YA novels to be made into films

nursenblack

In the most recent EW (Entertainment Weekly) magazine I received, it listed several YA (young adult) novels that are being made into films, having a screenplay written or have someone intrested in writing a screenplay. I'm pretty excited about a few of these, and it has gotten me interested in reading the books that I hadn't heard of and some that I haven't read yet. I practically squealed when I read the article.

Here is the list of the books along with the studio:

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater- (Unique Features) screenplay by Nick Pustay

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl- (Warner Bros.)

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare- (Screen Gems) (will star Lilly Collins)

Delirium by Lauren Oliver- (Fox 2000)

Divergent by Veronica Roth- (Summit Entertainment)

Earthseed by Pamela Sargent- (Paramount) (screenplay by Melissa Rosenburg, screenwritter for Twilight saga)

Incarceron by Catherine Fisher- (Fox 2000) (will star Taylor Lautner)

Matched by Ally Condie- (Disney/Offspring Entertainment) (screenplay being written)

Pure by Julianna Baggott- (Fox 2000) (novel not released until 2012)

Warm Bodies by Issac Marion- (Summit Entertainment) (will star Nicholas Hoult from About a Boy and Skins)

I'm particulary excited about Shiver and Delirium. I hope they will all be well done.

Guest JellyBeans91

I haven't read any of these books but I have just ordered city of bones by Cassandra Clare. Hopefully I'll read it before the film comes out.

There was talk of The Hunger Games being made into a film, but I'm not sure what happened in the end.... The sequel to I am Number Four should be out next year too..

The Hunger Games is definitely being made into a film and a large amount of the cast has been revealed. Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen was the cover of Entertainment Weekly and she looks great!

And here it is:

ew-cover-1156_300.jpg?w=300&h=400

The Hunger Games is definitely being made into a film and a large amount of the cast has been revealed. Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen was the cover of Entertainment Weekly and she looks great!

And here it is:

ew-cover-1156_300.jpg?w=300&h=400

Wow! she does look great, I'm looking forward to the movie. :)

Edited by Weave

Ooh, I can't wait to see The Hunger Games. Lawrence looks great as Katniss.

I don't recognise most of those novels. It's interesting that there's a movie being made of a novel that hasn't even been published yet!

• 2 months later...

I can't wait for Hunger Games, and I can't believe they are making Shiver into a movie... but I can at the same time. Oh how I loved that book! I'm one of those people that worries about books being turned into films though - not because they could be bad, but because I don't like people jumping on badwagons just because a film is being made... even though that's what I did with I am Number 4. Watched the film, read the book.... I'm such a weirdo! haha.

Excited about these though - I love adaptations!

There's rumors of Catherine Hardwicke directing a movie version of The Maze Runner also..... a movie I would love to see made but by anyone other than that butcher of a director!

Haha, you no like then? I really loved Thirteen and loved the way Twilight turned out (even though I know a lot of people had a bit of a grump about the final picture), I haven't seen anything else she has done, but she does have a particular style. Sometimes a blessing, sometimes a curse. You never know, she could have a vision and see it through :) (I'm a wishful thinker!)

Haha, you no like then? I really loved Thirteen and loved the way Twilight turned out (even though I know a lot of people had a bit of a grump about the final picture), I haven't seen anything else she has done, but she does have a particular style. Sometimes a blessing, sometimes a curse. You never know, she could have a vision and see it through :) (I'm a wishful thinker!)

I thought Twilight was pretty badly done and I recently saw Red Riding Hood or whatever it was called and thought it was absolutely dire. :doh:

I thought Twilight was pretty badly done and I recently saw Red Riding Hood or whatever it was called and thought it was absolutely dire. :doh:

hehe - I loved Twilight, but I think it was because it was so cheesy. I have to admit though, I loved the whole tone of it, the colours and the moodiness of it all. The portrayal of the characters is what ruined it for me.

Yeah, I heard red riding was a bit poo - one of my friends watched it and said it seemed exactly like twilight and she didn't even know it was the same director, so that's no good...still I'll probably watch it because I LOVE bad movies. I don't know why! :P

• 2 weeks later...

The Perks of being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky should certainly count as YA turning into a movie. With that Nina/Elena chick from Vampire Diaries and Hermione starring in two of the big female roles. I'm so looking forward to this.

tumblr_lkav49PGiN1qac61s.png

I have to say tho, the byline "we accept the love we think we deserve" seems cheesy and overdone.

Every book is going to be made into a film these days. And to be honest I am not at all exited about the Hunger Games. There is no way they are going to be able to make a good movie, they are just going to spoile the movie :(. They are also making a movie out of wings and they have chosen Miley Cyrus to play Lauren and I think they couldn't have chosen an a actress that was more wrong for the part than Miley. I mean she does not at all look like a fairy. I think they just leave books books and not make movies of them. That they find there inspiration somewhere else. They are also going to make a movie of Evermore and I also think of Fallen and I don't like the idea of that because if the movies are bad, they also spoile the books.

totally agree - although I like seeing certain books made to movies, there is a sudden influx which not only ruins the books for most people, it also attracts people to the stories who used to laugh at you for reading those kinds of books (it's happened to me so many times in the past 2 years that I'm just peeved off about it all now).

I agree that if they get the casting wrong it can really change how someone perceives a movie. In my mind I keep film and books seperate as two totally different artistic medias. I get excited to see how a group of artists interpret one person's vision. Sometimes, if it is done badly, I get disappointed, but it doesn't change the way I feel about the book.

exactly. Like harry potter - I mean, the books are amazing, the films not so much - but they are good in their own right. I love the books, like the films for different reasons... even if the film isn't so good, I still love the books... does that even make sense? I'm starving and losing brain power! :D