Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

I've decided to give up on The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - The Whitechapel Horrors after this dialogue between Holmes and Wiggins of the Baker Street irregulars:

"Some sez 'e's a Jew w'iv a wild beard down 'is chest an some sez 'ees a butcher fwom da slaughter'ouses w'iv a l'edder h'apron, an' some sez 'ees a toff fwom da West H'end out to kill all da 'ores..." :doh:

Nuff said.........

I really should learn my lesson and just stick with the Master.

Edited by SueK

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Some sez 'e's a Jew w'iv a wild beard down 'is chest an some sez 'ees a butcher fwom da slaughter'ouses w'iv a l'edder h'apron, an' some sez 'ees a toff fwom da West H'end out to kill all da 'ores..." :doh:

Good grief, it's like Parker from Thunderbirds has turned up :lol:

Just read the first 100 pages of Lee Child's 61 Hours :)

Just read the first 100 pages of Lee Child's 61 Hours :)

I have that next had to get it out of the library as I am economising :( so I am breaking up the order of the books as soon as I have finished my current one which I nearly have - One Shot...oh that Jack Reacher he is omnipotent :lol:

oh that Jack Reacher he is omnipotent :lol:

:lol:

I don't think it matters what order you read them in - but you'd know that better than me as you've read more of them :)

I think One Shot was the one they were going to turn into a movie, but it seems to be stuck in 'Development Hell', hence the continuing debate about who would play Reacher. It's also one that I haven't read. I'll get through them eventually, but I won't be getting any more of the paperbacks, I don't think, I'll get the Kindle editions instead to save some shelf space :)

Abandoned the short story collection by Gene Wolfe.

I have enjoyed his novels so far, but I did not like his short stories at all.

I'm going to try The Shack by Wm. Paul Young next.

I don't think it matters what order you read them in - but you'd know that better than me as you've read more of them :)

I think One Shot was the one they were going to turn into a movie, but it seems to be stuck in 'Development Hell', hence the continuing debate about who would play Reacher. It's also one that I haven't read. I'll get through them eventually, but I won't be getting any more of the paperbacks, I don't think, I'll get the Kindle editions instead to save some shelf space :)

Well I guess you can see why they would turn this one into a movie but I don't think its his best...I need to get shelves for the 6 teetering piles I have next to my current bookshelves, its when they crash over in ther middle of the night and I wake up convinced I am about to be murdered thats spuring me on :lol: ...a whole house and I still don't have room for all my books...come on payday :irked: I popped home at lunchtime but didn't manage to finish it yet but think I will go straight onto 61 hours after.

I am currently reading The Behaviour of Moths by Poppy Adams and I bought this evening in Tesco's ~ The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot :bookworm:

Was a bit distracted during my lunch break today, and couldn't concentrate on Never Let Me Go, so I decided to read the sample I downloaded of Gilead by Marilynne Robinson, but despite my reservations, I was completely won over by the narrators voice, and will definitely be buying to read the whole book.

I've read another 50 pages of The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test today and have about 60 more to go. I think I'll devote some time to Riddley Walker today, because I've been neglecting it recently.

^Happy reading Kylie and everyone :):bookworm:

I am halfway through 'The Behaviour of Moths' by Poppy Adams, I have read mixed reviews about it, I'm not over enthused about it but its readable :)

I'm restarting The Beginning of Spring by Penelope Fitzgerald after stopping for that Sherlock Holmes parody - fortunately the SH story was a library book so that's going back tomorrow.

Anyone here a Penelope Fitzgerald fan?

Currently reading The Body Thief by Anne Rice and enjoying it so far trying finish before the end of the month but only half way through. Have to get my Reacher books stocked up the next one I have toget is Gone Tomorrow and all the rest that come after:)

I need to get shelves for the 6 teetering piles I have next to my current bookshelves, its when they crash over in ther middle of the night and I wake up convinced I am about to be murdered thats spuring me on :lol: ...

Yeah, but it'll be worse when the shelves crash down in the middle of the night because of the weight of all those books on them :o

I'm about halfway through 61 Hours. It's a bit of a return to form, I think. :)

Yeah, but it'll be worse when the shelves crash down in the middle of the night because of the weight of all those books on them :o

I'm about halfway through 61 Hours. It's a bit of a return to form, I think. :)

Agreed, also about halfway through 61 hours bet you finish before me though as I am out tonight :) . might not be abole to resist buying another one if I use my waterstones points it means I have technically already paid for it and doesn't count as spending before payday:wink:

Still reading 'The Island' but will have to stop it again! to start a bookcrossing bookring that arrived today.

Runemarks by Joanne Harris......doesn't look like my usual kind of read, gobilins and magic and Norse myths, but I have like Joanne Harris in the past so will give it a go.