Purple Poppy's Parlour

Purple Poppy

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would like to read at some point

These are all books that I've never read but would like to at some point in the future. There will be a separate list for my TBR Mountain. If someone recommends a book on the list I will star it so that when I come to choose a book it might make it easier.

Frankenstein - Mary Shelley

Barchester Towers - Anthony Trollope

The Railway Children - E.Nesbit **

Far from the Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy Far From the

Diary - Samual Pepys *

Vanity Fair - W.M.Thackeray **

The Forsyte Saga - John Galsworthy *

The Mill on the Floss - George Elliot

Vile Bodies - Evelyn Waugh **

For Whom the Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemingway

Bliss and Other Stories - Katherine Mansfield

Treasue Island - Robert Louis Stevenson

Lord Jim - Joseph Conrad

The Virgin and the Gypsy - D.H.Lawrence

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

The Canterbury Tales - Geoffrey Chaucer

An Instance of the Fingerpost - Iain Pears

Joe Cat series by Shirley Rousseau

Lillian Jackson Braun-Cat Who series.

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

Hidden Talents by Erica James

Joyce Fussey's? "Cat's in My Coffee

More to be added

Just wanted to recommend Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy from your list. We did it school for 'O' level (shows how long ago it was!) - I loved it at 16 and loved it as much when I read it again in my 30's for my degree. I think it's a wonderful story and is so true in its treatment of human relationships particulalry unrequited love. Some of the scenes were so dramatic that I continued to remember them for years afterwards.

Happy reading!

:readingtwo:

Judy said

Just wanted to recommend Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy

Thank you, Judy. I love Thomas Hardy too, but I can't remember whether I ever read this one. I found it on the bookshelf when I was listing the books and thought I'd add it to the list. I always associate it with the film and Terence Stamp (I think?)

I shall mark the book with a star. Thanks :readingtwo:

Mill on the Floss is a good book, which I reread last year.

I have most of these books on your list! I collected them as part of a series that came out 20 years ago - a part magazine called The Great Writers. They were all hard backs - they are still my pride and joy on the shelves (52 in all!!) and they are as good as the day I bought them:smile2:

Angel said

I have most of these books on your list! I collected them as part of a series that came out 20 years ago - a part magazine called The Great Writers. They were all hard backs - they are still my pride and joy on the shelves (52 in all!!) and they are as good as the day I bought them:smile2:

Guess what! That's exactly what most of them are! I have all 52 as well, plus the magazines somewhere. I was cataloguing my books and went through them, having forgotten most of what I'd got. They are lovely books. I've read most of them at some point, but the ones on the list are either rereads or were missed out originally. Hardy is one of my favourites. The woodlanders is the one I love the most....cos I did it for GCE!:readingtwo:

Angel said

Guess what! That's exactly what most of them are! I have all 52 as well, plus the magazines somewhere. I was cataloguing my books and went through them, having forgotten most of what I'd got. They are lovely books. I've read most of them at some point, but the ones on the list are either rereads or were missed out originally. Hardy is one of my favourites. The woodlanders is the one I love the most....cos I did it for GCE!:readingtwo:

I thought I recognised that list!!:) I'm hoping that Tiger will soon starton them - she has showed alot of interest in a couple of them.

I also love Hardy's Jude the Obscure, and cry every time when Jude returns home to find his 'wife' and children dead:blush: despite the fact I must have read it at least 5 times!

Angel said

I thought I recognised that list!!:readingtwo: I'm hoping that Tiger will soon starton them - she has showed alot of interest in a couple of them.

They are a lovely set, and mine although they have been on display all that time, are as new too. I had forgotten just what good quality they were, until I started listing them. I don't think it will be long before Tiger has her nose buried in them!

I really need to reread all Thomas Hardy novels as I think I would appreciate them even more nowam older. I just love his descriptions. I think that's partly why he's such a good poet. Have you read any of his poetry?

Unfortunately not yet, but I keep meaning to!

On my Amazon wishlist is the new biography of his life. Although I am very well known for hating (with a vengeance) this genre, this really grabs me. I think that he was a fascinating, astute and complex character!

• 3 weeks later...

Oh Dear. More added to the TBR Mountain!!

The Bronte Project - Jennifer Vandever

Super - Cannes - J.G.Ballard

Daphne du Maurier - A Daughters Memoir - Flavia Leng

Nothing Happened - Ebba Haslund

Ellen Terry - Moira Shearer

Sesame and Lilies - John Ruskin

The Man-Booker Prize - 35 years of the best of contemporary fiction, 1969-2003

Another Time, Another Place - Jessie Kesson (but I will be reading Sam's first LOL)

Well...if you go to Libraything and look at my profile and the bit where I introduce my library, I actually make a confession. As our Judy suggested, I tagged the ones to be read, but found there were alot more than I had anticipated, mainly because I kept coming across books I had had for ages and hadn't got round to reading; or because I had originally read them when I was in my teens and wanted to read them again. I will probably have an entirely different take on them now! So that's why, but it doesn't help when I keep picking up other books, does it? Oh dear...think I'm addicted.:D

Hello Amy!! Haven't seen you for ages! Missed you! I am still reading Maus but should finish in the next 24hrs. I printed off your questions and read them in bed last night, so I have been thinking about them today. I will be giving Kell the book at the weekend.

The Bronte Project. Cover reminds me a bit of the Jane Austen Book Club. Couldn't find any reviews on Amazon.

Synopsis

"As to intense passion, I am convinced that it is no desirable feeling" - Charlotte Bronte, 1840. Shy young scholar Sara Frost's unsuccessful search for the lost love letters of Charlotte Bronte hasn't won her any favours at her university, particularly now the glamorous new Head of Princess Diana Studies has introduced her media-savvy exploits to the staid halls of academia. But, it's not until Sara's fiance suddenly leaves her that she begins to question her life's vocation. How can she reconcile the mythology of romance with the harsh reality of modern love? As she tentatively re-enters the dating scene, Sara is to discover that the life and writings of Charlotte Bronte have more to teach her than she could ever have guessed about the perils and pitfalls of the 21st-century relationship game.

See here

Hopefully catch you around VERY SOON XX

Hello Amy!! Haven't seen you for ages! Missed you! I am still reading Maus but should finish in the next 24hrs. I printed off your questions and read them in bed last night, so I have been thinking about them today. I will be giving Kell the book at the weekend.

Hopefully catch you around VERY SOON XX

Hello! :006:I haven't been able to get on the forum as much this week as I've been quite poorly, started my new (and v busy!) job and my back has been playing up. Oh, and my internet connection at home is down :lol: Great!

It's very sad tho' as I'm really missing being on here :lol: It's a bit of a life line, in some ways. And I won't be on this weekend, as I'm visiting my friend for the weekend (although I'm not sad about that, lol).

But I shall return! Properly...

How are you doing tho'? Glad you're enjoying Maus!

x x x x

• 3 weeks later...

Having finished Maus, I decided to have light, short read and chose 'Who said Cats Can't Talk?' by H. Boots (who is a cat...real author is a lady called Audrey Hurry.

Lovely little book, short, only about 100 pages, but the cat narrator, who is the current Number One Cat of eight kitties living together, recounts the history of cats residing with the FAMILY. Very sad in places, but a lovely easy read.

I think, (not sure) that I might read Sams book next. It keeps calling to me!:)

Well into Sams book now. Really enjoying it. However, I took time off this afternoon to read an anthology of poems by a local poet (Aberdeenshire). The collection is called 'The North East Passage, by Tom Bryon. I was a bit concerned that the doric might creep in and spoil it for me, although I do have a NorthEast Doric dictionary. I was pleasantly surprised though. I knew some of the stories about local towns, but the book had an explanatory text , so even if I hadn't known, I wouldn't have been stuck. Very nice read, especially as the poems were about local places and people.

I know I said it already PP, but what a pile you have and loads of luck tomorrow.

I love the sound of 'Who said Cats Can't Talk?', sounds like something I would like. :)

Paula said

One book winging its way to you! (Just as soon as I am mobile enough to get to a PO. Keith is taking Wed Thurs and FRi off this week, so I expect he will oblige.)

Pp;)

PP, you really don't have to, but thank you x:D