Do you read magazines often?

I sometimes take a peek at whatever magazines my mother has lying about the house, but I hardly ever actually buy one myself - I only page through them once or twice and then throw them away, so what's the use? However, I have been on the hunt for good art orientated magazines lately, as I need to keep in touch with what's new in the art world due to my studies and buying an art book every month would ruin me financially.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. I never read a magazine. Haven't really in years. I mean, I don't think they're worth what they cost. They're so expensive! Plus most of them don't really interest me.. or what's in them I could read online. IF I would read anything it's Metal Hammer, National Geographic too, or ehh.. no that's it. I hate gossip magazines, and the glamour and fashion ones.. well usually I don't like the stuff in them. I'll stick to books. :D

I used to buy Cosmopolitan every month, now I buy it occasionally, but every article seems to come round again after about a year so I am thinking of stopping doing even that.

I also occasionally read More because someone at work buys it every week and brings it in when she's done, but I never read it all the way through, just anything that takes my interest.

I don't really read magazines but I have in the past. The cost is a factor plus most don't have any interest for me. There's also the worry what to do with all that paper. My exposure these days is limited to what I can peruse in the library or what I can read in waiting rooms. I do occasionally get a sewing and craft magazine since that's tied to my hobbies. Magazines are faster than books though. They can be more up-to-date since the time between input, editing and publishing is short where as a book can take years sometimes. The internet is fastest but there's so much information you have to scrutinise it for genuinity plus fact and fiction can get mixed up. You can also subscribe to e-papers and e-magazines online these days.

I only really buy magazines if I fancy a coffee in town, or if I'm on a train. I sometimes pick up Psychologies but that is becoming less and less. I used to pick up Cosmo/Glamour but there is so much stuff about fashion/adverts in there (none of which I'm really interested in) so I don't bother anymore - I'd only ever buy it to pass the time.

Rob picks up SFX sometimes so I have a peek at that, and we usually get the paper each day.

If I am buying a magazine it tends to be a cookery one but i do like to dip into my mums she usually has country living and house and garden. she also gets a lot of Spanish magazines like Hola the spanish version of Hello, its hilarious to see what the spanish celbs are up to and how different they are to the ones in the UK if you ever want to see some a wierd looking bunch google La duquesa de Alba she is one of the richest women in Spain but looks like complete nutter...she is always in it i never know who half the people are but they are always bull fighters and tv people.

I'm a huge fan of magazines, probably because my parents are. My dad received a subscription to Newsweek as a gift from his father in 1968 and has been subscribing ever since. So, I grew up reading that, plus food magazines (like Bon Appetit) and home decor magazines (like Traditional Home, which they still get).

When I got old enough, like 13 or so, I got a subscruption to YM, which I preferred to Seventeen, and would buy copies of Rolling Stone. Since I'be been an adult, I've subscribed to various fashion and home decorating magazines, but the only ones I subscribe to are Victoria (which is my favorite), Country Living, Shape, and body+soul (a great natural living magazine). I'll sometimes buy Elle or Lucky, but I'm not much into fashion magazines anymore.

My boyfriend gets car magazines, like Sport Compact Car and Honda Tuning, but he generally just reads magazines online.

I don't buy many magazines, and certainly never buy any gossips rags like Heat, Closer or Reveal (not worth the paper they're printed on). However, I do like to buy The Big Issue as often as I can - there is a regular seller in Wolverhampton town centre who I try to buy it from. My husband picked up a free magazine for me the other day, because there was a Jeff Bridges interview in it (he's my favourite actor) and I said it was a pretty good read, so he said he would try and get one for me every week. I'll occasionally buy a film magazine, but only if there's a feature on an actor or film I'm particularly interested in.

I do enjoy reading magazines, and would read more if they weren't so expensive! I like the New Scientist, The Economist, National Geographic (although more for the photography than the articles, although they too are usually very good), In Style, Period Home, and Grazia. I tend to take out subscriptions just to try and keep the cost down.

The only magazine I buy is Empire. It's just a monthly treat. Waiting to see what's on the new cover.

Other than that I don't buy any. The ones that I find mental are the ones with collectibles or bits of a model you build up. The first one always costs 99p and then every other issure costs

I do like magazines but like many people after totally up how much I was spending on them I have cut down completely. I now try to limit myself to one a month, and then only if I really think that more than one article will be of interest to me. I particularly like Red, Good Food and Zest. Often one of these will be nearly as expensive as buying myself a book so I often talk myself out of it:mrgreen:

• 3 weeks later...

I used to buy typical women's magazines like Cosmopolitan and Glamour but after a year abroad I've decided that my interests have changed and don't really find them interesting anymore.

I've often bought 'Psychologies' which is my guilty pleasure I guess! I'm genuinely interested people, and how they tick!

I also buy travel magazines and .... gulp.... have caught myself looking at nature/wildlife magazines. I must be getting old!! :D

I am supposed to be cutting back on my magazines here but I cant seem to do it and they seem to call out my name whenever they come out..smiley-ashamed002.gif

My choice of magazines are...delicious,AusGoodFood,UKGoodFood,Donna Hay & Good Taste...all food/cooking mags.

Up until about a year ago I was probably more likely to read a magazine than a book. I'm not sure how or why that happened. Possibly because I used to do most of my reading on the tube, and I was finding it harder and harder to concentrate in that environment.

I've hardly bought any magazines since I re-discovered the joy of books, though, and now I always seem to have a novel close to hand. It does help that I don't have to travel on the tube at the moment.

The only mags I read are trade ones connected with my beauty therapies.

Otherwise, I can buy a decent book for the price of some of the glossies.:D

• 2 weeks later...
I do remember reading more magazines when I was a teenager though. I remember we had a store that sold a few British magazines, I wish could remember the names... Then they stopped selling them and I started frequenting this 7/11 kind of thingie and moaned to the owner how they didn't have those magazines, and then she started ordering a couple of issues of those magazines every month, just for me ;) She even gave me a candybar once because I was such a happy customer :) Those were the days!

Yay, I found a stack of these magazines when I was going through my stuff at my parents house this weekend. Loads of issues of Sugar, from 1997 to 1998 :D I remember they used to have all these creepy 'real life stories' and now, looking at the cover on one of those magazines I was right: there are stories such as "I've got two wombs", "The day I found a body" and "My boyfriend was a girl". Good times ahead for me! :)