How many languages do you know?

hey_books

hey

i thought it would be interesting to start a thread about how many languages you can speak. reading a book in its original language is much more exciting than reading a traduction( which does not mean that it is not good, i read a lot of traductions :()

so here is my list:

1. Luxembourg ( i'm from luxembourg)

2. French

3. German

4. English

5. Italian ( i started learning it 2 years ago, so i'm not that fluent :D )

I still remember a small amount of schoolgirl French - enough to just about get by and also understand Eddie Izzard when he does sections of his shows in French. :D

I used to be semi-fluent in Turkish but have forgotten almost every word of it apart from counting to 4, saying thank you, and asking "where is the bathroom?"

I can say at least one swear word in at least a dozen languages thoughand often another word or two as well, but nothing to constitute actual understanding of conversations in any of them.

Ooh, and I can say, "Hello! My name is Kell" in Japanese. :(

In school I took 3 years of Spanish, 1 year of French, German, Latin and Greek and had a Kyrgyzstan schoolmate tutor me in Russian (in exchange for me tutoring her in Spanish). I have books for Italian but haven't really given it much effort beyond the common phrases.

I'd never consider myself fluent in any of them, but I can carry on a decent conversation in Spanish.

I did 5 years of French and one of German at school, and then I took evening classes in Swedish for two years and Italian for two years, plus a year of French.

Can get by in French, but remember very little of the others, however, if I go through the text books I have for any of them, I usually pick it up again pretty quickly.

I know English and only a little bit of Spanish and French.

I didn't do very well in school learning new languages because of my social anxiety. :D

I would love to learn Latin and Greek.

Well English is my first language but my mum is Spanish I am pretty fluent in that and can read books in it although I don't get the practice I used to. I learnt French in school but its pretty basic nowdays. I lived in Germany when I was younger and was pretty fluent but these days its more able to understand affect an extremely camp german accent :D (which is better than my German friends)

English is my first language but I did German GCSE at school and can remember basic words and sentences. I would love to be fluent in another language, I would've liked to continue my German studies but my college didn't do the course.

I'm not fluent in it Abby, but I can read it OK. I learnt it from the Baby-Sitter Club books. :D

I learnt some French and Japanese at school but I only really remember some numbers and introductions.

Oesday nyoneaay lseeay peaksay igpay atinlay?

Iay seduay otay peaksay tiay ithway ymay riendsfay niay hetay atelay ineteennay eventiesay utbay Iay avehay otnay seduay tiay orfay anymay earsyay! Eway nlyoay utpay naay aay noay hetay ndeay houghtay, otnay naay yaay! :D

I'm only fluent in English, unfortunately.

I can speak enough French to make myself understood, but only with basic words - my grammar is rubbish. I haven't studied French since I left school in 1982. I'd love to do it at Evening class one day. :lol:

Well, there is my native tongue, Icelandic, and I'd also like to consider myself pretty fluent in English. Danish I could be fluent at but I'm somehow shy when speaking in the language - although I have no trouble whatsoever reading in it. I can easily read and understand a book in all of the above.

I know some French as well, enough to understand the main subject of general conversations oftentimes, and to maintain a pretty easy conversation as well - but I have not tried reading a French novel and considering I've only been learning school-French for about two years, I doubt I'd be able to understand very much. :D

I'm only fluent in English. I spent 2 years learning French, 5 learning Spanish, 1 studying (not really learning) Latin, about 13 studying Irish and I have a Japanese.... thingy. You know. Audio lesson thingy. And all I speak is English.

I could certainly get by in Irish and probably Spanish, but I couldn't read novels or watch tv shows in those languages.

I learned a little bit of French in high school, but not much has remained. Also, surprisingly, I've picked up a bit of Japanese by watching so much anime. I've actually dreamed in Japanese! Addicted? No way!

Obviously English is my first language, I did 7 years of French at school (up to A Level) and I was actually pretty good, but it's been years since I spoke it and I can't remember much! I've been learning Spanish for 2 years and I'm currently tackling the first Harry Potter book in Spanish. I have to look up quite a lot of words, but I can generally get the gist of what is going on.

English, badly.

I could read, write and speak a little Hebrew, and less Persian. But haven't had a chance to sit and study recently (too much television to not watch and just flick through the channels, it's time consuming.)

I'm ashamed to say that I only speak one, English. I do know very basic German and a little bit of French, both of which I did at school, but it is very, very basic. It's certainly not enough to be able to hold a conversation in it.

I would like to learn sign language though.