Madcow's Book List 2007

madcow

Started this last night and finished it this morning. It was good to find out a bit more about some of the characters from Crimson Petal. It cleared up a few things left hanging in the air from TCPATW but i just wish there had been more!!!!!

If only Michel would write a proper sequal (sigh).

Not sure what to read next.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still reading Broken Angels, reading mojo still very poor but went to the library this morning and came away with...

The Other Daughter - Lisa Gardner

Haunted Homes - Mia Dolan

Foreign Fruit - Jojo Moyes

A Young Man's Passage - Julian Clary

I've gone for some smaller books to try and ease my way back into reading. Fingers crossed I'll manage to get through these in 3 weeks!

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to finish Broken Angels on Friday evening. Another good read from Richard Montanari. Next to read...

Haunted Homes by Mia Dolan

Mian Dolan, Britain's most famous female psychic and bestselling author of The Gift, can see dead people. Since she discovered she could talk to the spirit world, Mia has encountered many kinds of ghosts, from the kindly and confused to the more mischievous and malevolent. In Haunted Homes, ITV's first series on real-life ghost-busting Mia investigates the plight of seven ordinary families too terrified to stay in their own homes - strange noises in the night, dark figures standing over them and unprecedented accidents. Here, Mia revelas the true story of what she found, as well as the incredible things the TV series didn't show...

Thanks loves to be honest I would probably read more if I wasn't on here!!!! I try to set aside some time every day to read and if I feel like it I will otherwise I'll do something else :) I have to say though I am enjoying Mia Dolans book, I love all things psychic and paranormal they intrigue me.

Finished Haunted homes last night, very interesting, as I've said before I love all things psychic and paranormal and this book gave an insight into the Haunted Homes tv show i saw with a few updates.

Next one...

A young Man's Passage by Julian Clary

From the box room of the suburban semi where I grew up I propagated a new and exciting me that few knew about. The clear-skinned schoolboy who doffed his cap, brushed his hair and polished his black slip-on shoes every Sunday had a secret alter ego. Behind closed doors and under the blankets the other Julian spread his wings and opened his legs. He wanted fame and infamy, love and sorrow, money and boys, revenge and adoration. He wanted to be Jean Genet, Miss Jean Brodie and Larry Grayson.....

Finished Julian Clary's book earlier today. It was, shall we say, an interesting read! I am not into biographies as such but I was intrigued by the blurb on the back. Most of the book was fairly predictable with a few funny stories thrown in, a light read not too taxing on the brain.

Next up...

The other Daughter by Lisa Gardner

A nine-year old girl is abandoned, unconscious, in a hospital ER. When she comes round, she remembers nothing about herself or her past. One of the doctors on duty that night is Dr. Stokes, whose own four-year old had been tragically murdered. The doctor and his wife decide to adopt the abandoned girl, and for twenty years Melanie considers herself very lucky....

Lucky, that is until a has-been reporter starts investigating Mealnie's true parentage and an FBI agent becomes involved in the tangled mystery of her past. And when threatening notes start arriving, accompanied by chilling gifts, Melanie begins to fear that the family she loves the most may be the very people she should trust the least....

Finished The Other Daughter yesterday. Another enjoyable read from Lisa Gardner, next up....

Silent sisters by Jenny Tomlin & Kim Challinor

Jenny and Kim had a brutal childhood, growing up in a house where no-one was safe and violent beatings and sexual abuse were part of everyday life. Both girls escaped the family home as soon as possible but in a sickening pattern of violence, Jenny went on to suffer unimaginable degredation at the hands of her violent partner and Kim had to cope with the agony of watching history repeat itself. Through all the horror, what kept the sisters going was the extraordinarily powerful bond between the two of them, which has survived terrifying pain and given them the strength to triumph over the past.

This is a profoundly courageous tale of the strength of the human spirit and the redemptive power of love...

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst i have been 'off line' i managed to finish silent sisters, I enjoyed this one and the fact that Jenny is Martine McCutheon's mum also gave it a more down to earth feel. At times I felt like shouting at the book to try and get Jenny to see what was happening. At the end of the day the sisters remained close and both managed to come through the terrible traumas they suffered, and I think it was brave of them to put pen to paper and write about the abuse they suffered.

I also read Malicious Intent by Kathryn Fox and although I would not class her in the same league as Karin Slaughter or Kathy Reichs I did enjoy the book and look forward to reading more of her work.

Next one to read is The Bird Woman by Kerry Hardie

Ellen McKinnon, red haired, clairvoyant, fiercely independent, finds her marriage, her health, her sanity threatened when she 'sees' the death of a man in a bomb attack before it has really occurred. Terrified, she leaves her home and her husband to live with a man she barely knows in Ireland.

She is determined to supress her 'gift' but, with the birth of her children, the clairvoyance changes and broadens into a power to heal. Slowly, the rumours spread and the sick seek her out. She reluctantly begins her work as a healer.

But, when news of the final illness of her long-estranged mother forces her to return to her native city, everything falls apart and she finds there's no safe grounf beneath her feet...

• 2 weeks later...

Well I managed to finish The Bird Woman this morning, it was an okay book it didn't grab me like i thought it would.

Next on the list...

Smashed by Koran Zailckas

The day Koran turned fourteen she emerged from her friend Natalie's kitchen clutching a bottle of Southern Comfort. At fifteen she and Natalie sneaked out on a summer night, then the next morning had to piece back together forgotten fragments of drink, men and misplaced clothes. At sixteen she was carried through the hospital doors unconscious. And so it began...

Hardly done any reading this week, hubby keeps finding things for me to do instead :welcomeboard:.

Might have to invest in some sleeping pills for him so that I can get some reading done, I'm getting withdrawal symptoms :tong:

Thanks guys :welcomeboard:, still not managed any reading but did get out for a couple of hours to do some shopping! Mother in law coming round tomorrow morning to 'hubby sit' and make dinner whilst I take Hannah to a hockey tournament :tong:. Might sneak in a few pages whilst she plays.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally managed to finish Smashed as it was due back at the library. I had high hopes for this book but for me it fell flat and I ended up thinking to myself why put yourself through it? Ah well did managed to come out of the library empty handed! Going to concentrate on reading some of Kat's books so she can have them back but first I'm starting my Penguin Classic Silent Spring by Rachel Carson. I have to admit I'm not looking forward to this as it isn't my type of book but needs must...lol

• 3 weeks later...

Still struggling with Silent Spring! It's not really my cup of tea, a bit too factual for me. So I've decided to start another book inbetween and picked up Cat Confidential by Vicky Halls, very enjoyable so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished Cat Confidential the other day, a really enjoyable read that had me laughing to myself more than once. Now moving on to Without Consent by Kathryn Fox:

All of the victims have a blade-shaped bruise on their chests. All heard the rapist utter the words 'If you can't be hurt you can't be loved'. And all were told they would die if they went to the police.

Forensic physician Dr Anya Crichton is on the trail of a violent serial rapist. When two of the women are later found stabbed to death in apparently frenzied attacks, police suspicion immedialtely falls upon Geoffrey Willard, recently released from twenty years in prison for the brutal rape and murder of a fourteen year old girl.

Unravelling the forensic evidence, however, Anya's just not sure...

Finished Cat Confidential the other day, a really enjoyable read that had me laughing to myself more than once. Now moving on to Without Consent by Kathryn Fox:

All of the victims have a blade-shaped bruise on their chests. All heard the rapist utter the words 'If you can't be hurt you can't be loved'. And all were told they would die if they went to the police.

Forensic physician Dr Anya Crichton is on the trail of a violent serial rapist. When two of the women are later found stabbed to death in apparently frenzied attacks, police suspicion immedialtely falls upon Geoffrey Willard, recently released from twenty years in prison for the brutal rape and murder of a fourteen year old girl.

Ooh looks good! Off to swap!

Now moving on to Without Consent by Kathryn Fox:

Sounds really horrific :censored: