Christian romance novel or something of the sort

I am searching for a book narrating a sentimental story, a story of a man and a woman of the same age knowing each other from their childhood (essential condition), and then falling in love and got married for living the rest of their life happy, but not like it would be in a standard romance novel or in a tearjerker. I want just a ‘normal life’ love story, something… very straight, without twisting and go away and come back, no burning passions, no other partners. In other words it should be a book about the life of two kind-hearted faithful persons loving each other in joy or sorrow, sickness or health, poverty or riches, honour and cherish as long as they both shall live.

Actually it’s been a long time since I started searching for it, but I couldn’t find anything of the kind.

The thing that makes your search a bit tricky is that most fiction books have to propel a story. It would be difficult to name a book where nothing actually happens aside from the loving relationship. That doesn't mean that a loving and faithful relationship cannot be at the heart of the story, just that without challenges, events or occurences of some kind, be they minor or significant, the story would probably appear 'empty'.

I will think about this some more, and come up with one or two titles that might be the kind of book you seek. :)

The thing that makes your search a bit tricky is that most fiction books have to propel a story. It would be difficult to name a book where nothing actually happens aside from the loving relationship. That doesn't mean that a loving and faithful relationship cannot be at the heart of the story, just that without challenges, events or occurences of some kind, be they minor or significant, the story would probably appear 'empty'.

I will think about this some more, and come up with one or two titles that might be the kind of book you seek. :)

I didn’t actually mean that there hasn’t to be a story. If there is an interesting one, it is even better. The love story can be the background or an underplot. The only thing I want is that the relationship has to be solid from the beginning to the end. I mean, no betrayals, no other partners for the main characters even before they get together. And also, they have to be childhood friends (preferably of the same age).

Can the book be in an historical context. The ones that come to mind are the Chronicles of Brother Cadfael. These are essentially whodunnits but usually in the background is an innocent love story of young people roughly the same age and some have been friends since childhood.

Just a thought .....

I'm sure there must be novels where childhood sweethearts grow old together but for the life of me I can't think of any (or any films with that kind of plot, for that matter).

Romantic stories usually have the "other man/woman" so that there is some dramatic tension before the inevitable revelation that the dependable, glasses-wearing best friend is actually the man/woman to father/have their children.

I can only think of the Anne of Green Gables series. There are a few moments of will they/wont' they get together, and the characters see other people beforehand, but because the stories were written a long time ago, it's all very innocent indeed. :)

Edited by Kylie

I can only think of the Anne of Green Gables series. There are a few moments of will they/wont' they get together, and the characters see other people beforehand, but because the stories were wrote a long time ago, it's all very innocent indeed. :)

I was thinking of this series as well, but the third book, Anne of the Island, made me pause. But they are really friends throughout, even when they sort of see other people. :)

• 4 weeks later...

The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak has a lovely married relationship between Liesel's foster parents. It's not really christian and they use some bad language but I enjoy the relationship because both parties have flaws but they complement each other. I think this is fairly true to life.

You may want to try researching Barbara Kingsbury's books. She writes mass amounts of Christian romance novels. I don't know about the content, but it must be really decent stuff because my grandmother, who is in her 80's, likes to read her books. Also, her favorite is Debbie Macomber, who also writes mass amounts of heart-warming type romance. Hope this helps.

Also try Beverly Lewis. I work in a bookstore and she is one our best Christian authors.

Oh, I forgot one of my all time favorites! Jan Karon, author of the Mitford series books. The stories are set in a little village in Georgia (United States). Its a series of books that center around a 60+ priest (I think he's Episcopalian). He finds himself in love with his neighbor who is an illustrator/author of childrens books. Very warm-hearted! His parishioners are quaky and loveable. I think you will love this series!

Edited by Katrina1968