First Editions...

Kell

I pinched this from Booking Through Thursday:

How about First Editions? Are they something special? Or “just another book” to you?

My answer:

It’s nice to have first editions, and I do have a few, but it’s not something that’s essential to me. I’m happy just to have the books I love, preferably as they are published, but it doesn’t matter to me if they are not firsts.

That said, some of my most prized books are signed first editions – mostly Terry Pratchett hardbacks.

Anyone else?

I'm not fussed on first editions. I just buy whatever book takes my fancy, which often ends up being at least an early edition because I buy a lot of older, secondhand books.

I wouldn't go out of my way to buy first editions, mostly because they're more expensive, and I would rather not have to worry quite so much about keeping them in good condition when I read them.

I'm not fussed on first editions. I just buy whatever book takes my fancy, which often ends up being at least an early edition because I buy a lot of older, secondhand books.

I wouldn't go out of my way to buy first editions, mostly because they're more expensive, and I would rather not have to worry quite so much about keeping them in good condition when I read them.

I agree I am not bothered really, I would love to get first editions but don't go out of my way to get them.

No it's not important to me to own any first editions to me the story is what matters. I don't hang on to books after I've read them (well maybe a few) so I wouldn't fork out extra just because it was a first edition :)

I half-heartedly collect different versions of John Wyndham's novels, and have a couple of first edition paperbacks (The Midwich Cuckoos and The Kraken Wakes).

I don't think either are worth anything, neither are in mint condition, but I'm pleased to have them.

I collect nice editions of books, but so far haven't been tempted to collect first editions.

The only fiction book I own that I am aware is a first edition is my paperback The Crimson Petal and the White, and I have a few theological books that I know are first editions (Reservoir of Power, Whose Life is it Anyway?, I'm Dying to Tell You, Forgotten Agenda?: Money, Work and Discipleship).

I collect First Editions of Peter Ackroyd and Jan Morris. It's fun and, if you choose your author right, not expensive. It depends on your reasons - I collect them because I love their books, and I'm an incurable collector, so it channels my addictive tendenceis down a reasonably affordable route!

But that's EVERY book you see!

You can get creams for just about everything these days!

I may admit that I have a problem, but I didn't say I want to do anything about it! :wink:

And there are a few books I have no interest in reading...

First editions are special because they mark the first time a novel gets shown to the world, and thus they represent something greater than the novel itself. I have a bunch of Stephen King firsts, though first editions don't really account for any great percentage of my collection. I do like signed copies, however, and have gone out of my way to get signed copies from even lesser-known authors - it's the personalization from the author which makes it different from "regular" copies. Not sure what it says about my psychology, but one of my most treasured signed books is a collection of superhero titles which was signed by one of the contributors to another of the contributors - which means it has double-pedigree, having been held by two individuals responsible for the creation of the collection.

Yes, I am incredibly pathetic...

Although It would be nice to own some First editions, I tend to carry my books in a rucksack and they do tend to get slightly battered. I don't see much point to it for that reason.

• 6 months later...

I think it would be a really nice thing to own first editions of your favourite books, just the same as if your very into films its nice to have film memorabilia or if your a big pottery fan you might pay a lot for a collectable piece. I really would love to have a first edition Terry Pratchett so very jealous! maybe once I'm not on a student budget I can :)

I think it would be amazing to own a first edition of something by one of my favorite authors, like Jane Austen, Tolkien, or Dickens. I think I might have a first edition of Tolkien's The Silmarillion and my mom gave my boyfriend a first edition of For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway, which is locked up in one of our firesafes.

I don't actively seek out first editions, but if I come across one from a favorite author or a book I really loved, then I get pretty excited about it. Right now I only have one, which is Rookery Blues by Jon Hassler, and it's signed. I used to have 3 others but I lost them in the fire :irked:.