Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always been tempted to try one of Claude Izner's books. I look forward to your thoughts.

I read Murder on the Eiffel Tower a year or two back. I found it hugely enjoyable. I must get around to reading some more Claude Izner too (actually Claude Izner is the psueudonym of two sisters) :) .

I'm about half way through Eye of the Red Tsar right now. Thoroughly enjoying it. The storyline is right up my street - conspiracy over the Romanov Executions and the early Stalin years.

Edited by SueK

I read Murder on the Eiffel Tower a year or two back. I found it hugely enjoyable. I must get around to reading some more Claude Izner too (actually Claude Izner is the psueudonym of two sisters) :) .

I'm really looking forward to it. The sisters are experts on 19th Century Paris too, so I'm looking forward to seeing how that's reflected in the novel. Hopefully starting it today, once I've finished my current book (100 pages to go!)

I've started Colin MacInnes' The London Novels, an omnibus of the three books he wrote in the late 50s - City of Spades, Absolute Beginners and Mr Love and Justice. I think many of my friends here know I'm partial to a bit of London low life.

This one's been bugging me for some time. I bought it in Blackwells in London on a rainy Monday afternoon in October five years ago, to cheer myself up - I'd just been made redundant - and it's been staring at me from the bookshelf ever since! To quote the blurb:

... this exciting omnibus explores a very different side of London life in the 1950s than is usually portrayed. His characters are colourful and real, painting vivid pictures of areas such as Brixton and Notting Hill at this time. The stories of friendship, love and life dance on a background of jazz and good times, as London's staid reputation progresses to that of a thriving multiracial capital. A man ahead of his time, MacInnes displayed the realities of 1950s London: an emerging teen culture, black immigration and the glamourisation of crime and criminals with remarkable insight and sympathy.

Not sure London's reputation was ever "staid", but still ...

Updated my reading list today with all the books I've finished recently:

Adventures on the High Teas by Stuart Maconie

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter

Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy by Ally Carter

The Recruit by Robert Muchamore

Class A by Robert Muchamore

Agatha Raisin: There Goes The Bride by M. C. Beaton

I've also started reading these two:

Notes From An Exhibition by Patrick Gale

Three Ways To Capsize A Boat by Chris Stewart

And I popped into the bookshop and bought:

Devoted Ladies by Molly Keane

Edited by chesilbeach

I started Dissolution by C.J. Sansom a few days ago, haven't had much time to read, but I know I'll enjoy it. Already do.

Tonight bought:

Tripwire by Lee Child

New York by Edward Rutherfurd

I finished 'Being Dead' by Jim Crace. An extraordinary book. A great read, although I am struggling to think to whom I could recommend this book

It's essentially a love story of death. The main characters are not particularly likeable, but you are drawn to them and their moments of poignancy. Their deaths and the days following are described in detail, but don't ever appear gratuitous or too grossly graphic, and the author has even created his own cultural references surrounding the mythology of death. Original and touching.

I had to laugh when I read this! :lol: So many many books at the Book Fair, and you are still having some arrive by post!

Told you, you are The Mistress Of Books. :giggle2:

Aw now, this book doesn't count! I pre-ordered it ages ago and it only happened to be sent to me before I went to the book fair. giggle.gif Mind you, I may have ordered another couple just before I went to the fair...lurker.gif

Yesterday my boss handed me a 1/3 inch thick packet of the new release books coming out over the next few months *facepalm* I've already highlighted which ones I'm getting right away. Yesterday's new release was the latest Richard Castle book and I'm plotting to bring it home with me today. I also got a couple more advanced readers copies free and bought 3 books (they were buy two get one free PLUS my 30% employee discount!) I got:

Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare

The Collective Works of Emily DIckinson

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

:)

Edited by CaliLily

Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare

Yay! :D

I'm annotating my copy of that (or at least I was, I've temporarily mislaid it somewhere in the house!) in preparation for reading it soon. I haven't seen the Leo DiCaprio (sp?) film version yet, which I've had on DVD for two years, so I must get on with it so I can read it, when I relocate it!

I'm half-way through The History of Love by Nicole Krauss, and I'm really enjoying it! :)

Janet, I love, love, loved the Baz Luhrmann (Leo) version of Romeo and Juliet. I hope you like it!

I'm in a book quandry, but for perhaps the first time in months it's over what to read, rather than what might get my mojo back! :D I'm a happy reader.

Yay! :D

I'm annotating my copy of that (or at least I was, I've temporarily mislaid it somewhere in the house!) in preparation for reading it soon. I haven't seen the Leo DiCaprio (sp?) film version yet, which I've had on DVD for two years, so I must get on with it so I can read it, when I relocate it!

Its Leo DiCaprio and Clare Danes, right? I haven't seen that movie version either and (sadly) It's been years since I've read any of Romeo and Juliet, and even then I only read snippets, never the whole thing cover to cover. :) The movie Letters to Juliet piqued my interest in it again (you MUST see it!!!)

I picked up a couple more books today at work (lol, gotta love it :D) 2 advanced readers that I'm actually going to be putting up as a giveaway on my blog later tonight. I'm hoping to finally finish Clockwork Angel tonight!

Oh I do know who the admirer is, and you'll be surprised when you read it

I am totally loving the new and improved Daddy Dexter too! Lily definitely brings out his human side, he's so adorable! Although, I hope he does some killing/protecting/justice too )

My electric was of until about half 3 yesterday. Mind you I didn't get much reading done either I spent all morning on my phone, went to the hospital in the afternoon only to be told I had got the wrong day and it was in fact today the appointment was for! So I have to back to the hospital again, today. I tell ya, my mind is going a lot sooner than anticipated!

I wasn't surprised at all, because I felt the exact same way!! Which was kind of surprising in itself if you know what I mean :lol: I have to tell you, the fifth Dexter was incredible, there were so many unexpected things. It's now officially my favorite Dexter novel :smile2:

Awww, sorry to hear you got the time of the appointment mixed up hun :friends0:At least I hope you remembered to go to the hospital the next day. And I hope everything's alright with you.

Yesterday I got the first Dexter book and the bookmark/bookplate that I won in a competition thanks to this lovely forum. I just wanted to say thanks again to everyone who was involved in the competitions

I started Dexter today and I love it already. I'm new to the show (having started watching at the end of season 3) but I can see why the show is such a success. I've only read 50+ pages and I can't put it down!

Congratulations Stephanie! And I'm really glad to hear you're enjoying the Dexter novel so much, yay!! :D

My competition prize arrived this morning - a signed copy of Waking The Witch by Kelley Armstrong along with a couple of Otherworld bookmarks. I can hardly wait to get started on it, but this weekend is chocka and I possibly won't get a chance till next week - Argh!

Haha, I think it only appropriate that of all the people you should win the Kelley Armstrong prize, knowing you're a big fan. Congratulations! :smile2:

I started and finished 'The Lost Symbol', Dan Brown's latest offering. As always an enjoyable tug along story, where you occasionally have to suspend you sense of belief/reality and just go with it.

The appeal of his books I believe lies in the symbols. we all love mystery and enigmatic hidden meanings and stuff. Dan Brown just wangles loads of them together in a rompng yarn.

Happy to hear you're enjoying the latest Langdon, I was pretty scared that no one likes it, not having heard any positive feedback on the novel before.

I finished Dexter is Delicious by Jeff Lindsay today and will start Waking The Witch by Kelley Armstrong this evening.

I hope you liked it all the way to the end? One of the most hilarious parts in it was when

Dexter was drugged and felt the love of everything and hooked up with that Samantha girl.

Priceless :haha:

The Raven is one of my favourite poems. I'm glad you enjoyed it too.

I haven't had any time to read in the last few days, but Frankie gave me two books yesterday:

Purge by Sofi Oksanen

The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren

They both look really interesting. Thanks Frankie!

You're welcome! I really hope you enjoy them :smile2:

I read a review of Purge in the weekend papers a couple of weeks ago, and put it on my list. It sounds a good one, but perhaps quite intense.

I definitely recommend it. I didn't get the book for Kylie only because it's a Finnish novel, but because it's an excellent novel.