Audio Books/CDs For Kids

catwoman

Ok so as you know I get quite a few audio books for my kids. My oldest as some of you know is dyslexic and we use them to get him to read when at home.

We also take some of them in the car when we go for days out, if we decided not to have some music on in the car.

We are going away over the next few weeks, and I have decided that I want to get soem really good audio CDs. I don't mean just some really good books that the kids would love but also I want the audio books to be engaging and not just spoken in some monotone voice.

We do have like most people have in their collections, I have some of the Harry Potter series. I kow he has the Prisioner of Azkaban. Which is told by Steven Fry I have heard a little bit and he utterly loves them!

He also has some of the Doctor Who ones, which are told by David Tennant. I love these hehe. I wander why, :giggle: and they keep my son utterly amused also.

He also loves the Horrible HIstories audio Books and his one from the hit TV Show Robin Hood.

He does have some others that I have forgotten but any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Oh by the way we have started to get into the Series of Unfortunate events because they are read by Tim Curry hehe. :blush:

CW

You can get Wolf Brother by Michelle Paver on CD read by Sir Ian McKellan. If you have access to iTunes, you can still get it as a free podcast in 14 episodes which you should be able to burn onto CD to take in the car, or would at least give you the change to listen to it and see if you like it before buying.

My OH loved the audio version as well as the book, but I must admit I've only read the book (which I loved), however, I can imagine McKellan is a fantastic narrator.

I was going to say Dr Who but you already have them but then I remembered Philip Pullman's Dark Materials, the BBC did a fantastic adaptation thats not just a read book. and I remember when listening to The Wind Singer by William Nicholson part of a trilogy (sorry don't know if the trilogy has a name) and that was really good and I have just checked it is also available in an audio book.

Oh wow! I totally forgot about the Dark Materials series I think he would really like that series.

as for downloading from Itunes. How confusing haha. :huh:

I think I have downloaded the wolf brother. Does it automatically downlaod all the podcasts?

Edited by catwoman

I picked up at little leaflet at my library yesterday saying that you can "borrow" audiobooks via download from the library website for free now, haven't tried it yet but could be worth a look? Not sure if all libraries are doing it, we are Surrey libraries here.....

The UK version of the Lemony Snicket books is read by Tim Curry, who is just awesome. If your oldest is into that kind of thing at all, the UK version of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (read by Stephen Fry) and four sequels (read by the equally brilliant, if in an entirely different way, Martin Freeman) is magnificent.

I bought my friends kids Roald Dahl's The Twits/George's Marvellous Medicine/ Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on CD by way of introduction. They loved them.

My son had all the Roald Dahl's on tape and listened to them at bedtime.

For older kids what about Terry Pratchett's Discworld??

Edited by Coffin Nail

• 2 months later...

I'm always recommending them but Steven Pacey reading the Bartimaeus trilogy is fantastic (or as they are individually The Amulet of Samarkand, The Golems Eye, and Ptolemy's Gate.) Brilliant stories brilliantly read. Nathaniel Parker is also great at reading the Artemis Fowl books.