The Girls by Lori Lansens

Weave

Title of Book: The Girls

Name of Author: Lori Lansens

Amazon ISBN Number: 1844083667

The Blurb:

'In twenty-nine years, Rose Darlen has never spent a moment apart from her twin sister Ruby. She has never gone for a solitary walk ot had a private conversation. Yet, in all that time, she has never once looked into Ruby's eyes. Joined at the head, 'The Girls' (as they are known in their small town) attempt to lead a normal life, but can't help being extraordinary. Now almost thirty, Rose and Ruby are on the verge of becoming the oldest living craniopagus twins in history, but they are remarkable for a lot more than their unusual sisterly bond. '

I heard about 'The Girls' on this forum and I am sorry to say I can not remember which member it was who recommended it, so I want to thank you and apologise for forgetting who you are. :D

'The Girls' tells the story of Rose and Ruby Darlen, the oldest living craniopagus twins in history, in their home town they are known as 'The Girls' the conjoined twins who arrived in the midst of a hurricane, abandoned by their 18 year old mother who claims her name is Elizabeth Taylor. After their mother leaves, the nurse who assisted bringing the twins in the world who is called Lovey Darlen and her husband Stash (his full name is Stanislaus, originally from Grozovo, Slovakia), adopt the twins and name them Rose and Ruby.

The story is told by Rose and Ruby, they are both writing their autobiography, which whilst reading is not off putting, they have different styles of writing, Ruby's way is a more of diary approach, funny and light, showing her sparkling personality, she feels she is writing to her friend i.e the reader and Rose's approach is more intense with a lot of feeling, showing her deep personality.

As the story progresses you find out more about the life of Rose and Ruby, how people react to them, how they were raised by their Aunt Lovey and Uncle Stash, Aunt Lovey forever imprinting on Rose and Ruby that they are not different, they are extraordinary but the twins do not feel so extraordinary, they understand the world around them but at the same time have their own world, a world with each other, sisters together,not just conjoined.

'The Girls' is beautifully written, funny, heartbreaking, sympathetic and unforgetable, you will think about The Girls long after you have finished the book.

Rating: 10/10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finished this yesterday and thought it was lovely, it had a nice mix of sorrow/tragedy and interesting stories of life. I thought it was cleverly written, and the 2 girls had very different writing styles, apart from the font used, one very poetic and informative and the other seemed younger, and (as she said) diary-like.

I really enjoyed it and am lending it to someone at work tomorrow :)

I have just started reading this book, (i am only on the second chapter :blush:). I haven't had much time to read today, but i still find it hard to put the book down. It is great so far, hopefully i will be able to read alot more tonight. Thanks again Gyre XxX

I have just started reading this book, (i am only on the second chapter :blush:). I haven't had much time to read today, but i still find it hard to put the book down. It is great so far, hopefully i will be able to read alot more tonight. Thanks again Gyre XxX

You are welcome x:D

I have just been given this book for my birthday, and was looking forward to reading it anyway, but after reading your great review Paula, I think it will have to promoted to very near the top of the TBR mountain.

Thanks for the review. I will let you know how I get on.

Pp