Who loves The Classics?

WooWoo

Hmmm, Define "classics". Just because they've stood the test of time, as it were, doesn't mean everyone will like it.. Taste is highly individual, so some will appeal, and some not. I don't think just because a book is classified classic everyone will either love or hate it. There is always that gray area. The styles are different, as is the prose. Same as any other time period, yes?

• 7 months later...

"For what are the classics but the noblest thoughts of man? - Henry David Thoreau.

Oldest wisdom written in books all piled up somewhere, no one even bothers to read. Indefinite sadness.

Here are some books I'd like to suggest: Family Happiness, The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy, Walden and other writings by Hnery David Thoreau. God, and a lot more. I haven't read any of Dante's books though. I'll try reading one during the holidays.

Cheers!

"For what are the classics but the noblest thoughts of man? - Henry David Thoreau.

Oldest wisdom written in books all piled up somewhere, no one even bothers to read. Indefinite sadness.

Here are some books I'd like to suggest: Family Happiness, The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy, Walden and other writings by Hnery David Thoreau. God, and a lot more. I haven't read any of Dante's books though. I'll try reading one during the holidays.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a friend who loves japanese animations and those really shallow mary sue novels(as well as creating mary sue novels herself) , and is a justin bieber fan and loves k pop, so it seems rather weird for me when i discovered she is also a lover of the classics. You see, everyone around you can be reading the classics.

• 1 month later...

Personally, I can't stand many of the "classics"! The Jane Austen types... Proper romancin' and such. Although this probably extends to modern works of romance as well!

Other than that, the classics are wonderful. Turn of the Screw, Island of Dr. Moreau, Candide, Don Quixote -- timeless! I was not overly enthralled by the many modern "classics" such as Gatsby, Catcher, and the like. Of Mice and Men... I've tried rereading them after they were blundgeoned into my head during those joyous school days; still to no avail. Overall I'd say I keep about the same ratio of likes/dislikes, regardless of whether the book is classic or not.

I have recently started to read more classics although I have read many in the past. I really enjoy them, but they are so time consuming compared to other books. My favorite feeling when reading a classic book is connecting with other generations. You can feel why a book is a classic when you read it. At the same time, there are classics that I read that I never get that feeling for. 

• 1 month later...
  • 9 years later...