Cricket

Kylie

Oh, thank goodness I won't be the only Aussie cricket fan! It gets a little daunting, especially when Australia is not doing well (which isn't often, thankfully ;)).

Still chuffed about the last ashes! Rarely get to say that..

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus, it can only be good natured ribbing from me as I think Australia produced the greatest cricketer ever, well, at least in my lifetime anyway, and I could never be mean to anyone on BCF

I must know the answer to this...have we discussed it before? There are just so many great Aussie cricketers that I'm not sure exactly which one you're referring to. :P

Although I am a die-hard Aussie fan, I do have my favourites amongst all the other teams (including England :P ), and will happily cheer them on...except if their team is playing Oz!

Say it ain't so! Oh wait, I rather like NZ's Daniel Vettori...not so much for his cricketing prowess though. :giggle:

Still chuffed about the last ashes! Rarely get to say that..

Yeah yeah, enjoy it while it lasts! :P We are too busy celebrating more recent victories (I think; I haven't actually been following their overseas exploits very much :lurker:).

I must know the answer to this...have we discussed it before? There are just so many great Aussie cricketers that I'm not sure exactly which one you're referring to. :P

You've got some "ok" players, I guess ;) but Shane Warne, oh my goodness, I still can't believe some of the balls he bowled. I was often dumbstruck for seconds then gibbering, "How ... what ... how ... HUH???" :lol: And still a bit gutted for him that he never got that test century.

Say it ain't so! Oh wait, I rather like NZ's Daniel Vettori...not so much for his cricketing prowess though. :giggle:

Daniel's nickname in our house is Tibby, as when he first started playing he looked just like the actor who played Tibby in the film of Howards End!

I never get tired of watching that first ball that Warney bowled to Gatting. The look on Gatting's face is priceless. :)

*sigh* I think my favourite Aussie cricketing days will always be those with Warne, Ponting, Gilchrist etc. I loved 'em all.

You sound just like my daughter! She has a fondness for Daniel Vettori's...err...not his cricketing talents. A similar story with Brett Lee. *rolls eyes* :P

Although her choice of favourite cricketer (Steve Waugh) does give me some sense of assurance that her prepubescent indoctrination into the world of cricket has her admiring more than a past or present players aesthetics, lol.

Daniel's nickname in our house is Tibby, as when he first started playing he looked just like the actor who played Tibby in the film of Howards End!

That made me literally lol!

*sigh* I think my favourite Aussie cricketing days will always be those with Warne, Ponting, Gilchrist etc. I loved 'em all.

I do so miss the 'Dominator' days with the Waughs, McGrath, Gilchrist, Hayden, Langer, Lee and co. Some great cricket...especially the Australia V's South Africa during the Oz summer. *sigh of reminiscence*

That ball was wasted on Gatting, though - you could just bowl straight at him and he'd be out :lol:

My favourites: Sir Ian, Shane Warne, Michael Holding, Kapil Dev, Viv Richards, Chris Old, Richard Hadley, Mike Proctor, and the one and only Derek Randall.

• 2 weeks later...

My favourites: ... Chris Old ...

Saw an article about him in the paper today - he's 63 now and working in a supermarket earning £6 an hour because the recession forced him to sell the fish and chip restaurant he and his wife owned :(

Classy act from England in the first test against the West Indies (started yesterday). Bowled them out for 243 with Stuart Broad picking up a good seven-wicket haul. Now Strauss proving some of the critics wrong with a patient 111 not out thus far. We just lost KP for 32 but it's 245-3 and a lead of two runs with about half an hour left of play on day two.

Edited by Ben

Another Aggers classic on Test Match Special just now. They'd received a text or tweet from a couple who were on honeymoon and listening to TMS. Cue Aggers turning to Sir Viv Richards:

Aggers: Did you listen to TMS on your honeymoon, Viv?

Viv: (laughs) No, but I did play against England the day after my wedding.

Aggers: Really? Did you get any? (pause) Runs, I mean.

:lol:

• 1 month later...

I do so miss the 'Dominator' days with the Waughs, McGrath, Gilchrist, Hayden, Langer, Lee and co. Some great cricket...especially the Australia V's South Africa during the Oz summer. *sigh of reminiscence*

As an England fan, I'm sad to say I miss those days too. It was back when I first got seriously into cricket, when those Australian greats were playing against us in the Ashes. It was so exciting to watch and so tense. I remember there always being fear and anticipation when we (or anyone) faced Australia as such great players were playing fantastically. I miss that but I'm sure there's plenty of great new talent coming from Australia (I haven't had the time to keep a proper track of things yet).

From what I've seen, we don't have anyone that will come close to replacing the 'Dominators' just yet. I could be wrong though; it's just that I don't think any cricketers will ever replace my love for Gilchrist and co.

Yep, it made for some dull cricket. You don't often hear people complain when their team always wins, but Australia certainly did (complain). Still, it wasn't their fault they had no competition!

• 10 months later...

Thought Alastair Cook hadn't been ruthless enough in not forcing the follow-on yesterday knowing the forecast today, but it just about worked out in the end and got the batsmen a bit of extra practice. We're looking in good shape in the run-in to the Ashes, and it's an exciting summer of cricket we have ahead of us.