Your Book Activity Today - Thread 12

Janet

I am deciding between two books (I stillw anted to stay in the Crime Genre) erica Spindler - In silence. Which is one of the books that Charm gave me. Or M.J. Rose - The Halo Effect. A book I have had for months to read. I will be readin this book for hte rest of the day, so I have to pick wisely.

I would vote for In Silence (you really need to read a Spindler), but I guess that's cause I'm biased and I haven't even read The Halo Effect! :giggle2:

I finished Generation Dead yesterday which I adored! Can you believe it? Zombies and I loved it! But then I think it helped that I actually felt sorry for some of them. :blush: Now I've started The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold and am pretty surprised at how much I'm liking it. I'd heard it could be hard to get into, but I got absorbed into it straight away. :D

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would vote for In Silence (you really need to read a Spindler), but I guess that's cause I'm biased and I haven't even read The Halo Effect! :giggle2:

I finished Generation Dead yesterday which I adored! Can you believe it? Zombies and I loved it! But then I think it helped that I actually felt sorry for some of them. :blush: Now I've started The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold and am pretty surprised at how much I'm liking it. I'd heard it could be hard to get into, but I got absorbed into it straight away. :D

I really enjoyed The lovely Bones too, and I would vote for the Erica Spindler too.

I have finished the Skullduggery Pleasant and I loved it, now I am wondering what to read as I can't touch my holiday books will have a look and probably re-read something :D

I already had most of John Le Carré's books, but have now sewn up the last of the Smiley Series... A Murder of Quality came in the mail today. Yays!

I also finished Death of the Adversary by Hans Keilson. Anyone that wants to know what it was like to live in Germany in the 1930's as a young [or really otherwise] Jew, the bewilderment and bitterness and slow realization of what was really happening, should read this book. Keilson speaks from experience and beautifully portrays the era.

I'm reading Wild Swans:Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang. I found it at a garage sale last summer for less than a dollar.

I have that in the stack!

Great price Abc...!

I have that in the stack!

Great price Abc...!

It's good too. This happens all the time. I'll buy a book, usually at a deep discount, then let it rest on the shelf til I run out of interlibrary loan books. Then I'll find that bargain book was an absolute gem of a book. I wonder if they don't ripen on the shelf like apples and bananas :giggle2:

It's good too. This happens all the time. I'll buy a book, usually at a deep discount, then let it rest on the shelf til I run out of interlibrary loan books. Then I'll find that bargain book was an absolute gem of a book. I wonder if they don't ripen on the shelf like apples and bananas :giggle2:

They do, they really do! :readingtwo:

I only got up to page 70 of Sweetness last night, but am continuing to love it :D. Hopefully I'll get another chunk in tonight before falling asleep. I also found out that there are 2 library book sales going on this Saturday, both within about 10 miles of eachother so I'm going to try and hit both ;).

Well. We made an unexpected trip into town and just happened to pass the Barnes & Noble book store. /innocent/

I just happened to have a list in my wallet, and amazingly enough B&N had all three of the books of a set that I wanted. /more innocence/

Regeneration, The Eye in the Door and The Ghost Road by Bat Barker, the latter having won the Booker in 1994 or 5.

We had a lovely conversation with a young woman that noticed us looking at the new cover of Wild Swans. She had that one in her hand, along with another book, I think the title was something like Singapore Girls, something along those lines. Anyhow, she asked us about Wild Swans, and which one would we recommend. It turns out she is marrying into a Chinese family and is trying to read books that will help her understand more about his family. We recommended Wild Swans, and I happened to have a list of four Chinese classics with me, so gave her that as well. Sweet young woman.

:cool:

Sweet young woman.

I bet she was thinking the same about you for being so helpful! :)

I'm plodding along with both of my books but I've been so tired and busy that I haven't been getting much reading done lately.

Pontalba, I read Regeneration by Pat Barker and was a bit ambivalent about it. However, it's one of the few books I've reread, and I enjoyed it much more on its second outing. I haven't got round to reading the two sequels yet. I hope you enjoy them. :)

I have about 45 pages remaining of Cakes and Ale by Somserset Maugham. It is my third encounter with him, having previously read The Painted Veil and The Moon and Sixpence, both of which I was extremely fond of. He's incredibly easy to read, which may account for how long and successful his writing career was.

I haven't read any Maugham but I like the sound of The Moon and Sixpence.

I'm two-thirds of the way through The White Queen by Phillipa Gregory, which is our latest Bookgroup read.

I really enjoyed The lovely Bones too, and I would vote for the Erica Spindler too.

We both have impeccable taste! :friends3:

I finally finished Deja Demon and started Hickory Dickory Dock by Agatha Christie.

:( My Mojo seems to have left me a bit, as I started Deja Demon almost 2 weeks ago.

I shall try to get Generation Dead posted off to you today, hopefully it will perk up your mojo! :wink:

so I decided to read the Erica Spindler novel, In silence. I see what you mean Charm about the Slaughter type of book. small town, sherriff, independant woman. I am only 50 pages in and I am liking it already :D

Hoping to read loads more today.

so I decided to read the Erica Spindler novel, In silence. I see what you mean Charm about the Slaughter type of book. small town, sherriff, independant woman. I am only 50 pages in and I am liking it already :D

Hoping to read loads more today.

Yay! I knew you'd like it! :D :D :D

Well. We made an unexpected trip into town and just happened to pass the Barnes & Noble book store. /innocent/

I just happened to have a list in my wallet, and amazingly enough B&N had all three of the books of a set that I wanted. /more innocence/

Regeneration, The Eye in the Door and The Ghost Road by Bat Barker, the latter having won the Booker in 1994 or 5.

We had a lovely conversation with a young woman that noticed us looking at the new cover of Wild Swans. She had that one in her hand, along with another book, I think the title was something like Singapore Girls, something along those lines. Anyhow, she asked us about Wild Swans, and which one would we recommend. It turns out she is marrying into a Chinese family and is trying to read books that will help her understand more about his family. We recommended Wild Swans, and I happened to have a list of four Chinese classics with me, so gave her that as well. Sweet young woman.

Wild Swans is an excellent book for helping one understand the ins and outs of Chinese family life. Right away, one gets the idea that just like the rest of us, there's the ideal and then there's reality, Human nature being what it is.

Last night I read the first 50 pages of We Have Always Lived in the Castle. I'd not read anything by Jackson before...only seen the film years ago, The Haunting of Hill House. Someone [sorry can't remember who it was now :blush: ] on here told me that the others were not so way out creepy, so I bought this one and The Lottery. I'm loving it [WHALITC] so far.

Abc, that's exactly what I thought about Wild Swans. Thanks. :)

Edited by pontalba

I'm about 160 pages into Codex by Lev Grossman, and I'm LOVING it. I don't understand all the bad reviews it's getting. Sure, the characters aren't amazing, but who cares? It's about a codex and a video game!

And one thing is for sure, I want to read that book. The Viage To The Contree Of The Cimmerians. (It's the codex of the title, and mythical, though if existant thought to be someone pretending to be a contemporary of Chaucer in the 1300's.) The story sounds epic. I wish it actually existed.

Yay! I knew you'd like it! :D :D :D

YOu know me so well. thank you for giving me the chance to read it.

I'm about 160 pages into Codex by Lev Grossman, and I'm LOVING it. I don't understand all the bad reviews it's getting. Sure, the characters aren't amazing, but who cares? It's about a codex and a video game!

And one thing is for sure, I want to read that book. The Viage To The Contree Of The Cimmerians. (It's the codex of the title, and mythical, though if existant thought to be someone pretending to be a contemporary of Chaucer in the 1300's.) The story sounds epic. I wish it actually existed.

I am so glad you like it. I will bump it up the pile now. The blurb sounded so interesting.

I've haven't read anything for a while now. I can't decide on which book to read. Think I'm going through a bit of a "none-reading-spell". Help! :lol:

Oh dear, I hate it when that happens.

As for me I have not had mch reading time as I have not been well, but feeling better and hope to do some much needed reading when the kiddie-winks are in bed :D