Ben's Reading 2011

Ben

I know exactly what you mean Ben! Hard to find the right book that does that to me as well!

Not sure what it is, because it's not like I'm not touched by books; on the contrary, if they resonate with me a lot of books can be emotional.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Missed this yesterday..

Day 06 – A book that makes you sad

At first I couldn't think of any books at all that made me sad, but on reflection a couple spring to mind. Firstly, The Kite Runner was one of the first books that really hit me. I'm sure those of you have read it will agree that there's sadness throughout. Another novel that makes me sad, even though I haven't read it in a while, is Noughts and Crosses. Without wanting to ruin it for anyone, the ending of that novel is so tragic, and I was frustrated and somewhat sad that it ended in that way.

In any case, I had a troubled night of sleep last night and didn't sleep a wink before around seven in the morning. This gave me the opportunity to finish The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Záfon. I only started this a couple of days ago, but have flown through what is a fantastically written novel, not pausing for breath on the way.

Full review here if anyone's interested.

The Shadow of the Wind. - Carlos Ruiz Zafón.

Thoughts:

Well, it's safe to say I will have endless thanks to Kylie for plucking this one out of hundreds of choices, otherwise it could have been left unread on my shelves for years; a tragic waste for sure. This novel was fantastic; a wonderfully written plot integrated with brilliant characters that each stood out individually for me. The story is an ambiguous one; unanswered questions lead to sub-plots, which lead to further seemingly endless mysterious that have the readers guessing and wondering throughout. The way Zafón weaves the parallels into the different characters' journeys is clever, and often I found myself surprised at revelations that I was definitely not expecting. The observant readers may guess some twists, but it seems that these turns will not stop right until the very last page, and the fast-paced action will carry you to that destination before you even realise the hours have past. I would recommend this novel to anyone who enjoys a good fast-paced mystery novel that ultimately has you questioning everything, and everyone.

5/5.

Edited by Ben

Day 07 – Most underrated book

I have to say, one of the most underrated books - well series, I'm cheating a little - I've ever had the pleasure of coming across, is Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus series, which are fantastic. The Amulet of Samarkand is the first, if anyone's interested. It's a story about a young magician called Nathaniel and a 5000-year-old djinn called Bartimaeus. They are funny and witty, and are great light-hearted reads to pass away the hours. On reflection, these aren't 'underrated' as such, as those I know who have read them enjoy them immensely. They are more unrecognised than they should be though, so that's the reason I'm having them as the answer to today's question.

Excellent review of The Shadow of the Wind, Ben (and not just because you thanked me ;)). Did you know there is a prequel called The Angel's Game? I haven't read it yet, but I have high hopes that it will be very enjoyable.

Excellent review of The Shadow of the Wind, Ben (and not just because you thanked me ;)). Did you know there is a prequel called The Angel's Game? I haven't read it yet, but I have high hopes that it will be very enjoyable.

I noticed that there was on fantastic fiction, and I want it to read it now. I also have Zafón's The Prince of Mist that I believe, if I'm not mistaken, was mentioned in The Shadow of the Wind as one of Julián's novels. My grandma read it and said she struggled to connect with it, believing that it seemed a little childish and not very well written. I was shocked because this contrasts with the novel I have read, so will be interested to see if this is the case.

Edited by Ben

Day 08 – Most overrated book

Didn't even have to think for a moment when answering this question as without a doubt the Twilight series is one of the most over-rated series', ever. In essence, I believe so many more books deserve the world-wide attention that these novels have gained. There are many more much better novels, in terms of plot and of written quality also. I read these books before they went viral, and although I enjoyed them as light-hearted reads, they were nothing more. Yes, they're easy to pass away a few hours, but the atteniton they have gained is entirely overrated. No disrespect to any Twilight fans but I believe they don't deserve the attention they recieve.

Day 08 – Most overrated book

Didn't even have to think for a moment when answering this question as without a doubt the Twilight series is one of the most over-rated series', ever. In essence, I believe so many more books deserve the world-wide attention that these novels have gained. There are many more much better novels, in terms of plot and of written quality also. I read these books before they went viral, and although I enjoyed them as light-hearted reads, they were nothing more. Yes, they're easy to pass away a few hours, but the atteniton they have gained is entirely overrated. No disrespect to any Twilight fans but I believe they don't deserve the attention they recieve.

Hi Ben, how are you? Great post :) I actually agree with most of what you said about the books but I still think they are a fun read with memorable characters and also they got me through some difficult times because they were a light~hearted read, just what I needed. :)

Edited by Weave

Hi Ben, how are you? Great post :) I actually agree with most of what you said about the books but I still think they are a fun read with memorable characters and also they got me through some difficult times because they were a light~hearted read, just what I needed. :)

Hey Weave, I'm surviving, and yourself? :friends0:

Oh of course, each to their own, and I would never cut across anyone for saying they enjoyed them at all. I admit they are easy, light-hearted reads, which in some cases are just what the doctor has ordered. I think my main issue is just that I haven't become caught up in the frenzy as much as some others have, and although my view that some other books may deserve more recognition could come across as controversial to some, I feel it's justified.

Edited by Ben

I noticed that there was on fantastic fiction, and I want it to read it now. I also have Zafón's The Prince of Mist that I believe, if I'm not mistaken, was mentioned in The Shadow of the Wind as one of Julián's novels. My grandma read it and said she struggled to connect with it, believing that it seemed a little childish and not very well written. I was shocked because this contrasts with the novel I have read, so will be interested to see if this is the case.

I was very disappointed with Zafon's The Angel's Game. Too many unaswered questions at the end. His style of writing throughout is enjoyable but the ending was really disappointing, IMO.

I was very disappointed with Zafon's The Angel's Game. Too many unaswered questions at the end. His style of writing throughout is enjoyable but the ending was really disappointing, IMO.

That's interesting, have you read The Shadow of the Wind? I haven't seen many disappointed with that.

Moved on to my next read, Deal Breaker by Harlan Coben, but haven't had much chance to get started just yet.

Synopsis:

When a woman who everyone, including the police, believes is dead makes a phone call to a young sportsman about to hit the big time, it seems that more than just his career is on the line. Myron Bolitar investigates and is plunged into a baffling mystery of sex and blackmail. Trying to unravel the truth about a family's tragedy, a woman's secret and a man's lies, Myron soon realises that image and talent might make you rich, but the truth can get you killed.

Looks good this one; I read Coben's Caught earlier this year, and definitely enjoyed that, so here's hoping for the same.

Edited by Ben

Hey Weave, I'm surviving, and yourself? :friends0:

Oh of course, each to their own, and I would never cut across anyone for saying they enjoyed them at all. I admit they are easy, light-hearted reads, which in some cases are just what the doctor has ordered. I think my main issue is just that I haven't become caught up in the frenzy as much as some others have, and although my view that some other books may deserve more recognition could come across as controversial to some, I feel it's justified.

You like what you like Ben :)

What you reading at the moment, Weave, anything good?

I'm reading 'Across The Universe' by Beth Revis which Abby recommended to me, its really good so far, I'm enjoying it :)

I'm reading 'Across The Universe' by Beth Revis which Abby recommended to me, its really good so far, I'm enjoying it :)

Good good, might have to check it out.

Day 10 – Favourite classic book

Without a doubt The Picture of Dorian Gray by Mr Oscar Wilde. I read this last year on holiday and fell in love with it instantly. Not only is each sentence wonderfully crafted, poetry to my ears, I enjoyed watching the story develop. I honestly fell in love with Wilde's beautiful writing style, and I hope that soon enough I will get around to reading more of his work. In any case, wasn't a difficult choice for me thus far, even if I do hope to read many more good classics in the future.

Day 10 – Favourite classic book

Without a doubt The Picture of Dorian Gray by Mr Oscar Wilde. I read this last year on holiday and fell in love with it instantly. Not only is each sentence wonderfully crafted, poetry to my ears, I enjoyed watching the story develop. I honestly fell in love with Wilde's beautiful writing style, and I hope that soon enough I will get around to reading more of his work. In any case, wasn't a difficult choice for me thus far, even if I do hope to read many more good classics in the future.

Oh Oscar Wilde was a terrific writer. I'm reading his plays now. So humourous! Give them a try next!

Oh Oscar Wilde was a terrific writer. I'm reading his plays now. So humourous! Give them a try next!

I might just do that Delilah, thanks. :friends3:

Edited by Ben

Finished Deal Breaker by Harlan Coben late last night; always seem to absolutely fly through his novels in a couple of days or less. Anyway, thoughts and review coming up later when I'm a little bit more awake; been up nearly three hours and two cups of coffee haven't been able to wake me up yet.

Review here if anyone's interested.

Deal Breaker. - Harlan Coben.

Thoughts:

Another Harlan Coben novel, and another fun, fast-paced read. After reading and enjoying Caught earlier this year, I thought I would get my hands on another one of his novels, and I haven't been disappointed; when reading Coben, the hours just fly by in enjoyment. This was a typical plot; girl disappeared, presumed dead, multiple suspects, different threads and sub-plots going off on tangents. Characters with their own agendas, keeping secrets from others; the reader doesn't know who to trust. This has everything you could want from a novel like this nice, easy read; a gripping, engaging plot that twists and turns, leaving the reader guessing throughout.

4/5.

Edited by Ben

I did A Woman of No Importance for A Level and I loved it! The person whose turn it was to choose our next Book Club choice picked that and An Ideal Husband.

I did A Woman of No Importance for A Level and I loved it! The person whose turn it was to choose our next Book Club choice picked that and An Ideal Husband.

Ooh I'm jealous you got to do Wilde for A Level, to be honest; I might have to check this one out, thanks.

I decided my next read is going to be The Blasphemer by Nigel Farndale. Not sure if any of you have read this but I spotted it in store a couple of months back now, on the 'bestsellers' list, and apparently it was shortlisted for the 2010 Costa Novel Award.

Synopsis:

He had always been scared of flying. Now, the fear is real. A plane crash. The water is rising over his mouth. In his nostrils. Lungs. As Daniel gasps, he swallows; and punches at his seat-belt. Nancy, the woman he loves, is trapped in her seat. He clambers over her, pushing her face into the headrest. It is a reflex, visceral action made without rational thought... but Daniel Kennedy did it. And already we have judged him from the comfort of our own lives. Almost a hundred years earlier, Daniel's great-grandfather goes over the top at Passchendaele. A shell explodes, and he wakes up alone and lost in the hell of no-man's-land. Where are the others? Has he been left behind? And if he doesn't find his unit, is he a deserter? Love; cowardice; trust; forgiveness. How will any of us behave when we are pushed to extremes?

Anyone read this? I think it sounds quite good, but we'll see.

Edited by Ben