Thomas Hardy

Bunny

Gosh! Another prospective hardy fan! There are two or three of us here who adore his work. My personal favourite is the Woodlanders, but I don't think I would recommend it as an early read. The Mayor of Casterbridge is a good one to start with. Tess is a bit depressing, IMHO , but I know Jude the Obscure is a favourite, as is Far from the Madding Crowd. The others will recommend their favourites, I'm sure.

Have you tried any of his poetry? Although I love his novels, I actually think is he is a better poet than novelist.

Pp

PDR said,

Hey ditto! So did a good deal of critics, which is why he never wrote another novel after Jude. Whoops
!

LOL...I have not read much about Hardy. Like Angel (I think it was Angel...sorry if it wasn't, my memory is appalling), I would like to read a biography or something, but it's nice to know that I am not alone in my views!

I've read "A Pair of Blue Eyes by Thomas Hardy, took me a while to read it but I got there and loved every page of it. Now I'm wondering which one to attempt to read next. Which one would you recommend ?

As Purple Poppy anticipated Far From the Madding Crowd is a favourite - it's my personal favourite. I read it at school at 16 and thought it was wonderful and then again in my 30's for my degree and loved it just as much second time around. I love the descriptions in it, the use of pathetic fallacy, the characters, the emotional truths, in fact everything!!!

happy reading!

Great, another Hardy fan! He is one of my favourite classic writers! I really enjoy Jude the Obscure (read so many times, I've lost count) and Far From the Madding Crowd. The Woodlanders is good for a 'minor' work, Return of the Native is OK. Tess is also enjoyable

Hey ditto! So did a good deal of critics, which is why he never wrote another novel after Jude. Whoops!

This may have been because the book was publicly burnt by the Clergy of the day! This may have destroyed his confidence although many have argued that he was ahead of his time

I've read "A Pair of Blue Eyes by Thomas Hardy, took me a while to read it but I got there and loved every page of it.

Hmm, maybe i'll try that - i did tess in school and loved it but havent read anything else of his, have always meant to ready far from the madding crowd

AndmeAndme...... :blush: My head is full of romantic notions and I *love* Hardy. What a writer! Poetry, prose. . . I bet even his shopping lists were descriptive. All good stuff.

For me the best is Far From The Madding Crowd. I love it all. Storyline, characters, setting, the flow, the countryside. I mean "wimbling the haybales". . . <sigh>

The Mayor of Casterbridge is a good one to start with. Tess is a bit depressing, IMHO , but I know Jude the Obscure is a favourite, as is Far from the Madding Crowd.

I'd agree that the Mayor of Casterbridge is a good one to start with - I read it at school for O level. Tess is a bit depressing though very beautiful, but IMHO Jude is far more so (and also might qualify for the lonnnnng books thread). I like Far from the Madding Crowd too, but it's a been long long time since I've read any Hardy. I count him as one of my major influences - I spent far too many angst-ridden teenage hours agonizing over Tess...:blush:

Sam said,

I spent far too many angst-ridden teenage hours agonizing over Tess...:blush:

LOL, maybe Anna is really Tess and that is why I am having trouble placing her! (PPs Parlour). No, they are very different... although both oppressed outwardly, their spirit shows and wins through in the end.

Oh shut up PP!:roll: LOL

• 5 months later...