Ben's Reading 2011

Ben

I would second the recommendation to read the Harper Connelly series

Thanks lopeanha, I'll be sure to check it out.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always avoided the Harper series as the reviews are not great... Might take another look.

Ah wouldn't pay too much attention to reviews my friend, I never do; it's always subjective when it comes to books.

It was more that those who liked the Sookie books were disappointed by them. I may try them one day but for now I really don't need any more books!

Ah, that's interesting. Haha, I know what you're saying there, though, think a lot of us have that feeling on here. :giggle:

Right then folks, doesn't look like I'll be posting on this thread for around nine days or so (unless I can get a wireless on my iPod, or I decide to give it a shot on the poor browser on my Kindle). In any case, I'll listen which books I'm taking tomorrow on my trip to France. It might be too little or too much (depending on how much we do whilst we're there), but I'm also taking my Kindle in addition so limitless books there at my disposal; all bases covered.

Holiday Choices

Dead To The World - Charlaine Harris.

Dead As A Door Nail - Charlaine Harris.

Definitely Dead - Charlaine Harris.

The Slap. - Christos Tsiolkas.

The Interpretation of Murder. - Jed Rubenfeld.

First three are quick reads, but The Slap has a bit more too it. I have a feeling packing another book might be a good idea, though, because I don't think I'll have enough there. Okay, okay.. went for a browse amongst my shelves, and I picked out another to take; that should be enough now. :giggle:

When I get back I'll write the reviews up, as I obviously won't be doing when I'm there. Right, bye thread, hopefully I'll have a fair few things to post when I'm back.

It was more that those who liked the Sookie books were disappointed by them. I may try them one day but for now I really don't need any more books!

The Harper books are nothing like the Sookie books, so if they expected something alike there could have been disappointment, I can understand that. So read the Harper books without Sookie in mind ;)

I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts on The Interpretation of Murder. I had it on my tbr shelf for ages, then it was picked as the book of the month for my face to face reading group, which forced my hand. I enjoyed it a lot and am hoping to pick up the sequel soon.

Right then folks, doesn't look like I'll be posting on this thread for around nine days or so (unless I can get a wireless on my iPod, or I decide to give it a shot on the poor browser on my Kindle). In any case, I'll listen which books I'm taking tomorrow on my trip to France. It might be too little or too much (depending on how much we do whilst we're there), but I'm also taking my Kindle in addition so limitless books there at my disposal; all bases covered.

Holiday Choices

Dead To The World - Charlaine Harris.

Dead As A Door Nail - Charlaine Harris.

Definitely Dead - Charlaine Harris.

The Slap. - Christos Tsiolkas.

The Interpretation of Murder. - Jed Rubenfeld.

Sorry I didn't get to say goodbye, Ben! Great choices for holiday reading, I reckon.

I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts on The Interpretation of Murder. I had it on my tbr shelf for ages, then it was picked as the book of the month for my face to face reading group, which forced my hand. I enjoyed it a lot and am hoping to pick up the sequel soon.

I'm the same. I've had TIoM on my TBR for years and I think I'll only get around to reading it if my hand is forced. :wink:

Big thumbs up for The Interpretation of Murder Ben, ireally enjoyed it. The Sookie books are a good choice for a light holiday read as well but I guess you'll know that by now :)

The Harper books are nothing like the Sookie books, so if they expected something alike there could have been disappointment, I can understand that. So read the Harper books without Sookie in mind ;)

Thanks Lopeanha, I'll be sure to do that; I'm guessing they're hard to compare because they're different.

I'll get around to it soon I'm sure, it does look really good and the blurb really caught my attention in the shop, which is always a good sign.

Sorry I didn't get to say goodbye, Ben! Great choices for holiday reading, I reckon.

I'm the same. I've had TIoM on my TBR for years and I think I'll only get around to reading it if my hand is forced. :wink:

Thanks, it's just a shame I didn't get much chance to read what with everything going on.

As for The Interpretation of Murder if you ever get around to reading it let me know and we could both read it at the same time.

Big thumbs up for The Interpretation of Murder Ben, ireally enjoyed it. The Sookie books are a good choice for a light holiday read as well but I guess you'll know that by now :)

Seems like it's getting a lot of love here, so I'll definitely get around to it sooner rather than later. As for the Sookie books, they certainly are good for light-hearted holiday reading; I guess it's just a shame that my holiday wasn't light-hearted then.

As for actual reading news, I'll put that in a new post, even though there isn't much of it at the minute.

Reading News

Okay, so although I haven't obviously had much chance to get much reading done this week, what with everything going on, I did manage to finish Charlaine Harris' Dead To The World which was my favourite yet. I'll post some thoughts below (might review it a bit later if I'm feeling more up to it).

Thoughts:

Okay, so the fourth book in the Sookie Stackhouse series was my favourite, as impossibly, there seemed to be even more going on than usual. In this book the author really manages to start exploring the possibilities of the 'other' side of the normal, human world. We've seen werewolves, shifters, vampires, so now it's time for the witches to make an appearance. The problem is, they're a bit stronger than that; and when Sookie finds herself closer to Eric than ever before, she becomes embroiled in a battle fraught with danger. This isn't even the least of Sookie's worries; her brother is missing without a trace, panther blood found at his house. Sookie must act like she would have never imagined to deal with all the problems that face her, and now even her loved ones are caught up in the world of the supernatural.

Elsewhere, I'm about 60 pages into The Slap which I'm definitely enjoying so far. The language is not for the faint-hearted, but I can deal with it and the plot seems like it's going to be both an interesting and entertaining one. I'm also about a 100 pages into Dead As A Doornail and I'm hoping to work my way through that one as soon as possible; it seems to be just as enjoyable as the rest of the series so far.

Edited by Ben

Day 16 – Favourite female character

Not sure about favourites, but I have a number of female characters that I like. Starting with the books I'm reading at the moment, Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse has to be up there. She's funny, sweet, telepathic, and you have to feel sympathetic with her when she gets involved in all her different dangerous escapades. Elsewhere, I always had a soft-spot for female characters in Harry Potter. Hermione Granger of course; intelligent, sensible, and always right from the start she was a character I loved. Miss Weasley, also; the mother hen, kind and gentle, always there for Harry, instantly loveable.

Day 17 – Favourite quote from your favourite book

Well, this is certainly a tough one; it's not like The Picture of Dorian Gray doesn't have any good quotable lines. On the contrary it has one or more on every single page. I'm picking out this one though, because it's simply wonderful, and the imagery painted is both lovely and eerie: "The quivering, ardent sunlight showed him the lines of cruelty round the mouth as clearly as if he had been looking into a mirror after he had done some dreadful thing."

Day 18 – A book that disappointed you

Off the top of my head, I'm not quite sure. Thinking back probably Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist as for some reason I just expected more. I also found a little disappointment when I started Perfume by Patrick Suskind, but it's been a while since I opened that book, and I think I may have enjoyed it if I was in a reading mood; which I wasn't at the time.

Day 19 – Favourite book turned into a movie

The Harry Potter books without a shadow of a doubt. I did however, adore The Hobbit and of course that is being made into a film soon. In mentioning The Hobbit I guess I should mention the other Lord of the Rings books. I would include them on this list, but I've never read them, so couldn't possibly say if I would enjoy them or not; even if I did love the films. I know I should get around to reading them, but for some reason I always put them off again.

Missing out favourite romance book for day twenty because I don't read romances.

Day 21 – Favourite book from your childhood

Here we go again with a cliché and predictable answer, but once more it would have to be the Harry Potter books. What can I say? I grew up with them as the first real novels I read; my introduction into a endless world of magic and intrigue. As a young child I didn't have the collection of books I have now, many years later, so my reading was limited. As a result, I used to read these books over and over again; I have lost count how many times I've made it through the series.

Day 22 – Favourite book you own

If this is for favourite as in terms of most enjoyable, then it's The Picture of Dorian Gray as I've already said, but if it's for covers then it's a different question entirely. I adore the covers for the Inkspell series by Cornelia Funke, as I think the art-work is spectacular. Incidentally the books are very good, and I should have included Dustfinger as one of my favourite male characters on day fifteen of the questionnaire thing, as he is absolutely awesome. Mysterious and eerie, he's what makes the books for me; I love his character.

Day 23 – A book you wanted to read for a long time but still haven’t

Oh gee, is 'loads' a good enough answer? I have a long ambition to become more learned in the classics, so most of the 'top hundred' or whatever lists are ones I'd like to get through eventually. Of course, I want to get through all of my Mount TBR. I guess I did kind of mostly answer this question above, though. I have been meaning to read the Lord of the Rings books for as long as I can remember. I tried four times before I managed to get through The Hobbit and in the end adored it, so I should try the others. I'm guessing I've never read it just because it looks daunting, but I'll change that and tackle it one day.

Day 24 – A book that you wish more people would’ve read

Answered something like this earlier in the month. I wish more people would read the Bartimaeus series by Jonathan Stroud. Everyone I know that's read them, find them utterly enjoyable; humorous, witty, and the characters are brilliant.

There we are, caught up on this months questions; anything for a distraction at the minute; I'm off to read now.

Just wrapped up Dead As A Doornail as I'm really trying to just distract myself from everything at the minute; novels will obviously provide the perfect release, and the Sookie Stackhouse books provide a perfect light-hearted release, it seems. Like the last Sookie book, I'll review it at a later date once I'm in a more review-type mood.

Thoughts:

Five down, and this series just gets better and better in my opinion. I don't know how Charlaine Harris does it but with each book in the series she manages to shock and surprise me, and create a tension that I feel quite strongly as I flip the pages. This time Sookie's battling problems on all angles; werewolf politics, a sniper lurking with intent, but most of all her own emotional problems that seem to get more tied up and complicated with each book. In contrast, her own brother is thought guilty by his own new people; but when Sookie becomes even more involved with the shootings, she realises someone else is gunning for her, and the shifters she associates with. Once more, Sookie faces countless problems, and will have to conquer new territory to save her own life and some of those around her. The question as always, is who can she trust.

About to start the sixth book in the Sookie Stackhouse series, and I'm looking forward to Definitely Dead like usual with these books.

Synopsis:

Sookie Stackhouse doesn't have that many relations, so she really hated to lose one - but of all the people to go, she didn't expect it to be her cousin Hadley, a consort of New Orleans' vampire queen - after all, Hadley was technically already dead. But Hadley is gone, beyond recall, and she's left Sookie an inheritance, one that comes with a bit of a risk - not least because someone doesn't want Sookie digging too deep into Hadley's possessions... or her past. Sookie's life is once again on the line, and this time the suspects range from the rogue weres to her first love, the vampire Bill. Sookie's got a lot to do if she's going to keep herself alive.

Interesting plot to this one it seems; I'm sure it'll be as enjoyable as the others.

Edited by Ben

Nothing like making myself feel better with the 'buy one, get one for a £1' deal at WH Smiths.

Purchases

The Leopard. - Jo Nesbo.

Afterwards. - Rosamund Lupton.

Help

In other news, I'm reading Definitely Dead by Charlaine Harris and I don't know if it's me, but there seems to be gaps with this plot-line, like there should be another in-between. I'm either reading them too quickly, or have a bad memory, or I haven't even heard of Hadley before. The book refers to how she died and Sookie dealing with the punishment of the vampire responsible, but it seems like we're being filled in with the gaps and should already know what happened. Am I missing something here? As far as I'm aware I've read these books in order.

Alas, I just explored Wikipedia to see if I could get some answers, and it seems there's a short story called One Word Answer that proceeds the Definitely Dead novel that I wasn't aware of; makes much more sense now.

Edited by Ben

Just finished Definitely Dead by Charlaine Harris, the sixth in the series; thoughts below, and probably a review coming soon, as I intend to try catch up with them soon.

Thoughts:

In all honesty, the sixth book in the Sookie Stackhouse series, didn't quite grab my attention as much as some of the earlier books have done, although I may have figured out the reason for this being the case. I was, up until I was over halfway through the book, unaware that there was a short story that proceeded this novel, which offered an explanation to the back-story of what Definitely Dead is to be about: Sookie's vampire cousin Hadley, and her mysterious dealings with the vampire queen. Because I was confused by this initially, I found it hard to grasp the plot-line, feeling the gaps in my mind made it a confusing read. It did, however, get better, as the story races forward. Sookie is once more caught up in things she has no control over, this time the mysterious goings on of vampire politics. Whilst Sookie figures out what her cousin was really up to, the past danger stalks her every move once more. In essence, the sixth instalment in this series does offer the fans everything they could expect: action, danger, confusion and a deadly betrayal.

Edited by Ben

The Sookie books do have some continuity errors as you go through them, and I didn't find them as absorbing the longer the series went on. For that reason I really don't see the TV series going as far as the books. Saying that I'll keep buying them as I love the whole concept of the series -particularly Eric;-)

I enjoyed Afterwards, a very gentle read which I found a bit tough, as a mother, to read.

The Sookie books do have some continuity errors as you go through them, and I didn't find them as absorbing the longer the series went on. For that reason I really don't see the TV series going as far as the books. Saying that I'll keep buying them as I love the whole concept of the series -particularly Eric;-)

I just, struggled a little more with this one; which was a shock because normally I breeze through them and they're impossible to put down. I still found it enjoyable though, and it's far from put me off the rest of the series. Ah yes, Eric, not as much a big selling point for me as some others would find him, you can imagine. :giggle:

I enjoyed Afterwards, a very gentle read which I found a bit tough, as a mother, to read.

Picked this one up on a hunch, read the blurb, thought it sounded interesting; good to hear you enjoyed it even if it was a bit tough.

Edited by Ben

I just, struggled a little more with this one; which was a shock because normally I breeze through them and they're impossible to put down. I still found it enjoyable though, and it's far from put me off the rest of the series. Ah yes, Eric, not as much a big selling point for me as some others would find him, you can imagine. :giggle:

Yes, can imagine Eric not your thing, you'' just have to take my word for it! :giggle:

Picked this one up on a hunch, read the blurb, thought it sounded interesting; good to hear you enjoyed it even if it was a bit tough.

It was good, she really does have a knack for making you feel part of the story.

It was good, she really does have a knack for making you feel part of the story.

In which case I look forward too it; I'll let you know how I get on when I get around to reading it.

Edited by Ben

Try A Touch of Dead, it's a collection of all the Sookie short stories that were published in various anthologies.

I still have it on my TBR pile, as I want to read it when re-reading the whole series, so I can't tell you anything more about it. :blush:

Yep, I noticed that was where the One Word Answer story was. I don't want to look too closely and ruin anything for myself in the series, but I think that's the only one that provides a major plot for one of the actual novels. I mean, I noticed there was one introducing Claude and his sister, but I never noticed that distract from when they were introduced in the actual novels. I think A Touch of Dead might be one to come back to when I've finished the series.

Despite the busy few days I've managed to get through Altogether Dead and now I only have one book left on my shelves from this series. I only initially bought the first eight a couple of years ago, so will have to get the rest soon. For the moment though, I'm going to leave From Dead To Worse and save it for some other time. Anyway, I managed to pick up a couple of books for my birthday; even though they're not fiction, it's two books that look fascinating, which I'll enjoy, and which will be very useful for me in the future.

Presents

The Literature Student's Survival Kit. - Ian Littlewood.

The Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms. - Chris Baldick.

Of course I also received my iPad for Christmas and it looks really good to read on. I've got an Amazon Kindle but I've downloaded A Game Of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. Obviously this was recently made into a new series on HBO and I've not only heard great things about the television series (which I intend to watch), but the book which it was based on. It looks pretty good so I'm going to give it a shot.

Synopsis:

Summers span decades. Winter can last a lifetime. And the struggle for the Iron Throne has begun. It will stretch from the south, where heat breeds plot, lusts and intrigues; to the vast and savage eastern lands; all the way to the frozen north, where an 800-foot wall of ice protects the kingdom from the dark forces that lie beyond. Kings and queens, knights and renegades, liars, lords and honest men! all will play the Game of Thrones. Winter is coming!

Will get back to you all with my thoughts on this and reading on an iPad.

Edited by Ben

Also going to took into The Interpretation of Murder by Jed Rubenfeld that has earned some glowing recommendations from you lovely people.

Synopsis:

On the morning after Sigmund Freud arrives in New York on his first - and only - visit to the United States, a stunning débutante is found bound and strangled in her penthouse apartment, high above Broadway. The following night, another beautiful heiress Nora Acton, is discovered and tied to a chandelier in her parents' home, viciously wounded and unable to speak or recall her ordeal. Soon Freud and his American disciple, Stratham Younger, are enlisted to help Miss Acton recover her memory, and to piece together the killer's identity. It is a riddle that will test their skills to the limit, and lead them on a thrilling journey - into the darkest places of the city, and of the human mind.

Looks fantastic this, will read it alongside A Game Of Thrones which I'm reading on my iPad of course.

Edited by Ben