Frankie Reads 2011

frankie

Hi Frankie, I hope you don't mind but I'm planning on pinching your 30 Days Of Books idea. :D I was reading through and found myself answering some immediately and others I am still pondering, so thought I would give it a go. :smile2:

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yay for finding APVoH! And how awesome is Alan, AGAIN. Where did he graduate, the Skillful College of Book Finders? It seems too much of a coincidence to me, it must be his bookish powers. It would be chilling if it wasn't such a nice power to have!]

Don't worry poppyshake, I'd rather have a man who knows which books I'll like, than one who knows how to dress me.

True, very true .. and I suppose I do rattle on about books so he's bound to pick up some key words every now and then but then he finds books I haven't even mentioned which is bordering on psychic .. if only he could 'know' what I want for my tea tomorrow night, and every subsequent night .. shop for it and cook it .. I could use the time to read more books :wink:

Maybe your OH knows best and you'd look smashing, but you just don't know it! ;)

hmmm, then my mirror is lying to me :D

I hope your 'date' went well Frankie, it's so exciting. Did she like all the books you like?, did she have good recommendations? .. you didn't have to tell her any of her book choices were crap did you ? :giggle2:

If she mentioned any of these words = Good ... Fforde, Safran Foer, Eggers, Ishiguro, Shaffer, Gaiman, Rhodes, Lee, Austen, Wilde

If she mentioned any of these words = Bad ... Gustave or Flaubert :lol:

True, very true .. and I suppose I do rattle on about books so he's bound to pick up some key words every now and then but then he finds books I haven't even mentioned which is bordering on psychic .. if only he could 'know' what I want for my tea tomorrow night, and every subsequent night .. shop for it and cook it .. I could use the time to read more books :wink:

Oh you Brits and your precious tea :giggle2: Well alright I suppose in this context you meant tea + snacks (?) by 'tea'. But initially I thought just regular tea and I was like, oh I'd just boil the water with my electric water boiler and add tea and milk and sugar and be done with it :giggle: Anyhow, we can't be perfect. Not even Alan! :lol:

[/color][/font]hmmm, then my mirror is lying to me [/color][/font]:D

Do you have glasses? If so, maybe you need a new prescription. And if you don't, maybe it's time to make an appoitment :lol:

I hope your 'date' went well Frankie, it's so exciting. Did she like all the books you like?, did she have good recommendations? .. you didn't have to tell her any of her book choices were crap did you ? :giggle2:

If she mentioned any of these words = Good ... Fforde, Safran Foer, Eggers, Ishiguro, Shaffer, Gaiman, Rhodes, Lee, Austen, Wilde

The date went surprisingly well. I had a bottle of cider beforehand, just to calm me down a bit, I was getting nervous. She ran late so I also had time to have another one at the bar where we met. It loosened my tongue but I wasn't too tipsy to be incoherent. Initially we talked a little bit about ourselves because we've only exchanged a few e-mails and we didn't know anything about each other. Then we also commented on the world championship ice hockey game that was on, thank god Finland won! Then we moved on to books.

I'd taken To Kill a Mockingbird, A Confederacy of Dunces, The Kabul Beauty School and A Friend Like Henry, to see if she wants any of them, she could have them because I would've otherwise taken them to the library's free book exchange trolley anyways. She already owned a copy of TKaM so she didn't take that one (she hasn't read it yet), but she did take the others. When I was at the loo she read the first couple of pages of ACoD and liked the sound of it and was intrigued. She also liked the idea of TKBS and AFLH, the latter one coincidentally having to do with her field of work in some ways. So I was happy! In exchange, she brought along her copy of Siri Hustvedt's novel (can't remember the title) as a recommendation, and I happen to have a copy of that so good. She felt so bad about taking all those books off me (eventhough I told her multiple times I'd give them away anyways so it was a matter of her having them or some other person having them) that she gave me a copy of this Finnish novel she wanted to recommend me, she said she also has a hardback copy of it so I could have the paperback she'd brought along.

To my surprise there were actually very few titles that we'd both read, them being books that we've read during our childhood (L. M. Montgomery's Ann and Emily -series). Her recommendations were mostly books that I'd heard of, and some of them I already owned and some of them I've been interested in. She's also read far more Finnish novels so it was great getting recommendations on that too. The books I recommended seemed interesting to her. So I think we do have a pretty similar kind of interest in books, but we've just managed to read all the different books. Well one book we had in common was the Harry Potter series.

I particularly recommended The Shadow of the Wind to her, and she said that it's so funny I should mention the book because her OH has just read it (and he doesn't usually read that kind of literature) and wholeheartedly recommended it. She'd read the first couple of pages but hadn't gotten into the story though. It'll be interesting to see if she'll give it a go.

So over all it was definitely all good. We both agreed that we'd had fun and that we'd meet again and talk more books. We were there for 2 hours and there were no awkward silences or anything, there was so much to talk about :)

Ah, I was answering your first two questions and then started babbling and forgot reply to your other questions :lol: No, none of her choices were crap. I think she's a very sophisticated reader but not in a boring way.

She did mention Ishiguro, she'd started reading Never Let Me Go. I, of course, recommended A Pale View of Hills. :cool: None of the others were mentioned. Not the good ones, or the bad ones! So I'm happy :)

The ones she recommended and I wrote down are: Siri Hustvedt, Thousand Splendid Suns. She also likes Ian McEwan and Anne Tyler. The rest of the recommendations were Finnish novels.

I'm glad to hear it's nothing like Wicked, because personally I had real problems with it. I'd actually forgotten all the other stuff The Book of Lost Things was about, so I'm happy that you've taken your time to remind me of the other aspects of it, I'm definitely more intrigued now.

So will you trust your good friends Kylie and Poppyshake and bump this book up your TBR pile?

Hehe Kylie, I will be a bit disappointed if she turns down TkaM, but then again, it might come down to how well I'm able to 'sell' the book to her, and I don't know if I want to seem too pushy. What's OFOtCN? The other book I mentioned was A Confederacy of Dunces :giggle:

Oh dear. I could turn this into a guessing game, but I'm so embarrassed that I'll just quickly answer your question and move on...for some reason I was thinking of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I'm glad she didn't turn them down. :)

Ah, you noticed the stats! Thanks, I like them too. It'll be so interesting to see the stats at the end of the year. Yesterday after reading your post I also added a stats regarding the nationality of the author: Finns vs. foreign. I know how that'll go, though.

Finnish? I was actually surprised to see many books you've read in Finnish. Maybe you don't always mention which language you're reading a particular book in so I just assume it's English (naughty me rolleyes.gif).

I can't believe we only have 76 TBR books in common! That's only like ¼ of my books. I'm rather shocked. Maybe it's the case that the ones I have on my TBR you've already read, and vice versa.

I might have to go through your list again and count up the books I've already read. :)

[/color][/font]

So will you trust your good friends Kylie and Poppyshake and bump this book up your TBR pile?

Fine, I guess I will... :rolleyes: Okay okay! :D

Oh dear. I could turn this into a guessing game, but I'm so embarrassed that I'll just quickly answer your question and move on...for some reason I was thinking of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I'm glad she didn't turn them down.

:D Oh Kylie :friends0:

Finnish? I was actually surprised to see many books you've read in Finnish. Maybe you don't always mention which language you're reading a particular book in so I just assume it's English (naughty me :rolleyes:).

If it were down to me, I would read all foreign novels in English. But I don't always have the money to go and buy original copies and the library doesn't always have English copies. Besides, I explained myself badly. I meant that yesterday I added another stats, regarding books I've read that are by Finnish AUTHORS, versus books by foreign authors. :giggle2:

I might have to go through your list again and count up the books I've already read. :)

I bet that'll be a lot longer list!

Edited by frankie

I bet that'll be a lot longer list!

Well, it'll add to the number I calculated yesterday, but there's no way I've read 70+ books that you still have on your TBR pile. :)

Oh you Brits and your precious tea :giggle2: Well alright I suppose in this context you meant tea + snacks (?) by 'tea'. But initially I thought just regular tea and I was like, oh I'd just boil the water with my electric water boiler and add tea and milk and sugar and be done with it :giggle: Anyhow, we can't be perfect. Not even Alan! :lol:

uh-oh clarification needed. Tea is what us Brits (probably the more common ones) call dinner or supper. It's a meal eaten at .. well, teatime :giggle2: or at any rate early evening. It would be pushing it. even for me, to require a personal tea (as in cup) maker ... however I'm liking the sound of it now you've bought it out into the open :wink:

The date went surprisingly well. I had a bottle of cider beforehand, just to calm me down a bit, I was getting nervous. She ran late so I also had time to have another one at the bar where we met. It loosened my tongue but I wasn't too tipsy to be incoherent. Initially we talked a little bit about ourselves because we've only exchanged a few e-mails and we didn't know anything about each other. Then we also commented on the world championship ice hockey game that was on, thank god Finland won! Then we moved on to books.

I'd taken To Kill a Mockingbird, A Confederacy of Dunces, The Kabul Beauty School and A Friend Like Henry, to see if she wants any of them, she could have them because I would've otherwise taken them to the library's free book exchange trolley anyways. She already owned a copy of TKaM so she didn't take that one (she hasn't read it yet), but she did take the others. When I was at the loo she read the first couple of pages of ACoD and liked the sound of it and was intrigued. She also liked the idea of TKBS and AFLH, the latter one coincidentally having to do with her field of work in some ways. So I was happy! In exchange, she brought along her copy of Siri Hustvedt's novel (can't remember the title) as a recommendation, and I happen to have a copy of that so good. She felt so bad about taking all those books off me (eventhough I told her multiple times I'd give them away anyways so it was a matter of her having them or some other person having them) that she gave me a copy of this Finnish novel she wanted to recommend me, she said she also has a hardback copy of it so I could have the paperback she'd brought along.

To my surprise there were actually very few titles that we'd both read, them being books that we've read during our childhood (L. M. Montgomery's Ann and Emily -series). Her recommendations were mostly books that I'd heard of, and some of them I already owned and some of them I've been interested in. She's also read far more Finnish novels so it was great getting recommendations on that too. The books I recommended seemed interesting to her. So I think we do have a pretty similar kind of interest in books, but we've just managed to read all the different books. Well one book we had in common was the Harry Potter series.

I particularly recommended The Shadow of the Wind to her, and she said that it's so funny I should mention the book because her OH has just read it (and he doesn't usually read that kind of literature) and wholeheartedly recommended it. She'd read the first couple of pages but hadn't gotten into the story though. It'll be interesting to see if she'll give it a go.

So over all it was definitely all good. We both agreed that we'd had fun and that we'd meet again and talk more books. We were there for 2 hours and there were no awkward silences or anything, there was so much to talk about :)

I am actually green with envy. How lovely to have a meet up with a friend (and she will become a friend most probably if she hasn't already) and talk books. To know that they're interested and not to see them gaze off into the distance and stifle a yawn (not that I'm bitter or anything :lol: ) or to hear them change the subject and start talking about shoes. And it's nicer that, although you have similar tastes, she's read different books to you because that means you have so much more to talk about and learn .. and so have we (second hand) ... It's so exciting!

Ah, I was answering your first two questions and then started babbling and forgot reply to your other questions :lol: No, none of her choices were crap. I think she's a very sophisticated reader but not in a boring way.

She did mention Ishiguro, she'd started reading Never Let Me Go. I, of course, recommended A Pale View of Hills. :cool: None of the others were mentioned. Not the good ones, or the bad ones! So I'm happy :)

The ones she recommended and I wrote down are: Siri Hustvedt, Thousand Splendid Suns. She also likes Ian McEwan and Anne Tyler. The rest of the recommendations were Finnish novels.

Whoops missed this. She sounds like she has great taste, but is it Siri Hustvedt's 'What I Loved' or Siri Hustvedt in general? I bought it a couple of weeks back and I think it's another that's on the 1001 (I'll have to bump it up the list.) I haven't got 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' but I did read 'The Kite Runner' and enjoyed it so it's definitely one I keep thinking about getting. I can see your friend is going to spend all my money for me :D I've never read anything by Ian McEwan (not even 'Atonement') but weirdly, though I've never heard of her before, I did put a book by Anne Tyler on my Goodreads TBR's yesterday .. it is called 'Digging to America' or something and I saw it in Waterstones .. ooh, perhaps I have 'the force' too .. no, on second thoughts I think it's indigestion :lol:

That is really interesting that you had a book date Frankie. I think I would enjoy a book date but but being a man I believe a woman would have suspicions I had an ulteror motive, and if it was with another man he might think the same. Nobody would believe I would just like to talk about books!!

I was supposed to have a book date with Bookjumper last month but she seems to have dropped out of sight again!

I think I would enjoy a book date but but being a man I believe a woman would have suspicions I had an ulteror motive, and if it was with another man he might think the same.

Couldn't stop laughing when read that :lol::lol::lol:

Come to Leeds VF & have a book date with me I trust you :wink:

Couldn't stop laughing when read that :lol::lol::lol:

Come to Leeds VF & have a book date with me I trust you :wink:

Sure that's a great idea Kidsmum! Let's do lunch! (Always wanted to say that to someone)

I laughed at VF's comment too, but I think it's also pretty sad that a man has to feel that way; that he can't have male/female friends in case someone thinks he's cracking onto them. Poor VF (and most men). :friends0: If you're ever in my neck of the woods, I'll have a book date with you!

Well, it'll add to the number I calculated yesterday, but there's no way I've read 70+ books that you still have on your TBR pile.

Why is there no way? You've read loads!

uh-oh clarification needed. Tea is what us Brits (probably the more common ones) call dinner or supper. It's a meal eaten at .. well, teatime or at any rate early evening. It would be pushing it. even for me, to require a personal tea (as in cup) maker ... however I'm liking the sound of it now you've bought it out into the open

Ah yes. It's so confusing, why call it tea when it's dinner? It's not like you're only having tea for dinner. You people so crazy :giggle:

I am actually green with envy. How lovely to have a meet up with a friend (and she will become a friend most probably if she hasn't already) and talk books. To know that they're interested and not to see them gaze off into the distance and stifle a yawn (not that I'm bitter or anything ) or to hear them change the subject and start talking about shoes. And it's nicer that, although you have similar tastes, she's read different books to you because that means you have so much more to talk about and learn .. and so have we (second hand) ... It's so exciting!

I'm slow to make real friends, I don't like talking about myself with strangers, I usually do the listening and have questions for them. She did say a couple of times that she feels like she's been going on and on, but I told her I liked listening and it's not like she's been going on about stuff I'm not interested in. I'm sure I'll come more out of my shell in the future, when I've established in my head that she wants to get to know me. And it'll be easier to get to know each other via talking books. Talking about the books takes the pressure off me to talk about myself and trying to sound interesting. It's really a win-win situation.

It was really sooo much fun to talk books! I think we covered a lot of ground but there's still just so much to talk about. I forgot to ask her if she keeps a tally of all the books she reads, I'll ask her the next time, and will also tell her about goodreads. The two hours just flew by! A man was sitting at a table near us and sometimes I could see him looking over (maybe he wanted some company), but then he saw we had loads of books on the table :giggle: At one point the bartender cranked up the volume on the jukebox that was right behind me and I said to Liisa, we must really be boring the other customers with our bookish talk, and they need to drown out our conversation. That was a joke of course, but we did have a laugh about it.

Whoops missed this. She sounds like she has great taste, but is it Siri Hustvedt's 'What I Loved' or Siri Hustvedt in general? I bought it a couple of weeks back and I think it's another that's on the 1001 (I'll have to bump it up the list.) I haven't got 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' but I did read 'The Kite Runner' and enjoyed it so it's definitely one I keep thinking about getting. I can see your friend is going to spend all my money for me I've never read anything by Ian McEwan (not even 'Atonement') but weirdly, though I've never heard of her before, I did put a book by Anne Tyler on my Goodreads TBR's yesterday .. it is called 'Digging to America' or something and I saw it in Waterstones .. ooh, perhaps I have 'the force' too .. no, on second thoughts I think it's indigestion

It was What I Loved in particular, and The Sorrows of an American, I just couldn't remember the English title so just wrote Hustvedt. Did you buy the book solely based on the fact that it's on the list or are you otherwise interested? Liisa really liked it, there's a lot of stuff about art in it, which she enjoyed, personally I think I might struggle with it. Liisa has also read The Kite Runner and liked it too, but she was really astounded by A Thousand Splendid Suns. Haha do you really think you'll have any money for Liisa to spend, after talking to us on BCF and getting loads of recommendations from the good people on here? My my you must be RICH!

I've never read any Ian McEwan either, and to be honest I've never really even wanted to, I think I have this prejudice about him, that's really based on nothing factual. Weird. Should just go ahead and read one of his novels. It'll be interesting to see whether Anne Tyler is any good, in your opinion or mine, once we've gotten around to reading her.

That is really interesting that you had a book date Frankie. I think I would enjoy a book date but but being a man I believe a woman would have suspicions I had an ulteror motive, and if it was with another man he might think the same. Nobody would believe I would just like to talk about books!!

I was supposed to have a book date with Bookjumper last month but she seems to have dropped out of sight again!

It sucks, that as a man you don't have the same opportunities, because people might think you have an ulterior motive. I'ts only a few weeks ago when I was actually having to think about this: When Liisa first replied my e-mail, she used her hubby's e-mail address and so I thought wow, is 'she' really a dude, I thought 'she' was a real 'she'. Not that I'd asked her about her gender but her nickname on the forum where we met each other was feminine and I had assumed so was she. She then replied that had only been using hubby's address, no worries, she's no abnormal bodily hairs I should worry about.

Sorry you didn't get to have your book date with BookJumper, maybe you could reschedule when she gets back online again? If you're ever in Finland, just holler and I'll meet you to talk books. :):empathy:

I love the idea of a book date, frankie! If only I didn't live in the middle of nowhere! Still, that's where you guys on BCF come in

I certainly hope we're better than nothing at all :Dfriends0.gif How long a drive is it to your nearest town where you might have a shot at a reading group? Liisa drove 70 kilometers from where she lives.

Come to Leeds VF & have a book date with me I trust you

See vodkafan, you now have more book dates lined up than me!!

I laughed at VF's comment too, but I think it's also pretty sad that a man has to feel that way; that he can't have male/female friends in case someone thinks he's cracking onto them. Poor VF (and most men). If you're ever in my neck of the woods, I'll have a book date with you!

It is sad, indeed :(

Edited by frankie

Hey frankie! (There's a song in there somewhere - but I expect you're tired of hearing that! :giggle2: ) - how goes it? :friends3:

I've been woefully absent from the forum for the last few weeks. I've been feeling a bit meh and lethargic since the first anniversary of my Dad's death.

Anyway, I digress - I was just wondering where I can find a copy of your questionnaire? It sounds good, and something to get my teeth into and ease me back into forum life. I have tried searching but I can't find a complete copy of it, so sorry if you've posted it somewhere obvious and I'm just being stoopid! :P:)

Hey frankie! (There's a song in there somewhere - but I expect you're tired of hearing that! ) - how goes it?

You'll be quite surprised: I didn't know there's a song! It's not like you guys can actually SING it to me, whenever. And the only time I've met a BCF member in real life is when I met Kylie, and she was quite adamant about not singing, anything ever. Well I think she did sing one song, it was a particular, special song, don't remember the details, but it was certainly not about me. So blame Kylie!

I've been woefully absent from the forum for the last few weeks. I've been feeling a bit meh and lethargic since the first anniversary of my Dad's death.

Oh Janet, I didn't know :friends0: It must be a hard time for you, it being the first anniversary :friends0: :friends0:

Anyway, I digress - I was just wondering where I can find a copy of your questionnaire? It sounds good, and something to get my teeth into and ease me back into forum life. I have tried searching but I can't find a complete copy of it, so sorry if you've posted it somewhere obvious and I'm just being stoopid!

I just copy+pasted the questionnaire on this reading blog as a normal post, it's on page 16. So if you were looking for it on page 1, there's no way for you to have been stupid cause it wasn't there to be found. I'm copy+pasting it here for you:

"I found this on another book forum, where someone had found it on a reading blog by a Finnish goodreads member. I thought it was interesting and I thought I'd try it myself. The idea is simple, there's a title for each day in a month and you just go ahead and write. I'm not sure if I'll start this today, or if I'll write everyday, but I'd like to complete this at some point :)

Day 01 – Best book you read last year V

Day 02 – A book that you’ve read more than 3 times V

Day 03 – Your favourite series V

Day 04 – Favourite book of your favourite series V

Day 05 – A book that makes you happy

Day 06 – A book that makes you sad

Day 07 – Most underrated book

Day 08 – Most overrated book

Day 09 – A book you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving

Day 10 – Favourite classic book

Day 11 – A book you hated

Day 12 – A book you used to love but don’t anymore

Day 13 – Your favourite writer

Day 14 – Favourite book of your favourite writer

Day 15 – Favourite male character

Day 16 – Favourite female character

Day 17 – Favourite quote from your favourite book

Day 18 – A book that disappointed you

Day 19 – Favourite book turned into a movie

Day 20 – Favourite romance book

Day 21 – Favourite book from your childhood

Day 22 – Favourite book you own

Day 23 – A book you wanted to read for a long time but still haven’t

Day 24 – A book that you wish more people would’ve read

Day 25 – A character who you can relate to the most

Day 26 – A book that changed your opinion about something

Day 27 – The most surprising plot twist or ending

Day 28 – Favourite title

Day 29 – A book everyone hated but you liked

Day 30 – Your favourite book of all time "

Have fun with it, and I'll be looking forward to reading your answers! :)

NB: The questionnaire is free for you all to copy and use if you wish! :)

Edited by frankie

friends0.gif Janet. I hope you're feeling a bit better now.

You'll be quite surprised: I didn't know there's a song! It's not like you guys can actually SING it to me, whenever. And the only time I've met a BCF member in real life is when I met Kylie, and she was quite adamant about not singing, anything ever. Well I think she did sing one song, it was a particular, special song, don't remember the details, but it was certainly not about me. So blame Kylie!

Oh Janet, I didn't know :friends0: It must be a hard time for you, it being the first anniversary :friends0: :friends0:

I just copy+pasted the questionnaire on this reading blog as a normal post, it's on page 17. So if you were looking for it on page 1, there's no way for you to have been stupid cause it wasn't there to be found. I'm copy+pasting it here for you:

"I found this on another book forum, where someone had found it on a reading blog by a Finnish goodreads member. I thought it was interesting and I thought I'd try it myself. The idea is simple, there's a title for each day in a month and you just go ahead and write. I'm not sure if I'll start this today, or if I'll write everyday, but I'd like to complete this at some point :)

Thanks Kylie and frankie. :hug: he anniversary wasn't as bad as I'd expected - his birthday was worse, actually. There's not a day goes by when I don't think about him. I miss him so much, but it is getting easier, slowly.

Cheese alert...

Thanks for pasting the questionnaire. :) I will copy it into my blog and look forward to doing it. I've enjoyed reading the ones I've found on here. :)

:hug: You guys ROCK!! :)

Yes, it was very remiss of me not to know that song. But it's from a decade whose music I generally really dislike, so I'd never heard it before! Thanks for posting it Janet. :)

I have to respond to at least a couple of your posts, Frankie, but I'll have to do it tomorrow as it's nearly my bed-time. :)

Oh heck Janet, what am I supposed to do with you?! Now everyone will know I'm actually a man in his prime, and not a young, innocent girl! :irked:

:giggle2: I'd never heard the song before, but I don't mind 80s music at all. Some great tunes were made back in the day!

See you tomorrow Kylie, I'm sorry that your silly friend was bugging you all evening, distracting you from the BCF! :empathy:

And now the bookish part of today: I got the most wonderful package from my friend Kylie, and it included the following books:

Literary Trivia - Over 300 Curious Lists for Bookworms by Aubrey Malone

Bonk - The Curious Coupling of Sex and Science by Mary Roach

Letters and Numbers - Word and Number Puzzles from the SBS TV Show (this was one of my favorite shows to watch when I was in Australia!)

Letters and Numbers - More Word and Number Puzzles from the SBS TV Show

Things Bogans Like - Tribal Tatts to Reality TV: How to Recognise the Twenty-First Century Bogan by E. Chas McSween, Enron Hubbard, Flash Johnson, Hunter McKenzie-Smythe, Intravenus DeMilo and special guest contributor Michael Jayfox

Mr Chartwell by Rebecca Hunt

At Home in the World by Joyce Maynard

Thanks Kylie! :friends3: