Vodkafan's 2011 reading list

vodkafan

The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest by Stieg Larsson

This book is well up to the standard of the first two. It is really a continuation of the events in the second book and finally ties everything up. Salander still has enemies who will stop at nothing to silence her.

Now I have read all three books I can give an overview of the whole trilogy. The first one is the weakest in my opinion, but the central mystery and the introduction to the interesting characters are more than good enough to keep the reader's attention. It deals with a couple of unpleasant themes so this is not a YA book.

The second book is all about Lisbeth Salander and the story is much faster paced and exciting. I found it very interesting that

Salander and Blomkvist spend the whole book apart and only meet again on the last page. Genius!

The third book is different again. It is interesting because of all the government spy stuff and then

Salander's court case

The author's liberal politics and sense of moral justice (which is at odds often with legal and government justice ) comes across strongly in all three books.

I wonder if Larsson imagined himself as Blomkvist. It is indeed a shame that he will never write anything else.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

I devoured this one in a day. My kindle version had nice illustrations which I was not expecting. While the rest of his family are being murdered an infant boy manages to reach the sanctuary of an old graveyard, where he is protected by the dead (and undead) inhabitants as he grows up. The boy never finds out his real name, and the killer is still out there and wants him dead for his own reasons...

I would call this a YA book, not as heavy or adult as American Gods but I must be a big kid because I enjoyed this very much.

Edited by vodkafan

Handling The Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist

First book I have read by this author, I found his writing pleasant and reminded me in style of someone else who I can't remember right off.

(Frank Herbert maybe?)

The precursor to the strange event seemed quite plausible as written and I am glad that Lindqvist never tried to explain it away with some pseudo-science. After all, the main premise of the story is how we as human beings would react if our loved ones came back from the dead. Basically, we don't handle it too well :giggle2:

The story follows only a few individuals so doesn't get too complicated. I enjoyed all the moral dilemmas that got thrown up. Quite soon into the book I became of the opinion that the "reliving" (great word!) should all be disposed of. The dead should stay dead. Not many books give you a central question like that, so it was worth reading just for that.

The author leaves it open at the end to put your own interpretaion on whether we have a soul or not. He didn't really go very far into how they would fit back into society.

I would like to read another book handling these themes. Lots of story material here for somebody. If a dead body is reanimated by some outside agent, does the soul return?

If not, is it dangerous to have such a creature about?

Edited by vodkafan

I hadn't expected to enjoy The Graveyard Book, and just read it for the Reading Circle, but I loved it! It left me really wanting to know the back stories of the Jacks and Silas.

He didn't get any special powers though, he was the same boring bloke both before and afterwards. :D

:lol: I know I shouldn't wish it, but sometimes I think I wouldn't mind being struck by lightning. Not the killing kind, you understand, but just enough to let me experience it. :blush:

Re Handling The Undead : I made the mistake of reading the bit where Mahler was bathing his mouldy undead grandson when I was eating dinner

:giggle2:

:lol: I know I shouldn't wish it, but sometimes I think I wouldn't mind being struck by lightning. Not the killing kind, you understand, but just enough to let me experience it. :blush:

That's shocking Kylie :giggle2:

Handling The Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist

First book I have read by this author, I found his writing pleasant and reminded me in style of someone else who I can't remember right off.

(Frank Herbert maybe?)

The precursor to the strange event seemed quite plausible as written and I am glad that Lindqvist never tried to explain it away with some pseudo-science. After all, the main premise of the story is how we as human beings would react if our loved ones came back from the dead. Basically, we don't handle it too well :giggle2:

The story follows only a few individuals so doesn't get too complicated. I enjoyed all the moral dilemmas that got thrown up. Quite soon into the book I became of the opinion that the "reliving" (great word!) should all be disposed of. The dead should stay dead. Not many books give you a central question like that, so it was worth reading just for that.

The author leaves it open at the end to put your own interpretaion on whether we have a soul or not. He didn't really go very far into how they would fit back into society.

I would like to read another book handling these themes. Lots of story material here for somebody. If a dead body is reanimated by some outside agent, does the soul return?

If not, is it dangerous to have such a creature about?

Great review VF, its definitely a book that gives you a lot to think about, people facing loss and then the person returns (but they are not the same person), its a dilemma and I am also a fan of the word 'reliving' :)

• 3 weeks later...

Ages since I did any reading, been too hyper and rushing about. I finished The Slap last night. Very perplexing book. There was much more to it than just the slapping incident. I believe it was written as a topical social commentary not just a novel.

Now reading Before I Go To Sleep which gripped me from the word Go. Although I checked and it actually started with the word The. :doh:

Now reading Before I Go To Sleep which gripped me from the word Go. Although I checked and it actually started with the word The. :doh:

:lol: :lol: :lol:I wonder if there are any first lines that start with the word Go? I'm racking my brains .... 'It is a truth universally acknowledged' - no .... 'Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley' - no again ... 'It was a bright cold day in April' - damn .... 'It was the best of times' ... gosh I've dug up all the 'it's' ... 'It was love at first sight' .. this is getting scary now :unsure:

Hope it's still gripping you VF :)

:giggle2: Well, I certainly hope the word 'go' didn't appear until page 100 or something...

Ages since I did any reading, been too hyper and rushing about. I finished The Slap last night. Very perplexing book. There was much more to it than just the slapping incident. I believe it was written as a topical social commentary not just a novel.

I've got The Slap on my TBR pile just haven't gotten round to it yet & I've asked for Before I Go to Sleep for my birthday so let me know what you think of it :)

Hi Kidsmum, The Slap was good but I have not figured out exactly what to think about it yet. It had (to me) many levels and meanings.

Before I go to sleep is great so far. I am only half way through but it has not let up it's pace yet. I can't tell you anything about it as I don't want to spoil it for you. It will grab you from the first page I feel sure. Very tightly written but great descriptions of the heroine's feelings. Ever present sense of dread. Unless the plot really goes to pot in the last half I think this might be one of my best reads this year.

Before I go to sleep is great so far. I am only half way through but it has not let up it's pace yet. I can't tell you anything about it as I don't want to spoil it for you. It will grab you from the first page I feel sure. Very tightly written but great descriptions of the heroine's feelings. Ever present sense of dread. Unless the plot really goes to pot in the last half I think this might be one of my best reads this year.

my copy is supposed to arrive tomorrow....I am literally excited :D

That's a perfect description of what I felt while reading Before I Go To Sleep. Glad you are really gripped by it - it is a brilliant read all the way through.

Just finished it. Very good book. I was surprised to read at the back that it was the result of a Novel Writing course. And it is possibly going to be a film.

I have now read 36 books this year. Only 16 books to go to reach my target of 52 before Christmas.

*Gasp* I love Bubba! Interesting review VF, I hope you read the rest of the books, they are fun reads, you might like the Harper Connelly series, also by Charlaine Harris.

Paula, I love Bubba too! He's one of my most favorite characters in the series :friends3:

They sound interesting Paula. I knew a guy who was struck by lightning. It hit his belt buckle when he was on a golf course. He didn't get any special powers though, he was the same boring bloke both before and afterwards.

Well at least he had the special power not to die from it!

Can I make a YA recommendation for your daughter as well? Particularly if you want to get her away from the fantasy side of things for a few day, try Stolen by Lucy Christopher - it is told in the style of a letter from a girl who has been kidnapped to her captor, and it's just a great book. Here's a link to it on amazon if you're interested --> http://www.amazon.co...tt_at_ep_dpt_1. I would say it's for mid-late teens, probably 15 upwards. Nothing graphic, just the based on the storyline of a teenager being kidnapped and the traumatic experience.

This is definitely going on my wishlist :)

Hi Kidsmum, The Slap was good but I have not figured out exactly what to think about it yet. It had (to me) many levels and meanings.

Sounds great VF, think I'll start it straight away :)

Sounds great VF, think I'll start it straight away :)

I feel sure you will enjoy it Kidsmum. And I am glad you seem better as you are reading more again

Hey Kidsmum when are you going to let me buy you lunch ?

Not up to lunch yet VF, I don't have the feeding tube anymore but eating is still difficult, getting most of my calories from milkshakes the hospital gave me but I'm etting better every week so hopefully it wont be too long before I'm back to my old self & then we'll definitely get together for a meet :)

• 2 weeks later...

Not up to lunch yet VF, I don't have the feeding tube anymore but eating is still difficult, getting most of my calories from milkshakes the hospital gave me but I'm etting better every week so hopefully it wont be too long before I'm back to my old self & then we'll definitely get together for a meet :)

Hi Kidsmum sorry missed your reply. The feeding tube must have been 'orrible glad that is history for you. Glad you are eating better. :friends0:

Just finished Citizen Soldiers a history book by Stephen E. Ambrose.

Now reading Stardust on my kindle.

Finished Stardust yesterday while in London. The day before, I had to watch the DVD

again as the the story is so different.

The ending of the story is very gentle, while of course the film version is like pumped

up on steroids - and the skyship section is only a couple of pages in the book whereas they

make a big deal of it in the film, no doubt because of Robert De Niro playing the captain.

I have rearranged everything in my kindle into various collections and started some more

collections in preparation for when SF Gateway opens for business.

• 2 weeks later...