Vodkafan's 2011 reading list

vodkafan

I finally finished Vanity Fair yesterday. I am free! free at last!

Had to laugh at this even though I loved 'Vanity Fair' .. I've had so many similar experiences especially with great big housebrick books, you can end up hating the very sight of them. I don't mind the way Thackeray rattles on but if it's not your cup of tea then it would be pretty irritating.

Celebrate your deliverance .. read something short :D

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all, thanks Ooshie, Frankie and Kylie. I have been having a rest from reading because a lot of other things needed doing. Worked all through the Bank Holidays. Been playing with my Kindle though and have downloaded 40 more books, all sorts. My wife has read the two books I got her for Mother's Day, Room and The Help. She really enjoyed them (Hey, I couldn't go wrong with those)so is now into reading again.

I'm really happy to hear Mrs Vodkafan enjoyed reading Room, she certainly has good taste. And well, of course, since she's with you? ;) I haven't read The Help yet but I'm expecting it to be great.

I'm really happy to hear Mrs Vodkafan enjoyed reading Room, she certainly has good taste. And well, of course, since she's with you? ;) I haven't read The Help yet but I'm expecting it to be great.

The Help is a great book. One I would never have even thought about reading if I wasn't on here.

My shattered nerves are slowly recovering after reading Vanity Fair. Baby steps, slowly does it. I have managed to read 2 books so I am going to try to keep up with my reviews.

Norway 1940 by Francois Kersaudy

This is a history book, but written in a very readable style. Many people in England don't even remember that Norway was invaded before France at the beginning of WWII. I have a bit of an obsession about this time and place in history. From the Allies point of view it was a total mess up, we made lots and lots of mistakes. This book focuses on the political process and the interactions of the French, British, Swedes and Norwegians that led to all the decisions, rather than the battles. There were a few things I didn't know.

My Horizontal Life - a collection of one-night stands by Chelsea Handler

I got this one for free on my kindle, which is good because I would have hated to have paid for it. Chelsea Handler is an American female comedian and this is the (supposed) story of her debauched teens and twenties, sort of like a female Tucker Max. I thought it might be interesting to read this from a female point of view. However after only the first few pages I concluded that it was all made up rubbish. The situations and characters all seemed too contrived. It was a very quick read though so no harm done.

Edited by vodkafan

My shattered nerves are slowly recovering after reading Vanity Fair. Baby steps, slowly does it. .

:lol:

Easy now, vodkafan, and just remember we are always here for you!

My Horizontal Life - a collection of one-night stands by Chelsea Handler

I got this one for free on my kindle, which is good because I would have hated to have paid for it. Chelsea Handler is an American female comedian and this is the (supposed) story of her debauched teens and twenties, sort of like a female Tucker Max. I thought it might be interesting to read this from a female point of view. However after only the first few pages I concluded that it was all made up rubbish. The situations and characters all seemed too contrived. It was a very quick read though so no harm done.

Had you heard of Chelsea Handler before you read the book VF? Writing about your sex life past or present seems a bit of a strange thing to write about , as it was a quick read does that mean she didn't actually have that many one night stands? :wink:

Had you heard of Chelsea Handler before you read the book VF? Writing about your sex life past or present seems a bit of a strange thing to write about , as it was a quick read does that mean she didn't actually have that many one night stands? :wink:

About 6 or 7 episodes are in the book. Some of them don't end up in any sex. It reads more like a stand up comedy routine translated onto the page, but only a couple of them really hit my funny bone, because they seemed made up. No hadn't heard of her before.

Time for another couple of reviews...

Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thomas

Wow what a book! There are some novels that just fly in out of some strange land and take you on a journey. The pace of this book never lets up. The year is 1971. A journalist and his attorney (at least that is what they represent themselves as- you never actually know if that is a figment of their imaginations) get an assignment to go to Vegas. On the strength of this they borrow money to hire a car and fill it with drugs to go find The American Dream. The book is edgy in places and hilarious in others.

This was just the thing to blow the cobwebs out of my brain after Vanity Fair

5/5 for this one

Factoring Humanity by Robert J. Sawyer

This a sci fi novel set in Canada (the author is Canadian). The background is that a stream of alien messages have been received from outer space since 2007 but apart from the first couple, human beings cannot decipher them. The main characters are a woman university researcher who is working on the messages and her estranged husband, who is a quantam physicist trying to build AI (Artificial Intelligence).

The sub plot (which keeps you reading) is the human story of their marriage. I thought early on in the book that I had guessed the plot from the title, and clues in the first two chapters. Actually I was quite wrong and the story went in a different direction.

This was an entertaining story, had a bit of science theory in that did not strain the brain, well written, and I would read more of this author's work.

4.5/5

I'm really glad you enjoyed Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, VF. :)

Have you read anything else by Hunter S Thompson? I've read The Rum Diaries, which isn't as extreme as F&L, but still quite a good read. Filming of a movie adaptation starring Johnny Depp has recently been completed. Johnny Depp is quite the fan of Hunter S Thompson; he has also starred in the movie adaptation of F&L, which is quite good, as I recall.

Hell's Angels is also supposed to be an excellent read and is the next HST I plan on reading. :)

I'm really glad you enjoyed Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, VF. :)

Have you read anything else by Hunter S Thompson? I've read The Rum Diaries, which isn't as extreme as F&L, but still quite a good read. Filming of a movie adaptation starring Johnny Depp has recently been completed. Johnny Depp is quite the fan of Hunter S Thompson; he has also starred in the movie adaptation of F&L, which is quite good, as I recall.

Hell's Angels is also supposed to be an excellent read and is the next HST I plan on reading. :)

No haven't read anything else by him but now I will go hunting on Project Gutenburg and see what I can get for free.

I have seen some of the film of 'Fear and Loathing..', Hunter S Thompson was definitely a one off :)

• 1 month later...

Be back soon. Been having some real big problems and haven't felt like posting.

Hope things are okay for you and get back to normal soon. :friends0:

Be back soon. Been having some real big problems and haven't felt like posting.

Oh dear. :( Take care and look after yourself, VF. I hope things get sorted out for you soon. You know we're here if you need to talk. :friends0:

Time for another couple of reviews...

Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thomas

Wow what a book! There are some novels that just fly in out of some strange land and take you on a journey. The pace of this book never lets up. The year is 1971. A journalist and his attorney (at least that is what they represent themselves as- you never actually know if that is a figment of their imaginations) get an assignment to go to Vegas. On the strength of this they borrow money to hire a car and fill it with drugs to go find The American Dream. The book is edgy in places and hilarious in others.

This was just the thing to blow the cobwebs out of my brain after Vanity Fair

5/5 for this one

I'm glad you enjoyed 'Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas' VF, it leaves quite a impression doesn't it? :)

Thanks Pipread, Ben, Weave and Kylie. I don't think I could feel much worse than I do right now but you never know things could be even worse tomorrow.

Anyway life (and reading) must go on and I have a couple of reviews to write for you...

A Case Of Knives by Candia McWilliam

I don't know where I found this book from. But it was absolutely great, remarkable even as it is a debut novel.

The author uses the plot device of telling the story from the first person viewpoints of 4 main characters each in turn; I have found that I do really enjoy this type of story. Not all the same events though, she does move the story along in time for each character's segment, although sometimes there is a little overlap of events.

The plot is quite simple with only a few extra characters apart from the main protagonists.

The two things that are so good though are firstly: the completely believable characterisations (I have never met anyone like Lucas but I was able to get completely into his world and feel some symapathy for him) and secondly the exquisite writing. The writing really is something else. Almost on every page it seems there is some small beautiful phrase, it is like going on a pleasant walk and finding small diamonds.

Not going to give anything of the plot away but here is a quick look at the main characters:

Lucas is a good man, an eminent heart surgeon who is also a very discrete homosexual.

Hal is the much younger man who Lucas fell in love with 6 years before. However , Lucas has never been able to tell Hal of his affection, it is an agape sort of love which Hal takes full advantage of.

Anne is Lucas oldest friend, who reluctantly agrees to be his co-conspirator.

Cora is the plain mysterious girl who Lucas engineers to become Hal's wife.

Edited by vodkafan

S*d it VF, I now have to add another book to my wishlist/TBR pile. :D Sounds like a really good read, and an excellent review.

MwaHaha (evil laugh)

Edited by vodkafan

Ok retrieved kindle and tonight I finished reading Dreamcatcher by Stephen King. I actually read most of it in June but because I finished it on July 1 I have to put it into my July tally, so hopefully July will be a good month....don't know what to read next.