Ben's Reading 2011

Ben

I'm glad you're still buying 'real' books Ben. I:) 've been getting a little alarmed lately because, between here and Goodreads, everybody seems to have acquired an e-reader in the last few months. I'm not against them myself, but I'm starting to despair over the fate of bookshops. I'm glad you're helping to keep them alive. :friends3:

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try and take some reading time for yourself Ben, you know, just to relax :)

Of course I will Paula, thanks. :friends0:

I'm glad you're still buying 'real' books Ben. I:) 've been getting a little alarmed lately because, between here and Goodreads, everybody seems to have acquired an e-reader in the last few months. I'm not against them myself, but I'm starting to despair over the fate of bookshops. I'm glad you're helping to keep them alive. :friends3:

I know the feeling. I mean, I know I won't be buying as many 'real' books now because of lack of space, but I'm sure I'll buy one or two every now and again. (:

I read about 50 pages of Over Sea, Under Stone last night - not a lot but it's more than I've had chance to read lately. I'm really enjoyed it so far, it's picking up pace and getting a bit more interesting; hopefully I'll get some time to tear through and move straight onto the next one.

Reading news; not technically read anything - although I am planning on doing after this post - but purchases count as news right?

The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver, which looks quite interesting

I've got this on my TBR pile so I'd be interested to hear what you think of it if you get round to reading it first :)

Oh don't say that Kylie you made me feel all panicky when I read it, it kind of reminds me of a book I read as a kid called The Guardians where books were a thing of the past as people got all their information on screen so they had become obsolete :(

I've got this on my TBR pile so I'd be interested to hear what you think of it if you get round to reading it first :)

Oh don't say that Kylie you made me feel all panicky when I read it, it kind of reminds me of a book I read as a kid called The Guardians where books were a thing of the past as people got all their information on screen so they had become obsolete :(

I'll be sure to let you know; might get onto it fairly soon as it looked certainly very intriguing. As for that book you used to read, that sort of thing shouldn't be allowed to be published. :lol: I couldn't bear the thought of books becoming obsolete and it all appearing on screens; even if I do like my Kindle, that's not right at all.

Edited by Ben

I don't think bookshops will disappear completely, or at least, not in our lifetimes. There will always be a market for people who want real books (they will probably just be seen to be more eccentric in the future!)

(Real) Books are cool, and I reckon there will always be people who think that. :cool:

Edited by Kylie

I don't think bookshops will disappear completely, or at least, not in our lifetimes. There will always be a market for people who want real books (they will probably just be seen to be more eccentric in the future!)

(Real) Books are cool, and I reckon there will always be people who think that. :cool:

I agree entirely Kylie; I think there will always be people that want to purchase the real thing rather than the digital; I know numerous people that even go as far as to seeing e-readers are 'wrong'. They're set in their ways despite the praises that are sung about them, and they'll always be there to keep bookshops alive.

... what Kylie The Wise said.

You should adopt that username Kylie. :lol:

I agree entirely Kylie; I think there will always be people that want to purchase the real thing rather than the digital; I know numerous people that even go as far as to seeing e-readers are 'wrong'. They're set in their ways despite the praises that are sung about them, and they'll always be there to keep bookshops alive.

You should adopt that username Kylie. :lol:

I'm so glad you both agree with me. I felt a bit out of it when I posted that and was worried that I had just randomly rambled about something that made no sense whatsoever. blush.gif

It's very tempting Ben! I'm getting a lot of awesome nicknames here. :)

I'm so glad you both agree with me. I felt a bit out of it when I posted that and was worried that I had just randomly rambled about something that made no sense whatsoever. blush.gif

It's very tempting Ben! I'm getting a lot of awesome nicknames here. :)

Haha, it made perfect sense for sure. Oooh, first The Australian Mistress of Books now Kylie The Wise. I'm liking it. :lol:

Kylie, while I'm alive, bookshops will survive.

I just can't bring myself to use an e-reader.

Years from now, I'll be the batty old woman wandering the streets with an actual book in her hands that everyone whispers about as she passes. :P

I just can't bring myself to use an e-reader.

Years from now, I'll be the batty old woman wandering the streets with an actual book in her hands that everyone whispers about as she passes. :P

Haha I'm sure you won't be the only one. :lol: There will be still lots of people that can never warm to the idea of an e-reader.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks, so only a few books read throughout January but my excuse is I've been terribly busy with exams. At the minute I feel like I have much more time for reading and hope to get through a fair few novels this year until my time is taken up with study once again. At present I pushed aside Over Sea, Under Stone - I enjoy the book, don't get me wrong, I just think because I was struggling through a few pages whilst my exams were on, it's become a book I've associated with them. Because of this I started something fresh and quite challenging yesterday; Duma Key by Stephen King. I haven't read much King, only Cell, so I'm really looking forward to this one.

Synopsis:

When Edgar Freemantle moves to Duma Key to escape his past, he doesn't expect to find much there. But Duma Key and its mysteries have been waiting for him. The shells beneath his house are whispering to him, and something in the view from his window urges him to discover a talent he never knew he had. Edgar Freemantle begins to paint. Even though he has lost an arm. And the hand he uses is the one he lost..

Sounds intriguing and it's started well; anyone read it or could recommend any other King novels for me to get into? I have a feeling I'll be needing some.

Edited by Ben

I've never read a Stephen King novel .. really, when I think about it I think I must have been living under a rock but then, I've seen a few of the films (or seen bit's of them from behind cushions) and I'm just terrified by that kind of horror.

I'm sure lot's of people here will have some good recommendations though Ben and hope that you're still enjoying 'Duma Key'. I must say the premise sounds intriguing .. how strange!

The only thing more frightening to me than a Stephen King novel would be a world without bookshops :eek: .. I wake up in a cold sweat about that one.

That's quite a strange thing to find; I would have thought with all the novels he has written, that everyone would have read one. I see your point thought, if it isn't the sort of genre your into then I guess you wouldn't bother reading one. Interestingly enough I don't think that Duma Key has been particularly scary or horrific so far; that might change later I guess, though. Yeah, I'm sure a lot of people will have recommendations for Mr King, I'm going to have a browse round the thread later. As for the premise, it is a bizarre one, that's what caught my interest.

I'm with you on the bookshop thing, thankfully it won't happen; at least not in our lifetime. :lol:

Edited by Ben

Sounds intriguing and it's started well; anyone read it or could recommend any other King novels for me to get into? I have a feeling I'll be needing some.

Duma Key was ok for me, but I do prefer King's older stuff. My absolute favorites are The Stand and IT. The first four books of The Dark Tower series are great (especially the fourth one). Unfortunately his more recent work doesn't seem to have that 'magic' that the earlier books did, although Under The Dome was quite good. Oh, Talisman was another one that I'd recommend, if you like books with a fantasy twist - he wrote that with Peter Straub.

But yeah, my first recommendation would be The Stand (though the Kindle edition has some serious formatting issues, so stick with paper if you're going to read that one). :)

Edited by bobblybear

Duma Key was ok for me, but I do prefer King's older stuff. My absolute favorites are The Stand and IT. The first four books of The Dark Tower series are great (especially the fourth one). Unfortunately his more recent work doesn't seem to have that 'magic' that the earlier books did, although Under The Dome was quite good. Oh, Talisman was another one that I'd recommend, if you like books with a fantasy twist - he wrote that with Peter Straub.

But yeah, my first recommendation would be The Stand (though the Kindle edition has some serious formatting issues, so stick with paper if you're going to read that one). :)

Wow, thanks bobblybear, I'll get looking into these for my King reading as soon as possible. I have The Stand, IT and Under The Dome all on my Kindle, so I could read them whenever. I also have The Eyes Of The Dragon, Lisey's Story and Blaze in paper copy. If I can find a decently formatted edition of The Stand I'll probably read that on my Kindle, I haven't checked the one I have but I believe there are different copies anyways. Thanks again for the recommendations.

Okay so eight days into reading this book and I'm still not quite finished. I've admittedly not read as much as I could have, but this is a pretty lengthy read at over 600 pages. Despite this, about three-quarters of the way through, I'm really enjoying it now. Stephen King has a style of writing that I really enjoy and obviously has a natural talent for making the plot fly along. Although it is a long book it doesn't seem like it stretches out too much at all; rather I feel the detail is important for understanding the story. In any case, I'll be back here to give a proper review when I'm done, but it's going well for now.

Duma Key. - Stephen King.

Thoughts:

Well, where on earth do I start with this one? Today I read over two hundred pages of this novel, and that alone is surely a tribute to how much I enjoyed it. It is a lengthy read but in some ways you can't even tell; the pages seem to turn themselves as you read on. I was gripped with humour, tension, mystery and in some cases I even paused for a second to think. Now, I'll be the first to admit that any book that has the power to make a reader pause at the end of a sentence and reflect, is surely a book worth reading. Duma Key is a novel which in essence, questions reality itself: it seems to hint that in reality there is no structure to life, only randomness. Throwing aside the idea of fate, of destiny, we are instead led to believe that life and death are purely the product of unrelated and spontaneous events.This book is both terrifying and beautiful; a book about friendship and about life. I would recommend this novel to anyone who wants to become involved with a journey; a journey which stretches long into the night and the darkness, struggling to find the light.

5/5.

Edited by Ben

I must be going crazy, as I'm about to start The Stand by Stephen King. I've had this recommended many times as one of King's best so it would be a true shame to put it off any longer. I was also tempted to make this a King month and it'll probably take until the end of the month to finish this one. :lol:

Synopsis:

When a man crashes his car into a petrol station, he brings with him the foul corpses of his wife and daughter. He dies and it doesn't take long for the plague which killed him to spread across America and the world.

I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy this one, even if it'll be one of the longest reads of my life.

Edited by Ben

I'm very keen to read The Stand in the next month or two. I wish I could start it now alongside you, but I have too many other books already on the go. Happy reading Ben! I think we're both going to enjoy this one. :)

I'm very keen to read The Stand in the next month or two. I wish I could start it now alongside you, but I have too many other books already on the go. Happy reading Ben! I think we're both going to enjoy this one. :)

It'll probably take me a month or two no doubt, so maybe I'll be still reading when you start. Aha, enjoy Kylie, I think you may be right. (:

I must be going crazy, as I'm about to start The Stand by Stephen King. I was tempted to make this a King month and it'll probably take until the end of the month to finish this one. :lol:

Oh brilliant! Can't wait to hear what you think of it. :)

Oh brilliant! Can't wait to hear what you think of it. :)

Hey thanks, well I'm having trouble starting because I've felt terrible all day, but I'll be on it soon I'm sure.