Purple Poppy's Parlour

Purple Poppy

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know. I'm choosing from the books that people recommend on here, so with most of the TBR list I think I'm fairly safe. Its just finding the time to read. I think I am going to have to ban myself from the forum!

PP

Nooooooo! You mustn't ban yoursel!:lol:I know what you mean, though - often I'll plan some nice reading time to myself, then get caught up on the board & before I know it, it's bed time! If I weren't a member here, I'd probably get a LOT more reading done, but I don't think I'd have half so much fun with it!

Then watch Bright Youngs Things instead, PP. It's Stephen Fry's film of Vile Bodies (he had to chang the title for American backers). I love it, it's brilliant and it's also my 'totty' film as there's lots of fine young British actors in it! :D :D Can't go wrong with a bit of Stephen Campbell Moore, James McAvoy and David Tennant (even if the latter does sport a very dodgy tash in it). The lovely Emily Mortimer is in it, too.

KNUTSFORD TIMES

DECEMBER 1853

BOOK REVIEW

CRANFORD - MRS ELIZABETH GASKELL

GIF-EG-Elizabeth1832.jpg

Cranford was initially a work published in 'Household Works', and was only meant to be a short (two chapters) fictional version of an essay

Mrs Gaskell had written called 'The last Generation In England'. However these two chapters, titled 'Our Society In Cranford', (which later became the opening of Cranford), were duly followed by more installments until the whole became a novel, published this year 1853.

In many ways Cranford is a reflection of the life of it's author. Elizabeth Gaskell had lost her mother when only 13 months old and had gone to live with an aunt in the sleepy town of Knutsford. Her brother sailed with the East India Company and disappeared. This life event is reflected in Gaskells story of Poor Peter in Cranford, who likewise disappears after sailing away to India. The impact that this event had on Elizabeth can clearly been seen in her writing of the story of Peter. There is much empathy and pathos in the telling of some of the more tragic and sad events of Cranford society which must surely be as a result of the author's own experiences.

Each chapter in the book tells a new tale and yet they are all connected and the characters developed throughout. As a child Mrs Gaskell must have observed the habits and idiosyncrasies of her family and the soiety in which they lived out their lives. The way they practised 'elegant economy' and the lengths they went to, to perfect their etiquette and behave in a manner that befitted their status within society. This is reflected in the descriptive passages relating to the usage of candles, the strict procedure set out by the previous mistress of the house, Miss Deborah Jenkyns being adhered to at all times. Likewise, the saving of the remnants of the wine bottle, either mixed with a new bottle and consumed at a later date, or mixed with other numerous bottles and passed on to the less financially well endowed. Reader, it may surprise you to know, that far from being droll, Mrs Gaskells descriptions of such matters are witty, humouous and empathic, the need for such activities clearly relayed and the worthiness endorsed. However, this reader felt that sometimes the narrator, Mary Smith, was silently frustrated, and though not annoyed, would dearly have loved to shake them out of their pecuniary habits.

Mrs Gaskell writes fluently, and reader, if you are of the disposition to prefer concision in all matters, this is not the book for you. Our author writes long, extended sentences, transgressing from her subject only to return and coninue with yet more elaboration. I find this stimulating, but I am aware that many find it an impertinence well avoided. However, to miss these descriptions is to miss the very essence of this magnificent work, which recalls, gently ridicules, admonishes and chides the values of these genteel communities, yet concurrently conveys much affection for the people and the times, now almost lost to the

rise of the industrial age. With humour, respect and deep affection, Mrs Gaskell presents us with a quaint, but perfectly portrayed cameo of polite society a generation ago.

I commend this book to serious readers with an interest in social history and I look forward to Mrs Gaskells next contribution.

Knutsford Chronicle - PP

Having finished Cranford, I am now immersed in Johnny and the Bomb - Terry Pratchett, which I picked up at the library, in the interests of research. I know there's a thread here devoted to it, so I may add a comment later.

I am also three chapters in to The Cat who Smelled a Rat - Lillian Jackson Braun. Enjoying it so far. Not so sure about the reader...George Guidall. His female voices are a little irritating, but that's something I'll have to live with.

PP

Hi Purple Poppy: So great that you are giving one of the Cat Who books a try. I've never tried one in audio - someone's voice could be a bit "off" for the character. If you enjoy cats, animals in general and have a spot in the heart for Beatrix Potter, may I suggest a new series by Susan Wittig Albert? Her books use Miss Potter as the central character, with a bit of village whimsy - a la Jane Marple- and all the animal characters speak as well - to each other only of course, all the while wishing the humans were only smart enough to "get it". They are just fun. There is a movie coming out now titled "Miss Potter" with Renee Zelwiger sp? in the title role. Albert's books were first, but may have sparked the movie writers - who knows? Enjoy reading you. M&M.

Now finished the Cat Who audio and really enjoyed it, once I'd got used to the readers voice. There seemed to be alot of characters, and I had a job keeping up with who was who.

Another problem with audios is that if I deliberately sit and listen to them, I fall asleep. Not cos I'm bored, but because I have narcolepsy, not badly, but enough to make life difficult, so I either have to be up doing things while I listen, or do an online jigsaw puzzle.

Now I'm listening to Alexander McCall Smith, short stories, which I'm quite enjoying. Unfortunately because of the falling asleep problem, I have to keep listening to bits again, so that I can hear the bits I missed.

Sorry to hear about your narcolepsy PP. Does it ever happen when you're driving.....that would be scarey.

Just thinking of cat books, have you read any of Joyce Fussey's? "Cat's in My Coffee" is one, she loves cats and animals in general and is a very funny lady. They are biographical, she lives in Yorkshire (if I remember correctly) on a small farm and she mostly runs it while her husband works in town. They are really delightful.

I've had a micro sleep once when driving, which was really scary. But when I was driving, I was sensible and stopped and had a five minute nap. But I must say it was sometimes difficult. I think I worked twice as hard at keeping awake because I constantly felt tired. It never occured to me that I might have Narcolepsy. I am not allowed to drive at the moment, which doesn't bother me too much anyway, because of the battle with staying awake, but once I get some medication sorted, then I may be able to drive again.

I will look into the books you talk about and put them on my wanted list. I'm sure someone else has mentioned them. Thanks for the suggestion. I love anything to do with cats :readingtwo:

Another older author that I'm sure you've heard of, and I really love, is Lillian Beckwith. Her stories of the Hebrides are wonderful.

That's a real nuisance PP, it's a wonder you can do so much on the computer .....by the time I've finished I'm usually yawning and feeling cross-eyed. Hope you can get your medication sorted out soon. It's awful feeling tired all the time.

She's actually written a heap, maybe they aren't available but pretty sure they should be.

Some titles are 'The Sea For Breakfast', 'Beautiful Just', 'A Rope in Case.', 'Lightly Poached', 'Bruach Blend'.

She has also written novels but I was not very impressed with them.

When I bought the Loud Halo (when we were on holiday in Dornock , which is Scottish east coast, even further north than Aberdeen, I am sure there were others on the shelf. I'll have another search tomorrow. I might have looked under Loud Halo or something which wouldn't bring the others up.

I'm off now...going cross eyed. (well more than usual):readingtwo: