Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 14

Chrissy

I don't know how to quote people. madcow,is the legacy a good book? it's one I'm wanting to read.

To quote and reply to one person's post, click the (Reply) button at the bottom of their post.

To quote and reply to any number of different posts in one thread, click the (multiquote) button at the bottom of each post, clicking the (Add Reply) when you are ready to post.

:)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started reading Rachel Caine's Morganville Vampire series book 6 this morning I do like this series even if I do l;eave ages between books, definitely one I will continue to enjoy.

Also reading Truman Capote - In Cold Blood, a fascinating read.

I have given up on the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I am enjoying it less and less with each book.

Started Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut and it's quite funny so far. :lol:

I am worrying more and more about The Dark Tower series. I have these on my LOST book club list, I have book two on my TBR pile. Eeek.

As for Vonnegut. I finnished Slaughterhouse 5 last week and I loved it and I am going to be looking out for the rest of his novels!

It certainly is amazing! glad you enjoyed it. :)

I read it a few weeks ago and I still keep thinking about the characters, I even find myself wondering how they're getting on at times!

Wow! I'm definately going to be keeping an eye out for this book *adds to wishlist*

As for me. I am well over 100 pages into A Butal Art by I really am finding it a good read so far, and my mojo is in full swing. Unfortunately I just don't have the time to read much.

Because of my mojo looking at charity shops has become expensive. I came away yesterday with these books:

Dean Koontz's - frankenstien book one. (I have book 2 on my tbr pile already.) 25p

Joesph Conrad - Heart of Darkness (This is on my LOST book club read) 25p

Steig Larsson - The Girl with The Dragon tattoo. I have read this book and the second but got them both out from the library. I love them so much I wanted to buy them and also re-read before reading 3) £1

Andy McDermott - The Cult of Osiris. (I have three of his other books in the series, including book 1. but I don't have book two which is annoying)

Hoping British sun will come out and I will be able to take the kids to the park and read in the sunshine.

***Edit****

Just ordered The colour of Magic!!!!

Edited by catwoman

I hope you like The Eyre Affair Kidsmum, Jasper Fforde is one of my favourite writers.

Last night I finished About a Boy- Nick Hornby. A good and easy read, but I preferred High Fidelity.

Started Something Rotten- Jasper Fforde today

I finished Rachel Caine's Morganville Vampire book 6 Carpe Corpus before I went out tonight, Love this series must get back on track and read the next few. Still part way through In Cold Blood - Trumn Capote as well.

I've had another busy week, so haven't made much headway in Giants in the Earth, but am still on track for finishing it by next weekend. I also started The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag last night because I'm just so excited to start it and I couldn't contain myself! :lol:

I ran into Border's tonight after work but didn't come out with anything. There are 2 stores near me that are closing and have sales, but everything right now is just 20% off so not really much to see since they're already sort of expensive! I'll have to go back in a few weeks I guess.

Today I read a few chapters of Mr Rosenblum's List and a couple of chapters of Madame Bovary.

I received a book voucher in the mail yesterday (from credit card reward points) and I was a little naughty and spent double the amount in the shop this afternoon. There's a promotion on Vintage books at the moment: 3 for $30, so I got 6. smile2.gif And another book on top of that. And I bought a book for a friend, but that doesn't count.

Jorge Luis Borges: The Total Library: Non-Fiction 1922-1986

Italo Calvino: The Castle of Crossed Destinies

Giuseppe Tomasi Di Lampedusa: The Leopard

William Faulkner: The Sound and the Fury

Ford Maddox Ford: The Good Soldier

Gunter Grass: The Tin Drum

Franz Kafka: The Complete Short Stories

biggrin.gif

Edited by Kylie

Today I read a few chapters of Mr Rosenblum's List and a couple of chapters of Madame Bovary.

I received a book voucher in the mail yesterday (from credit card reward points) and I was a little naughty and spent double the amount in the shop this afternoon. There's a promotion on Vintage books at the moment: 3 for $30, so I got 6. smile2.gif And another book on top of that. And I bought a book for a friend, but that doesn't count.

Jorge Luis Borges: The Total Library: Non-Fiction 1922-1986

Italo Calvino: The Castle of Crossed Destinies

Giuseppe Tomasi Di Lampedusa: The Leopard

William Faulkner: The Sound and the Fury

Ford Maddox Ford: The Good Soldier

Gunter Grass: The Tin Drum

Franz Kafka: The Complete Short Stories

biggrin.gif

Hi Kylie - I see you got The Leopard after all :D good luck with that - hope you enjoy the read!

and you're right - getting a book for a friend doesn't count :giggle:

Hi Kylie - I see you got The Leopard after all :D good luck with that - hope you enjoy the read!

and you're right - getting a book for a friend doesn't count :giggle:

Yep! See, you really did help. :)

I'll use any excuse not to add a book to my 'books acquired' list. mocking.gif

I've finished Truth Dare Kill - gordon Ferris an easy but good crime thriller.

Yesterday I bought Mrs Fry`s Diary - Mrs Stephen Fry I saw this on amazon and resisted temptation but couldn't resist it in the shop with 60% off! it looks as though it will be very amusing as one would expect from stephen Fry. :D

Happy reading everyone :)

I am starting to get into 'Wonderful Fool' by Shusaku Endo :)

Edited by Weave

Just purchased the final tale of Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen, The Crippled God, for my Kindle. I'm very excited. Now I just need to finish re-reading the three previous books in the series, Reaper's Gale, Toll The Hounds and Dust of Dreams so I can read it :lol:

I received in the mail today a LOVELY brithday gift from Weave - The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. My first Haruki Murakami novel! I'm very excited :D.

You are very welcome peacefield hen, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do, its definite favourite in my house :)

Hi all,

I haven't been using my mobile phone much the last 2 weeks so the money I would have spent on top ups I spent on books from Amazon downloaded onto my kindle.

I am really chuffed because I got all the ones I have been recommended on here recently plus a couple of random purchases.

All in all I got 7 books for £20.49. They are:

The Help

Room

Never Let Me Go

The Girl Who Played With Fire

The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest

Return Of The Men

Galaxy Unknown

The only one which was expensive was The Help at £6.49, all the others were far cheaper than buying a new physical book.

Compared to my old habit of browsing Charity shops , this is more expensive, BUT for once I can be reading the same contemporary books that everyone else is...

Hi all,

I haven't been using my mobile phone much the last 2 weeks so the money I would have spent on top ups I spent on books from Amazon downloaded onto my kindle.

I am really chuffed because I got all the ones I have been recommended on here recently plus a couple of random purchases.

All in all I got 7 books for £20.49. They are:

The Help

Room

Never Let Me Go

The Girl Who Played With Fire

The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest

Return Of The Men

Galaxy Unknown

The only one which was expensive was The Help at £6.49, all the others were far cheaper than buying a new physical book.

Compared to my old habit of browsing Charity shops , this is more expensive, BUT for once I can be reading the same contemporary books that everyone else is...

Epic haul Vodkafan :) aren't they great? :)

Epic haul Vodkafan :) aren't they great? :)

Don't know haven't read them yet! I have 1/4 of a book to finish then I will start on one of the new ones tonight...looking forward to choosing.

As for Vonnegut. I finnished Slaughterhouse 5 last week and I loved it and I am going to be looking out for the rest of his novels!

Because of my mojo looking at charity shops has become expensive. I came away yesterday with these books:

Dean Koontz's - frankenstien book one. (I have book 2 on my tbr pile already.) 25p

Joesph Conrad - Heart of Darkness (This is on my LOST book club read) 25p

Steig Larsson - The Girl with The Dragon tattoo. I have read this book and the second but got them both out from the library. I love them so much I wanted to buy them and also re-read before reading 3) £1

Andy McDermott - The Cult of Osiris. (I have three of his other books in the series, including book 1. but I don't have book two which is annoying)

Hi catwoman, Lot of good reading there for a couple of quid ! So Dean Koontz has done a version of Frankenstein? Interesting...how does it compare to the original?

About Vonnegut, one which really made an impression on me was Dead Eye Dick. But I have heard a lot of people say they didn't like it. But it made me think a lot about choices in life, accidents that change us, and about us becoming what we do .

I'm about half way through One Of Our Thursdays Is Missing and loving it, even though it has taken a slight detour from the rest of the books in one aspect (but I'm not going to give it away for everyone else who will be reading it :wink: ). Been trying to find some more Sarah Salway books in ebook format, but only the one I've already read is available, so have been investigating library catalogue, and they have one of her other books so I've reserved that, but the rest remain distinctly absent :irked: May have to invest in some the actual books myself, but they are quite expensive even on amazon.