Books For 1 Year Olds

Highly recommend Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown.

When I first got it I thought it looked terribly old-fashioned and garish with the colours and thought the rhyme was just silly. But I'll tell you, my twins really took to it. And as I started reading it to them I could see how it "worked", and I've fallen in love with it. I had the thing memorised by the time they were one, I had read it that often. At 22 months they still like listening to it.

I've found lift the flap/peekaboo books worked well from when they were around a year. Dear Zoo is great for that, and DK has a series of peekaboo books that are good (Playtime Peekaboo, Bathtime Peekaboo, etc). The "That's not my... Puppy/Plane/Kitty/Lion..." (there are loads of different titles) are excellent. I also read them Each Peach Pear Plum, but they appreciate it a little more now that they are that bit older.

I don't know what country you are in, but I was given a subscription to Babybug magazine (it's an American publication although mine is shipped to me in the UK), and that is also excellent for a variety of baby/toddler geared stories and poems.

Goodnight Moon is AWESOME - it was Xan's favourite for AGES.

Guess How Much I Love You is also lovely - Xan loves that one at bedtime.

Check out the Ladybird Books fairytales series - we have several of those which Xander loves. Also the Spot books - especially ones that have flaps to lift (he loves Where's Spot?).

Mick Inkpen does some lovely ones - have a look at the Wibbly Pig books- some of those have flaps to lift.

The That's Not My... books are lovely touchy-feely ones.

Dear Zoo is also a fab one for getting little ones to recognise animals and it, too, has flaps to lift.

Hi, thanks alot... I loved the spot books when I was little and id totally forgotten about them till you all just reminded me! Definitely going to get those. And the other sound like good suggestions... so I'll check them out :D maybe take him with me and let him look and pick what he likes lol (it works in toy shops so worth a try!)

Pippo...although you'll have to go to Amazon, they aren't published anymore. I loved them when I sas little and got my niece one which she likes too. And I agree with the That's my... books too. Helen Oxenbury is always worth a look too.

I am mum to a 3 and a 2 year old. My little ones started off reading Thats not My series, they have a kitten one, train one etc, and they are touchy feely ones which babies and toddlers love. I really don't think that it matters though what you read to them, they just enjoy hearing your voice, so any board book/picture book will be fine.

Edited by joe