Your Book Activity Today - Thread 12

Janet

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting near the end of This Alien Shore. :D

I had the same kind of reaction to The Book Thief, kezlehan.

It just didn't seem to go anywhere. All the reviews I read said how great it was. I failed to see anything great. I'll admit it was a good read, and for some reason I did find it hard to put down, but I'm wondering if that's just because I wanted to get to the end...

It just didn't seem to go anywhere. All the reviews I read said how great it was. I failed to see anything great. I'll admit it was a good read, and for some reason I did find it hard to put down, but I'm wondering if that's just because I wanted to get to the end...

I felt that same. While I was reading, I thought there was a potential for a great book, and that kept me going, but I felt disappointed when I finished it. I don't know quite how to explain. It was like the book wanted to be more then it was. That may be because I was expecting more than what was actually there because of all the positive reviews I had heard. I didn't hate the book. I just wasn't overcome with any emotion about it.

I'm going to start John Irving's A Widow for One Year. It's been on my TBR stack for several years, but we just watched The Door in the Floor, which covers the first 1/3rd of the novel. I have to read it now! :cool:

Edited by pontalba

Read 50 pages of Flu last night, and this morning I'm catching a train from Leeds to Manchester Picadilly, and then I have a 40 minute wait until my next train at Picadilly... Plenty of time for reading :)

Edited by kezlehan

I am doing a bit of easy reading at the moment as work is so stressful so its August Heat Inspector Montalbano, I love him its so funny and the food descriptions make me salivate even at 7am I fancy a squid salad :D

My friend has lent me Ark by Stephen Baxter so I am looking forward to another post apocalyptic trip of depression in a world where the world has flooded (its a continuation of Flood)

Over the weekend I read Michael Moorcock's Behold The Man and got about halfway through Daniel Keyes' Flowers For Algernon. Am also reading James Patterson's Cross Country on the tube in the mornings but I'm not enjoying it very much.

After a thoroughly enjoyable weekend away watching England at the cricket I got some reading done today. I read about 40 pages of The Shadow of the Wind and intend to read some more before bed this evening. My holiday is now just under 3 weeks away and the decision making has already begun about what to take. The only book that has definitely made the list so far is The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. There are many other possibles but The Book Thief and Marcus Trescothicks autobiography are also pretty close to making the cut.

Finished Ecstasy Unveiled by Larissa Ione and have decided to take a break from supes and start Copycat by Erica Spindler. :D

Good choice Charm - enjoy it, I did!

I'm halfway through Dexter is Delicious and I'm not disappointed, really enjoying it. :)

Good choice Charm - enjoy it, I did!

I'm halfway through Dexter is Delicious and I'm not disappointed, really enjoying it. :)

Thanks pipread! I hope I do enjoy it, the problem is my mojo wants to gorge out on supes and I'm trying to change it's reading diet back to it's older, 'more thinking required' type reads :blush: I hope I don't chase it away!

Glad to hear the delicious one is back on form too, I may have to order it soon, although I'm trying to build up some funds first! ;)

Thanks pipread! I hope I do enjoy it, the problem is my mojo wants to gorge out on supes and I'm trying to change it's reading diet back to it's older, 'more thinking required' type reads :blush: I hope I don't chase it away!

Glad to hear the delicious one is back on form too, I may have to order it soon, although I'm trying to build up some funds first! ;)

If CopyCat doesn't work for your mojo then you've got big trouble!

I'm saving funds by using the library more at the moment, especially as I seem to be ploughing through books at the minute - long may it last. Happy reading.

I seem to be ploughing through books at the minute - long may it last. Happy reading.

Oh yes .. I most certainly do hope it lasts and lasts for you, enjoy indulging your mojo! :D

I finished 'Dead in the Family' by Charlaine Harris and I am just about to start 'Generation Dead' by Daniel Waters :)

Yesterday I finished The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom. I guess I'll start The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy next since I'm still waiting for my requested copy of The Perks of Being a Wallflower from the library.

I finished The Affair of the stained egg cosy this morning I was determined to get to the end before I had to lever myself out of bed and come to work and I did it by the skin of my teeth. I love having a pile of books by my bed to read now not sure what to delve into next.

Mojo is definitely returning. It took me a week to read a short medieval whodunnit and just one day to read an equally short Maigret story :blush: Now I'm ready for my next book which will be The Scapegoat by Daphne du Maurier.