Peacefield's Reads of 2011

Peacefield

You weren't hijacking anything, Vodkafan! No worries :D. Thanks for that link too - I wonder if it'll ever play over here in the US?

Ben, I've only read the first Hunger Games book but I loved it! I can't wait to get my hands on the rest of the books, Kylie :D

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

OMG I've let myself get behind again! What a slacker.

Synopsis for both books via Waterstones:

9780356500171.jpg

Eve Levine - half-demon, black witch and devoted mother - has been dead for three years. She has a great house, an interesting love life and can't be killed again - which comes in handy when you've made as many enemies as Eve. Yes, the afterlife isn't too bad - all she needs to do is find a way to communicate with her daughter Savannah and she'll be happy. But fate - or more exactly, the Fates - have other plans. Eve owes them a favour, and they've just called it in. An evil spirit called the Nix has escaped from hell. She feeds on chaos and death, and is very good at persuading people to kill for her. The Fates want Eve to hunt her down before she does any more damage, but the Nix is a dangerous enemy - previous hunters have been sent mad in the process. As if that's not problem enough, it turns out that the only way to stop her is with an angel's sword. And Eve's no angel ...

This is book 5 in Kelley Armstrong's 'Women of the Otherworld' series, and I think pretty close to my favorite so far. For some reason in the previous books when Eve was mentioned, I didn't have a very good opinion of her and even thought of her as a 'bad guy.' This book though was from her perspective and showed a whole other side to Eve that I honestly didn't know existed. It was also interesting to learn about the rules of the non-earthly realms, and to learn that Eve could still practice her magic and go to her home, etc. It was a little tricky at times to keep track of exactly who was a ghost, a witch or just a plain human, and where they were in the story. I managed though! :lol:

I enjoyed reading more about Savannah's father, plus there were angels in this installment which I've not really read about before in these books. As it always is in Armstrong's books, her women characters are very strong and independent. It was nice to see Eve actually have a purpose in her ghostly life, which made for a suspenseful story and very much a page turner :).

9781407109367.jpg

After winning the brutal Hunger Games, Katniss Everdeen returns to her district, hoping for a peaceful future. But Katniss starts to hear rumours of a deadly rebellion against the Capitol. A rebellion that she and Peeta have helped to create. As Katniss and Peeta are forced to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. Unless Katniss and Peeta can convince the world that they are still lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying. This is the terrifying sequel to "The Hunger Games."

Love, love, LOVE this series! It was more of an emotional read for me than the first book, which is also how I think Katniss has developed herself. She had more of a connection with the people in her life so therefore much more of a stake in how things turned out. She has matured and was willing to sacrifice many important things for those around her whom she loved.

The second book shows more things coming together, ie the fulfillment of Katniss's ultimate purpose within her district and all the districts under the evil Capitol. I can't wait to see how the trilogy ends!

I haven't read any Sarah Waters, but she writes Victorian mysteries too? I might have to get my hands on some of her stuff.

Glad I could recommend this one to you guys! :D

I've read all of Sarah Waters' books except for The Little Stranger (which is on my tbr) and they are all fab! My favourites were The Night Watch and Affinity. Fingersmith was brilliant too.

Have added The Hunger Games to my library list!

9781407109367.jpg

After winning the brutal Hunger Games, Katniss Everdeen returns to her district, hoping for a peaceful future. But Katniss starts to hear rumours of a deadly rebellion against the Capitol. A rebellion that she and Peeta have helped to create. As Katniss and Peeta are forced to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. Unless Katniss and Peeta can convince the world that they are still lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying. This is the terrifying sequel to "The Hunger Games."

Love, love, LOVE this series! It was more of an emotional read for me than the first book, which is also how I think Katniss has developed herself. She had more of a connection with the people in her life so therefore much more of a stake in how things turned out. She has matured and was willing to sacrifice many important things for those around her whom she loved.

The second book shows more things coming together, ie the fulfillment of Katniss's ultimate purpose within her district and all the districts under the evil Capitol. I can't wait to see how the trilogy ends!

Ain't it great?! :D I found this one to be more emotional aswell, I've read it on the train and could barely keep myself from crying :blush:

OMG I've let myself get behind again! What a slacker.

Synopsis for both books via Waterstones:

9780356500171.jpg

Eve Levine - half-demon, black witch and devoted mother - has been dead for three years. She has a great house, an interesting love life and can't be killed again - which comes in handy when you've made as many enemies as Eve. Yes, the afterlife isn't too bad - all she needs to do is find a way to communicate with her daughter Savannah and she'll be happy. But fate - or more exactly, the Fates - have other plans. Eve owes them a favour, and they've just called it in. An evil spirit called the Nix has escaped from hell. She feeds on chaos and death, and is very good at persuading people to kill for her. The Fates want Eve to hunt her down before she does any more damage, but the Nix is a dangerous enemy - previous hunters have been sent mad in the process. As if that's not problem enough, it turns out that the only way to stop her is with an angel's sword. And Eve's no angel ...

This is book 5 in Kelley Armstrong's 'Women of the Otherworld' series, and I think pretty close to my favorite so far. For some reason in the previous books when Eve was mentioned, I didn't have a very good opinion of her and even thought of her as a 'bad guy.' This book though was from her perspective and showed a whole other side to Eve that I honestly didn't know existed. It was also interesting to learn about the rules of the non-earthly realms, and to learn that Eve could still practice her magic and go to her home, etc. It was a little tricky at times to keep track of exactly who was a ghost, a witch or just a plain human, and where they were in the story. I managed though! :lol:

I enjoyed reading more about Savannah's father, plus there were angels in this installment which I've not really read about before in these books. As it always is in Armstrong's books, her women characters are very strong and independent. It was nice to see Eve actually have a purpose in her ghostly life, which made for a suspenseful story and very much a page turner :).

9781407109367.jpg

Great reviews peace (and you are not a slacker!), I felt the exact same away about 'Eve' and it was 'Haunted' that changed my mind about her, its a great read. I am so pleased you enjoyed 'Catching Fire', there is intenseness to it and I agree, its a more emotional read, just wait for 'Mockingjay' :hug:

Edited by Weave

Thanks, you guys! :D I can't wait to read Mockingjay, and the next Armstrong book as well. So many series, so little time :lol:.

Whatever you do don't read Mockingjay just before you go to work, the repair work I had to do was tremendous :D

9780099516422.jpg

Oooh, do want! It sounds good. :) *Adds to Wishlist*

Sorry to hijack your thread again Peace- I just found out there is a new TV version of Sarah Waters' The Night Watch and it was on TV last night! This one is not set in Victorian times though.

http://www.virginmedia.com/tvradio/tv-highlights/tv-reviews.php

:( How did I miss this?! I knew it was going to be on - I think some of it may have been filmed in Bath. I didn't see any trailers for it or anything and it's not on iPlayer. Boo. :(