Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 15

Janet

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's on my TBR pile so will look forward to hearing what you think of it Roland.

Finished Suite Française last night, Sue, and I'd recommend it very strongly indeed. As you probably know anyway, it's part of a trilogy which remained unfinished due to Irène Némirovsky's deportation and subsequent death in Auschwitz, and all the more poignant for that. Essentially, I suppose, it's all about the human condition - how do people react in time of social upheaval like war? How do they relate to their occupiers? It's got some very well drawn characters, and it's one of those books where, although not a lot happens, quite a lot happens! Unlike some foreign fiction, it's very well translated too. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, as I did.

I have started reading A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers. I'm about halfway through the long, but very entertaining, acknowledgements section.

Couldn't resist, Kylie? :giggle2: I'll be making a start on this one today as well.

I decided to buy the app called Book Crawler and scanned 113 books in today. Thanks for suggesting the idea, Sofia!! :D

isn't it the best?? I've scanned 211 so far....I love that I can also add my already read lists....and want lists as well...have fun :D

Couldn't resist, Kylie? :giggle2: I'll be making a start on this one today as well.

Nope! I should know better than to try and resist the Rory Gilmore group. ;)

I received a book in the mail this afternoon: A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway.

Despite having a clear plan of what my next five reads would be, I picked up 'Broken' by Karin Slaughter and read it over the weekend. A gripping read as usual from Ms Slaughter.

And despite knowing my next read, I have made a start on the next Karin Slaughter book, 'Fallen'. I am already in reading 'til I drop mode. :D

I finished The Spook's Apprentice, the first book in the Wardstone Chronicles by Joseph Delaney, and LOVED it! I made a thread here in case anyone else has read these books. I'll definitely be getting the second one. I've also just started When God Was A Rabbit, by Sarah Winman. I'm about 80 pages in and so far enjoying it. In reviews I'd read, I'd heard that the author 'tries to pack too much story in', but to be honest, while I agree it's chocablock with story, I love it! I think it's awesome.

I swapped my Sainsburys Nectar points for £20 of Amazon vouchers today and have spent them already! (I may have had to pay a little extra :blush: )

I have ordered -

A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini

Tall Story - Candy Gourlay

Mister God, this is Anna - Fynn/Rowan Williams

Nights at the Circus - Angela Carter

Desires of the Dead (sequel to The Body Finder) - Kimberley Derting

The Search - Nora Roberts

Generation Dead - Daniel Waters

I finished Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden - Changes yesterday so I am up to the latest one now which I am tempted to get I had forgotten how good this series was so thanks Karsa for reminding me.

Yay, go me! :cool::lol:

I'm currently 490 pages into Chasm City by Alastair Reynolds, and I am getting the inclination to go to Waterstones at lunchtime and buy more of his books :out:

Damn Waterstones and their '3 for 2' on pretty much all fiction paperbacks - I went in intending to buy one book and ended up with, well, three :doh::lol:

Anyway, they're all by Alastair Reynolds: Revelation Space (which I've read before, got rid of and now want to read again :rolleyes: ), House of Suns and Terminal World.

And I just got Perdido Street Station by China Mieville for Kindle, which is also one I've read before, got rid of and want to read again :doh:

Will probably finish Awakening by William Horwood tonight-a nature fantasy revolving around the seasons set in modern day England and parallel Hyddenworld. Very good. Room by Emma Donahue could well be next up.

I'm halfway through Nemisis - Jo Nesbo Enjoying it very much so far. :)

I also downloaded The Devils Star - jo Nesboto my kindle, so I've got it ready to start as soon as I finish Nemisis. :D

Doh! Speaking of three books, I was supposed to get a free Penguin bag when I bought three Popular Penguins today, but I forgot about it at the checkout and I guess the cashier did too. :(

Anyway, I'm thrilled with my book haul today:

Jorge Luis Borges: Labyrinths

EL Doctorow: Ragtime

George Orwell: Books v. Cigarettes

Arthur Schopenhauer: The Horrors and Absurdities of Religion

Evelyn Waugh: Vile Bodies

Doh! Speaking of three books, I was supposed to get a free Penguin bag when I bought three Popular Penguins today, but I forgot about it at the checkout and I guess the cashier did too. :(

Anyway, I'm thrilled with my book haul today:

Jorge Luis Borges: Labyrinths

EL Doctorow: Ragtime

George Orwell: Books v. Cigarettes

Arthur Schopenhauer: The Horrors and Absurdities of Religion

Evelyn Waugh: Vile Bodies

I love Penguin books...I'd be upset too! Call them and explain, then tell them you'll pop over to pick up your bag :)