The Twilight Saga ~ Breaking Dawn~Part 1 Film Thread

Weave

I find it hard to judge as well, Chesil. I'm not a parent either and even though I was a bit surprised at what they were able to show, that's only because I'm comparing it to what they were able show when I was a teen myself.

It's hard not to discuss the film without everyone having seen it yet, but what did you think of the movie, Chesil? I loved it, but there were one, possibly two moments that I thought could've been done worlds better.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in two minds about it, to be honest, peacefield. I sort of enjoyed it, but I have a few complaints about a few things. It's not spoiling anything to say I disliked the score in the first half of the film and it really irritated me so maybe that influenced me too much but having said that, I wasn't a fan of Bella's theme in the first film, it was sort of nice to hear it again this time round. The rest of the things I'll leave for spoilerville once a few more people have seen it ;) I'm going again this week so that I can just see if I was being extremely picky!

One thing I meant to say before is that if you're the sort of person who leaves as soon as the credits roll, you'll miss a scene that comes part way through the final credits, so don't leave too early!

I went and saw it Fri night!!!!! :D:D

I must say that although I loved it, the whole tone had changed it was nothing like the other films. (The last book is the same though so not suprising I guess).

I did find Jacob's acting & the other werewolves acting a little bad :blush::huh:

I also found the film felt VERY rushed. It all happened far too quickly for my liking. Whether this was because I had actually read the books for this film & hadn't for any of the others but there didn't seem to be any build up for anything.

Still really enjoyed it & even shed a tear or too haha :blush:

But I think the last film will be better, for me this just didn't seem to fit with the rest of them.

Sure you will all love it though!!

Quick question for those who have seen the film, how sexy are the sexy scenes? My 10 year old has watched the first 3 films with me and she is desperate to see this one too, I am toying with watching it with friends first to judge if it is suitable for her?

It's not too bad although it was more graphic than I expected though to be honest compared to how innocent all the others have been.

It's just a case of them in between the sheets you don't see any bums in air or anything & not so much pumping but more rubbing & grinding. Pulling sexy faces & the odd gasp maybe. It's not on for too long. Then later on there is a scene when Bella is gasping for it & straddles him & they're off again but you don't see as much :wink:

Hope that helps

Edited by Star

^Glad you enjoyed it Laura :)

I enjoyed the movie immensely (there was some flaws but isn't there always?) the film to me felt very true to the book and I loved the whole feeling of the movie, the time did go by very quickly, I can't wait for part 2! :)

I don't know if I was so excited to be there or too engrossed in finally seeing the film after a year of waiting, Chesil, but I didn't even notice the score. I heard the songs from the soundtrack because I'd been listening to it the few days before I saw the film, but other than that I didn't hear it :blush:.

I loved the movie, save for a few parts that I thought were very cheesy. It won't win any awards but I thought they captured the book just right and it DID feel different than the other films. I think that was one of the reasons why I liked it so much. Plus I liked the pace - I liked all the parts of the wedding and honeymoon (duh!) before all the drama. It's funny because I was talking to a co-worker and she thought it was too slow, so it just shows you how tastes differ between people.

Hopefully I'll see it again soon :D.

The soundtrack is so beautiful! I actually thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I thought it was very well done. Critic schmitic, I enjoy what I enjoy. I have to say that Kirsten was absolutely beautiful.

Boy, I've really come round to this whole new age vampire thing.

peace, I enjoyed the pace too! It was so exciting to see the wedding dress and hear the vows and all of that girly stuff =P

Edited by Hyzenthlay

Glad you enjoyed the movie so much Hyzenthlay, I enjoyed the pace too, I just felt he movie was over too soon! :) (I was very engrossed in it :D)

Have now watched breaking Dawn Pt 1 and can honestly say it is the biggest heap of sh*te ever! If I had paid money to see it, I would be going postal on everyone who conspired to take my money from me. It was absolutely awful! I only watched this because a) I'm a completist when it comes to all things vampire and I've read all the books (below mediocre) and watched the previous films, and b) I figured it couldn't get any worse than the last one. I was wrong. The series started poorly and went downhill fast. There are SO many things wrong with it that it would be impossible to list them all, but a couple are that the CGI wolves are even worse than the ones they had in The Day After Tomorrow (and they were bloody awful!), and there were several instances where vamps had sunlight shining directly on them and there were absolutely no sparkles (but then, I think VAMPIRES SHOULDN'T SPARKLE anyway). I could wax lyrical on the poor performances and go into detail about just how badly the scene where the wolves were all talking telepathically sucked, but I'd just bore everyone, so I'll quit now.

Haven't seen it yet Kell but I know I'm going to agree with you! My friend tried to convince me to go during the week and I basically told her to eff off if she thought I was going to spend 8 quid on that thing. I saw all the others in the cinema - I still adore New Moon and think the middle (Jacob bit) is great, but the first is dodgy and the third is pretty dodgy too. That said, the soundtracks of the first two are also great. But definitely avoiding this latest thing like the plague.

That's another thing, actually - the soundtrack to this one is pretty nothing-y as well. And the music is pretty much constant. It reminded me of whe nI tried to watch Twin Peaks, but couldn't because the constantly-present music was so loud I could hardly make out what the characters were saying. In this instance, I COULD hear what was being said, but the music playing ALL THE TIME was still very annoying. Sometimes there's a lot to be said for background SILENCE or just natural sound instead of music. I honestly cannot recall a single moment in that filmwhere there wasn't music playing - it drove me absolutely nuts!

It possibly doesn't help that the other film I watched last night (The Ides of March) was nothing short of brilliant and, in my opinion, a definite contender for several Oscar nominations, so BDP1 suffered evenmore in comparison. At least my whole evening wasn't a complete bust! I would have happily paid twice for The Ides of March - it's THAT good! :)

Weave, Chesil and Hyzenthlay, have you seen the film again yet? Tonight would've been my last chance to see it but the blizzard raging outside stopped me. I'll have to shoot for next weekend. I'm looking forward to catching things I didn't notice the first time.

I was talking to a friend of mine who works at a local public radio alternative music station, having a discussion about the soundtrack to Breaking Dawn and all of the other films. There are a lot of bands on them that I would never have discovered had it not been for their inclusion on the soundtracks and I think they worked really well. They match the pace of the movie (most of the time), and I like that there are a lot of little-known bands that have gotten some exposure.

None of the Twi movies are award-winning, and thank goodness because I'd be pretty worried about the Academy if they had been nominated :lol:.

Weave, Chesil and Hyzenthlay, have you seen the film again yet? Tonight would've been my last chance to see it but the blizzard raging outside stopped me. I'll have to shoot for next weekend. I'm looking forward to catching things I didn't notice the first time.

I was talking to a friend of mine who works at a local public radio alternative music station, having a discussion about the soundtrack to Breaking Dawn and all of the other films. There are a lot of bands on them that I would never have discovered had it not been for their inclusion on the soundtracks and I think they worked really well. They match the pace of the movie (most of the time), and I like that there are a lot of little-known bands that have gotten some exposure.

None of the Twi movies are award-winning, and thank goodness because I'd be pretty worried about the Academy if they had been nominated :lol:.

I have been meaning to go Peace but the weather has been stopping me too (windswept and interesting to the max here!) but I am going to see it again. :) I liked the soundtracks, not all of the songs are classics but I love Tom Yorke's 'Hearing Damage' on the NM soundtrack.

What I liked about the BD soundtrack was how music was played from the previous movies, it was nice to hear them and so many of the people I was in the cinema with recognised them, it was cool. :)

I would worry about the Academy too if any of the Twi movies were nominated. :)

Edited by Weave

I liked that too, including songs from some of the other films. The newer and alternate version of Iron & Wine's 'Flightless Bird' is just beautiful.

Do you guys have some favorite songs off the soundtracks? I loved both Radiohead songs, Weave, Hearing Damage especially and also 15 Step from the first movie. I also loved all of the Muse songs, and the Florence and the Machine track from the third movie was excellent. Oh and we can't forget the Black Keys 'Chop and Change!' As far as the BD soundtrack goes, I'd say my favorite track is 'I Didn't Mean It' with 'Turning Page' closely behind. But honestly I think I only skip maybe 2 songs tops.

I liked that too, including songs from some of the other films. The newer and alternate version of Iron & Wine's 'Flightless Bird' is just beautiful.

Do you guys have some favorite songs off the soundtracks? I loved both Radiohead songs, Weave, Hearing Damage especially and also 15 Step from the first movie. I also loved all of the Muse songs, and the Florence and the Machine track from the third movie was excellent. Oh and we can't forget the Black Keys 'Chop and Change!' As far as the BD soundtrack goes, I'd say my favorite track is 'I Didn't Mean It' with 'Turning Page' closely behind. But honestly I think I only skip maybe 2 songs tops.

I love '15 step', 'Hearing Damage', 'Chop and Change' (I remember going to see 'Eclipse' and 'Chop and Change' plays as the film opens and I said very loudly, 'That's The Black Keys!' :giggle: I know everyone doesn't like it but I like 'With you in my Head' by Unkle on the 'Eclipse' soundtrack and I don't know know the titles of the songs in BD but I did like 'Iron and Wine ~ The Wedding version and the song playing during Bella's seduction montage :giggle:

Edited by Weave

I love '15 step', 'Hearing Damage', 'Chop and Change' (I remember going to see 'Eclipse' and 'Chop and Change' plays as the film opens and I said very loudly, 'That's The Black Keys!' :giggle: I know everyone doesn't like it but I like 'With you in my Head' by Unkle on the 'Eclipse' soundtrack and I don't know know the titles of the songs in BD but I did like 'Iron and Wine ~ The Wedding version and the song playing during Bella's seduction montage :giggle:

Oh yeah! I forgot about the UNKLE song, that is a great one :D I also loved the track during the seduction montage. I can't remember now if it's the Noisette's song or the Features, but it's good.

Oh yeah! I forgot about the UNKLE song, that is a great one :D I also loved the track during the seduction montage. I can't remember now if it's the Noisette's song or the Features, but it's good.

Very catchy! :)

It was 'The Features' (I just checked on you tube :D) Thanks peace :)

I haven't, no. I'm suspecting that if I did go, and I kind of want to, I'd be going alone.

I'm pressed for time right now, with my exam coming up and only a couple more weeks before I go home for the holidays :D I really enjoyed the re-use of songs, I think the Carter Burwell songs are so great.

No, I haven't had chance :( I'm still hoping to see it again, and it should be coming to my local cinema (which usually gets the films a few weeks or months after general release) around Christmas, so hopefully I'll be able to go then.