du Maurier: My Cousin Rachel

Daphne du Maurier: Rebecca

F Scott Fitzgerald: The Beautiful And Damned

Aldous Huxley: Crome Yellow

Hunter S Thompson: The Rum Diary

Kurt Vonnegut: Timequake

Tennessee Williams: A Streetcar Named Desire And Other Plays

Jonathan Wylie: Across The Flame

What a fantastic haul!

Thanks Louise, I thought so too! :hyper:

Now the problem is to find room for them. I'm seriously short on space. I might have to pack away more of my CDs so I can gain an extra (small) bookshelf. :)

Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix

JK Rowling

Published: 2003

Number of pages: 766

ISBN: 0747551006

Dumbledore lowered his hands and surveyed Harry through his half-moon glasses. 'It is time,' he said, 'for me to tell you what I should have told you five years ago, Harry. Please sit down. I am going to tell you everything.'

Harry Potter is due to start his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. He is desperate to get back to school and find out why his friends Ron and Hermione have been so secretive all summer. However, what Harry is about to discover in his new year at Hogwarts will turn his world upside down...

Comments:

Another stunning chapter in Harry's life. This book loses points, however, for a few reasons. Harry is, for the most part, really irritating in this book. He spends most of his time shouting at the people that care about him the most. He redeems himself slightly in the DA classes, which are enjoyable sections to read - I think JK Rowling could have devoted more time to the DA classes and a bit less time on other parts (like the somewhat long-winded start of the book). It probably could have been trimmed a bit in other places too; this is one long book. Maybe Rowling was trying to make up for the earlier, shorter books. Dolores Umbridge also irritates me; it was a bit of overkill I think.

The scenes that take place at the end in the Ministry of Magic are done well and are very exciting (also very sad). We also finally receive some answers to questions that have plagued the reader since the first book - namely, why did Voldemort try to kill Harry? An enjoyable, if long, read.

Started: 7 July 2007

Finished: 13 July 2007

Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix (at librarything.com)

I think that Rowling, in this book, is trying to explain a lot of things. This book needs to catch up with things so that the battle against Voldemort can commence. These things could not have come in earlier books, as it was the wrong time. There are also a lot of questions that come out of reading this book, so by tying up loose ends Rowling, is making the readers less confused.

I'm almost done with the 6th book. I've purposely slowed down the reading so I'd be sure to finish today; that way I can carry on tomorrow without suffering HP withdrawal for a day (I've been reading them non-stop for almost a month, after all!). I love that you've put Hogwarts as your location Icecream :lol: I feel very much as though I've been living there for the past month (with the occasional sidetrips to Privet Drive and Hogsmeade) because I've been so immersed in the books.

I have to say, I'm pretty excited about tomorrow :lol: I've been talking about the book a lot at work with another HP fan and we've just been getting more and more excited. I expect I won't be visiting the forum until next Tuesday; I'll be shutting myself away to read the 7th book, and I'm also going away so I won't have net access for a couple of days anyway.

To all my fellow BCF Harry Potter fans, I hope you have a pleasurable reading experience and that it ends the way you hope it will! OK, I think I'm getting a little too caught up in the hype :( But what the heck? It's not very often such a huge event comes along in the literary world, so I'm going to milk it for all it's worth!

:exc: :exc: :exc:

You do that Kylie. I love Harry Potter just because I think it is wonderful and I am so very excited. I too feel I have been living in Harry's world lately, although I am a little mad that I couldn't get to the 6th one. We have had tantrums and allsorts this wk. It is still fresh in my memory though.

Harry's anger in the fifth bk is obviously tied to his link with voldemort. It will be interesting to see what happens to Harry's mental state if he defeats voldemort.