Ben's Reading 2011

Ben

As for the novels I've completed, I've read Defoe's Moll Flanders and Robinson Crusoe both of which I didn't really enjoy. I'm not sure if it's because of the long-windedness of the two tales, or if it's just not for me, but either way I struggled with both texts.

I totally agree Ben - I found both books (especially Moll Flanders) to be very wooden. I only work with primary age children for English, but we talk about the main elements of a story being setting, character and plot, and that the great danger of writing stories is to make it all plot (something they all do!). That's Defoe's problem too - it's just a list of one event after the other, with no depth. I'm mystified as to how or why these are regarded as great books. Maybe because they were early in the development of the novel? Again, though, it may just be me, as I've tried a bit of 18thC literature, and none of it has really worked for me, although as soon as we hit the 19C (as early as Jane Austen), it's a different story.

I've also read...Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett which wasn't 'enjoyable' as such, but the background and idea behind it was utterly fascinating.
I'd be interested if you could provide any suggestion for reading about this, as I'm due to see Godot in the New Year in Leeds, and have always been a bit mystifed by it. Or perhaps outline more about background and idea? I've not much clue!

Probably one of my favourite texts of the course so far was Richardson's Pamela which although is an 18th century text and therefore hard to get your teeth into (at least for a lot of people including me most times, these 'old-y' kind of texts are), held me interested throughout. I was fascinated by how the central protagonist doesn't conform to what is expected of her, and all around it was just an enjoyable read.
Could this be one to break my duck on 18C literature? Given previous experience, the length has always been the final straw on starting this for me.

All in all, though, I can see why you wanted the light relief of Haroun. The rest looks generally great material, but pretty unremitting otherwise!

Edited by willoyd

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry about my slow response, I missed this entirely!

I totally agree Ben - I found both books (especially Moll Flanders) to be very wooden. I only work with primary age children for English, but we talk about the main elements of a story being setting, character and plot, and that the great danger of writing stories is to make it all plot (something they all do!). That's Defoe's problem too - it's just a list of one event after the other, with no depth. I'm mystified as to how or why these are regarded as great books. Maybe because they were early in the development of the novel? Again, though, it may just be me, as I've tried a bit of 18thC literature, and none of it has really worked for me, although as soon as we hit the 19C (as early as Jane Austen), it's a different story.

I'm entirely with you on this, and can only think it must just be considered great because it was one of the first novels. I find his work terribly long-winded, but that isn't the problem. I've read books that are long before, as have we all, that I have managed to enjoy, so it's not the length, rather that his stories always seem devoid of any real plot. It could, however, just be me too, and I'm sure there are a lot of people that do enjoy Defoe's work after all.

I'd be interested if you could provide any suggestion for reading about this, as I'm due to see Godot in the New Year in Leeds, and have always been a bit mystifed by it. Or perhaps outline more about background and idea? I've not much clue!

I'm not sure how good of an explanation this will be, but the main interpretation I chose to take from it, is the philosophical one; although it has been interpreted in a Freudian manner, and politically, as well as in other ways. In fact, Beckett himself said that its success as a play is because of the numerous different interpretations. Anyway, I related directly to the the idea of existentialism, which focuses on the fact that to live our lives and understand ourselves properly there are certain fundamental questions, like the meaning of human existence, that we should consider. Most humans spent their lives doing trivial acts, always 'waiting' like the characters in the play, whereas we should be bettering ourselves and thriving for intellectual development.

Could this be one to break my duck on 18C literature? Given previous experience, the length has always been the final straw on starting this for me.

All in all, though, I can see why you wanted the light relief of Haroun. The rest looks generally great material, but pretty unremitting otherwise!

I'd be loathe to suggest that it could be as I know some people that struggled with it, and it could just be my personal preference which made me enjoy it!

You're quite right though, Haroun really was a light-hearted relief-read, one of my favourite books this year as it happens.

Edited by Ben

Well as we go into the final month of reading for the year, I thought it was time for another update (cue groans).

Okay so it seems I'm getting snowed-under (although it's a bit early in the month for the literal sense of the phrase), by the reading pace at the moment for university. I finished Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter which started well, but in my opinion laboured a little as it went through. I adore her style of writing; some of the metaphors she uses are simply wonderful. However, I think the story was just difficult to sustain for me. Even though the idea is to suspend disbelief while she blends the boundaries between truth and lies, magic and realism, I struggled slightly to stay engaged. Nevertheless, far from the worst book I've read so far on the course, and it's definitely worth a read. It may even be the case that I struggled with the middle-to-end of the novel because of other distractions, and that might not be the case for other readers.

As for what I have on the go, I have a number of books that I'm making my way through. I started reading The Fry Chronicles a couple of days ago because I thought I had a bit of spare time for recreational reading (instead of university-required books, oh how I was wrong), but alas it is that good, that I've hardly been able to put it down. Fry once again, like he did in Moab is my Washpot, manages to capture and entertain the readers, with his both hilarious and fascinating anecdotes of his time through university. I've found myself laughing aloud on more than one occasion, and his enjoyment of words and of alliteration is pleasing and plain to see. As a result I've been neglecting some of what I have to read for university. I've made a start on Tom Jones by Henry Fielding which is rather long and daunting, and I also have Turn of the Screw by Henry James to get through, which is less so.

It's not often I juggle a few texts on the go, but if I stick at it I'll manage. I hope everyone else has a good reading month to end this year. :friends0:

Edited by Ben

Well there we have it, I simply couldn't stay away from The Fry Chronicles and I've just finished it. The book is in excess of 400 pages, and yet it's only taken me a couple of days to read, even with everything else I have to do at the minute. This is tribute to Stephen Fry's writing style, which is just fantastic. He says himself early on that if something can be said in one word, you can be guaranteed he'll say it in ten. You would think this could be frustrating, but it is far from from it; his love for words is evident, and his poetic prose has you flicking the pages quickly through his narrative. Picking up from where Moab Is My Washpot finished, this book describes Fry's period at Cambridge, up until his thirtieth birthday. The book is filled with hilarious anecdotes and fascinating tales of the company that Fry surrounded himself with. As with its predecessor, The Fry Chronicles offers an intriguing insight into the real inner-workings of the author's mind; it is quite a shock to hear him describe how he feels in life, not how he is perceived by others. All in all then, a fantastically witty and wonderful read, both engaging and entertaining. I would recommend to all.

5/5.

Edited by Ben

Well there we have it, I simply couldn't stay away from The Fry Chronicles and I've just finished it. The book is in excess of 400 pages, and yet it's only taken me a couple of days to read, even with everything else I have to do at the minute. This is tribute to Stephen Fry's writing style, which is just fantastic. He says himself early on that if something can be said in one word, you can be guaranteed he'll say it in ten. You would think this could be frustrating, but it is far from from it; his love for words is evident, and his poetic prose has you flicking the pages quickly through his narrative. Picking up from where Moab Is My Washpot finished, this book describes Fry's period at Cambridge, up until his thirtieth birthday. The book is filled with hilarious anecdotes and fascinating tales of the company that Fry surrounded himself with. As with its predecessor, The Fry Chronicles offers an intriguing insight into the real inner-workings of the author's mind; it is quite a shock to hear him describe how he feels in life, not how he is perceived by others. All in all then, a fantastically witty and wonderful read, both engaging and entertaining. I would recommend to all.

5/5.

Having read Moab is my Washpot, I'm fully aware of Stephen Fry's infatuation for language and literature. I've got so much reading to do for university I've put The Fry Chronicles aside for such a prolonged period I decided to get the audiobook and listen to it in bed. However, it is impossible. No matter how soothing Fry's voice is - the language is being wasted by me not reading it. I can't feel the full effect of the book if someone is simply reading it to me as I can't engage fully with the text.

I'll probably read this over Christmas. A nice review, as always, Ben.

Having read Moab is my Washpot, I'm fully aware of Stephen Fry's infatuation for language and literature. I've got so much reading to do for university I've put The Fry Chronicles aside for such a prolonged period I decided to get the audiobook and listen to it in bed. However, it is impossible. No matter how soothing Fry's voice is - the language is being wasted by me not reading it. I can't feel the full effect of the book if someone is simply reading it to me as I can't engage fully with the text.

I'll probably read this over Christmas. A nice review, as always, Ben.

Cheers. I put this off for a long time due to university reading too, but I'm please I finally got around to it. Stephen Fry is wonderful as always. I must agree though. I got the audiobook as well and although I adore his voice, you're right: it doesn't have the same effect as reading the text. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on The Fry Chronicles when you get around to it mate; I would probably go as far as to say it is better than Moab is my Washpot, and having enjoyed that I'm confident in saying you'll enjoy this too.

Edited by Ben

Incidentally I have just started another of Fry's books: The Ode Less Travelled. This isn't fiction as such, rather a guide towards 'unlocking the poet within.' I've actually avoided it and put it aside many times, but now I regret not picking it up earlier. It is an absolute god-send for helping me with my poetry course, as Fry breaks down the technicalities of poetry so well without ever over-complicating it. I've found myself a little out of depth with some of the terminology, but a quick glance back through what I've read helps me there; as does, of course, Fry's knack for explaining things. I've only read the first fifty pages or so, but the handy 'poetry exercises' he has the reader doing are brilliant in helping you come to grips with what he's talking about.

Interestingly, I notice the book was included on my 'possible secondary reading' list for university, so it's obviously fully endorsed to help with the course.

Edited by Ben

I'm glad you're reading this one Ben, as I've been dying to ask someone about it. I don't "get" poetry. I don't understand the technical structure, rhythms or styles of poetry, and I bought this book a couple of years ago wondering whether it would help me appreciate poems by breaking down how to write them, so that I could understand the construction of them to be able to understand how to read them. Do you think it will help? It's on my shelf and I've never tried starting it, but perhaps if you think it will help, I might make a start on it soon!

I'm glad you're reading this one Ben, as I've been dying to ask someone about it. I don't "get" poetry. I don't understand the technical structure, rhythms or styles of poetry, and I bought this book a couple of years ago wondering whether it would help me appreciate poems by breaking down how to write them, so that I could understand the construction of them to be able to understand how to read them. Do you think it will help? It's on my shelf and I've never tried starting it, but perhaps if you think it will help, I might make a start on it soon!

Ah I'm really not sure about whether it would help you or not. I mean, I never really 'got' poetry either, and if it wasn't for the fact that I'm determined to have a better knowledge of it for the course and the exam, I may have already given up trying to learn about it. I think it all depends on how much you're interested in learning the technicalities, because there's certainly a lot to wrap your head around when it comes to learning about trochees, iambs, tetrameter, etcetera. It's certainly helped me appreciate poetry more I believe, but whether or not I'd persevere with learning the intricacies of prosody if I didn't have to, I really can't say.

Edited by Ben

"The Ode Less Travelled."

Hehehehehehe.

Oh Stephen.

:giggle:

I.. am I missing something here? sad.gif

Edited by Ben

The title? Ode Less Travelled? It's a pun? Ode, as in, a type of poetry, and 'Ode Less Travelled' as in the 'Road Less Travelled' by Robert Frost? I was lolling at Fry's wittiness.

Ah I would have never connected the Frost poem as I've never read it. Typical Fry, clever bugger.

Edited by Ben

Finished Brisingr by Christopher Paolini last night. I've asked for Inheritance (the final book in the series), for Christmas, so wanted to get this finished this month.

Thoughts:

Now for some people, Paolini's books have got progressively worse throughout the series, but for me, although it has been admittedly a while since I read the first book Eragon, they have got better, and I enjoyed the third instalment immensely. The author's writing has matured since the first novel, and I'm glad he decided to add another book to the series, as it really allowed for character development through Brisingr. As usual, the action is plentiful, and there were a few clever twists and turns that when revealed, I was surprised I didn't see coming. In this third book then, Eragon finds himself struggling to adhere to all the promises he has made to the different races of the land. As a result, much of the book is taken up with Eragon travelling across the lands to fulfil his obligations, and this allows for us to gain much more of an insight to what he his thinking; ultimately Paolini is showing how his central protagonist has matured as a character. In essence, then, this was a really enjoyable read, as Eragon gears up for his final battle with Galbatorix. I'm now looking forward to seeing how Paolini wraps this series up in Inheritance.

5/5.

Edited by Ben

Started Tripwire by Lee Child last night, which is the third Jack Reacher book - a bit of light-hearted reading now I can enjoy some recreational reading for a change.

Synopsis:

For Jack Reacher being invisible has become a habit. He spends his days digging swimming pools by hand and his nights as the bouncer in the local strip club in the Florida Keys. He doesn't want to be found. But someone has sent a private detective to seek him out. Then Reacher finds the guy beaten to death with his fingertips sliced off. It's time to head north and work out who is trying to find him and why.

These are always good reads, so can't wait to get cracking with it.

Edited by Ben

Finished Tripwire last night and it looks like I spent longer on it than planned; good read nevertheless.

Thoughts:

The one thing I love about Lee Child's books is how quickly they fly by; packed with intense action I'm often loathe to put down the book at all because I know something exciting is going to happen just around the corner. This is my favourite Jack Reacher novel so far (although I've only read three), as we find out more about Reacher's character, and he finally faces up to some responsibilities, in Tripwire. We learn more about his personality and his thought processes, as him and the wonderful Jodie Garber race to find out the truth about an old couple's son, believed dead in a helicopter crash. Someone wants to remain hidden, though, and they'll stop at nothing to make sure they achieve their goals. Reacher and Jodie are in a lot of trouble, and it's a race against time to see if they'll make it out alive. Overall a fantastic, fast-paced read, that had me hooked throughout.

5/5.

Edited by Ben

Starting An Atheist's Guide to Christmas as it was just jumping out to me from my shelves, and it seemed an apt time to read it.

Synopsis:

If you're an atheist, you don't believe in the three wise men - so this Christmas, we bring you not three but 42 wise men and women, bearing gifts of comedy, science, philosophy, arts, storytelling and knowledge. Was there really a Christmas star? What does it feel like to be born on Christmas Day? And where can you listen to the echoes of the big bang on December 25th? The answers to these questions and more can be found in The Atheist's Guide to Christmas.

So, this looks rather fascinating; there's contributions from people like Derren Brown and Ed Byrne, so it's bound to be both fascinating and hilarious.

Edited by Ben

Started A Room with a View by E.M. Forster; looking forward to it as I know it's been highly recommended by people on here, particularly Claire.

Synopsis:

Forster's brilliant social commentary is a witty observation of the English middle classes as they holiday abroad in Florence. One of these tourists is Lucy Honeychurch, a young girl whose 'undeveloped heart' is awakened by her experiences in Italy and by her encounter with the unconventional George Emerson. Lucy finds herself torn between un-English passion and stifling Victorian propriety, personified in her pretentious fiancé Cecil Vyse and her dismal cousin Charlotte, until she learns to follow the power of her own heart.

Really looking forward to this one.

Edited by Ben

Just spent the last four hours or so making a to-be-read list. I started from scratch so as to make sure I got them all, and I've ended with a total of 215 (I'll have to check that I included all the books in Leeds but I think I did). This is more than I expected it to be, and damn it'll take some serious reading to claw my way back to a decent total that's for sure. In any case, I've been planning my 2012 book log with my new, snazzy TBR list, challenges, wishlist, and I'm now quite excited for what next year will bring.

Anyway, forget next year, I've still got A Room with a View to finish this year, and it's absolutely fantastic. Off I pop.

Just spent the last four hours or so making a to-be-read list. I started from scratch so as to make sure I got them all, and I've ended with a total of 215 (I'll have to check that I included all the books in Leeds but I think I did). This is more than I expected it to be, and damn it'll take some serious reading to claw my way back to a decent total that's for sure. In any case, I've been planning my 2012 book log with my new, snazzy TBR list, challenges, wishlist, and I'm now quite excited for what next year will bring.

Ha ha I was was doing my TBR list last night, but I got rid of a lot, and starting again, cos I couldn't remember why I put them there in the first place, so having a clean slate for 2012

Ha ha I was was doing my TBR list last night, but I got rid of a lot, and starting again, cos I couldn't remember why I put them there in the first place, so having a clean slate for 2012

Well I was just trying to include everything I own on my shelves, even if it doesn't seem likely I'll read some of them in the near future. Big mistake. :giggle:

Edited by Ben

Good Christmas haul on the book-front this year, was very pleased. In addition to vouchers for Waterstones and Amazon, I received:

Inheritance - Christopher Paolini.

11.22.63 - Stephen King.

The Official Manchester United Book of Facts and Figures - Ian Marshall.

Doctor Who: Touched By An Angel - Jonathan Morris.

Doctor Who: Borrowed Time - Naomi A. Alderman.

All of which I'm looking forward too, and will now act as late editions to 2012's starting TBR list.

Current reading status as we come to the end of the year is that I actually have three books on the go - something that's usually rare for me. I'm still reading An Atheist's Guide To Christmas which I'm quite honestly just flicking through at the moment. I'm also reading A Room With A View which I wanted to get finished before the new year. However, I received Inheritance by Christopher Paolini for Christmas and I've been waiting to read this for what seems like an age.

Synopsis:

It began with Eragon . . .

It ends with Inheritance.

Not so very long ago, Eragon - Shadeslayer, Dragon Rider - was nothing more than a poor farm boy, and his dragon Saphira, only a blue stone in the forest. Now, the fate of an entire civilisation rests on their shoulders. Long months of training and battle have brought victories and hope, but they have also brought heartbreaking loss. And still, the real battle lies ahead: they must confront Galbatorix. When they do, they will to be strong enough to defeat him. And if they cannot, no one can. There will be no second chance. The rider and his dragon have come father than anyone dared to imagine. But can they topple the evil king and restore justice to Alagaesia? And if so, at what cost?

I'm getting started on this one right away, really interested to see how exactly Paolini brings the series to a close.

Well, I must say that even though I'm a mere hundred pages into Inheritance at the moment, I do have a feeling it may be my favourite book of the series. Christopher Paolini is building the story nicely with great character development that I'm sure he wouldn't have been able to focus on if he hadn't split the series from three books to four. I'm really looking forward to see how the final confrontation with Galbatorix, so looks like I better get cracking with it.

Got some pretty interesting news this evening. Earlier in the year I read The Rembrandt Secret by Alex Connor, and sent her my review on the off-chance she'd give it a read. We exchanged emails a few times about various things (mostly my interest in writing myself), and she said she enjoyed my review. Now about half an hour ago she emailed me about her new book Legacy of Blood which comes out January 12th, and which I'll be receiving an early review copy of, to review for BCF.

I was delighted to hear she remembered the last one and asked me to review it, and I had nosey on her website to see what it was about. Interestingly, I found that she had included my review from the BCF on her blog page under 'media reviews', which I thought was rather cool. It's here, anyway, if anyone's interested: http://alexconnorthrillers.com/therembrandtsecret/reviews.html