Tracy Marie's 2007 Reading List

everydayxangels

September

38. Before I Die by Jenny Downham

37. Crashing Through by Robert Kurson

36. The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen by Syrie James (Dec 11th)

August (3)

35. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

34. The Scandal of the Season by Sophie Gee

33. Loving Frank by Nancy Horan

July (5)

32. Mister Pip by Lloyd James

31. Run by Ann Patchett (Oct 1st)

30. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

29. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling

28. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K Rowling

June (6)

27. The Penny by Joyce Meyer

26. The Last Summer by Ann Brasheres

25. Peony in Love by Lisa See

24. gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson

23. Teach With Your Heart by Erin Gruwell

22. Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen

May (3)

21. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

20. Whistling in the Dark by Lesley Kagen

19. Between, Georgia by Joshilyn Jackson

April (4)

18. Family Tree by Barbara Delinsky

17. The Deep End of the Ocean by Jacquelyn Mitchard

16. A Brother's Journey by Barbara Delinsky

15. Crow Lake by Mary Lawson

March (5)

14. Black and White by Dani Shapiro

13. Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson

12. The Freedom Writers Diary by Erin Gruwell

11. Plainsong by Kent Haruf

10. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

February (5)

9. Life's Golden Ticket by Brandon Burchard

8. The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls

7. Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult

6. The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

5. Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

January (4)

4. The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom

3. Cage of Stars by Jacquelyn Mitchard

2. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

1. Astrid and Veronika by Linda Olsson

ON MY SHELF

Advanced Readers Copies (1)

Mozart's Sister

*Release dates in AMERICAN dating system

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, I'm only fifteen, so my contacts aren't anywhere near the book business.

It's apart of my job, and I work at a local independent bookstore. We have three shelves in the back filled with ARC's and organized by released date. For adult Fiction books, I'd say there's easily 120. Mystery about 60. For Non-Fiction probably 50. And for Kid/YA there's about 100. it's the biggest perk of the job. :D Even got an ARC to Mitch Alboms new book :D even though it has obviously been released by now.

WOW! How did you land such a fab job? There'll be loads of envious people on here, all turning green at the same time!

PP:mrgreen:

lol, the store I work had have been hiring highschool girls for quite a while. Like 15 years. Infact one of the highschool girls from '94 is infact the store manager now, and she's wonderful. It's pretty weak pay though. $6/hr. minimum wage for people under 18. But i dont have to support myself so I dont really mind. ;)

Wow! That sounds like a fab job! It must be fun.

I did think about going to a bookshop for my Work Experience week last year. Couldn't find anywhere that did it so I went and worked in a Library instead. That was quite good.

I guess a goal that I have for myself, as far as reading goes, I want to read more books than I have last year. Last year I really only started to read consistantly in August, and read only 12 books I think. I want to read atleast 4 books a month. that's 48 books in one year. That's pretty good :D

I feel like I read pretty slow though compared to someone like Kell ;) who reads at the speed of light. It takes me like a week to get through a 250 page book.

Anywho, I finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See, and I thought it was incredibly wonderful. I dont do reviews because everything comes out as a jumbled mess, and less helpful than just not even writing a review. The book has to do with foot-binding in the first part, which was the hardest to get through, and the troubles of being a woman in communist 1800 China is shown throughout. It was heartbreaking the way that even the women themselves referred to themselves as worthless.

I feel like that too. I didn't read many books last year and would like to. Partly because i was doing my finals at university and partly because I am also a slow reader (until I get into it then i'm fine. I think it is more a concentration thing).

Not sure how well reading nore will work with a baby due any time though.

I am so thrilled with Cage of Stars! This book is absolutely delicious. And such a nice relief from the gravity of Snow Flower. Not to say that Cage of Stars is light and fluffy, it just doesnt have that constant pain that Snow Flower did. Already 2 fabulous books in 2007!

I was thinking of adding Jacquelyn Mitchard's book Breakdown Lane to my list of books to read. might take a while to get around to reading, but I think I will add it. It was on my list when that list was up in the hundreds, but then got cut for some reason. Lack of interest. And it will be one of the higher up books to read, also! It'll come right after the 11 Library books, and then after the 20 something ARC's. Yup. it's a priority. ;)

I finished Cage of Stars!!!! This book was so good, I cannot even believe it! I dont care if it's speaking too early, but this one will definitely be one of my favorite books of 2007.

I absolutely loved the comfortable lifestyle Mitchard painted in the-middle-of-no-where town in Utah, and the loving parents that Veronica had. I wanted to jump right in and grow up in that kind of house.

It also taught me a lot about mormons. Even though these were fictional characters, it broke a lot of stereo-types i guess. I enjoyed this book SOOOO much

I finished The Five People You Meet in Heaven, and it was a rather quick read. almost too quick for me. But I figure all of Alboms books are like that. I enjoyed it, and I thought it was a wonderful book that made you think, But I enjoy the books that throw you into a world all it's own and it's 500 pages, and you devour every single page. ;)

I'm going to start an ARC now. finally. :DNineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult. and I guess it is a Columbine-esque type of book.

I put Nineteen Minutes on hold. Not sure why. but I did. I'll definitely be picking it up again. Everything was just so extreme. Obviously the main subject matter is something extreme. The cliques were extreme, and the way they were described... The way Josie was suicidal without much explination was extreme. And other things. But the writing was really good, just from the beginning

I'm now reading a library book. Never Let Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. Has anyone read it? I think I'll search for it, but it's so confusing. I can't tell what's going on. With the carers and donors at the beginning, and then the past-tense stuff of her School years. I dont get it... My guess is that it's something like the movie The Island, where they're kept alive only to give organs and stuff to other people. They talk about the outside, and things.... and it's just kinda weird.

I'm now reading a library book. Never Let Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. Has anyone read it?
Yes, I read it just at the end of last year. I think it's one of those books that you either really, really like or hate. When I was reading it, a colleague came up to me & said she'd really disliked it & got really angry at the characters, but I rather enjoyed it myself. It's an unusual subject matter & it's approached very tactfully. It's certainly one that gets you thinking. I hope you'll enjoy it. :readingtwo: