Peacefield's Reads of 2011

Peacefield

Peace, I've been eyeing that Chili Peppers book for my coffee table. Trying to hold out till it ends up on bn's bargin list, though I doubt I can wait that long. Enjoy! =)

Cool, Bookworm! Peppers fans unite :D. I actually got mine at my local Barnes & Noble for 50% off, so maybe you can stop by the store where you are for the same deal? You never know!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool, Bookworm! Peppers fans unite :D. I actually got mine at my local Barnes & Noble for 50% off, so maybe you can stop by the store where you are for the same deal? You never know!

I am definitely keeping an eye out for it for my sister :)

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't read in days :weeping:. The last couple weeks I've been so preoccupied and now that things have settled down I just don't feel like picking anything up. Maybe I should just blame Scarlett Thomas and find a different book to read...

I haven't read in days :weeping:. The last couple weeks I've been so preoccupied and now that things have settled down I just don't feel like picking anything up. Maybe I should just blame Scarlett Thomas and find a different book to read...

I usually take a mini book break, read something else, then go back to it :)

She'd love it, Paula! Lots of history on the band, not to mention all the eye candy ;)

I am going to get it for her birthday :) I know she has read 'Scar Tissue: The Autobiography' by Anthony Kiedis a few times :)

Edited by Weave

I usually take a mini book break, read something else, then go back to it :)

I am going to get it for her birthday :) I know she has read 'Scar Tissue: The Autobiography' by Anthony Kiedis a few times :)

That's a great idea, Paula, thanks. Maybe I just need a jump start, huh?

You are such a good sister! I know she'll love that book :D. I used to own Scar Tissue; I had a signed copy in fact but it burned in the fire before I got a chance to read it :irked:

That's a great idea, Paula, thanks. Maybe I just need a jump start, huh?

You are such a good sister! I know she'll love that book :D. I used to own Scar Tissue; I had a signed copy in fact but it burned in the fire before I got a chance to read it :irked:

A wee jump start is all you need hen and you helped my decision with the book (my sister does love RHCP so :D), I am sorry you lost your signed copy hen :hug:

Edited by Weave

Woo-hoo for the Fru Fanclub! I'm posting this pic in hopes it helps me regain my mojo somehow.

rchp2.jpg

Hmmm, I think it's working :giggle:

Its that hair, he always looks so windswept and interesting!....sigh (in a good way :lol:)

• 4 weeks later...

My reading has been very slow going this year! You can probably tell that by my lack of updates on this thread :blush:. I decided to set Popco aside a couple of weeks ago and started on Giants in the Earth: A Saga of the Prairie and am absolutely loving it. Ever since I read last year that biography of two sisters who decided to become pioneers and claim unsettled land in South Dakota, I've been fascinated with that part of US history.

I also came home yesterday from a friend's with The Relic, by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child :D.

• 3 weeks later...

giants-in-the-earth-ii.jpg?w=140&h=213

O. E. Rolvaag's Giants in the Earth narrates the story of a Norwegian immigrant family's struggles on the American plains from 1873 to 1881. The novel details the triumphs, hardships, and ultimate tragedies of South Dakota farmers as they try to wrest a livelihood from a land that, while fertile, often proves actively hostile to human habitation.

Sorry it's taken me so long to write this review, guys! There wasn't much of a synopsis online either, so forgive me for the shortness of it.

I can't tell you how happy I am to have read this novel. Besides the fact that I find American pioneer life so fascinating, I've never read anything that gives such a detailed account of all the hardships that these immigrants went through to start a life here in the US. Throw on top of that the midwest winters to have to live through and various insect plagues to their crops, it amazes me how courageous these people were. After reading this, I'm not surprised that many of the brave souls who wanted to go west either ended up losing their minds, dying from starvation, or simply just giving up and returning to where they came from.

What made this novel even more exciting for me was that my Norwegian ancestors took the exact same path to the Dakotas that the people in this story. Reading about all the hurdles these people had to jump made me feel like I was there with my own family. My ancestors were some of the lucky few who survived all the hardships and built a life for themselves and without this fact I can honestly say I wouldn't be here.

I'm giving this book the highest, most sparkliest recommendation I've ever :D.

giants-in-the-earth-ii.jpg?w=140&h=213

O. E. Rolvaag's Giants in the Earth narrates the story of a Norwegian immigrant family's struggles on the American plains from 1873 to 1881. The novel details the triumphs, hardships, and ultimate tragedies of South Dakota farmers as they try to wrest a livelihood from a land that, while fertile, often proves actively hostile to human habitation.

Sorry it's taken me so long to write this review, guys! There wasn't much of a synopsis online either, so forgive me for the shortness of it.

I can't tell you how happy I am to have read this novel. Besides the fact that I find American pioneer life so fascinating, I've never read anything that gives such a detailed account of all the hardships that these immigrants went through to start a life here in the US. Throw on top of that the midwest winters to have to live through and various insect plagues to their crops, it amazes me how courageous these people were. After reading this, I'm not surprised that many of the brave souls who wanted to go west either ended up losing their minds, dying from starvation, or simply just giving up and returning to where they came from.

What made this novel even more exciting for me was that my Norwegian ancestors took the exact same path to the Dakotas that the people in this story. Reading about all the hurdles these people had to jump made me feel like I was there with my own family. My ancestors were some of the lucky few who survived all the hardships and built a life for themselves and without this fact I can honestly say I wouldn't be here.

I'm giving this book the highest, most sparkliest recommendation I've ever :D.

Great review peacefield, it does sound like a good read and I do enjoy learning about history :)

Thanks, you guys :D.

I started corresponding to a genealogist in that region and apparently he used this book during his teaching years. He also said that there's a heritage center dedicated to it so I'm hoping to visit this summer!

• 4 weeks later...

The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley

Synopsis via Waterstones:

'I was lying dead in the churchyard...' So says eleven-year-old Flavia de Luce - but soon a murder provides a gruesome distraction from her own death...A travelling puppet show arrives in the sleepy English village of Bishop's Lacey, and everyone gathers to watch a performance of Jack and the Beanstalk in the village hall. But a shadow is cast over proceedings when a shocking murder takes place during the performance - a murder which strangely echoes a tragedy that occurred many years before. For Flavia, undoing the complex knot that ties these strands together will test her precocious powers of deduction to the limit - and throw a revealing light into some of the darker corners of the adult world...

:clapping: Great job again Mr. Bradley! Another lovely installment of a Flavia de Luce mystery that I really enjoyed. I love the way the author is so detailed and descriptive of the village of Bishop's Lacey, and all the characters in it. They aren't your typical 'quirky' neighbors either, they have real depth which is refreshing. I guess you can just call Alan Bradley's books captivating :D. I could not have guessed the true murderer if I tried, and whilst reading and trying to figure it out I got to laugh and chuckle at almost everything that came out of Flavia's mouth. My only minor complaint would be that there was quite a lot of story before the actual murder happened, so the solving of it seemed a bit rushed. I was also left curious about a couple of characters and where they ended up after Flavia solved the mystery. Otherwise I loved it and am looking forward to reading the 3rd installment. Highly recommended series, you guys!

• 1 month later...

Okay, so I'm finally getting around to updating my pitiful 'reads' thread! Below are reviews of the 2 books I finished since the last post, and I'm following Frankie's example of posting a book list of my own for each day of the month :D.

Firstly - Day 01: Best book you read last year - The Last Witchfinder by James Morrow - Thank you Mac for the recommendation on this one! I loved it and was my fave from last year.

The Neighbors by Carol Smith

Synopsis via Amazon:

Fleeing from a violent relationship, Kate Ashenberry arrives in London and finds sanctuary in a vast Victorian apartment building which will, she hopes, give her the anonymity and security she seeks. Gradually, she gets to know her new neighbors who become Kate's best friends. As their lives grow closer, Kate revels in her newfound friends...yet something is not right. Some of the residents seem almost too friendly, and, occasionally, Kate feels she is being watched. It is only when the killing starts that the cozy camaraderie of Kensington Court collapses, for no one, not even Kate, can foresee which friendly neighbor may be the next victim...or the killer.

While this read was very creepy, I ended up being two minds about it after I finished. The descriptions the author gave for the huge old apartment building and each and every tennant was fascinating. I loved reading about each character's thought processes and true feelings about the other neighbors. It was almost like being in the middle of a huge gossip ring or even felt a bit voyeuristic at times. About halfway through though I found myself wondering when something was actually going to happen. It's like the author built up and built up with the neighbors and with Kate's violent past, that she then forgot what the story was about and threw it in kind of slapdash at the end. I will say that I was genuinely surprised at who the murderer was, and the little twists at the end were clever. I'm not sure I would recommend the book to anyone however :roll:.

Nanny Returns by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus

Nan revisits 721 Park, home of the moneyed but morally bankrupt Xs, and the boy she guiltily left behind in their inept care in this smart and sassy sequel to The Nanny Diaries. And though Nan has grown up a bit, married Harvard Hottie Ryan and traveled the world, the plight of the rich and stupid continues, as does Nan's new crusade to save former charge Grayer and his younger brother Stilton, renovate a crumbling East Harlem mansion and stick it out at a soulless Manhattan private school. Outcomes are deeply uncertain, though Nan is nothing if not a natural-born cheerleader: I know what I'm worth. Because I care for these kids, I do, right down to my toes, she says of her young charges in and out of school. There's still one fear, however—whether she'll ever be able to make the leap from nanny to mommy. McLaughlin and Kraus leave no dry eyes as they once again wield a razor-sharp wit that cuts down the most uppity mortals even as it lifts up their vulnerable children. You could safely bet your first born that this'll be another smash hit.

This was a pretty good sequel to The Nanny Diaries, but still somewhat of a disappointment. Both authors are excellent writers, and I love everything they come up with. The dialogue is hilarious at times, and the writing was probably my number one reason for liking this book despite it's disappointment. Nanny is older, wiser, and happy with her husband. She somehow gets sucked back into the Xs life and because she feels responsible for how she left things in the first book, she stays there and tries to fix things. The Xs and all their friends/neighbors were as annoying as ever, so I alternated between being mad at them and feeling sorry for Grayer and his brother Stilton. Those two and Nanny and her husband and family seem to be the only normal people in the book! A nice read, but if you're going to read only one of the Nanny books, please make it the first.

Day 02 – A book that you’ve read more than 3 times:

I've read Maeve Binchy's Circle of Friends more times than I can count. I just love the story so much, and something about that book just gives me a good feeling.

I bet you guys were thinking I'd say another book, huh?? ;) Well, I've read that one more than 3 times too but I didn't want to use something so obvious :lol:.

The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley

'I was lying dead in the churchyard...' So says eleven-year-old Flavia de Luce - but soon a murder provides a gruesome distraction from her own death...A travelling puppet show arrives in the sleepy English village of Bishop's Lacey, and everyone gathers to watch a performance of Jack and the Beanstalk in the village hall. But a shadow is cast over proceedings when a shocking murder takes place during the performance - a murder which strangely echoes a tragedy that occurred many years before. For Flavia, undoing the complex knot that ties these strands together will test her precocious powers of deduction to the limit - and throw a revealing light into some of the darker corners of the adult world...

:clapping: Great job again Mr. Bradley! Another lovely installment of a Flavia de Luce mystery that I really enjoyed. I love the way the author is so detailed and descriptive of the village of Bishop's Lacey, and all the characters in it. They aren't your typical 'quirky' neighbors either, they have real depth which is refreshing. I guess you can just call Alan Bradley's books captivating :D. I could not have guessed the true murderer if I tried, and whilst reading and trying to figure it out I got to laugh and chuckle at almost everything that came out of Flavia's mouth. My only minor complaint would be that there was quite a lot of story before the actual murder happened, so the solving of it seemed a bit rushed. I was also left curious about a couple of characters and where they ended up after Flavia solved the mystery. Otherwise I loved it and am looking forward to reading the 3rd installment. Highly recommended series, you guys!

Great review Peace :) and I'm so glad because I loved 'the Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie' and there's always that worry that they've peaked and it'll all slide backwards. It's on my wishlist at Goodreads but I must bump it up.

Day 02 – A book that you’ve read more than 3 times:

I've read Maeve Binchy's Circle of Friends more times than I can count. I just love the story so much, and something about that book just gives me a good feeling.

I bet you guys were thinking I'd say another book, huh?? ;) Well, I've read that one more than 3 times too but I didn't want to use something so obvious :lol:.

I love all (or most) of Maeve's books especially the early one's (haven't been so keen on her latest offerings.) Her books are great comfort reads, they make you feel warm and safe somehow. I listen to the audios a lot ... her cousin reads them.

Great review Peace :) and I'm so glad because I loved 'the Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie' and there's always that worry that they've peaked and it'll all slide backwards. It's on my wishlist at Goodreads but I must bump it up.

Thanks, Poppy! I loved Sweetness too - Flavia is one of my favorite characters! I've been keeping my eye out for the 3rd book, but I think I may wait for the paperback since the other two I have are paperback. Forgive me because I can't think of the title, but I know the book is yellow and possibly has the word 'herring' in the title?? :blush:

I've read most of Maeve's older books, Poppy, with the exception of Tara Road (which I loved), but I guess that's probably not considered new anymore.

I was out of town over the weekend and didn't post this, but I think I'll just pick up right where I left off -

Day 03 – Your favourite series

Well, aside from the obvious vampire series, my favorite would have to be Iain Pears' art history mystery series with Jonathan Argyle as the main character. He did 7 of them, and I've been waiting patiently for Mr. Pears to write an 8th! They are just fun, nice little cozy mysteries which every once in awhile I need in amoungst my heavy and stressful books :D. The series includes:

1. The Raphael Affair

2. The Titian Committee

3. The Bernini Bust

4. The Last Judgement

5. Giotto's Hand

6. Death and Restoration

7. The Immaculate Deception

Highly recommended you guys! If you like art history combined with a mystery, you will love this series.

• 1 month later...

A Discovery of Witches

By Deborah Harkness

An epic, richly inventive, historically sweeping, magical romance. When historian Diana Bishop opens an alchemical manuscript in the Bodleian Library, it's an unwelcome intrusion of magic into her carefully ordered life. Though Diana is a witch of impeccable lineage, the violent death of her parents while she was still a child convinced her that human fear is more potent than any witchcraft. Now Diana has unwittingly exposed herself to a world she's kept at bay for years; one of powerful witches, creative, destructive daemons and long-lived vampires. Sensing the significance of Diana's discovery, the creatures gather in Oxford, among them the enigmatic Matthew Clairmont, a vampire genticist. Diana is inexplicably drawn to Matthew and, in a shadowy world of half-truths and old enmities, ties herself to him without fully understanding the ancient line they are crossing. As they begin to unlock the secrets of the manuscript and their feelings for each other deepen, so the fragile balance of peace unravels...

I finished a Discovery a Witches a couple of nights ago, and I'm still reflecting on the many reasons why I liked it so much. Things I write (especially in reveiws) sometimes don't make sense, but that's only because I loved something so much that I can't put it into proper words :D. Honestly I think this is one of the best books I've read that blended the topics of historical fiction and the paranormal, and did it so perfectly. I loved reading about Diana's ancestry in the Salem witches, learning about just how old Matthew was and all the people he knew and experiences he's had. I could read paragraph upon paragraph of Harkness's description of the Bodleian, Matthew's library, anything.

The science arm of the story fascinated me as well, and is where I felt that Discovery of Witches sets itself apart from others in the paranormal genre. Harkness described everything so that it didn't immediately fly over my head :). I think I saw Charm say before that some parts toward the end were a little more far-fetched than normal, and I agree, but it still seemed to flow well with the story and didn't feel foreign in the least. I cannot wait to see where Matthew and Diana's characters are taken and what journeys and experiences they'll have together. A lovely story, and also a favorite read of mine this year :D.

Fantastic review peace! I am so so pleased it is one of your favourite reads, mine too :D I totally get where you're coming from regarding the science aspect, usually I'm not that keen on these bits and I tend to forget them as soon as I've read them, but even they managed to keep me interested throughout. Cannot wait for the next one! I suppose if it's taking so long to write, at least it might be another huge book? Here's hoping! ;)

Fantastic review peace! I am so so pleased it is one of your favourite reads, mine too :D I totally get where you're coming from regarding the science aspect, usually I'm not that keen on these bits and I tend to forget them as soon as I've read them, but even they managed to keep me interested throughout. Cannot wait for the next one! I suppose if it's taking so long to write, at least it might be another huge book? Here's hoping! ;)

Thanks, Charm! Yeah, sometimes my eyes glaze over at the thought of reading numerous scientific facts and figures, but I was actually interested in the things that went on in this book. Can you imagine the amount of research it takes her? I wouldn't be surprised if it takes her awhile to finish the rest of the books, but yes, I hope it's a big one! :D

9780812543261.jpg

Synopsis via Powell's Books:

Just days before a massive exhibition opens at the popular New York Museum of Natural History, visitors are being savagely murdered in the museum's dark hallways and secret rooms. Autopsies indicate that the killer cannot be human... But the museum's directors plan to go ahead with a big bash to celebrate the new exhibition, in spite of the murders. Museum researcher Margo Green must find out who-or what-is doing the killing. But can she do it in time to stop the massacre?

This is the first book I'd read of Child and Preston's, and I must say I liked it a lot! Mostly I'm a big reader of plot-driven books, but every once in awhile I just want something where I don't have to think so much and can just get swept up in a suspenseful, edge-of-my-seat kind of book. Needless to say it was character-driven, but it was something I needed after finishing the huge Discovery of Witches.

Any book set in a museum will get my attention, so throw in some really likeable characters and a creepy beast running around killing people is just good fun! :D The folklore behind the beast and how it came to nocturnally wander the halls of a museum was very intriguing, and in my mind not too far-fetched. Plus it had a nice surprising hook at the end which I was not expecting. All in all, I'd recommend this one if you just need a weekend read, and I'll for sure be looking at other books in the series.