Sherlock

Raven

Thanks for that :) I have read some, but not all of the original stories.

I also hope Moriarty is dead, because I prefer the shows without him, although like you, I don't dislike the interpretation of him. I just prefer Sherlock solving other people's mysteries, rather than dealing with his own issues!

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's perfectly possible that they can do another series with Moriarty dead, and I'm convinced he is; would be unrealistic to bring him back. It'd have to be something very clever to deceive us all after we watched him blow his brains out after all. I'm actually inclined to believe a series without him involved would be just as good - even though unlike some, I did enjoy their interpretation of him.

I've really enjoyed this series, I thought as usual it was well-acted and well-scripted, and I thought the finale was utterly brilliant. In any case, good old Moffat announcing on Twitter that they commissioned series three at the same time as series two (I believe his direct words involved 'gotcha' :giggle: ), ensures us of the fact that we're not quite done with this awesome tv series just yet. Yay!

Edited by Ben

Hi Ben

I like Andrew Scott as Moriarty, and especially when he was pretending to be 'Richard Brook' - very clever! But I also think that a series without him might be even more enjoyable. As you say, it would have to be something pretty auspicious to suddenly have him not be dead!

Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are just perfect in this series, and bounce off each other so well. There's something about Benedict Cumberbatch; he's not conventionally handsome, but he is so striking. He has something about him that makes you look twice. Very attractive man, even if I am jealous of his cheekbones!! Great supporting cast as well - Rupert Graves, Una Stubbs, Loo Brearley...all play their parts so well.

I have loved this series, just wonderful, and I

blubbed utterly at sherlock's funeral, despite KNOWING that a third series had already been announced

I think this is solely based on the exceptional understated acting by Mr Freeman.

Clever writing, exceptional acting from all parties, and a soft spot for Mr Moriarty as he has been ~ don't you just love a nutter? :D

I completely missed the 2nd series due to being on hols. I won't have time to catch up with them all on iPlayer but would you suggest I watch the last one only or do I need to see them in sequence to get the drift?

Well....you probably don't need to see the first two to understand the final one, but I would recommend watching them, because they were both brilliant :) If time is a factor, then just watch the last one. You absolutely HAVE to see the last one!

Edited by Ruth

I completely missed the 2nd series due to being on hols. I won't have time to catch up with them all on iPlayer but would you suggest I watch the last one only or do I need to see them in sequence to get the drift?

Chris Evans was encouraging people to watch it on the iplayer but he recommended that you watch the second one first, the first one second and the last one last - I have to say I completely see where he is coming from, but I also agree with Ruth if you only have time to watch one then make it the last one.

My daughter and I came up with the same theories as outlined above, including

Mollie's involvement, the cadaver and the strategically placed skip.

According to R2, Moffat announced on Twitter last night that there will definitely be a third series - hurrah! :D

Yes I agree with your theory.

I absolutely loved the last episode to this series, with all its twists and turns. I know some of you aren't fans of Moriarty, but I think that he's a fantastic villian. In my opinion, Moriarty is the epitome of the classic film/book villian. He matches Sherlock's intelligence, but uses it for evil rather than good. Also I love his arrogance for some reason. I can't wait for series 3!

There's something about Benedict Cumberbatch; he's not conventionally handsome, but he is so striking. He has something about him that makes you look twice. Very attractive man, even if I am jealous of his cheekbones!! Great supporting cast as well - Rupert Graves, Una Stubbs, Loo Brearley...all play their parts so well.

I think he's utterly gorgeous! *swoon* So does my 14 year old! He has a look of his mother about him, especially round the eyes!

I absolutely loved the last episode to this series, with all its twists and turns. I know some of you aren't fans of Moriarty, but I think that he's a fantastic villian. In my opinion, Moriarty is the epitome of the classic film/book villian. He matches Sherlock's intelligence, but uses it for evil rather than good. Also I love his arrogance for some reason. I can't wait for series 3!

I know a lot of people didn't, but I also liked Moriarty... or rather, I liked the actor's portrayal of him. But Sherlock was always going to outsmart him!

I think he's utterly gorgeous! *swoon* So does my 14 year old! He has a look of his mother about him, especially round the eyes!

I know a lot of people didn't, but I also liked Moriarty... or rather, I liked the actor's portrayal of him. But Sherlock was always going to outsmart him!

Oh of course and I would always want Sherlock to outsmart Moriarty, despite their similarities.

I also find Benedict Cumberbatch strangely attractive. His angular cheekbones and curly hair, make him seem like he is from another era.

Chris Evans was encouraging people to watch it on the iplayer but he recommended that you watch the second one first, the first one second and the last one last - I have to say I completely see where he is coming from, but I also agree with Ruth if you only have time to watch one then make it the last one.

That would make a certain scene in the second episode a bit confusing, I think.

I.e. the final scene where Moriarty is in the prison cell

Well I did manage to watch Part 3 on iPlayer last night and thought it was just amazing. So clever with the technology. I wonder if Sir Arthur would have used such information if it were at his fingertips at the time.

Reading through the comments and re-winding the last 10 minutes does seem to suggest it was so well staged - I wonder if we would have noticed all that was going on just by watching it once on the TV.

I won't have time to watch the other two parts before iPlayer take it off so will watch the repeats later in the year.

I really need to stop spending all my time running over the different theories and possibilites, but I can't help thinking that what we've mostly mentioned before can't just be the solution. Moffatt is clever and I'm convinced he will have something up his sleeve. Probably something someone has thought of, but things seem too simple. Also, this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2012/jan/20/steven-moffat-sherlock-doctor-who

What a tease.

Don't know if this has been mentioned before:

"CBS has picked up a new detective drama pilot, described as a modern-day take on Sherlock Holmes.

Elementary will transport Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's detective to present-day New York."

http://www.digitalsp...lmes-pilot.html

Oh dear ...

According to the writers, it seems we have all missed an important clue! Well I've been trying to ponder this and I can only think that in the original Watson didn't see Holmes fall to his death at Reichenbach Falls - it was assumed. Are we to make something of that do you think. Was it some sort of illusion as far as Watson was concerned. Oh dear, this is going to drive me mad until series 3.

I'm certain that it was Sherlock himself that jumped/fell due to several reasons:

1. We see his standing on the ledge with the phone to his ear (a bit hard to stage a dead body in that position!).
  2. We then see him drop/throw down the phone before leaning forward off the building.
  3. We see part of his descent (although there is a break between the start of his descent and his landing).
  4. The grafitti on the wall that reads "All the King's horses and all the King's men" (it would point towards a "great fall" of the main character, in this case Sherlock, rather than Humpty Dumpty). I didn't spot this bit - it was mentioned on the radio,however, I DID spot the grafitti near the Baker Street flat that says "IOU" which definitely caught my eye at the time.

All the other points on my theory I have already mentioned in a previous post and I stand by them, but here's a bullet pointed list to clarify some of them:

• Sherlock was always several steps ahead and knew that Rich Brook was the anglicised Reichenbach, so he set up his end game far ahead of time.
  • He knew that the "final solution" had to end in the death of both Moriarty and himself. If Moriarty hadn't blown his brains out on the rooftop, Sherlock himself woul dhave killed him, after all he did state he would do "whatever it takes."
  • The faked death plot point was used by Irene Addler in A Scandal in Belgravia.
  • He told Molly what he needed was HER. She works in the morgue. It would be a simple thing for her to switch bodies in the morgue and replace Sherlock's "body" with that of Moriarty from the roof (with Sherlock's help, as he is obviously alive and well). The whole "You are me!" quip from Moriarty would be a clue in this direction.
  • The onlookers and cyclist are all hired actors (the plot point we've seen from "Rich Brook" being a hired actor).

Additional theory:

The girl screamed when she saw Sherlock, not because Moriarty had worn a mask during their capture, but because he had drugged them with the same hallucinagenic used in The Hounds of Baskerville and used a form of post-hypnotic suggestion on them during this state along with photographs of Sherlock to make them/her react that way to him. We already know Moriarty is capable of using horrid substances on the children as he poisoned them with mercury.

• 4 months later...

Yes, I know I am two years late watching this series but you know I don't have a TV.....I got to watch the first 3 episodes last night all at once. My 15 year old daughter is hooked on it. I gather there has been a second series made since then. The Cumberbatch bloke was OK I guess but Martin Freeman as Watson really irritated me.

ohmy.png

well I supposed we can't all enjoy the same things

but still ohmy.png

Sorry Easy Reader. He just seemed too bumbling and always one step behind. I would expect Watson to be more on the ball and be more of a partner to Sherlock, to complement him more, anticipate him a bit (as he did in the first episode, and saved Shelock's bacon) rather than just another dimwit who can't keep up.

• 7 months later...

I love Sherlock and love the casting of both of the main characters as well as secondary characters including Moriarty. 

I really enjoy the series and looking forward to the explanation in the new series of how Sherlock evaded death.  Just wish there was less time between series.