Poppy's Paperbacks 2011

poppyshake

Poppyshake, I've just finished Henrietta's War, it was absolutely delightful, a real heart-warming, amusing little book. Now I've started another of your recommendations 'Grace Williams Says It Loud', and I know I'm going to love it too. I have a daughter with an intellectual disabilty, so this book is close to home. I am so grateful she was born in the 90's not the 40's or 50's, when this book was set and children inevitably ended up in care.

Thank you for your great recommendations :friends3:

Thank you Poppy :friends0: I do so hope you enjoy 'Grace Williams Says it Loud' .. it doesn't pull any punches but I liked it for that, I believe the author has a disabled sister and drew on her experiences. Grace's treatment in the institution is something that's hard for the reader to deal with but, like it or not, it has a horrible ring of truth to it - like you say so much has changed on that front thank goodness.

So glad you enjoyed 'Henrietta's War' ... such a cheery little book, I almost wish I was reading it now cos it's just the sort of book to enjoy on a cold afternoon in front of the fire with tea and toast! Instead of which I'm battling with Henry James who is a tricksy sort of a writer. The only food suitable for reading with him would be alphabetti spaghetti .. which when tipped onto the plate would spell out 'give up .. you're not clever enough' :D

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've also been buying a few books on Virginia Woolf and the Bloomsbury group recently. Willoyd, Poppyshake and Frankie, it's all your fault! tongue.gif

Yay!! ... all good libraries need a liberal dose of Bloomsbury.

Do you lick them In a 'if I can't have them, no-one can' sort of way? If so, I approve! friends3.gif

Yes, definitely .. it's a form of ownership .. like a cat spraying! :lol:

I have the same reaction when I look at my reading list. :( My poor neglected books from the Canberra book fair haven't been catalogued and shelved, and I have more books arriving in the mail a couple of times a week. I haven't read a thing for days! (Well, not for pleasure.)

Awww :friends0: I get a bit cranky when I can't read or when I feel I have to rush my reading because of lack of time. We should be paid to read, and paid to catalogue and sort.

Poppyshake, you have truly missed your calling in life (reviewer, in case I haven't mentioned it before). I love your one-liners so much! Wodehouse would be proud.

I think I might use you to get rich one day; I'll collect all your brilliant one-liners together in a book and publish it (I'm sure there'll be multiple volumes). We'll be rich I tells ya! :D

:D Bless you (but you won't get rich that way Missy!)

I loved your review of Grace Williams Says it Loud so much that I immediately went to the BD to add it to my wish list, only I ended up ordering it when I saw it was <$5. Bargain!

Oh I'm nervous now, like I said before, there are a lot of people who couldn't get on with it or found it too disturbing. You have an enormous mountain of books to get through though so with any luck you will have forgotten who recommended it by the time it's turn comes .. unless you love it in which case I'll be sure to remind you .. and I hope you do love it Kylie every bit as much as I did :)

Instead of which I'm battling with Henry James who is a tricksy sort of a writer. The only food suitable for reading with him would be alphabetti spaghetti .. which when tipped onto the plate would spell out 'give up .. you're not clever enough' :D

[/color]

Which one (book)? Not quite the same as what is up as your current reading - Jasper Fforde!!

Which one (book)? Not quite the same as what is up as your current reading - Jasper Fforde!!

You've caught me out ... I'm a slapdash updater :smile2: Jasper is but a dim and distant memory now. I'm doing battle with 'The Ambassadors' which is a little difficult, I can't read it unless there is absolute silence and the only way I got through the first chapter (or rather book first) was by reading it out loud. I think I have tuned in to his rhythm now but everyday I pick it up it's like starting again. I'm also reading 'The Tigers Wife' by Tea Obreht which I found hard to get into at first but am now gripped by. I read it at bedtime because Henry just isn't conducive to a good nights sleep, I'd be still trying to unravel his prose come morning.

Is Katherine Mansfield from New Zealand? I bought her collected short stories recently. I can't wait to get stuck into them.

Yes, she was Kylie. She went to England when she was about 16 to attend school and only returned to NZ for short periods after that. She died at 34 from TB. A fascinating and unconventional person, after reading a biography about her, I really liked her.

laugh.gif Poppyshake, you have truly missed your calling in life (reviewer, in case I haven't mentioned it before). I love your one-liners so much! Wodehouse would be proud.

:she:

Thank you Poppy :friends0: I do so hope you enjoy 'Grace Williams Says it Loud' .. it doesn't pull any punches but I liked it for that, I believe the author has a disabled sister and drew on her experiences. Grace's treatment in the institution is something that's hard for the reader to deal with but, like it or not, it has a horrible ring of truth to it - like you say so much has changed on that front thank goodness.

So glad you enjoyed 'Henrietta's War' ... such a cheery little book, I almost wish I was reading it now cos it's just the sort of book to enjoy on a cold afternoon in front of the fire with tea and toast! Instead of which I'm battling with Henry James who is a tricksy sort of a writer. The only food suitable for reading with him would be alphabetti spaghetti .. which when tipped onto the plate would spell out 'give up .. you're not clever enough' :D

That's interesting that the author of 'Grace William Says it Loud' has a disabled sister, her writing rings so true. My daughter does not have cerebral palsy, but I know a young man that does. He is severely disabled, wheel chair bound, unable to talk, but get him on a computer and he can express himself eloquently. And he gives a mean hug :D

I gave 'Henrietta's War' to my Mum to read first, as I had books to finish. She loved it so much that she read it twice. You have to have books like this to read to give you the fortitude and resolve to read the heavier stuff :cool:

Edited by poppy

Its not just me who has to read certain books in utter silence. Not a problem at home but a whole other matter at work.

Hi Brian :) ... all attempts to read Henry James with TV or radio on have failed .. even with silence most attempts at reading him in my head have failed .. I start wandering off and before I know where I am I'm thinking about what's for tea and whether the orange and shortcake limited edition Galaxy bar really does count as one of your five-a day! (I've looked it up since ... it doesn't :() I work from home and I'm usually the only one around likely to make noise so tea breaks are also book breaks (not to mention book forum breaks) :) Major book time is usually of an evening when hubby is invariably watching something 'shoot 'em up' and I barricade myself in another room (which he's totally happy with because if I sit with him watching films he can't hear them through the sound of my tutting :lol:)

That's interesting that the author of 'Grace William Says it Loud' has a disabled sister, her writing rings so true. My daughter does not have cerebral palsy, but I know a young man that does. He is severely disabled, wheel chair bound, unable to talk, but get him on a computer and he can express himself eloquently. And he gives a mean hug :D

That's one thing that the book illustrates .. back in the 40's/50's profoundly disabled people were often institutionalised and for the most part treated and viewed as imbeciles, there was no effort made to even try to rehabilitate or unlock their potential, and even their families didn't know how to cope, they just didn't have the information, help or support needed. I expect there were exceptions like always but they were rare. But, like Grace, your young man has a mind buzzing with thoughts and ideas just like anyone else and with the aid of technology etc he has a chance to express it. I'll put a link in to Emma talking about her sister, it made me blub I confess.

http://www.dailymail...tionalised.html

I gave 'Henrietta's War' to my Mum to read first, as I had books to finish. She loved it so much that she read it twice. You have to have books like this to read to give you the fortitude and resolve to read the heavier stuff :cool:

Definitely, there's always a place for those sort of 'buck you up' books. I'm glad your mum enjoyed it Poppy. Actually I think my mum might .. I hadn't thought of that, thanks Poppy :friends0:

Thanks for the link Poppyshake, yes it is very moving. I'm glad to say that things have improved a lot since that time and the intellectually and physically disabled are now being accepted into society with far more tolerance. Without minimising the struggles, having a disabled child can be the hugest blessing :)

I'm sure there are struggles but the rewards must be tremendous :) I hope you're still continuing to enjoy 'Grace Williams Says it Loud' Poppy. I'm really looking forward to seeing what she comes up with next.

onceinahouseonfire.jpg

Once in a House on Fire - Andrea Ashworth

Waterstones Synopsis: Set in 1970s Manchester, Once in a House on Fire tells the true story of three sisters and their mother, a close-knit and loving family forced to battle with poverty, abuse and the effects of depression. Beautifully written and deeply inspiring, with a new afterword by Andrea Ashworth, it is a book that will stay with its readers for ever. 'This is a brilliant book. Brilliantly written, brilliantly thought, brilliantly remembered ...Ashworth has written an extraordinary memoir; the only pity is that she had to live it to make it' Scotsman 'Enchanting and thrilling ...As a chronicle of northern working-class life in the seventies and eighties ...it would be hard to better this book. It is extremely moving ...It is also at time surprisingly, and gratifyingly, very funny' Tim Lott, The Times 'Full of energy, wit and a child's wide-open gaze ...Andrea Ashworth escaped the fire to write a remarkable book' Blake Morrison, Independent on Sunday.

Review: I suppose you'd call this a misery memoir ... there is a lot of misery but Andrea has such a sense of humour, and she's such a great storyteller, that it's a joy to read (though it is frequently and relentlessly upsetting.) Her story begins in Manchester, it's the 1970's, Andrea is six, her sister Laurie is four ... two dark haired, olive skinned beauties ... their father is dead and their mother has a new baby on the way. Andrea and Laurie are introduced to Peter Hawkins ... 'a looming, red-faced man, quite a bit older than her' and told that this was their new daddy. Andrea skids to a halt one afternoon when she is addressed by her headmaster by a new name ... Andrea Clarke-Hawkins ... 'My name wagged it's ugly new tail, stirring whispers behind my back until the home bell rang. My mother wasn't there to explain the name; she was in hospital giving birth to our new sister, Sarah, who came out blonde and screaming.'

And this is just the beginning really, to say that her mum (Lorraine) is bad at picking men is an understatement. She has two attempts at finding a suitable partner for herself but both choices are catastrophic. Outwardly the men couldn't be more different but, as soon as the chips are down, they both resort to using their fists as weapons and Lorraine's face as a punchbag. It's a cliché but really it's as if Lorraine is drawn towards abusive men, almost as if she doesn't feel worthy of anything better. There are rows, fights, recriminations, depressions, break-ups and reconciliations galore but, although it puts the girls in terrible danger (and completely ruins their childhood) you can't feel anger towards her, she's just too pathetic for that and the life she makes for herself seems it's own punishment really.

As is often the case is these situations, Andrea finds herself having to grow up fast and she's certainly a whole lot more sensible than her mum, having to step in often to run the household at a very young age and be a mum to her two young sisters when her mother is too ill or too beaten to function properly. Amongst the myriad of crimes that can be levelled at both of Andrea's stepfathers, bookcrime is definitely one and if my teeth hadn't already been ground into stumps by the violence then they would have been over their treatment of Andrea's books. School is her salvation though and there's a lovely passage in the book where the nine year old Andrea wins the school annual competition (for wrestling over a hundred words from the name 'Manchester') and wins a green leather bound edition of 'The Secret Garden'. She loves it but is a bit daunted ... 'it felt heavy and exciting between my hands but I couldn't imagine actually opening it to read the pages, because it wasn't by Enid Blyton. My teachers were always telling me that I would have to give up her tales - they talked about 'Enid Blyton' as if it were an illness.' ... She loves learning and recognises that it's her chance to make something of herself and Lorraine for once is adamant that she will because, as she says to her, 'you're my hope' but that's easier said than done in a house where 'smacks come out of the blue' and whisky and blood stains are forever being sponged from the walls and carpet.

The story is a depressing and frightening one but the hope in it is uplifting and she just writes sublimely.

9/10

Edited by poppyshake

• 2 weeks later...

diggingtoamerica.jpg

Synopsis: Friday August 15th, 1997 - The night the girls arrived, two tiny Korean babies are delivered to Baltimore to two families who have no more in common than this. First there are the Donaldsons, decent Brad and homespun, tenacious Bitsy (with her 'more organic than thou' airs, who believes fervently that life can always be improved), two full sets of grandparents and a host of big-boned, confident relatives, taking delivery with characteristic American razzmatazz. Then there are the Yazdans, pretty, nervous Ziba (her family 'only one generation removed from the bazaar') and carefully assimilated Sami, with his elegant, elusive Iranian-born widowed mother Maryam, the grandmother-to-be, receiving their little bundle with wondering discretion. Every year, on the anniversary of 'Arrival Day' their two extended families celebrate together, with more and more elaborately competitive parties, as tiny, delicate Susan, wholesome, stocky Jin-ho and, later, her new little sister Xiu-Mei, take roots, become American. While Maryam, the optimistic pessimist, confident that if things go wrong - as well they may - she will manage as she has before, contrarily preserves her 'outsider' status, as if to prove that, despite her passport, she is only a guest in this bewildering country.

Review: This was very easy to read but just occasionally dull. The two families meet by accident, they are both at the airport to take delivery of their newly adopted baby girls from Korea. Jin-ho's new family are there en masse with badges, banners, camcorders and razamatazz whilst Susan's arrival is a rather more quiet affair but the two families bond over their shared experience and every year on the 'Arrival Day' anniversary a party is held and the old videos watched (they're mainly of Jin-ho .. Susan just happened to be captured in the background.) These parties are fairly excrutiating, not to say competitive, Jin-ho's adoptive mother Bitsy is determined to find a song that they can all sing but despite her best efforts the best they can come up with is 'coming round the mountain'. (and though every year she is determined they will sing something else ... she's always thwarted somehow.) It's a bit like 'One Day' in as much as the story is mainly focused on these once a year celebrations. There's plenty of humour as Jin-ho's family, and Bitsy in particular, are a bit pushy and intense (Bitsy is into organic food, hand woven clothes and wearing black and white because 'babies can't see colours.') .. this is in contrast to the Yazdans who are more laid back and reflective but despite being a little overbearing, Bitsy's warmth and genuine good naturedness is the glue that holds them all together and keeps them in touch. The most interesting character is Susan's grandmother Maryam .. she's the one I wanted to read about though I would have liked to know what the two girls made of it all. We rarely see things from their point of view though and the book finishes before they're grown up.

I like the way Tyler writes, her cast of characters were interesting and her observations spot-on. She has something interesting to say too about immigration and how, it doesn't matter how long you've lived in your adopted country, it can still be an alien place to you. I didn't think it was a great book, there were some dull spots, but it was a good one and I'll be interested to read more from her.

8/10

Edited by poppyshake

b]Once in a House on Fire - Andrea Ashworth[/b]

The story is a depressing and frightening one but the hope in it is uplifting and she just writes sublimely

I read this book years ago. I remember seeing Andrea Ashworth on Richard and Judy talking about it and immediately got a copy even though its not my kind of book and read it straight away - I remember thinking it just wasn't long enough and that no doubt she would follow it up with some great books. I really don't think it is known as well as it should be.

I read this book years ago. I remember seeing Andrea Ashworth on Richard and Judy talking about it and immediately got a copy even though its not my kind of book and read it straight away - I remember thinking it just wasn't long enough and that no doubt she would follow it up with some great books. I really don't think it is known as well as it should be.

I agree, I don't know why she isn't continuing to write (I think it's been over ten years since 'Once in a House on Fire' was published) it's one of the best memoirs out there.

• 2 weeks later...

mydirtylittlebook.jpg

My Dirty Little Book of Stolen Time - Liz Jensen

Waterstones Synopsis: In fin-de-siecle Copenhagen, part-time prostitute Charlotte & her lumpen sidekick, Fru Schleswig, have taken on jobs as cleaning ladies of dubious talent to tide them over the harsh winter of 1897. But the home of their neurotic new employer, the widow Krak, soon reveals itself to be riddled with dark secrets - including the existence of a demonic machine rumoured to swallow people alive. Rudely catapulted into twenty-first-century London, the hapless duo discover a whole new world of glass, labour-saving devices & hectic, impossible romance.

Review: I like Liz Jensen when she's in absurd & wacky mode. When she's more serious (as in books like 'The Rapture' & 'The Ninth Life of Louis Drax) I don't enjoy her as much, it's as if I can suspend disbelief about time travelling & primate human children but when her books are more true to life I find them far fetched & incredible. This is just a real romp from start to finish, it's bawdy & very funny & there's a liberal amount of smut so you need to be broad minded.

Charlotte is a floozie there's no getting away from it & she has the morals of an alley cat but she's likeable & so you do root for her (& she sucks up to the reader something rotten to ensure it.) It's 1897 and Charlotte & her sidekick (or mother .. depending on who you believe) Fru Schleswig are down on their luck. One of Charlotte's regular clients is doing time & another is dead (one bad oyster) & so they need to find an income quickly. And that's how they find themselves working as cleaners for the rather sinister & odd Fru Krak in her gloomy house. Rumour has it that Fru Krak killed her husband, Professor Krak, & further still that his ghost is frequently to be seen travelling the lakeside road to the letterbox. Certainly the house is a strange one, for a start there is the rather mysterious & out of bounds 'Oblivion Room' in the basement. It was Professor Kraks workshop when he was alive & whatever went on in there drew the curiosity & interest of many but these days it is most definitely out of bounds & Fru Krak is murderously determined to keep it that way but Charlotte is one of those girls who most definitely will start poking around the west wing .. especially if forbidden.

It's all incredibly silly & ridiculous but at the same time hugely entertaining especially the first half of the book which I just rattled through. I didn't enjoy the book as much when the story moved to twenty-first century England, it seems ridiculous to say that it didn't ring true, given that nearly everything beforehand was so utterly preposterous but when a story moves to more familiar territory it's easier to see the holes in it. Charlotte finds her love interest in the future & I wasn't entirely convinced about the relationship, also .. a bit like the shrew who was tamed .. she wasn't as interesting or funny when she stopped being bad. But they are just small niggles, on the whole I found it inventive & funny.

I've replaced most of my 'ands' with ampersands as Liz does in this book. If you can cope with it in the review (or didn't notice it) then you'll be ok, if it irritates you, the book will drive you mad.

8/10

I've replaced most of my 'ands' with ampersands as Liz does in this book. If you can cope with it in the review (or didn't notice it) then you'll be ok, if it irritates you, the book will drive you mad.[/color][/size]

8/10

I wondered why you'd used lots of &s in your review as it's not like you. I think they might irritate me a bit. :blush:

Was just having a browse around the forums when I noticed the November reading circle nomination thread you are hosting. Needless to say after reading the posts and some reviews on Amazon I have parted with a few of my pennies to Mr Amazon's digital division and now have 'The Murder of Roger Ackroyd' sitting on my kindle. Will start reading immeidately and hope to join the discussion in November. Why do I do this to myself? :giggle2:

I wondered why you'd used lots of &s in your review as it's not like you. I think they might irritate me a bit. :blush:

You obviously haven't drunk enough wine Janet :D That's why I thought I'd put them in the review .. it gives a small taste of what you're in for if you read the book. It's obviously not for you .. like Tigger and honey ... it's not what Janet likes best :giggle2:

Was just having a browse around the forums when I noticed the November reading circle nomination thread you are hosting. Needless to say after reading the posts and some reviews on Amazon I have parted with a few of my pennies to Mr Amazon's digital division and now have 'The Murder of Roger Ackroyd' sitting on my kindle. Will start reading immeidately and hope to join the discussion in November. Why do I do this to myself? :giggle2:

I am absolutely delighted you're joining us Tunn, it's going to be fun :) Without saying too much (for a change :D) I thought it was great .. hope you do too.

On that note, I'll just add here that I'm happy to lend my copy to anyone who want's to join in but can't find/afford a copy. Just send me a pm if you'd like me to send it to you.

I am absolutely delighted you're joining us Tunn, it's going to be fun :) Without saying too much (for a change :D) I thought it was great .. hope you do too.

On that note, I'll just add here that I'm happy to lend my copy to anyone who want's to join in but can't find/afford a copy. Just send me a pm if you'd like me to send it to you.

Am enjoying it so far! The aforementioned Mr. Ackroyd has just been found murdered so am excited to read on. It already seems that it could be so many people.

I see your reading 'A Visit from the Goon Squad'. I really enjoyed that book this summer, how are you finding it?

Am enjoying it so far! The aforementioned Mr. Ackroyd has just been found murdered so am excited to read on. It already seems that it could be so many people.

:giggle2:Yes, she's good at implicating everyone but .. my lips are sealed :D

I see your reading 'A Visit from the Goon Squad'. I really enjoyed that book this summer, how are you finding it?

I'm enjoying it :) it's quite different and I like the way that, though each chapter is a little short story of it's own, the stories are all linked. I saw another of her books this weekend, I knew it was by her because the cover was similar to this one.

You obviously haven't drunk enough wine Janet :D That's why I thought I'd put them in the review .. it gives a small taste of what you're in for if you read the book. It's obviously not for you .. like Tigger and honey ... it's not what Janet likes best :giggle2:

0014m9ftqx.gif

Aww, I adore Tigger - and the Winnie the Pooh books were some of the favourites of my childhood). My Mum and I are always saying "Tiggers like..." when we come across something we like! :D

Aww, I adore Tigger - and the Winnie the Pooh books were some of the favourites of my childhood). My Mum and I are always saying "Tiggers like..." when we come across something we like! :D

:D I'll never grow out of loving Pooh, Tigger, Piglet and the rest .. just enchanting stories and I love the original Disney adaptations even though they did take liberties but I hate the later ones, they're so far removed from anything Milne wrote :(