Group Read Of The Hobbit

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the Hobbit and I have it around somewhere. I actually prefer it to each LOTR book. I fell in love with the story since I read it in early teens :smile2:

I'm going to commit myself here.

I have been avoiding the Book Circles (despite getting the book each month) because my reading mojo has been on an extended holiday. Maybe I need to just commit to a book, and get on with it!

Let me know when you want to get going Katrina, I'll go dust down one of my copies. :smile2:

Chrissy, why don't you dust your copy down now, ready for reading? Perhaps the anticipation of knowing you're about to start reading something will bring your mojo back? Choose a bookmark to use, smell the pages, maybe open the cover a couple of times, and do all the things booklovers do when they're about to start another written journey.

Worth a try!

It's next on my reading list so why not! I just started the Kite Runner today and I'm 50 pages in so far... if I can finish that one in time before you lot have already finished the Hobbit, I'll definitely be reading along with you and commenting as I go. :smile2:

Book is dusted down, and ready to be read....now, where did I put my Middle Earth costume and my sword? :D

I don't remember Gollum having a sword . . .

*Run's away, very quickly!*

I'm in, in fact, I've already finished the first chapter!

Chapter One....The Unexpected Party

Okay, so I've read the first chapter and yet again, it makes me want to go dig a hole in a hill:lol: I think thats what I love most about Tolkien's description of the Hobbits and their dwellings. Its such a cozy feeling. I want tea and biscuits. I want the lovely garden and the small village were everyone knows everyone else.

I'm mentally trying to find away to turn my home into a hobbit cottage!:D

Now, reading this for the 5th time, I've often wondered about Gandalf. Have you noticed his ability to arrive, set things in motion and then sit back and watch? He hasnt laid eyes on Bilbo Baggins in almost 50 years but he believes Bilbo needs an adventure and so he sets him up to be a theif. I'm almost certain I would tolerate the same kind of treatment.

Edited by Katrina1968

Now I do believe had Baggins known that he was to have dwarves over for tea, he would have fedd them appropriately but as he had no idea (thanks to Gandalf) they got what they got! But remember, the dwarves DID request those cakes:lol:

I love the feeling of longevity and history that is heavy in the opening chapters, from the early descriptions of Bilbo, and his ancestry, through his recognition of Gandalf to the story the dwarfs bring with them. All family and deep seated history. :)

I adore Bilbo's battle between his manners and his fears. Gandalf is a canny wizard, and I love his approach to things with how he told the dwarfs that he had found them a burgular, but neglected to mention any of this to Bilbo. :blush:

The theme Tolkien uses when approaching Gandalf's character is something which is present in almost all modern fantasy containing wizards. It seems that wizards must use people in order to carry out their work, and as such, the common phrase "the end justifies the means" is very relevant.

In Tolkien's work, everything is fated to a degree. For instance, that Bilbo should be the one Gandalf chose for this particular journey was neccessary so that Frodo would later 'inherit' the ring for Lord of the Rings.

I think that the homely setting in which The Hobbit begins is a tool used to magnify the discomfort Bilbo will feel later on during his adventure.

Katrina, if you have read/ go on to read other works by Tolkien, such as The Silmarillion and The Unfinished Tales, I believe it is explained somewhere in some way that Gandalf only has so much power. He is not there to ensure that something happens, but rather to guide and assist those who can make it happen. He is only allowed to do so much. I can't remember where this is actually written though...

The other item of importance is that Gandalf is far older and wiser than almost any in Middle-earth. 50 hobbit years to Gandalf must pass like hours to us.

Of course none of this is actually relevant to The Hobbit itself, but it is interesting to delve into the history that Tolkien crafted to each of his creations.

Chrissy, if you like the history and the longevity, the ancestry, and so on, you might find you'll enjoy Tolkien's other works if you haven't already read them.

You know Vanwa, that thought about the comfort of the Hobbits did cross my mind. From extreme comfort to extreme deprivation.

I remember reading something about Gandalf's powers being limited but I think it may have been in LOTR. As of yet, I have not been able to bring myself to read The Simarillion.

Chrissy, I read his biography and the author said that Tolkien spent 16 years creating middle-earth. He really had a desire to create his own world and I think he succeeded beyond even his own imagination. The elven language, the middle-earth creatures and of course, the history. Tolkien fascinates me!

In that case Katrina you might be interested to know that Tolkien started to write The Silmarillion and the history of Middle-earth in 1917, on which he continued his work even during the war, and was working on it a few weeks prior to his death in 1973. At least, 1917 is the earliest piece of writing his son Christopher Tolkien has found to date. The Silmarillion is magical because it is both his first and his last piece of work.

It is truly a lifetime's work (spanning at least 56 years). And virtually everything Tolkien ever wrote has some founding in these early writings.