Dust Jackets

Hey guys. I was just sorting through some of my books and noticed that several of the dust jackets are ripped or looking really worn. What are your thoughts on them? Are they worth keeping if damaged or do you ever throw the dust jackets away?

I don't tend to read hardbacks but where it's been unavoidable (Harry Potter, the Harry Patch autobiography I wanted to read for an exam, Stephen Fry in America...) I always take the dust jackets off and store them somewhere.

I know that books with dust jackets tend to be worth more to collectors, so I guess they're worth hanging on to, just in case.

I could not throw them away even if damaged, purely for sentimental reasons. i tent to take the jackets off while reading, as I am now doing with The Passage.

Oh, keep them please! It's true, there is more value, even with a slightly damaged dust jacket. Besides, I always love to remember the cover art of a book.

When I buy a hardback from Amazon Marketplace, I never buy one that is missing a dust jacket. I'll buy one that is minimally damaged though.

You can scotch tape them on the inside, very carefully to align the sides on the front. Makes it look better.

Dust jacket?

What's a dust jacket?

*Pixie, the paperback queen looks around, confused* :roll:

:lol: I've never been a big fan of paperbacks because they get banged up in my purse.

I think I'll try and tape the damaged covers back together, though there are a couple beyond repair :( They are pretty, but I've just never liked the feel of them for some reason.

I like to keep them, but if they're in bad shape, I'll usually try to either mend them with tape or take them off while I'm reading.

I tend to avoid hardbacks because I fret over ruining the dust jacket (among other reasons). But for the books I own that have dust jackets, I remove them when I read and store them in a safe place.

As Pontalba said, it's better to keep even a damaged dust jacket. I have a hardback Shel Silverstein that has no dust jacket and the cover is just dark blue and a bit tatty in itself. I wish it had a dust jacket because the cover of the book was quite pretty.

I adore hardback books, and if I had the choice every book I own would be hardback. I love a pretty dustcover, but the best kind of book IMO will be a nicely coloured hardback with gilt lettering and possibly a light design, with a beautiful, high quality dustjacket. I always take the dustjacket off as soon as I buy the book, and my dustjackets are all kept together in a pile, each tucked inside the one after it. To me, a pretty dustjacket is the equivilant of a movie poster - not necessary to OWN, but when done well, an artistic compliment to the story. My favourite one is the one on 'The Tree Of Seasons' by Stephen Gately.

tos.jpg

I mean, just look at that. How could anyone not want that? It's beautiful.

ETA: I skipped your main question, didn't I? Dustjackets are not so essential, for me, that I would hold onto a tatty one. In fact I'd rather dump a tatty one and have just the book, if the book is in good condition. But that said, I look after all my dustcovers as I would any of my art or posters. In the case of some books, the book itself is prettier than the dustcover - I managed to get a very cheap vintage copy of the Winnie The Pooh reprint from the 1960's, JUST because the (horrid) dustjacket was all torn. The book itself is perfect, and the cover of the book is beautiful (red, with a slightly soft Winnie on the front). So in that case, I just dumped the dustjacket.

Edited by Nollaig

It is, it's absolutely gorgeous. I adore my 'Oscar Wilde: A Life In Letters' one too, because the book is plain black with gold writing, but the dustcover is a beautiful sepia toned photograph of Oscar himself - I'm not keen on books with photos printed directly on the cover, but now I have a lovely picture of Oscar in addition to a lovely hardback of his letters.

Like others, I always remove the dust jacket whilst reading a book so it doesn't get damaged. If the dust jacket isn't in the best shape, I'd rather repair it than go without. Unless it's a particularly pretty spine/cover in it's own right :roll:.

I very rarely buy hardback books but when I do I remove the dust jacket and store it in a plastic wallet in a ring binder with the others. The book looks much better on the shelf without the dust jacket and I always end up creasing or tearing them while reading (but never damage a paperback or 'unclothed' hardback!) so I paradoxically have a better condition book by removing the protection.

Prissy Princess of Preservation that I am, I would never throw any component of a book away; I find DJ's annoying though so I take them off while reading and put them back on prior to storage. Carefully removed DJs will still manage to acquire creases even when lying on top of other books as soon as your back is turned however, which vexes me greatly.

What I don't understand is why they don't just all print covers straight onto the hardback, it looks so prettiful and doesn't get tatty! I tell a lie, I know exactly why they don't, it's because printed card covers cost more than plain cloth ones. But stil...!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few hardbacks here & there. I tend to take the dust jacket off whilst I'm reading & then pop it back on. For some of my paperbacks I buy book protectors :) (mainly for the books I plan to take away for the weekend & what not).

The majority of the books I buy are paperbacks, but I always keep the dust jackets for any hardbacks that I do buy. I would never throw them out... ever! I tend to keep the dust jackets on when I'm reading them too, although I will take it off for transportation purposes, i.e. if it's a book I'm carrying back and forth to work, in order to save it from being damaged whilst in my bag.

• 1 month later...

When I read a hardback I tend to use the flaps of the dust jacket as book marks. I start with the front flap then when I get further into the book I switch to the back flap. A bad habit I know but there are worse.

I try not to buy hardback books, mainy because they're too heavy and they don't fit on my shelf :irked: But when I do read them, I take the cover off. I think it just gets in the way or gets crumpled, so I just read it without that put it back when I'm finished.

When I read a hardback I tend to use the flaps of the dust jacket as book marks. I start with the front flap then when I get further into the book I switch to the back flap. A bad habit I know but there are worse.

Oooh I do that too lol... I am pretty obsessive about keeping my books in good condition though... I just don't care much about the jacket since no matter what you do they always end up in a mess lol